Tfw listen exclusively to jazz now

>tfw listen exclusively to jazz now

Why is it exactly that most serious music listeners will eventually gravitate towards jazz no matter their starting point? It seems like the “final form” of music

*blocks your path*

Not bad. But you’ll get there, kid

jazz is classical for brainlets.

jazz classical and possibly prog, that's it

ba dum tss

other way around actually, dumb frogposter

Weak b8

just because it has a renome of sophistication, it doesn't mean that you are intelligent for enjoying it. jazz is just copy paste for the most part. so tired of this le classical and le jazz shit
its like you want to signalize that you don't have taste

I'm not baiting

Bach would be amazed by what artists have accomplished in jazz

this to be honest

What are some good jazz-music to start off with?

Uninitiated btw.

Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners

One of my favorites, and probably the best starting point if you're new to the genre. A lot of people might say A Love Supreme or Kind of Blue, but I think they are much more enjoyable once you've had a little experience.

Any recs for best drumming in jazz records? Don't really have interest in any other elements desu

Lee Konitz—Motion. Elvin Jones on drums and it’s just so crisp holy fuck.

underrated

I'm in a jazz band, but I still listen to other shit.
>jazz
>sophisticated
it was literally invented by slaves and people driving down the street in their pickup trucks while playing music

Not a big fan of traditional jazz drums but Max Roach does some good hard bop stuff. Drums Unlimited is a fantastic album

Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool
Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby

>he hasn't gotten over jazz yet

>t was literally invented by slaves
it was invented by creoles, pleb

What separates music from every other art-form is that its immediate. The creation, presentation, consumption, and effect are all simultaneous. Jazz represents the purest, most elemental form of this unique quality music has. Every other artform has barriers and written/composed/constructed music puts up barriers between creation and presentation and even sometimes presentation and consumption. Music geeks will naturally find themselves coming to jazz for this reason in the same way movies with less dialogue become more and more desirable the geekier you get about movies.

Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical "adulthood." To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside "mere" rock music. This ostentatious display of "sophistication" is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call "jazz." There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere.

Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the "free" zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom -- sounds good.

The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the dissappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap.

In other words one might say that the only thing Jazz is good for is background music. There is nothing to be gained from active listening, it is the sonic equivalent of white noise.

>listening to music

stop being dumb

This combined with his diary writings about how it should be allowed for naked 12 year olds to touch each other in front of him is a bit odd

haha you seen the one where he's on a plane with Odd Future?

galaxy brain

based

rashied ali