Is this Miyazaki's best work?

I'd certainly say so.

Also, what movies feature a protagonist as effortlessly smooth as Porco Rosso?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y1hzHolsgCM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably, I don't know. For me, Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite Miyazaki film.

I bet a lot of people would argue for Princess Mononoke or Tonari no Totoro, though.

>I bet a lot of people would argue for Princess Mononoke or Tonari no Totoro, though.

that's mononoke-hime, gaijin. if you're gonna bust out the awkward "I'm an anime expert" romaji for one thing might as well for the rest

Yeah yeah, whatever. I only watched it once. Didn't care for it.

To be honest, I couldn't remember the name for My Neighbor Totoro when I posted it. My brain could only remember the Japanese title.

I honestly think that Miyazaki's greatest work to date is easily Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Don't most people prefer Spirited Away? I prefer Howl but I like all of them except Castle in the Sky.

this scene was pure

I'd rank it fifth

1. Totoro
2. Mononoke
3. Kiki
4. Spirited Away
5. Porco Rosso

Fight me

Porco Rosso is just beauty and the beast.

so is beauty and the beast

>my neighbor pleboro
>no nausicaa

Kiki is true kino. The other films are good but only plebs would list anything other than Kiki as the best.

Hands down my favorite story from his lot and I would say best overall film. The scene where he shows off his repaired plane to Gina gets me every dang time and none of his other movies do that for me.

Damn straight about that one, Nausicaa is a great second. While not Miyazaki The tale of Princess Kaguya is still studio ghibli and wonderful.

I couldn't get over that he's a fucking pig

he killed millions

It's his best film, but hardly his best work. Certainly my favorite Miyazaki.

Howl's Moving Castle is literally the only good Miyazaki movie.

Definitely.

Thread theme
youtube.com/watch?v=y1hzHolsgCM

why is Laputa never mentioned in Miyazaki threads? One of the first Ghibli films I've seen and it's easily on my top 5

I never knew tht the japanese title is "red pig"

I guess I can see why they changed it

tfw asuka will never kick you

Princess Kaguya made me cry of anger when the Moon Assholes fucking kidnapped her

Kiki had the footkino

Ummmmm

It's good but it feels incomplete, like episode one of a series or part one of a trilogy.

Mononoke > Cagliostro > Spirited Away > Caste in the Sky > Porco > Totoro > Kiki > Howl > Nausicaä >>> Ponyo > Wind Rises

More like the beauty and the best

I've never watched an anie-may movie before but if I ever did watch one it'd be a Miyazaki. I saw a documentary on him and he seems like a really interesting man.

Mononoke and Nausicaä are trash. Fucking anime slug monsters "uguu kawaii i'm so anime". Fuck that shit.

It offends women, just look at the name

>mononoke that high
>nausicaa, ponyo that low
pleb

im gay

Ponyo is great looking garbage. I don't even know why you'd try to defend it.

so modern art then

Totoro is absolute kinography.

>likes Howl's
>doesn't like Mononoke

I thought I was the only one
this is what it's like when doves cry

No, Miyazaki characteristically ruined it with his shoehorned pedo-shit.

You are just the same autistic man posting this over and over again in these threads, right?

>You'll never fly a hydroplane over the Adriatic

Will too.

No one is gonna talk about Grave of the Fireflies? Wrecks the heart but it's so good.

I admire much Miyazaki's work with animation but he's even better at storytelling. Porco Rosso is a fantastic, engaging and cozy story with totally fleshed out characters and are entertaining from the beggining to the tail. This, Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Kike and The Wind Rises showcases his writing skills the best and are effortlessly making in the creme de la creme of anime.

Make sure to watch Whisper of the Heart for more top tier comfy anime with a similar style and good Miyazaki screenwriting. Its sequel The Cat Returns is also worth checking out.

Why do so many people like Mononoke Hime?
i remember bring really underwhelmed by the overall story and the main character

Love Porco & Nausicaa tho

Not all anime is made by Miyazaki, user

Yes definitely, followed by kikis delivery service. Porco Rosso is amazing.

Laputa is the best of them all.

Its the comfiest for sure.

>medditeranean mid war setting with air pirates and water planes

Literally best setting ever. Steam punk meets air punk.

Porco Rosso is my favorite. I loved the idea of a super cool Rick Blaine type character who looks like a big ridiculous pig with a mustache. And all of the aerial scenes were beautiful and exciting. My 2nd favorite may be Kiki.

Laputa, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbours the Yamadas, On Your Mark and Whisper of the Heart are my five.

Nausicaa is great for action scenes directed by Anno but it's really an abridgement of the manga. I would recommend reading that if you liked that film since it only showed a small section of the story.

It's cheap sentimentalism garbage which manipulates viewers. Still though I'm pretty impressed the director had the balls to kill of those kids in a children's movie.

It's top child entertainment for sure, but its undoubtedly one of his worst written screenplays.

Still solid across the boarders though. The airship travel to Laputa is super comfy, and Laputa itself is a floating mysteryous and fantastical garden with a chunk of forest, strange creatures and a scary castle hiding a secret. Can't get much comfier than that.

9gag found their way here

I saw it first time just an hour ago. It really was wonderful.

>Kike

One of my favourite from Miyazaki. It gives me the same vibes I felt as a kid when I went buying my first GBA SP Legend of Zelda + LoZ The Minish Cap and spent that whole Christmas holiday playing it

>The Wind Rises
>last

Totoro > Porco > Pom Poko > *
Subbed only, obviously.

It was genuinely quite bad. The small relationship moments were touching, but the rest of the movie went nowhere and then it just ends before WWII even starts.

Felt like an inferior Wings of Honnêamise.

HE KILLED TRILLIONS

TO SAVE GORILLIONS

I probably love Whisper of the Heart the most. When they are singing the song in the basement and the old guys join is such a heartwarming scene

>Wings of Honnêamise.

That shit was pretty comfy, I knew nothing of the film before going in and enjoyed a lot of it. Even the random bit of rape.

Ken-Sama here. I study Japanese at highest level and wanted to remind you that this is Kurenai no Buta you speak of.

*disappears into shadows (kage)*

Nah, its whisper of the heart to me. Its a simple lighthearted film that somehow leaves a lasting impression

btw if we're counting all Ghibli films not just Miyazaki's then shove Fireflies into the first spot.

Ken-Sama here. I study Japanese at highest level and wanted to remind you that this is Oneamisu no Tsubasa you speak of.

>whisper of the heart
>miyazaki

I will find you and kill you.

Ken-Sama here. I study Japanese at highest level and wanted to remind you that this is the work of art Kaze Tachinu you speak of.

>wrote the screenplay
>owns the studio
Miyazaki enough for me

Ken-Sama here. I study Japanese at highest level and wanted to remind you that this is Mimi o Sumaseba you speak of.

*disappears into shadows (kage)

not miyazaki but i figure this is the thread to ask about ghibli:

anyone seen ocean waves? It's playing at a theater a couple hours away and i was wondering if it's worth getting down there to see

Wow someone got the ordering right for once. I'd swap Spirited Away and Kiki but that's damned surprising to see someone get that close.

Great song, mate.

>totoro
nothing happens in it

pecard

Really makes you think...

>Why won't you hire me!? Is it because I'm a girl?!
>Yes.
>Oh, that makes sense.
WTF

best part of the kino

that's how you know it's kino.

I agree. Watch it for the first time in anime club. I laughed and all the girls in the room made a sour face.

It's okay, I don't think there are any scenes which would look good on the big screen outside of the train station at the end. Not a bad film though. Feels very different from the rest of the Ghibli lot.

You are the plebbiest pleb to ever pleb on this board

hes not wrong though

sounds reasonable, i'll probably still go just for the experience

Porco is the best and Michael Keaton did a great job as the voice actor.

1.Laputa
2.Spirited away

bye

Nausicaa says hi

Either bait or -50 iq

I only voted 10/10 one Miyazaki movie.

And it was Ponyo

nausicaä has a special place for me. I guess it's because I love the manga so much.

I so wish someone would make a series of the whole thing.

nice b8