Tfw your country doesn't teach second languages

>tfw your country doesn't teach second languages
>tfw you country doesn't have a significant second language to teach
>tfw you were always going to be a monolingual unless your parents were foreign
why are anglo countries allowed to exist?

did you learn Indonesian in HS?

You're not an anglo country, you're a prison colony.

Because without the anglosphere, most would only know their first language.
The lingua franca would be the domain of the wealthy only.

We are monolingual so the world can be multilingual.

Also what would you gain beyond the superficial to know another language anyway? You'll understand the words to '99 Luftballons' or be able to make a joke to your Indian taxi driver? Hardly worth it.

People learn English because it unlocks the world of culture, commerce and technology. Finnish or Chinese or Dutch gives you access to a regionally insignificant meme page on normiebook and one film without subtitles.

german
but it was taught retardedly

>teacher neglects to teach us noun genders
>whenever i needed to say a noun i basically threw in a random gender and hoped for the best
>it's too hard to undo the damage now
>seven years of classes with no benefit
they might as well have not bothered at all
i'd have been better off with an extra maths class or something

That's not an excuse. I learned English by myself.

Es tut mir leid das zu hören, user

This, generally languages are taught pretty stupidly and you should simply get the best books recommended on language learning sites and go through them yourself.

>Also what would you gain beyond the superficial to know another language anyway?
In insight to the world, it gives you a different perspective.
It gives you a possibility to not be an asshole in a different country.

I know that feel all too well anom

tfw i understood that
feels gut

Well, do they teach languages in prisons? No?
yeah i thought so

>Because without the anglosphere, most would only know their first language.
French was the lingua franca before English. Most of our writers knew French back in the day.

I think there are many books that are only available in German and French. If you learn Russian you can read their literature in the original(yes, it makes a difference)

Japanese and Chinese culture are different and a new world will be open to you. Also I believe learning languages must make your smarter in some way.

i can understand you but i could never reply ;_;

it's pretty hard to motivate yourself and learn a language from nothing but a couple of texts

idk if it was such a prison i don't think your lot would be so keen to come over

English is not a local language though. It's the de facto international standard which should be able to be used in any country, be the tourist Anglo themselves or not.
It's like expecting every country to have some awareness of the metric system.

If you walked around Amsterdam expecting everyone to speak Portuguese you'd be an arsehole, but English is different.

French was a lingua franca but it wasn't nearly as widespread in local populations. Those without specific interest or requirement wouldn't know it.
Much like second languages in the anglosphere today.

>but English is different
No, you're still a dick. We are expected to speak the local language in your country, but yours in ours.
And not just the Anglos, the Germans and French too.

No worries, you'll learn chink by exposure just like muricans are lerning spanish

We don't have a local language in our country (not nationally anyway).
If we did? You wouldn't need to learn it.
The only real exception would be immigrants.

What about aboriginal languages? I imagine it's like here. There are like 200 indigenous languages here but spoken by only a few people.

That's why I put the brackets in.
I doubt old cuckyclogs would be learning boon just to come to Australia like he seems to be implying.

what's the point to learn any other language besides english and if it's not required on your job. Too much effort and so little motivation reasons like speaking with locals on their native language tb h

t. brainlet

lol
just be glad you aren't canadian
then it's your own fault

OP im learning another language. You just have to try

>have nothing to say
>let's make a negative remark on personality
I mean you can learn other things and then make something usefull out of it (A programming language for instance)

You can read books and learn new cultures.

my german teacher said not to bother
she said that you can't learn german from a book or in an australian classroom
that she'd spoken to people who had been 'learning' either academically or in language schools for years who weren't even half competent

the only way was to learn the very basics and then fling yourself into one of the former east german länder (where people might not be able to talk to you in english) and hope that people are patient

it sounded reasonable so i suppose it'd apply to most languages

don't say stupid shit, won't get called names

I am shit at my language but only because I am a shit person and don't study enough. Your German teacher is full of shit, may God bless their soul. What a terribly pessimistic German thing to say Jesus Christ

i could understand her reasoning though

formal classes would miss a lot of the language in actual practice, and it would require you to be unreasonably disciplined
a week bumming around erfurt would probably be equivalent to a year of booklearning

It's true in a way, I felt like my fluency and vocab improved 10x after a couple of weeks in my country, but you really need the grammar as a base, otherwise you won't be able to build blah blah blah

We shed our blood in countless wars so you wouldn't have to speak johnny foreigner's repugnant brogue

My family for two generations (probably more but I can't guarantee that) hasn't even owned a passport.
I'll very likely never travel farther than Perth in my lifetime.

The world is off-limits to the working class Australian.
Maybe that's for the best. I don't know. There is no use crying about it though.

what cunt?

>Maybe that's for the best.
It is for sure, buncha degenerate faggots.