Prove me wrong

Syd Barrett was a genius and his songs make the rest of Pink Floyd's works sound like a moose screaming out of pain. Prove me wrong. You can't

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Km8zo83WHwU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

All of that 60s psych stuff sounds very dated today.

You have a point but it changes absolutely nothing in terms of musical quality or artistic expression

Syd's solo albums are what Pink Floyd would've sounded like if he didn't leave the band.

Also, pick posted is what Pink Floyd would've sounded like if Syd had not only stayed with the band, but tried to jump on the punk band wagon in 77.

OP is right, Syd basically invented real psychedelic music. Also his songs were surprisingly very melodic and poppy, he had some hidden genius that he couldn't develop.
youtube.com/watch?v=Km8zo83WHwU
RIP SYD YOU PIPER

Syd's solo albums were made while his mind was melting. His drug abuse (by the way heavily encouraged by Waters) combined with his mental illness destroyed his ability to make quality music such as the ones featured in Piper. But you may search descriptions made by people who lived with Syd which said "his music, while he was sane, was pure magic". Also, Pink Floyd's "greatest albums" such as wish you were here or dark side of the moon were made from Syd's ideas.

Yea sadly his mind couldn't afford both illness and drug abuse. We lost what could have been one of the greatest musicians of history too early

>moose screaming out of pain
sounds patrician

What do you mean those albums were made with Syd's ideas?

I really do wish we lived in a timeline where the band followed Syd down the rabbit hole with 'Scream Thy Last Scream' and 'Vegetable Man'. Syd was a total legend, and I wish more people appreciated his work and stopped diagnosing him.

>his songs make the rest of Pink Floyd's works sound like a moose screaming out of pain
technically speaking, gilmour's pink floyd was light years ahead of syd's children's tunes

>4 songs sprinkled in a myriad of unlistenable obviously improvised nonsense

pure genius alright

Even Waters has said that the greatest inspiration of Pink Floyd is Syd, and the idea of space rock was mainly encouraged by him also. Of only he had more time to evolve musically as the others members did, and to have actually played along in his total consciousness with Gilmour...

>the idea of space rock
they already dropped it on Meddle

I can find you hundreds of amateur musician who play within the same skill level or even better than Gilmour. His musics are obviously incredible and I do not mean to diminish them, but Syd's creativity and sincereness in composition and lyric writing were unmatched, and I, for one, believe that these are much more important for good music

So The Dark Side of the Moon's concept is based on what? Anime?

You sure know your way through art, yea?

>4 songs sprinkled in a myriad of unlistenable obviously improvised nonsense
I'd imagine listening to bebop or modern classical music would physically destroy you.

>The five tracks on each side reflect various stages of human life, beginning and ending with a heartbeat, exploring the nature of the human experience, and (according to Waters) "empathy". "Speak to Me" and "Breathe" together stress the mundane and futile elements of life that accompany the ever-present threat of madness, and the importance of living one's own life – "Don't be afraid to care". By shifting the scene to an airport, the synthesizer-driven instrumental "On the Run" evokes the stress and anxiety of modern travel, in particular Wright's fear of flying. "Time" examines the manner in which its passage can control one's life and offers a stark warning to those who remain focused on mundane aspects; it is followed by a retreat into solitude and withdrawal in "Breathe (Reprise)". The first side of the album ends with Wright and vocalist Clare Torry's soulful metaphor for death, "The Great Gig in the Sky". Opening with the sound of cash registers and loose change, the first track on side two, "Money", mocks greed and consumerism using tongue-in-cheek lyrics and cash-related sound effects. "Us and Them" addresses the isolation of the depressed with the symbolism of conflict and the use of simple dichotomies to describe personal relationships. "Any Colour You Like" concerns the lack of choice one has in a human society. "Brain Damage" looks at a mental illness resulting from the elevation of fame and success above the needs of the self; in particular, the line "and if the band you're in starts playing different tunes" reflects the mental breakdown of former bandmate Syd Barrett. The album ends with "Eclipse", which espouses the concepts of alterity and unity, while forcing the listener to recognise the common traits shared by humanity.

>I can find you hundreds of amateur musician who play within the same skill level or even better than Gilmour
the difference is, they're mere epigones, whereas Gilmour is the God-Creator
I can find you thousands of composers who are more proficient than Mozart, yet they are nobodies.

>Syd Barrett was a genius and his songs make the rest of Pink Floyd's works sound like a moose screaming out of pain
Saucerful of Secrets>Piper
Also Syd while an extremely amazing songwriter fucked himself over and didn’t get help when he should have, its a really sad story and I’m surprised nobody has made a biopic about him yet because it really would be a great discussion about how mental illness and drug addiction can make the brightest lights fade into nothingness.

True. PF after was way overrated
just like most British acts in the '70s

Fucking hate OP's image. Trying to glorify drug abuse, implying that Syd and acid had a wonderful marriage and disguise the fact that he was destroyed by it.

I also feel that the bottom part of the image is a bit cringy, I won't lie. But I wanted to use this picture in specific to raise some discussion about the drugs and their role in Syd's life

What the hell are you trying to prove with a copy and paste about an interpretation of Dark Side?

where's space rock?

I understand what you mean, although I don't think fame has to do with skill. Anyway, I also think Gilmour has something special, an incredible talent to create songs. I merely said that I do not believe his creativity and innovative talent matches Syd's. And, as I believe this is more important to music (as you may notice if you analise Syd's influence over several other musical movements, such as punk, psychedelic, space rock, alternative and britpop), I believe also that Syd's gift was more precious than that of Gilmour. Nevertheless, I appreciste both equally, and maybe would also appreciate Waters like that if it wasn't for his greed (which contributed to Syd's ruin)

kek, yeah because drugs are bad mkay

the problem is, Gilmour was a sane man
Barrett wasn't

ya ops image is cringy but he died of fucking boring ass diabetes.

acid doesn't kill people moron

Childhood is when you idolize Syd

Adulthood is when you realize that Roger makes more sense

I believe that there's more to it than that. Syd was very naive and everyone around him contributed to his drug abuse by providing him LSD in exchange for his presence. After a certain point of this happening, there was just no turning back. Syd was lost after 69. His light disappeared and, with it, what could've been an even greater Pink Floyd with both Syd and Gilmour.

Space Rock doesn't necessarily mean lyrics about space. Look it up.

Van Gogh wasn't sane either, mate

Roger's just a greedy vampire who took advantage of both Syd and Gilmour

His genius came from his sensitivity and that state of being fucks with a lot of people. Highly intelligent, highly perceptive. It can overwhelm.

that's why he couldn't be a member of the biggest band in the world

yeah, space allusions in music itself
where are these on DSotM?
tere's 0 space rock tropes
psychedelic synths doesn't make it "space"

kek

user tell me one thing
Where the fuck is the moon located?
There you go