Why isn't Bjork popular in America?

Why isn't Bjork popular in America?

Why isn't U2 popular in South Africa?

she was

Probably has to do with her having a 25 year long solo career that already peaked in popularity by the mid 2000s and having music that, while not really inaccessible, isn't entirely radio friendly.

Probably a couple reasons
For one thing, I think she was too techno too early
The sort of techno/dnb/house/trip hop she was channeling never broke through in America the way it did in Europe - it was seen as effeminate music for gay clubs over here
For another thing, I think she was much more in keeping with a European view of beauty than an American one
She exhibits a pure, young, elfin beauty more in line with European preferences than the big-breasted, promiscuous dame preferred by us Americans
Most importantly, because of her predilection toward electronic experimentation and progressive arrangements, she was persistently marketed as "alternative music" in America rather than mainstream pop
Kate Bush had never broken through over here, so we hadn't had the path paved for that sort of thing
Could be wrong, these are just conjecture

Reminder that this woman was never even slightly popular in America

too ugly

>Volta was 9th on Billboard 200 in 2007

yeah then next week it was out of the top 100

that's not really popular at all, just means she had a significant cult following

Iceland is in North America though

Not sure if you're being serious, but it's not.
Even if it was, just because two countries share a continent doesn't make them similar. I don't think many people would say that Portugal and Russia are similar culturally.

Not quite. It's split right down the middle between the american and the eurasian plate techtonics

The pic you posted was a pretty good reason

Iceland is the biggest fucking hipster country in the world.

>Our language has been the same for a thousand years!
>Our parliament is older than any government!
>everyone here believes in elves, but we do it ironically.
the entire landscape looks like instagram.
>lol iceland is green and greenland is icey. our ancestors did it as a goof hehe, do you get it?
what's some normal music from iceland like? they don't have it. bjork is normal there.
>oh, you guys let the government bail out the bankers? when they tried that here we all went out in the street and demanded they stop right that second. why didnt you try that?
fuckin hipster scum stay on your elitist island

makes me want to live there now

I'm not sure if this is "kek Bork is an ugly" or you're referring to the the cover of Medulla being so strange. If so, it's very likely that the elaborate costumes that Björk would start to wear after this point could alienate mainstream audiences and make her music seem more weird and inaccessible.

America was never as into electronic music in the 90s as much as Britain or the rest of Western Europe.
We were too busy with grunge and hip hop at the time.

Because the Brits used to be patrician
A Laurie Anderson song reached no. 2 on the UK charts (not even the indie charts, the main one)

wow fag none of what you pointed out is a big deal and I'm sure they don't make it a big deal themselves.

Mr. Freedom doesn't like freedom i see