TFW too retarded to make any progress on chinups

>TFW too retarded to make any progress on chinups

I hate this exercise so damn much. Truly the bane of my existence. I simply do not understand how to progress. I can't do it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eGo4IYlbE5g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

do pullups

Bane, you say?

Even harder!

I'm rowing nearly bodyweight and yet I can do jackshit for chinups!!!

Need help

kek, read this and just did 20 of them

get fucked op

lmoa

They're fat though they can barely do any

do bicep curls bitch

I can do 8 pull ups with 70lbs added and 5 chin ups with 90lbs added

hahahah now you cant make fun of Americans for being fat how does it feel

I dont understand how to fully engage my lats.

Help me then evil normie

I am not a normie, I just do pull ups a lot.
My suggestion is just do more and more over time but one mistake people make is always going to failure.
Let me ask you, how many total chin ups can you do?
A chin up is superior in my opinion.

Like 5-6 deadhang chins

My lats never ever get sore

Hmm in terms of lats you should work on form, but a chin up overall is very bicep dominant.
My advice to you is you should not go to failure on chin ups. When you go to failure you get fatigued and the rest of your sets get ruined.
Instead do chin ups with sets 3 to 5 reps but do a lot of sets. Next work out try to add in a rep or two.

For example for weighted pull ups I was doing 70lbs 3x5
then one day i did 6, 5, 5
then 6,6,6
then 7,6,5
then 8,7,6
etc

I cant progress. I was doing 5 sets of 3 for a while but could never do any more. I dont understand why my pendlay row is increasing well, it's almost at bodyweight.

Are you going to failure each set? Maybe add cheat reps.

Should I try doing pullups instead

I mean it could help because a pull up is harder so when you go back to chin ups later they could feel easier.

I feel like I'm just not engaging lats properly somehow. Is there anything more to it than just pulling yourself up?

You mean you are not retracting your scapula and all?

You cant pull yourself up if your scapula is retracted. It needs to be able to rotate.

Yes you can.
Before every rep of a pull up you retract your scapula and drive your elbows down. Then after lowering yourself you go into a dead hang.
youtube.com/watch?v=eGo4IYlbE5g
go to 1:57

If I retract my scapula I can barely raise my arms above my head. Unless you mean depress your scapula to get a more stable starting position.

You retract it as well.
During a pull up and a chin up you should not be completely vertical. Thats why when you retract your scapula you should lean back getting into a good position to pull.

Do you mean retract it as I pull? They say "pull with your elbows" as a cue?

Ok did you watch the video? Go to 1:57
You can see how he retracts his scapula from a dead hang. You must do the same then initiate the pull.

I watched it but I dont get it. I'm going to try pullups with bands next time I'm in the gym so it's easy and I can practice form.

Honestly I would advise against pull ups with bands. Why? Because the resistance is not even throughout the pull. You are going to be using a lot of force at the top and very little force at the bottom.
If you want my advice, hang from a pull up bar and just try to do scapula raises, which means retract your scapula and just go back into a dead hang. One cue that will help is trying to touch your shoulder blades behind your back while you hang. Make sure you look up as well.
But this is all just advice, you can ignore it if you want. I just think doing 20+ pull ups and 70lbs for 8 reps gives me credibility to talk about pull ups.

That's fine tho. That's like a negative pullup 2.0

I'll try it though thanks senpai. I really gotta even out my upperbody

You are welcome familia. Good luck on your pull ups. I think its one of the best exercises for putting mass on an upper body.

Thanks senpai I'll do it for adolf

>tfw can do 8 pullups with 50lbs but still can't do a single arm pullup

Help pls

>Can bench press 190lbs 4 times
>Cannot bench press 380lbs two times

Unless you weigh 100lbs that is not nearly enough.
I weigh 165 so I would need at least about 110 for 5 good reps.
RIght now I can do a single arm pull up but not from a dead hang.

So help pls