Jazz sucks

Take two different jazz tracks and listen to them. They'll sound the same, with minor differences like a few tempo changes, but the basic sound will always stay the same unless you listen to some Free Jazz or something
I don't hate Jazz completely, I like some albums when I'm in the mood for that but there is a reason why it's dead. It lacks the complexity, substance and art aspect of the classical music to be appealing for someone who wants to dedicate their time, learning musical theory and history behind the music. It's kind of a bridge between popular music (rock, electronic, hip hop, pop) and classical. Except it lacks the accessibility of the former and isn't as engaging as latter.
It's basically a relic of it's time (first half of the 20th century) and only because that was the only thing that black people were good at and they were popular because of that because it all seemed new for the people at that time but once popular music became really "popular" (60's), Jazz time was up. That's why they tried to innovate by fusing it with other genres like rock but it was only just delaying the inevitable.

Other urls found in this thread:

rbt.asia/mu/search/text/Take two different jazz tracks and listen to them/
youtu.be/TFOnCk0p4-8
youtu.be/dAyStpDSNzs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

k

k

k

k

Soul RnB and Funk are actually much better genres

Woah you cracked the code mack. I'll stop listen to jazz now I didn't mean to hurt nobody

Django Reinhardt and Wes Montgomery sound vastly different and they're both jazz guitarists.

That said I hate miles davis and anybody who thinks playing the wrong notes sounds good.

>It lacks the complexity, substance and art aspect of the classical music to be appealing for someone who wants to dedicate their time, learning musical theory and history behind the music.
I'd be willing to bet you're not the kind of person who "wants to dedicate their time learning musical theory and history behind the music" and are just the kind who listens to classical music to give the appearance that you do. Which makes your whole post hilarious.

But feel free to prove me wrong by providing a Roman numeral analysis of this chorale.

>I hate miles davis
fucking turbo pleb.

>it's deliberately bad, I promise

also
>monophonic instruments

Jazz piano mostly sort of sucks, to be honest.

Please give me just one example of Miles Davis playing a wrong note

You must be getting Miles mixed up with Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane, because Miles never really ventured into "deliberately atonal jazz" like Coleman and Coltrane.
Miles' various bands always had super tight musicianship.

rbt.asia/mu/search/text/Take two different jazz tracks and listen to them/
Don't do it please. Just leave.

so what 3:30 to 4:30. Absolute dogshit.

Not what I asked for. Pick one note that's wrong.

Pick any from that selection. And the instrument itself blows as a lead instrument. Can't chord solo, can't even play octaves, timbre blows. Piano and guitar are the superior jazz instruments.

Y'all niggas gotta hear my nigga Rahsaan Roland Kirk version of Old Rugged Cross.
youtu.be/TFOnCk0p4-8

Still can't follow the directive. I want YOU to pick ONE SPECIFIC note and tell me why it's a wrong note.

Until you do I won't bother taking you seriously or responding.

3:55 is flat and would sound better if played a half step higher.

That's not Miles playing, you dumbass.

y u so dumb?

dw jus leave hm :(

So he asked another trumpet player to play at the beginning of the first track of his album and this person sucks?

are you talking about the So What from KoB? ..cus thats Coltrane coming in at 3:30, very clearly a sax

A)that's John Coltrane playing, not Miles Davis

B) the note I think you're referring to is a C natural (not flat) and is not even very dissonant over an Ebm7 chord as it is part of the Eb Dorian scale which is the basic scale typically used for soloing on So What. You can even hear Bill Evans using it in his voicings of the chords

C) for the record, the note a half step higher (Db) is also not very dissonant, since it is both part of the chord and part of the Eb Dorian scale

Do I gotta post my nigga again? Just listen to this nigga. Rahsaan is a God.
youtu.be/dAyStpDSNzs

Jazz is pure masturbation in music form.

Not OP, but how would I go about learning theory so as to be able to do basic things like identifying chords in the context of simple music like chorales? I know what chords are and can play sheet music, but I don't really know how to identify harmonies in actual music.

werealloneracethehumanrace

Just google "what is musical Roman numeral analysis" and go from there. If you understand chords and scales and their relationships fairly well, then it should be just a matter of learning some new terminology and then practicing using it.

Hey, you're right. Still sounds like shit though. Davis at the beginning does sound like he knows how to phrase well. But seriously, that is unlistenable.

I like some jazz and used to play a lot of jazz guitar (I don’t anymore). It’s just not really an enjoyable genre of music for most people. Most people nowadays are seriously just too dumb to care about it. It’s just kinda boring to normies because of the complex harmonies and resulting melodies just sort of fly by your head. There’s not much to grab on to in terms of memorable lines or rhythms. The drums are all over the place, the bass is walking, the chords change keys every other bar and the horns just don’t make pleasing sounds most of the time. That being said old jazz is most certainly better. There was some soul and memorability to early miles and Coltrane. But those guys were also super fucked up all the time. New jazz is pseudo intellectual wanking and only music academia and NPR types seem to care anymore.

You can't really expect anyone to take you seriously if you can't even tell the difference between a trumpet and a saxophone...

And if you really think that the relatively small level of dissonance in So What sounds "bad" then I don't know what to tell you. You can find more dissonance in a Beethoven string quartet.

To be fair I scrubbed to the middle of the song and didn't actually listen to it. I just figured it would sound like shit because I remembered it being so. I just don't like the "it's deliberately bad lmao art" sentiment. I'd rather listen to wes montgomery play smoothly.

>Most people nowadays are seriously just too dumb to care about it.
It's interesting to me that you know enough to realize this but still haven't realized that you're one of the dumb ones.

You just hear whatever you want or expect to hear. You'll grow out of it though. Or maybe not... who knows.

wll then call me a jizzle jammer

I can't listen to bad singing like bob dylan or punk music either.

Wow OP claims to like classical music for its complexity and substance but doesn't even have the musical knowledge to understand or appreciate that complexity and substance. What a surprise.

Well I don't particularly care for Bob Dylan or punk in general either but I'm sure there's some music that you do like that someone, somewhere thinks "sounds bad"

thats prog

Wow great argument against nothing. Clearly you didn’t even read the rest of my post, I don’t really care for jazz but it is a “smart” genre of music the way prog
is. Fucking kill yourself.

bad bait

Idk, my favorite band is Jamiroquai. Pretty much everyone agrees that they're awesome.

>people like this really exist

“Dude everything is like subjective broooo”

Why even bother having a fucking discussion about anything then? That’s it boys! We’ve figured it out! It’s all up to personal taste mannn! We can finally shut down Sup Forums!

On the contrary, the rest of your post was what gave you away. Particularly the last few sentences.

That wasn't what I was saying at all...

this thread is honestly has more music discussion happening than most threads

I have so far failed to grasp jazz, and only listen to tons of classical music, of which, let's be honest, there is enough for a lifetime, but OP is a retard and a pseud. Fuck man, I wish I were knowledgeable enough to be able to recognize jazz standards and analyze them when some crazy instrumentalist weaves them into a piece in-between improvisation. The only problem for a beginner is that there's so much jazz and it is overwhelming. When I first started listening to classical music it ended up being literally a 2-year long binge, and I can only imagine it would be the same with jazz. I'll have to start one day so that I can trash people like the OP here. So how do I start? Do I just listen to Kind of Blue until I know every note and then branch out to others one-by-one?

Unless its Gershwin, Evans, Tatum, Monk, or Waller, but for the most part it sucks

I can see why you would be against the "bad on purpose" stance, and I think there are certainly jazz albums to which what your saying could apply, but Kind of Blue is not a great example to make your case with. Most jazz listeners on this board consider it really to be the epitome of entry level, and very accessible relative to other jazz albums. I don't think miles and the game were really going for the deliberately bad conceit here at all.

Lol ok so you’re just a butthurt art school faggot. I get it now, my apologies.

Listen to Kind of Blue a few times. Pick which soloist is your favorite. Then go listen to a few of their albums, maybe a couple from before KOB and a couple after. Then come back and listen to KOB again. Then pick some other favorite soloists, either from KOB or from the other records you listened to and do the same for them. Keep coming back to albums that you like. The more you listen to, the more it will give you new perspective on your favorites when you re-listen.

Read reviews or analyses of albums you like, or ones you dislike. You don't have to agree with the writers, just think about what they're saying and think about why you agree or disagree with them.

Yeah, I'm just being inflamitory. It's not that bad. I just like people who can play good sounding notes quickly. I pretty much stick to Reinhardt and Montgomery for that reason.

Even if that were true (it's not) it wouldn't mean I was wrong.

>wasting so much time to trick yourself into liking a piece of shit genre like Jizz
lol

don't overreact. even if everyone on mu agread it all came down to personal opinion i would probably still come for recs

Wrong about what? You literally refuted nothing I actually said and your initial post literally is “actually UR dumb haha”. Neck yourself

Thanks, this is much more helpful than the jazz chart. I'm pretty much done with the western classical canon up to Kurtag, Ferneyhough and the minimalists, so well, fuck it, I'm gonna go jazz now.
kys

I agree that jazz sucks, I feel aggravated whenever I stumble to hear jazz songs or jazz sounds in general.

I know his place sucks, but why have trolls gotten so lazy?

>Wrong about what?
About you being dumb. Which was all I was trying to say in that post. That and how I thought it was interesting that you can recognize other people's limitations but not your own.

No need to be so butthurt though. :^)

or Taylor or Ra or Bley or other Bley or the list goes on some more

>I'm gonna go jazz now.

Unironically this

Good job for indulging him people.

>the music someone makes must be played a certain way or it’s wrong