Who was in the wrong here?

Who was in the wrong here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8XIBjEhIL2M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wolfmother sucks

Mike Patton is the greatest rock/metal vocalist of all-time

Talented, yes. Ever made good music? ehhh.......

Right about Wolfmother though.

You gotta admit that Mr. Bungle and Patton-era Faith No More is god-tier toobeehonest

it's good for wacky-core zany lol music I guess. I dunno. I really don't like the aesthetics.

All the wacky lol ZANY COOKEEYYY LOL of bands like Patton ear Faith No More and Mr. Bungle seems to me like it's just a defense mechanism - "lol we could make serious music like all those losers, but we're just like being ironic and sarcastic yknow so like, we're way cooler than you ok? and if you don't like our songs, fuckin who cares cuz we were just joking anyway... we could write good serious music if we wanted... LOL"

>uses "wacky-core zany lol music" as a description
>uses "aesthetics" as criteria for music

please lol wacky zanny kill yourself

Everyone.

Brainlet detected

I gave actual reasons here if you want to respond to them:

There's nothing really ironic or sarcastic about it though. It's more theatrical than anything. If anyone's insecure it's you lmao

Only thing I can dig by Patton is his Fantomas stuff

I actually understand where you're coming from.

Patton always sounds like he's being sarcastic, but that's adds appeal to the music. That being said, there's some real emotion conveyed in songs like Kindergarten, Just a Man, Pink Cigarette, Capt Midnight, etc. even if a few of those have very very tongue in cheek lyrics

I actually have the problem you're having with the Melvins. Buzzo's lyrics to me are usually word soup because he's too insecure to be genuine. Patton's lyrics seem to be more of an accurate representation of his real personality

youtube.com/watch?v=8XIBjEhIL2M

My jam when I did drugs every day

>no u
oh fuk dude. rekt. great argument.

Shit, you spotted my ad hominem. How convenient for you then, that you can ignore absolutely everything else about what I said.

You said nothing. You said. "nu uh... it's theatrical.... no u". "Theatrical"? As in, they're putting it on? As in, it's ironic? Yeah.

The whole attitude of the music is sarcastic. If you are emotion-blind enough that you can't perceive that, it's on you bud.

Sarcasm is an insecure rhetoric. Theatre is art. When someone like Mike Patton sings, it's felt, you're just too much of a plebian to appreciate it. Enjoy your sad, introverted indie folk you faggot.
>"Uhh I can't listen to this and this, because people are gonna think i'm insecure for it and that would be really bad for me, the music fan who is confident and not insecure"

>"lol we could make serious music like all those losers, but we're just like being ironic and sarcastic yknow so like, we're way cooler than you ok? and if you don't like our songs, fuckin who cares cuz we were just joking anyway... we could write good serious music if we wanted... LOL"
This is funny because this is the aesthetic of a ton of artists these days. Vaporwave is defined by this. Mac Demarco strikes me as the same, as did Lil Peep, as did Lil Pump, as does Jerry Paper, as does Gus Dapperton, as does Zack Villere, so on and so forth. I actually like Lil Pump because he's about fun and doesn't take himself seriously. His music is utilitarian and serves literally one purpose. I however don't like Lil Peep, or Gus, or Zack. Feels way too calculated with them. Mac gets a pass because he was kind of doing his own thing and while it was ironic he does have genuine moments. Now with Faith No More, I'd agree with other anons in that there IS a sense of humor in the music, but it's not ironic distance. Land of Sunshine, for example, is humorous, but also dark and expressing Mike's views of Scientology as well as a critique of consumerist society. "Here's how to order!" while said in a goofy voice, is Mike making a statement without irony. Sarcastic? I'd say the word you want to use is SARDONIC. And Mike emotes truthfully a lot. Look at the song, "the real thing". If he was being sarcastic there he is quite the fucking actor. That song is extremely emotional and heartfelt.The goofiness of Mr Bungle is completely different. Is it ironic? I thought Mr Bungle was a way for Mike and his friends to display their eclectic styles and disparate influences, and have fun and make the most fucked up music possible. The lyrics in a song like "none of them knew they were robots" express some very serious themes (as well as being arguably the best lyrics I've ever read). It's WEIRD music by weird people. Not iron, although that may be used as a device.

Excuse me, sardonic wasn't the word I'm looking for. Ignore that part of the post, but other than that I just think Faith No More's stuff is more cynical than sarcastic.

I can't find any irony or sarcasm in their music t b h. It's all very sincere, just bombastic and goofy. Not serious != ironic or sarcastic. Patton's music is usually extremely passionate

>shits on Wolfmother for sounding out-dated
>proceeds to talk about his 1930s Italian music side project
Jesus, what balls

I dunno, maybe it's not true of a lot of their music. I've only heard either band here and there. Never really went deep. That's just my first impression. Feels like they're making fun of feelings instead of being genuine about expressing them. I could be wrong though, probably am if everyone disagrees. Just my first impression.

I agree about the "heh... you thought I cared? lol" attitude in a lot of current music. I There's also a different, but related emotional escape hatch you see really often in all that white-beta-fag-falsetto-disco-funk Portugal The Man type garbage. The comedic falsetto vocals everyone in that genre slaps over their half-hearted party swill is like pure self mockery. It's like they know they aren't cool, so they aren't even going to try to be cool. It's like listening to a white guilt apology in the form of a vocal style. Pwease - pwease don't take my band seriously and judge us too harshly... can't you hear that we know we're pathetic? It's a submission gesture as a vocal style. Ugh. Hate that shit.

Both that and the sarcasm thing are ways of shoving in the audience's face that you are not serious, as a way of disarming any potential criticism.

The Real Thing Era FNM especially, while at times GOOFY, if only for Patton's vocal inflections and dated 80s rap rock stylings, is pretty heartfelt in my eyes. "Falling To Pieces" seems pretty confessional as a pop song. Again, "Real Thing" is the band being VERY serious. Totally agree with you on most of the rest of your post

>can't you hear that we know we're pathetic? It's a submission gesture as a vocal style.
Good point, never heard this before. I don't mind falsetto but it is quite abused in this era.

>the sarcasm thing are ways of shoving in the audience's face that you are not serious, as a way of disarming any potential criticism.
I get what you're getting at, but I just think that sarcasm is a device that can be used. When it becomes a crutch it becomes a problem. I don't think Patton crosses that line.