How was Rock/Metal ever popular?

Rock was the number one genre in America, but these days the climate has changed drastically. People find rock culture (clothing, screaming, etc) to be weird and some even get called hipsters in my city.

It seems everything associated with rock (metal especially) freaks normies the fuck out. These aren't like teenagers thinking this either, I see people in their 20s on social media that are put off.

Maybe I'm using the wrong parts of the internet (the most popular parts though sadly) and my city is just extremely filled with Hip Hop/RnB/Pop listeners. But how on Earth was this genre ever popular when it's so alien just years later?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vQG4crQc3qw
youtu.be/94proVF6EeU
youtu.be/_tRp_RFeuu4
youtube.com/watch?v=t9Pb8dWxzu4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because people have been bombarded with bad hip-hop from every corner during this decade, and people just up and went “okay, this is normal now”, like they completely forgot that rock exists.

Popular rock music got really bad in the early to mid 2000s so hip hop took over but it was fucking huge for like 40 years before that, so I think it could still come back

Im just waiting for a rock come back.

>Popular rock music got really bad in the early to mid 2000s

Wrong

Nu-metal was pretty bad, user.

Was a means for young white to fuck eager young white girls. Now white girls want to fuck BBC so rock/metal has become pointless and bastion of kissless virgins

Everyone got old, young people got into different genres or created new genres. What contributed to the downfall of Bluegrass and Folk? Young people were into Rock'n'Roll through Elvis. Same fate for Jazz, Big Band and Swing.

Times change. Rock came about when TV became dominant, EDM came about as personal computers (and their electronic synthesizers within them) spread. Look at the state of the record industry today, it's completely adrift and with no clue for it's future. When I watched the Grammys the head of the RIAA came out and more or less begged people not to block ads on streaming services because it cost them money; that's the state things are in. Moreover, most of the award winners all got their start on YouTube, Justin Bieber himself is old news now and he was the OG YT star.

What's left for Rock? You either have fringe people like Varg or you have old men strumming the guitars they bought when Johnson or Nixon were President. It's just a different era, and people want different things.

I'd like to say a prayer and light a candle for Rock'n'Roll

This. It's literally the same people who were punks in 2003. Influence does a lot and can even give you borderline amnesia. A lot of these guys forgot that they ever like rock.

Because Rock is old people music.

The original purpose of rock music was to be offensive.

This is going to sound like a meme or Sup Forums or whatever, but I mean this sincerely and unironically.

White people. White majority in America. Now, whites are just one part of the melting pot, and their tastes don't dominate pop culture. Rock, metal, and country are all niche genres now instead of big on the top 40 consistently and only whites listen to them.

Don't worry, while I was hella baked I thought of some cool new rock music, I'll save rock for you.

is there like one guy who keeps making these anti rock threads?

It's more that when late millennials were in college there was less diversity. Rap/Alternative R&B is largely marketed to a new demographic of college age immigrants and black people

rock just slowed down innovation wise, all the big names are just 20th century revivalist shit.

tame impala: 60s revival
arctic monkeys: post punk/britpop revival.
strokes: garage rock revival.
2008 mgmt and their clones that dominated the radio: psych/synthpop revival
mac demarco: 80s jangle pop revival, takes influence from ariel pink and tonetta
king gizzard: garage and psych revival

get NEW IDEAS

only shoegaze can save rock

I see what you're saying a bit, rock has this fetishism for the past it wears on its sleeve and it needs to freshen up a bit. Hip hop and EDM are more current and embedded in the current cultural climate than borrowing elements from the past.

nah they're just as influenced by 20th century music, rave and trap are from the 90s

Problem is, just about everything's been done with rock music already. It's been combined with every other genre under the sun, it's been sped up, slowed down, minimal, complex, what's left to do?

Rock music sucks when it isn't interesting or forward thinking though. My favorite genre is probably rock but I don't know if it would be a good idea for it to come back into the mainstream unless a completely new style or genre came with it.

True but they introduce new elements while a lot of these rock bands just straight up emulate the old sound without adding anything.

Who cares if rock is mainstream or not? There's still a shit ton of rock music being made, and some of it is good, and you can find it all online. Who gives a shit if the radio doesnt play it or some cheerleaders dont listen to it anymore? If you like it just look up new rock online.

Not when it first started. Elvis blew peoples minds.

an instrument won't progress in the way you want recording and production changed how music sounds decade to decade

what new elements?
EDM has been around forever. Dubstep has been around forever.

>Trap is a hip hop music subgenre that developed in the late 1990s to early 2000s from Southern hip hop in the United States

why are niggers so stuck in the past?

wow so innovative and new

>In the late 1980s and early 1990s, following the emergence of raving, pirate radio, and an upsurge of interest in club culture, EDM acquired mainstream popularity in Europe. In the United States at that time acceptance of dance culture was not universal, and although both Electro and Chicago house music were hugely influential both in Europe and the USA, mainstream media outlets, and the record industry, remained hostile to EDM. There was also a perceived association between EDM and drug culture which led governments at state and city level to enact laws and policies intended to halt the spread of rave culture.[2]

The only thing that can save rock now is microtones.

youtube.com/watch?v=vQG4crQc3qw

This might’ve been true a couple of years ago but rap is becoming glorified rock at this point. The migos are basically ripping off skinny jeans wearing rockstars in their fashion, emo shit like lil peep is more singing than rapping over guitars, and xxtentacion releases straight up smashing pumpkins ripoff songs. Listen to his song Indesicion and it is absolutely not rap.

see There is no new interesting rock. King Gizzard is the best band out there right now, and actually they're pretty much it.

The music started sucking

This is the death knell of nigger hop. Faggot wiggers with their "SADBOY EMOTIONAL HIPSTER SOUNDCLOUD RAP," mainstream niggers trying their level best to become whitey, and nobody gives a fuck about those "REAL" street niggers, they're just niggers.

Stop saying the n word. It's creepy.

Trap is constantly developing though. X brought screamo to trap production and now a bunch of dudes are making this music and riding the wave.

And it doesn't matter if it's good or bad because it's new and better than being stagnant.

youtu.be/94proVF6EeU

And Peep brought emo to trap, like another user said.

This is worse than Nu Metal and that is saying something.

It's new and he's getting big off of the sound, so our opinions don't really change the core of the argument. Scar is a perfect example because he was part of a small struggling rock band then suddenly decided to go solo and scream on trap production instead. And he found immediate success.

Just goes to show how flexible trap is becoming and how stagnant rock is. That's why the dude saying people are living in the past is dumb.

>implying hip-hop innovates in any meaningful way

screaming rap and rap metal arent new or interesting developments

how do people listen to music like this? i really don't understand. honestly do people older than 18 listen to stuff like this?

And yet immediate interest surrounded Scarlxrd when he started making this. His band couldn't even hit half a million views on YouTube. Not even a year into his solo rap career and he hits 22M+.

You're not properly arguing. You're just laying down your irrelevant opinions while I'm telling you facts.

I honestly wonder that myself.

Everything in hip hop has already been done years ago. It's a popular genre right now because white millennials and gen z's all wish they were black

If you could invent a new rock sub-genre, what would it be?

Sorry, nigger.

a recent example of screming in rap is deathgrips.
But you could back to DMX.

Rap and metal have fused together many times over the years since at least the 80's

You have to be young and fun. Miserable old people can't get hyped. Ghostemane is good too.

youtu.be/_tRp_RFeuu4

music like that is just straight up unpleasant.

i can't imagine anyone listening to this without being on some cocktail of drugs

I'll take being miserable and old and listen to what I like, if that is what is considered "young and fun".

It's gotten more pop influence over the years, which can only make it more popular among hip hop and pop fans.

Trap drums are not going to age well at all lol

Dear goodness, imagine listening to Lil [insert name here] or any other terrible SoundCloud rapper in ten, twenty years. It’ll age like milk.

It already sounds outdated and utterly repetitive and exactly the same.

breaking benjamin is bad.

Point taken.

most rock is awful and cringe worthy.

like any genre, the majority of the music is awful, so if you aren't exposed to good stuff you will form an unfavorable opinion on it.

This! New artist are often promoted with being the new new new. Their songs are literally impossible to make covers on, because they are about the artists themselves.

It would make more sense to make twee- or shoegaze covers of G.G. Allin's complete discography than make one cover of one Lil' Wayne song.

Because what's cool is constantly evolving and changing throughout the years. Not that hard to understand. Lou Reed singing about drugs and transexual orgies and Bowie simulating a blowjob on his guitar player used to be transgressive and counterculture. Now rock music isn't transgressive so it's not cool. Hip Hop has become the nesting place of teenage rebellion.

Your gonna get shit, but I agree. As a teenager I listened to a lot of hip hop because I was partying a lot and doing bad shit with my friends a lot. Then I went to college and mellowed out and fell out of it. Now I can't keep up with what's going on in hip hop beyond a handful of current artists who sound like the hip hop I listened to as a kid.

this will revive rock
youtube.com/watch?v=t9Pb8dWxzu4

>as a teenager
please have this humboldt pie

Rock music was only like cool for a pretty brief amount of time. As early as the late 60's it became more of a counterculture thing. Like if you were super into it you'd be deemed something like "a rocker" or something. It was only cool in a hipster sort of fashion even if that wasn't a word used until recently. Like the guy listening to the Stooges and TVU was cool but he was cool from a far, and not in a conventional way.

It was co-opted like most things are and used to sell ads on TV. It has no edge because of that, same thing happened to punk back in the 70s. It happens all the time. It also happened in the 90s when grunge became a thing, then the watered down post-grunge which led to Nu-Metal. etc

Rock music was the most popular genre from the 60s to about the early 90s. I'll say rock had a 30 year run in the spotlight. Hip hop's been super-popular from the late 80s to now. Maybe we'll see the rise of another genre soon, something that'll blow hip hop and rock both out.

Pop music is the only genre that's safe because it's specially designed to be popular, hence the name.

I can answer this user. This is similar to the uncanny valley phenomenum. People need to believe there is some danger or unknown element to their entertainment. Rock went from questionable drummers and out of tune guitars featuring raw emotive singing to Nickleback. Nickleback figured out the formula and then kept reproducing the same song going so far as to produce other bands completing the same formula. It became predictable and boring. Nickleback unironically mastered hard rock and people wont admit this for another 20 years. Similary Nirvana mastered guitar pop. Nirvana was 100% pop music. The current state of metal is essentally classical where you have expert musicians who have every apect down to thier instrument tones accounted for which leave a very safe uninspiring performance. Metal is essenitally computer music/Muzak at this point. When music becomes too precise the performance is lost and all you have left is generic stimuli we have heard 100 times before. TLDR guitar music is boring. Finding a EDM bass tone that makes your speakers shake is more desired stimuli than hearing another Berklee music nerd who grew his hair out perfrom 11tuplets to some prog tune is 13/8. People were already doing that shit in the jazz world in the 70s with fusion.

In short, capitalism ruins everything. Again.