The Young Pope

kino

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eXPIntXfC1I
io9.gizmodo.com/if-you-liked-suicide-squad-you-ll-love-the-young-pope-1791268771
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

venus of willendorf is a pawg
voiello is high test

Best scene in the season?

>your face when you realized the edgy pilot was to get on the air and the director could go full Catholic

Go.

What do you have in the morning

so we basically repeat the last thread? fine, then.
/ourgirl/

was the implication that he healed the diseased water as a means to help stop the war? thats what i got out of it.

>spiritual father of the Catholic Church
>is an orphan practically raised by the same Church

Salinger
Kubrick
Banksy
Daft Punk
Pope Pious XIII

>tfw no qt Greenlander pm gf

>Salinger

His only shitty taste

>cucked by lutherans

Maybe he was healing the water, but I just saw him praying in some barren stretch of bumfuck Africa instead of being by the general's side or whatever and that he's seeing the beauty despite the violence and corruption around him. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if he was able to perform another miracle, they'd acknowledge it more explicitly like they did with him healing that woman when he was a child, Esther getting pregnant, and the corrupt nun dying.

Him praying on his knees in some desert (and later on the asphalt at some truck stop) are an interesting contrast to the opulent garments he wore in front of the cardinals

Do you guys think that we will continue to see Lenny continue his path of reforming the church and returning it to past values or does the end of the season indicate that he is going to become more liberal and placate the masses with liberal policies? I really hope he continues being the hard-ass he was for most of the series because his speeches were fucking amazing.

He will save their souls.

You're right about the contrasting imagery im sure. The reason I think he healed the water is that it was alluded to that the water was diseased, and the war revolved around the water, the speech about peace is played over the image of him praying at the water. Every time he prays with his arms out stretched like that he has a direct message to god and all but once (and this time with the water) a miracle follows. The other time he prays with his arms out and nothing happens is when he prays to be given any punishment that he has put onto spencer and voiello.

>no friendly relationships
>only formal ones

Defend this
There is no defense for fucking with the cook nun.

>the vicar of christ
>the living conduit to god
>treating him like a 5 year old and pinching his cheeks
Geez I have no idea what was so wrong about this.

Sister Mary keeps calling him a Saint. The kangaroo thing happens then she alludes to something else at dinner but he cuts her off. Could he be a real vessel of god?

this
the nun was asking for it

>You're right about the contrasting imagery im sure.
Thinking about it after I wrote that, I'm pretty sure that the whole opulent shit is political maneuvering...he understands that to convince the cardinals of his resolve to not be manipulated or caught up in politics, he has to appear as am emperor/king to appeal to their human weaknesses. When he's praying in earnest (i.e., when he has his hands outstretched like you mentioned), he is in simple white robes because he knows that God doesn't care about things like that.

You do raise a good point about how after he prays in earnest, a miracle does happen. Perhaps we'll see in S2 what happens with the water issues.

He chasisted the cook because she was being inordinately informal/familiar with the person that had become the new pope

keep watching and you'll know, it was something happened in the past

so how can he get himself accredited as christ?
he mentioned it to the italian PM. is such a thing really possible?

Shes referring to the miracle she saw first hand, when he heals the grounds keeper's wife
spoiler in case you havent finished the show i guess

the vicar of christ

>living conduit to God

lol like any priest

I think hes legitimately uninterested in the politics. He seems to be omnipotent, so he has no use for the usual political tactics that voiello employs. He can't be manipulated because he has no secrets to exploit. Voiello almost creates one with Esther, but realizes his mistake - he doesnt want to exploit a saint

>Your snack is ready, your Holiness

Lucky the stupid "war without end" edgy shit gets replaced by a vastly superior Lenny

No, I think it was that he was refusing to legitimize the military dictator, and praying out in the desert instead of next to Commander Ooga Booga's soldiers.

We need a north american only thread for neew episodes since the Euros are so far ahead.

Thats obvious, but I think the implication was he also healed the water.

I don't have a face.
Lenny will save the souls of the cardinals.

every single episode is already online in HD though

"Political maneuvering" might probably was the wrong term. I agree that he is legit uninterested in politics...the whole opulent act is just a way to get everyone to shut up and admit that he is the Pope/in charge faster.

pretty good show overall i think.

all papists still need to be gassed though

K E T C H I K A N, A L A S K A

Beauty at low temperatures.....

>all papists still need to be gassed though

I think the opulence is just him bringing the church back to its hay day, when the church was "closer to god" and more powerful. Its the embodiment of where he wants to take the church.

He has a new throne/chair made and has the crown recalled specifically for his talk with the cardinals to show them he isn't fucking around. When he's carried in with full garb for the first time and the crown is the exact moment that the cardinals realize hes serious. Maybe its an act to show power I cant really say
I think lenny is the second coming so everything he does is kind of like "im god and i like to wear this opulent stuff because its for me, why shouldnt I?" or "this is what i had written in my book why wouldn't i follow it?"

>all papists still need to be gassed though

>implying lenny isn't the antichrist

did you watch the show

>Tfw Catholics have all the good memes

youtube.com/watch?v=eXPIntXfC1I
>this fucking scene

> As of 2017, John F. Kennedy is the only Roman Catholic to have been elected President of the United States.

JFK died for our sins

I think Lenny is just a saint. What you're suggesting would probably be going a little too far.

>tfw Lenny is metaphorically sending them to the 9th circle of hell

>Beads

Time for your snack, your Holiness

yes

I have to admit that the "war without end" stuff did make a certain amount of sense. He had a good point when he mentioned that fundamentalist Islam was growing rapidly while progressive Christian sects* are declining.

The Church is still somewhere in the middle, which is why it has continued to grow, albeit not that quickly.

*he doesn't specifically name them, but the Lutherans are the best example of this

Why is this show so fucking good? Is this what kino looks like?

So was he lying? He completely changed some details of the story compared to the first time he told it.

it's well shot, well acted and deals with universal themes in a mature manner that are relatable to many people + some weird shit here and there

I think the first time he was talking to one of his underling, and he didn't want him to know he was being molested so he changed it into "the man was touching my mother"

the 2nd time, well you can't lie to the pope

>watch The Young Pope, enjoy it
>later follow a link to a TradCath blog discussing all the inner machinations rumoured to be happening with Pope Francis
>mfw

>He has a new throne/chair made and has the crown recalled specifically for his talk with the cardinals to show them he isn't fucking around. When he's carried in with full garb for the first time and the crown is the exact moment that the cardinals realize hes serious. Maybe its an act to show power I cant really say
Exactly.

>pope is a fedora tipping edgelord who acts like a massive faggot towards everyone

KEKOLICS BTFO

Like said he probably was molested, but he was attempting to manipulate Lenny into forgiving him

>forces his hand to ketichikan
>not even with parkinsons would you be so far away from pointing at new york
>the look of confusing he gives lenny, he clearly didnt want to point there
this is why i think lenny is god. its not even a miracle he just forced someone to send themselves to hell

>mfw kurtwell thought he had some serious shit on Lenny but it turn out just some old love letters and made the pope look even better

did he even read them, like what the fuck man, what was your plan?

Pope Pious XIII telling like it is. The Pope is the vessel for God; not be a celebrity.

That does make sense, thanks

>tripfag is a faggot unable to contribute to discussion in any positive manner

Every time

I think he's a saint, or at least has a strong connection to God in a more personal manner
Him being God seems too far fetched

I don't think the understood the implications. In his mind, he had love letters written by the Pope, and that was damning on its own. He didn't consider that they contained no evidence of any wrongdoing, and he also didn't understand how the public would react.

Public relations are weird and confusing and nobody is ever really sure how the general population will react to this kind of stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was telling the truth about what happened; many people who commit sexual assault were themselves molested. I'm not saying that it becomes excusable, but rather that sexual abuse messes with your brain unless you get counseling for it.

I don't think he was manipulating Lenny. I think this was the first time he genuinely bared his soul to another person.

it's Pius not Pious

>implying the non-pleb americans haven't watched the show yet

Explain why people called him "Pio" then, HHMMMM?

If Lenny was actually god, then abortions would stop and the Dodgers would move back to Brooklyn.

At the beginning he says no abortion, he argues with spencer about it. Dont remember if he reversed that stance though

No, I mean that abortions would literally stop. Like nobody would have them anymore. If Lenny was God and could change the world as he pleased, then the world would start changing to suit his will.

WHO /CATHOLIC/ HERE

>M-my snack?
>areyoufuckingserious.jpeg

I'm an atheist and this show is awful____

But humans have free will

I was baptized Catholic but never set foot in a Catholic church except for Christmas and Easter. Never did communion or anything like that either.

Actually, it was San Francisco....

Kekked audibly at that scene

Ketchikan it is!

>if God were here people would seek and continue to follow His will

LOL

god doesnt even work that way in the bible dude

In the words of the Nobel winning author Joseph Brodsky, "beauty at low temperatures is beauty"

>Implying he wasn't right
>implying he shouldn't continue his plan and have the most devoted church in hundreds of years
>implying you wouldn't be a part of Lenny's new crusades and help retake Constantinople.

>Catholicism
>Following the bible

Why is it atheists struggle so openly with this show? Not all of them, obviously, but you don't here "I don't agree with gangsters" as reason to like Godfather or whatever.
This is the most childish shit sometimes too. Is the anti-religious sentiment real?

io9.gizmodo.com/if-you-liked-suicide-squad-you-ll-love-the-young-pope-1791268771

Because they're autistic, you have to be an extra kind of stupid to not recognise how great the show is because of your religious (or lack of) beliefs

THIS IS KATANA

how could someone so fundamentally misunderstand the show

>people have problem with priest reinstating pedophile priests elsewhere
>young pope resolves issue with pedophile priest by reinstating pedophile priest elsewhere
>people praise him

I was baptized and raised catholic.

Non practicing, essentially atheist.

Catholic Kino is top notch.

I guess I was taking it too literally, like "what if Lenny had God powers" in a sort of Bruce Almighty-type situation. But you're right, that would kind of contradict almost everything in the Bible.

>Implying he wasn't right
>implying he shouldn't continue his plan and have the most devoted church in hundreds of years

I don't think he was. Those times are over, if the Church is going to become more traditional again then it needs a lot more than a reactionary Pope. Look at the Protestants in America, they've basically decided en masse to become more religious, no one person told them to do that.

>implying you wouldn't be a part of Lenny's new crusades and help retake Constantinople

The Catholics are the reason that Constantinople is Muslim to begin with.

>Is the anti-religious sentiment real?
Of course it is

I think it has to due with being uneducated. If your entire personality revolves around NOT BELIEVING IN GOD and HATING CHURCH then you probably know nothing about the bible, or the history of christianity. Im agnostic and took bible as literature and some other classes dealing with religion, understanding the references and symbolism makes this show even better.

grew up and raised as catholic
pretty much atheist now but i fucking love the show
never have any problem with religious movies except those trash tier protestant flicks, frankly because they just suck

there isn't enough evidence to turn him over for a secular criminal investigation i assume. idk why they didn't publicly disgrace him and defrock him though, can you do that to a cardinal?

How can I watch this legally in Australia?