Want to buy guitar for the first time

>want to buy guitar for the first time
>don't know shit about guitars and amps

Pro-tip: Tune your guitar to E-B-E-B-E-E. Now playing any popular rock song is stupidly easy.

you could just go for the cheapest stuff and figure it out

go find a fucking reddit guide you brainlet

Get an acoustic first. Don't be a faggot and go straight to electric

Get the cheapest piece of shit nylon strings spanish guitar you can find, with retardedly high action and the thickest strings that ever existed. If you can't manage that then you didn't actually want to learn guitar

There's only one option and it's the Fender Telecaster Twin Reverb combo. You won't regret it or your money back.

Don't a faggot who perpetuates this shit. It doesn't matter whether you start with electric or acoustic.

Don't listen to this. You'll sound like shit and give up after a week.

What if I want to go straight electric?

At least don't always play with a distortion pedal

Just look up your favorite musician and look at that brands he uses

This honestly, most people I've known who have really come far on the guitar start off with an extremely modest instrument. If you really want it THAT bad you'll manage to make any piece of shit make music. You can get a 3,000 dollar guitar but if you genuinely realize you don't have the drive to learn it won't do any good.

>give up after a week.
Good. Weak faggots don't deserve to make it

Or, you could sound good sooner and that'll inspire you to practice.

Yes it fucking does matter. If you start by picking up an acoustic with thick strings and a higher action you'll start developing callouses quicker, the muscles in your fret hand will build faster, the wider frets will make it easier to learn the basics and you'll more easily be able to tune by harmonics. It's also less expensive and easier to just pick up and play, which is something that OP should be doing A LOT if he wants to learn an instrument. Oh and if you can teach yourself barre chords on a thick-necked acoustic then doing it on electric will be a piece of piss.

If OP only really wants to play songs with electric and doesn't want to invest in another guitar a couple months down the road there's no reason to start with an acoustic. I started with electric and I play both just fine. OP get whatever tf you want, picking one or the other won't make a difference if you decide to stick with it

start with an acoustic. good for your finger strength, and it forces you to learn basic technique.

eventually, get yourself a cheap strat and a practice amp, doesnt matter what kind.

you could also just not be an autist and go to a guitar store and talk to a salesperson

get a cheap acoustic, doesn't really matter what (or how cheap it sounds) so long as it does everything a guitar is supposed to.
assuming you're not coming from a piano background or something, spend a while learning theory and practicing it. learn some songs you like but don't go crazy wanting to cover everything under the sun with your newfound abilities.
once you're into writing your own stuff you'll want a half decent instrument.

unless you're hellbent on being a punk i suggest keeping to acoustic for as long as you can. you'll almost definitely become a better composer for it. there's nothing wrong with learning on electric though, just don't get any pedals and don't chase after tones while you're learning because it'll distract you.

guitar store employees get a bad rep but most of the ones i've talked to have been cool, let me try whatever i want and not push me to buy anything in particular unless i've asked about suggestions.

If acoustic buy a yamaha at the 400-500 price point. If electric buy a fender strat or telecaster. Get an ac-4 as your amp if electric. Don't buy a squier.

cool here is a guide
>stratocaster
gay
>stratocaster clone
"traps arn't gay"
>telecaster
it's ok to be gay
>Less Paul
Brettygood
>SG
AC/DC tribute band
>335
godly
>Jaguar / Jazzmaster
functioning aspergers
>more than 6 strings
full blown autism

huh i didnt think of it like tht user thx

What kind of music do you want to play?

335s sound no better than lps and they're fucking expensive.
teles are definitely the "i'm not trying to be tough, i don't care" guitar tho.

well i just wanna be able to play just about anything. im thinking about becoming a multi instrumentalist

Then yeah, acoustic is probably best. It forces you to develop better technical skills.

is it alright if i learn how to play piano first and then get a guitar? i mean im still learning theory too

Pianos are laid out in a way that makes the theory clear. They also take crazy mechanical skill to play well (at least if you play classical). Both those things transfer well to guitar.

Guitars are easy af. There are two main ways to create a guitar setup:

traditional setup (easy):
>acquire guitar
>if you don't know what kind of guitar to get, get a Strat
>acquire an amplifier
>you're probably only need a beginner/practice amp just because you're a noob
>I highly suggest the Blackstar ID:Core because it's easy to use, pretty cheap and has lots of built-in effects that actually sound really good considering
>if you want to record your guitar, put a mic in front of the amp and plug that mic into your laptop; play your guitar in another room so that you don't accidentally pick up picking sounds and whatnot
>profit

traditional setup (pro):
>same as before but with a "real" amp and a pedalboard made of effects of your choosing.

option 2:
>refer to the first two steps of the traditional setup
>don't get an amp, instead get an audio interface
>plug the guitar directly into the interface, plug the interface into the computer
>download a bunch of free effect VSTs (reverb, delay, distortion, etc. whatever you want)
>now you can record without worrying about acoustics by eliminating the microphone entirely
>also now you can record without upsetting your neighbors or roommates
>the drawback is that you'll need a really beefed up computer to compensate for latency and VST rendering.

done.