/classical/

Post background music. No Satie or Pärt.

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. is kill. rip Papillons
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. kill
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/browse?contentId=31565
allpoetry.com/Transfigured-Night-(Verklrte-Nacht)
youtube.com/watch?v=r0pmklZK9C8
youtube.com/watch?v=58ybylI74r4
youtube.com/watch?v=y9sqMXYiE1g
youtube.com/watch?v=8xNqWx9julo
youtube.com/watch?v=Cn7NCrMIbTA
youtube.com/watch?v=h37mpAqkUBg
youtube.com/watch?v=FowSeDVoV48
youtube.com/watch?v=KLjvfqnD0ws
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3JQSPCVuLM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=GRxofEmo3HA
m.youtube.com/watch?v=EFJ7kDva7JE
youtube.com/watch?v=HbVQ4Th6m3A
pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=39679.0
youtube.com/watch?v=cH2PH0auTUU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>twelve-tone
>music

pick one

Bad shitpost, please try harder next thread

Post poems related to music.
poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/browse?contentId=31565

allpoetry.com/Transfigured-Night-(Verklrte-Nacht)

He is 500% correct. What you're gonna do, call me gramps?
>anyone who doesn't like this ear rape is gramps, it's so modern!

>No Satie or Pärt.
they're not background music, as it stands today.
the real background music turned out to be firetruckery of all sorts. Wagna, Rach, that kind of bleugh

>grug no understand harmony! >:(

haha GRAMPS got eeeeeeeeeem

heh, the French were light-years ahead in the late 19th, speaking of harmony

Is Debussy recommendable here or just a meme?

Umm no gramps, most of that 12 tone stuff is gramps music, it's about as modern as the gramaphone.

debussy was the supreme arch-devil of harmony, people with severe wagneritis here are just unable to admit it

That's not bad seeing how uneventful the last 30 years have been for classical music.

I say it because that's the argument 90% of the time. If you're not sure what I mean just picture someone whose every answer fills you with disgust. Now you know how it is to talk with someone who thinks you should drop Brahms and listen to Schoenberg.

He is the reason why I understood why the French are known as sissies.

it's funny how english-speaking world has this prejudice whereas in reality its culture is largely based on the French culture, and France was worshipped by them from the day one. Eternal anglos, what else to say.

I don't like anglos, and I don't dislike the French. But their pop culture is sissy. I look up to the chad french countrysider

all pop culture sucks
but French city culture of the last century was undeniably the best there ever was

Fuck no, city culture is trash, even more so a culture where cunts like Sartre are on the spotlight.

the more you listen to Russian music the more you realize what absolute thieves the French were

*block your path*

questiopn for the Sup Forumstards itt if tonal music is so great and atonality is shit then why does no one care about it and why do all contemporary tonal works sound absolutely cringe?

>why I understood why
Oh you are just terrible with words, hahaha btfo.

Joachim

youtube.com/watch?v=r0pmklZK9C8

youtube.com/watch?v=58ybylI74r4
youtube.com/watch?v=y9sqMXYiE1g
youtube.com/watch?v=8xNqWx9julo
youtube.com/watch?v=Cn7NCrMIbTA
youtube.com/watch?v=h37mpAqkUBg

Twelve-tone isn't even atonal, it's non-tonal.

(adjective) "with" (noun) is the plebeian's prepositional arrangement of choice.

>that post
congratulations, you btfo youraelfd

rekt

W-Why?

at your service bud

Why, because you said so? Anyway, I was using a common expression, except I made a quite remarkable alteration in replacing "bad" with "terrible." Kek.

>I made a quite
you have to go back, pedro

Alright, I’m looking for something a bit specific so I have doubts that it even exists. Does anyone know of a book that describes the various contexts, musical effects, and techniques of the more common instruments of the classical repertoire. For instance, in a section devoted to the piano, it might discuss the different ways to play staccato and legato, different pedaling techniques and there effects, when those techniques would be employed in good taste, etc. Mostly I just want to increase my awareness of these sorts of things, I’m not an aspiring composer or anything.

*their :^)

t. failed pianist

Glass is background music.
youtube.com/watch?v=FowSeDVoV48

if you have access to an academic network you will find that almost every doctoral piano performance student writes a document of the description you gave since they often have to write a dissertation in addition to their performance requirements. The only thing is that in all likelihood these will deal with specific segments of the repertoire. There is probably no comprehensive guide on such a thing, but you can accomplish the same thing by just reading several such theses that pertain to your interests.

But I only started six months ago.

Ok thank you. Will JSTOR suffice?

I'm not sure. The dissertations are published by the universities themselves so I don't know if that's included in JSTOR's archives. Maybe someone else can answer that. These types of writings aren't often published in academic journals anymore.

It was already too late years ago

t. bitter pissant

btfomg

I figured you would say something like that. But this isn't my first instrument, and I only wish to be able to play for myself and my family. Now please stop being so bitter, like the other user said.
Ok.

He's probably talking before WW2

*before the French Revolution

But that would make the Russians thieves as well since they stole their Orchestration and Harmony from a Frenchman

I'd agree with that as well, but La Belle Epoque was the last great time for Paris, and the only city that rivaled it was her German brother city Vienna

GENERIC PIECE NAMES (CONSOLIDATED TO ENGLISH BUT APPLICABLE TO THEIR ORIGINAL LANGUAGES)
>GOD TIER
Toccata
Poem
>GOOD TIER
Intermezzo
Cappriccio
Nocturne
Arabesque
Scherzo
>OK TIER
Rhapsody
Prelude
Etude
>BAD TIER
Fantasy
Romance
Serenade
>TRASH TIER
Piece
Impromptu
Song Without Words
All one hit wonders (Gymnopedies, Ogives, the list goes on….)

Lmao what a shit list

>No "fugue"

what are you, down-syndromed?

A fantasy and an impromptu are the same thing dumbass

What does xir listen to guys?

youtube.com/watch?v=KLjvfqnD0ws

>no motet
fucking pleb

>no fugue
>no motet
>no sarabande
Fuck off

So Chopin's Fantaisie-Impromptu is redundantly named? I don't think so nigger.

So what you're saying is you don't even understand what he's saying? Fugues, motets, and sarabandes refer to specific music compositions. His list is in regards to interchangable titles that composers use somewhat arbitrarily. Jesus, this board.

Anyone know some recordings of instrumental renaissance? Im talking about stuff like palestrina and morales played on piano or string quartet or a small chamber ensemble instead of voices.

giorgio mainerio and michael praetorius

>he
>his

pfft

It doesn't take a genius to figure that out my man.

It takes a genius like me to see through wanton samefaggotry

Music is organised sound. So twelve tone is definitely music. :^)

>fantasy
>bad

Lmao you're shit. But I agree poems are god tier.

>Music is organized sound.
hello r*ddit

I'd love to hear a better definition from you. ;) Go ahead, I'll wait.

>music: it sounds good

structured sonorities

But what is good, user? Isn't good just a matter of taste and the culture in which you were raised? :) Whether you realise it or not, your preconception for quality in music is somehow moulded.

the etymology for art in every language that i know of has connotations with "beauty"

my love:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3JQSPCVuLM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=GRxofEmo3HA
m.youtube.com/watch?v=EFJ7kDva7JE

miiiiauuu miiiauuu miiiauuu

Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence.

Yes but it's purely subjective in every culture. And even one culture isn't homogeneous.

So basically organised sound.

>its purely subjective

Its called the overtobe series, brainlet

>So basically organised sound.
Pretty much. organised sound and silence. There isn't a better definition in this day an age post-cage

What piece is this?

youtube.com/watch?v=HbVQ4Th6m3A

Saint-Saëns: carnival of the animals - the aquarium

thanks

>Fuck no, city culture is trash
What the fuck are you all doing in classical general then, assclowns? Go back to herding your cows - and don't you show up gain, unless your master tells you to.

you are from now on not allowed to post in this thread anymore. what the fuck is your problem? Do you even know that piece that say 'Chopin' in the title, isn't by Chopin? it's some shit, poppy movie soundtrack that actual composers would have been able to pull out of their ass from their 2nd life-year, but they wouldn't cause it's inciting Yann Tiersen tier crap. And in know you're thinking it now user, "but i just wanted to post Yann Tiersen, he helps me with my math homework". Do not do it. Before you post in /classical/ again, dig a deep further into this genre than typing 'Chopin' in youtube, and watching two related video's

Heck yes this just came through the mail

Overtone series doesn't make Schubert enjoyable for Africans, sorry. Music is subjective.

>doesn't make Schubert enjoyable for Africans
Why do you think Schubert is not enjoyable for Africans? I'm absolutely sure a lot of African people appreciate Schubert.

debussy & co. did to russian harmony what schoenberg & co. did to german harmony,

>Music is subjective

Subjective =/= abstract.

There were experiments done in some Central African country where they rounded up the most "beautiful" sounding chamber music compositions and played them to some people. They had no reaction or just left after hearing Schubert. Who would've thought our sense of beauty is not the same to other people right?

Sounds like a pile of shit. Show me these experiments, I bet on anything that any minimally cultured and smart person will enjoy Schubert.
>Who would've thought our sense of beauty is not the same to other people right?
Go find some construction worker yobs ang make them listen to Schubert, they'll walk away in a second, you biblically massive fucking idiot.

lol chill dude I think I read it in some ethnomusicology book and on the net, probably by Timothy Rice.

>I bet on anything that any minimally cultured and smart person will enjoy Schubert
What is this, the 17th century? Different cultures interpret beauty in different ways, including which intervals sound "beautiful" etc.

>Go find some construction worker yobs ang make them listen to Schubert, they'll walk away in a second, you biblically massive fucking idiot.
You just proved my point? Calm down lmao retard

There were experiments done in some Central African country where they rounded up the most "logical" math papers and gave them to some people. They had no reaction or just left after reading Terence Tao. Who would've thought our sense of logic is not the same to other people right?

>ethnomusicology
top kek, we almost took you seriously

good post

is this list legit?

pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=39679.0

youtube.com/watch?v=cH2PH0auTUU

This isn't actually classical music related but this is the only non-brainlet thread so I'll ask

I'm trying to name a chord, it's a D# dim7 with a G on top, and an online chord guide said I could write D#6b5#9, but it's there a better way to write it?

Here's the chord (G major key signature, bottom two clefs are bass, top is treble)

This is bullshit. You round up a bunch of average people in Germany in this way (people of whom we can be almost certain they will be in absolute terms more intelligent than those Africans) and I guarantee that they will not appreciate the music much more than their southern friends. If anything, they may be slightly more used to the music by sheer circumstance of living in Germany, or simply pretend they enjoy or understand it, but I guarantee that as soon as they leave the room they will be back blasting Schlagers and rap that they listen to daily. Classical music requires accommodating in times where even people in the West are only accustomed to much simpler music.