Grateful Dead thread?

Grateful Dead thread?

I used to always think they sounded a bit rambly or were overhyped by druggies. Recently, I listened to the Cornell 5/8/77 album (pic related) and fell in love with em.

Some favorite for me from that were Brown Eyed Women, Scarlet Begonias, and Fire on the Mountain.

Any other live recs to listen to?

Also, favorite dead song?
Mine would be Wharf Rat.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=spcbPgoAhB4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The show you posted is regarded by many as their best ever. Contrarians exist though. Honestly listen to every show from May 77 they are all good. Aside from those, One From the Vault is a personal favorite.

Live/Dead is GOAT

Interesting, I just saw the neat cover art on spotify and decided to give it a listen.

Didn't realize '77 was the "peak" or culmination of their live performances. Crazy how long those bastards toured for.
I'll give One From the Vault a listen, thanks.

Ahhh, I see that kicks off with their infamous jam Dark Star. Looks like a blast.

Who the fuck recorded all these shows?

>Favorite Primal Dead-era show (1965-1970)?
2/27/69 (aka Live/Dead), 5/2/70
>Favorite 1972 show?
5/26/72, 8/27/72, 9/21/72
>Favorite 1973 show?
11/11/73
>Favorite 1974 show?
10/18/74 (aka Grateful Dead Movie)
>Favorite 1977 show?
5/8/77, 6/9/77, 9/3/77
>Favorite later-era show?
11/30/80, 3/29/90

Ripple, Box of Rain, Dire Wolf, Cumberland Blues are all excellent songs. I understand why a lot of people can't get into GD but they're really a solid band with a lot of solid recordings.

only sorta related to GD, but jerry garcia's garcia album is really good.

They were more famous as a live band, especially early on. they were basically on tour for thirty years
Their studio work only really picked up after Aoxomoxoa

I always liked the early stuff, especially pre 68 Dead when they still sounded like a garage band who just discovered acid.

If you can find them I would recommend Vintage Dead and Historic Dead. They were released on the Sunflower label which was manufactured and distributed by MGM. These albums were released to fulfill contractual obligations, and were only pressed once. This is my favorite period of the band. Live/Dead is a great album, and so is Skull and Roses. Europe 72 is also good but not for beginners. Bear' Choice is also recommended as it gives you an idea of what they were doing in the early 70s especially when the first set was acoustic, and the second set was balls to the walls psychedelia. The pic you posted is certainly considered a classic concert, and many say 77 was really at their peak.

Pic posted represents my favorite era.

My favorite song would have to be Mason's Children.

Id recommend 2/14/68, 5/2/70, 8/27/72, 8/13/75 and 5/11/78 to get a good representation over time

5/2/70 was Cornell University, wasn't it?
I used to have a cassette of the first set a long time ago. Never heard the second set or the NRPS set, but the tape I had was good stuff.

Owsley Stanley (LSD manufacturer extraordinaire) recorded tons of their shows from the late 60's. After that , it became common practice for whoever was running sound to do so.

Also, tons of recordings were made by audience members.

not OP, but what is the best album to get into the dead? always been intimidated by their catalogue and dont know what to listen to

The Band was better.

This, their countryish albums are goat

Sunshine Daydream

though great, I cant think of a good argument for the band being better desu
Europe 72 is easily the best entry point

May '77 was just legendary. Every show that month was pure magic.

I personally prefer 5/28/77 in Hartford.

As far as best shows go, Dick's Pick Vol. 4 is most definitely up there with Cornell '77.

Soooooooo.............

I see you got dubs, and you want to get your feet wet when it comes to The Grateful Dead.

Well, don't worry, user, I'm here to help.

Many people will recommend that you listen to Workingman's Dead and American Beauty back to back. Only problem with that is people might tend to think that's ALL The Grateful Dead do, might not like what they hear and walk away. (Incidentally, those ARE very good albums, but that shouldn't be one's starting point IMHO)

You should seek out a greatest hits compilation called Long Strange Trip. The only drawback is this is representative of what the band was doing from the beginning up to 1977, but it's a good place to start. I would also recommend the so called "Skull and Roses" album, if only for the mere fact that it shows the varied styles of music the band was capable of playing.

after you have acclimated, and familiarized yourself with these albums, and you like what you hear, then start listening to individual albums by them. And if possible, try to avoid Terrapin Station as a studio album, and seek out live in concert performances of that album. The pic OP posted to start this thread is highly recommended. If you like that, try to seek out tape traders, or do some research on the collection known as "Dick's Picks" which features many great performances by the band throughout the years.

(Nice dubs)
While that's an excellent album, I'd have to slightly disagree with your opinion/recommendation.

While it's a great album, all of that music can be a little daunting to take in all at once, especially when you consider that sitting through Truckin' and listening to drums/space up to Morning Dew might be long, tedious, and somewhat intimidating for the beginner.

One should start with Skull and Roses before attempting to listen to Europe 72. And if one is going to start with Europe 72, it might be in their best interest to stop listening after Tennessee Jed, and take a break before attempting to listen to the whole album in one sitting.

At least that's my opinion.

I could go on about the Dead all day, but I'm about to fall asleep so I'll just recommend you listen to this sequence from 8/1/73: Dark Star > El Paso > Eyes of the World > Morning Dew

youtube.com/watch?v=spcbPgoAhB4

imo it's the best version of Dark Star, getting into fusion territory with Keith Godchaux on Fender Rhodes. And everything that follows is fantastic too.

okay that's probably true hahaha, this is probably the most sound advice on this thread!

That's a very interesting sequence, especially considering the fact Pig Pen passed away five months before this show.

I'll have to hunt this down and check it out.

Thanks for posting the video to give us a taste of what to expect.

The intro to One from the Vault makes my dick hard.

helpful as fuck user, thanks a lot!

For what it's worth, i'd go

Live/Dead (to get a taste of the 60's 'primal' period), then move onto 'Sunshine Daydream' (to get a sense of the early 70's progression) Then move onto One from the Vault and other live stuff around 76'/77'