I thought this movie was lovely

I thought this movie was lovely.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8Z5LcIkWRmg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You are correct.

>from the director of Whiplash
dropped

It was alright. The pool scene near the beginning had awesome cinematography.

True. That scene was by far one of the most fun to look at.
I would imagine the homages in this movie didn't really allow for much flexibility in the cinematography elsewhere.

>reanimated corpse of Chazelle's first feature film "Guy and Madeline " wearing 65 year old skin of "An American in Paris"
>lovely
More like "abhorrent trash".

Yeah, the ending scene was a clear homage to this.
youtube.com/watch?v=8Z5LcIkWRmg

Sounds good to me

Just took my mum, auntie and cousin too see this. They all hated it. I didn't tell them it was my second viewing lol

>They all hated it
Is it because of the ending?
I assumed the bittersweet ending would be plebcore by now.

Ah yes, the ending "what if" sequence is a clear homage to final episodes of Evangelion, yes yes.

Me too. I liked the warm, cozy look it had. They made modern LA seem not awful.

>They made modern LA seem not awful
By making it empty.

They said the montage was their favorite bit until it revealed it was Seb's imagination and he and Mia didn't end up together.

Other than that, they just said it was boring and the music was bad.

Starts great, grows a bit stale in the middle, gets boring by the end. If you're one of those people who's into romance, you probably liked the ending. Personally I never bought their romance, so that ending didn't do anything for me and the quality of music and dance performances have been steadily decreasing as the movie kept going. First 20 minutes were great though.

>First 20 minutes were great though
Worst part imo

>the montage was their favorite bit until it revealed it was Seb's imagination
W-what? How could you think it wasn't? Did they think it was an alternative universe version of the movie?

You're probably really into the story and the characters here aren't you.

I thought the beginning and ending were the only good parts while the middle really dragged.

>Did they think it was an alternative universe version of the movie?
I did, actually. But I liked when I realized it was their imaginations.

Yeah, but it's because I'm an artist and the movie is extremely relatable. It doesn't help that my girlfriend is also an artist from Paris whose name is Mia.

>I'm an artist and the movie is extremely relatable
You must be a really lucky artist if the story about everyone achieving their impossible dreams was relatable for you. Felt like dishonest cinema to me.

Top kek

>lucky
Sure, you could call it that.

I don't find this kind of dreamy cinema to be "dishonest" as much as it is just some post-ironic attempt to be inspiring. Which I don't personally have a problem with.

>Top kek

Hey, that's a good joke. They should put that in a movie.

>post-ironic
What's beyond ironic then?

Feigned ignorance. New sincerity.

I hope you're being post-ironic right now because you just sound like a twat

>twat
That's a very sincere insult. You sure you don't wanna throw a "kek" in there?

The movie is filled with tropes and it embraces them mostly while being tongue in cheek with few others and that's the think I like the most about it. But you know it kinda feels very nostalgic.
I actually wasn't bored slightest, I wanted it to have another 15 or 20 minutes because I really loved the chemistry between both of the leads and wanted more of their interaction. Also because I felt like the romance was somewhat underdeveloped, so when it's going for that heavy melancholic third act and the bittersweet ending, it didn't effect me the way it should. Maybe that's a fault of movies audacious narrative structure which takes a lot of time to get leads together or maybe it's just my fault that I didn't buy it enough despite movie doing everything well.
Also a lot of people are saying their musicals and dancing aren't the best or feel a bit amateurish, well I think that's kind of the point considering movie doesn't want to make people think it's artificial in nature. So yeah those realistic performance kind of help.

Yes, it's the LA you encounter at Disney World, a completely fake and sterile artifice.

It's a fascist film.

>Other than that, they just said it was boring and the music was bad.
you should have just taken them to see whatever superhero-shit marvel/dc are showing then. you're related to complete plebs