The Death Star doesn't make sense

Why would a laser blow up a planet? Logically, it should just go straight through the planet, only damaging the things the laser touches. Sure, it would cause a huge earthquake, but it wouldn't blow up the planet.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dsudx1vr0k8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_pressure
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Could it cause the core to explode? Who knows

Because it was a kyber crystal energy beam you fucking pleb, read a book nigger.

The laser is what excites the plasma

The amount of energy from the lazer could cause an explosive chain reaction in the core.

this. most planet cores are full of oil or coal or other explosive type material

> lazor delivers energy to planet's mantle
> mantle goes from liquid to gas
> bkkkkshhhhhh

it's all fantasy anyway, it's might be an antimatter death ray or a entropy accelerator or any other such nonsense if that makes you feel better

a straight monochrome lazor was probably the easiest thing to do in 70s cgi to represent a doomsday weapon

just waiting for the cartoon manchildren with their "explanations"

Its not a laser, its a bolt of energized matter with a ludicrous amount of kinetic energy that is then transferred into the planet upon impact exceeding the gravitational binding energy of the planet resullting in it going KABOOM.

Because it's not a laser you retard it's a SUPERLASER

Just like Superman can do things a normal man can't do, like flying and shooting lasers out of his eyes, a Superlaser can do things a normal laser can't.

Who knew professor Hawking browsed Sup Forums

No those substances are not dense enough to be in the core.

The Ewoks are all dead anyway, so who cares?

>Laser

Something like this. They wouldn't fire the laser through the planet, but into the planet. The planet tries to absorb the impact and blow

>Logically, it should just go straight through the planet
>this should do absolutely nothing to the surrounding area
what fucking logic is this?
have you even walked by a highschool physics class?
>millions of tonnes of water in the laser's radius expands from liquid to gas nearly instantaneously, creating immense force
>minerals, soil, etc all go from solid to molten liquid to gas nearly immediately, also expanding immensely in the process
>this goes for every material through the entire planet from one end to the other including the core
>should have no effect on anything outside of the laser's immediate point of contact lol!

actually retarded
I don't even know what fucking bullshit the in-universe explanation could be but this is basic as fuck

>a Superlaser can do things a normal laser can't
Like shooting Supermen out of its eyes?

maximum quality bait

pristine condition 11/10

not true no ones has even traveled to the core yet, its probably full of nuclear materiel like the sun

>laser
Kek, get on my level plebs.

You must've missed the part when OP said the most the laser would've done was an earthquake.

The first prototype weapon was a giant light saber. This was abandoned when the engineers couldnt solve the problem of the Death Star crashing into the target as it was swinging the giant light saber beam into contact with the target planet.
So they went with the less elegant blaster type energy beam.

Such is life in the Empire.

Holy shit, I used to play this game as a kid.

>implying

>learn physics
>learn canon
>come back

Ask this guy.

I literally did miss that part
also I definitely don't know enough about physics to make any sort of educated estimate on how much of an influence that kind of force would have on a planet at that scale, so my rudimentary understanding of the building blocks of physics combines with the information I'm provided by the movie (the planet blows up) and the little leap of logic I make ("this" could conceivably lead to "that") is what forms my suspension of disbelief, which is how all sci-fi and fantasy "rules" work

it makes enough sense to me, so it's accepted and then glossed over

Its not a laser

Yeah there's a bunch of dynamite and gunpowder in the center of the earth

Can I get an illustration of this? Because that's a pretty fun mental image

its hitting the surface with a gigantic lightsaber blade at the speed of light

>laser
>impacting
Pick one lasers can only burn through things because they are not matter, only things with mass can impact stuff.

Yes

It shoots supermen at planets, and everybody knows superman beats rock

no not dynamite but explosive natural minerals and isotopes and whatnot, where do you think lava comes from, ever see a volcano explode? that lava comes from the core and has already cooled down a lot by the time it gets to the surface

>but explosive natural minerals and isotopes and whatnot
Are you actually this ignorant and stupid or am I being baited

>Luke, did I ever tell you about the Anal Cannon? The Anal Cannon is loaded when a funnel is placed into an asshole, and the 2nd whore pukes into it. After the ass is filled with puke, a cock then fucks it until the pressure is all built up. After the Asshole has been fucked hard enough, the cock is pulled out and the Anal cannon explodes! To top it all off, ass to mouth occurs, with both ladies licking off the fresh mix of vomit and ass for the ultimate anal dessert! They were good friends.

The core is most likely made of ultra dense iron and nickel.

Light is both a particle and a wave. Crack open a book for once in your life.

Im sure its explaines logically in the star wars wiki by experts

there's a more cost effective way to destroy planets: go to a solar system's asteroid belt or oort cloud and chuck rocks/ice at the planet

or if that's too slow then just hurl trash through a faster than light gateway.

i cant find this entry on wookiepedia

>t. laser expert

youtube.com/watch?v=dsudx1vr0k8

Laser causes rapid heating.

then the planet would just melt, not explode

Rapid heating causes rapid expansion of gases which builds massive amounts of pressure under the crust which eventually succumbs to the pressure and blows up.

>why would an asteroid blow up a planet, logically it should just go straight through the planet

jesus

PARTICLES WITH NO MASS.

but nonzero momentum
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_pressure

They aren't lasers, there are no lasers in star wars.

the gases just escape into the atmosphere

>Comparing two separate things with not many similarities.
Please try again.

it's a science fantasy flick

why do you care?

They mention lasers several times in the films.

it's from my head canon