Rock is dead

A lot of the breakout rock bands from the late 2000s and early 2010 s are washed up...

What the fuck is current state of Rock music? Why aren't their current rock bands in their prime making classic albums?

Rock music is in a fucking lull. It feels like it's the mid 2000s all,over again, but way worse.. back in the mid-2000s the hyped rock bands just sucked... Nowadays there are no hyped rock bands period.

Now a days rock bands just aren't making top 5 album of the year material work anymore.

Rock albums would always dominate top 10 AOTY lists, but what the hell happened?

Notice how Radiohead stopped being god tier at the turn of the 2010s, too. There's no older band of musicians in their 40s that are currently making classic albums

One of the unique things about rock music was that bands that consisted of musicians in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s would all make great albums in that same year...

Nowadays rock music just isn't as exciting or as inspiring as it once was, there's like no disputing that

what the fuck

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JKe-0pyClbg
soundcloud.com/8mmrecs/8mm-065-no-balls-more-is-more-2017-lp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It also seems like rock bands from the early 2010s were there last time that girls were up to date on rock music.

It seems like that is the last era We're Young 20 year olds in general would listen to rock music. 20 year olds nowadays are into YouTube personalities and viral rap songs

It's a little disheartening actually. It feels like a part of my identity is hampered or as taking a hit in a way.

its dead because of lazy fucks like you who are shitty musicians.

Oh and in the electronic music. It seems like Indie electronic music is more relevant than indie rock

Just a decade ago it was entirely the opposite

Bump

Who cares?

People who grew up with that culture?

Talking about genres like this is console wars tier

Fucking learn how to adapt, you mongs.

make your own band?

A lot of the breakout rock bands from the late 1960s and early 1970s are washed up...

What the fuck is current state of Jazz and big band music? Why aren't their current rock bands in their prime making classic albums?

Jazz and big band music is in a fucking lull. It feels like it's the mid 1980s all,over again, but way worse.. back in the mid-1980s the hyped jazz artists and bands just sucked... Nowadays there are no hyped jazz and big band bands period.

Now a days jazz artissts just aren't making top 5 album of the year material work anymore.

Jazz albums would always dominate top 10 AOTY lists, but what the hell happened?

Notice how Louis Armstrong stopped being god tier at the turn of the 1980s, too. There's no older artiists in their 40s that are currently making classic albums

One of the unique things about jazz music was that bands that consisted of musicians in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s would all make great albums in that same year...

Nowadays jazz music just isn't as exciting or as inspiring as it once was, there's like no disputing that

what the fuckbg

It's having an interesting discussion about the shift in society in the shift in generation ideals Etc.

So it's kind of an interesting parallel. I wonder if rock music my go the way in jazz and we are just stuck with electronic music, pop music, and Hip-Hop as the representation of modern culture

Don’t worry, trap rap will be deader than disco in two or three years. Just be patient, it’ll probably be until 2021 when we get the next big breakout rock band.

>and we are just stuck with

Entirely possible yeah. It's just interesting that there is complete lack of a popular subculture of young rock music.

Like it was always there despite the embarrassing moments of hair metal or Emo or whatever.. But it was at least always there. Whereas now it is just gone.

Like in my lifetime, only now has it vanished entirely

I made sure I included how it represents modern culture. I'm not talking about stuck with listening, obviously as I post on here.

>. It's just interesting that there is complete lack of a popular subculture of young rock music.
H A R D C O R E

We also have to consider the repercussions of this, as the complete lack of rock music may discourage people from even trying. Indeed, guitar sales are way down and I think Gibson is filing for bankruptcy.

Imagine if everything just goes south, and instead of good rock music being a specialized thing on the internet, it's rather just not much good rock music at all, in terms of sheer volume.

that is the scary black pill to take, and I'm inclined to believe it's happening as we speak.

hip hop is artificially being kept alive via private equity. all music is dead

great logic

To me that is such a terrifying thought, because now you're talkin about a form of expression just vanishing as a whole.

I get that it happened to Jazz fans, but let's face it instrumental music can only be replaceable for so long

>hardcore
full of trannies and new england trust fund kids. who cares

*replayable for so long

This is only true if you don't pay attention to any good bands.

where's the trannys and new england kids in this video?
youtube.com/watch?v=JKe-0pyClbg
rock music is well alive and full of kids playing. not our fault u never leave the house.

I'm talking about the cultural relevance of rock music.

Here's something that just came out last year.

soundcloud.com/8mmrecs/8mm-065-no-balls-more-is-more-2017-lp

It's just a symptom of degeneration. Not saying rock music is fucking esoteric big brain shit or anything, just that it had more substance than the literal meme songs that have eclipsed it in popularity.

While that is a possibility, that "it will come back soon" thing has been said for years. What needs to be taken into account, and seldom is, is the fact that rock relied heavily on subculture/scenes. The internet pretty much destroyed that. There are online communities with similar tastes, but that isn't enough to allow artists to make a living, they need to do concerts and all. And as much as I would like there to be more artists who didn't necessarily tour and focused on the album itself, for variety really, so you have artists which force you to sit the fuck down and listen to the album, which is tightly constructed etc, that reality is far away when people can't make a living off it. Being creative with free time is much different from trying to do so working a soul crushing 9-5. If streaming grows it will help indies make bank, but Spotify and others are already the labels' bitches, and you can bet your ass that they will do all in their power to fuck indies in the ass in the long run. And if streaming services don't cooperate with labels they'll go bankrupt, because labels are just a part of larger international conglomerates.
It's not only rock that's dead, it's any music that requires more than a random bum with a funky haircut becoming a rap """"artist""" on the street going under the wing of a label because he represents quick bucks and will be discarded when he's no longer useful. Gestalt: if indies have ways to make a living from their music(and not using the music as mere advertisement for their merch...) good things will resurface.
>but you're just not looking in the right places bro
Yeah I'm sure that soundcloud artists will make a huge cultural impact

It's an interesting thought. I wonder if our attention span is too low nowadays to enjoy rock music. Jethro Tull's thick as a brick hit number one on the charts. That is unimaginable nowadays.

It's not the shit labels pushed in the top 40 that interest me, there are still plenty of songs about whores and drugs. What interests me is that rock allowed for stuff like prog and personalities like Bowie. Few other popular genres gave rise to that

oh move on ffs, its over

you know if you think about it, rock music really isn't associated with a group of friends is identity anymore.

From the 1950s all the way up until indie rock reached its peak, rock music seem to have fit into some type of popular subculture

And I live in Portland Oregon, the mecca of hipsters.

To be honest, I felt way more like I was in Portland when indie rock was at its peak of relevance

>you know if you think about it, rock music really isn't associated with a group of friends is identity anymore.
what ?

>It's not only rock that's dead, it's any music that requires more than a random bum with a funky haircut becoming a rap """"artist""" on the street

LOL another interesting point.

It seems like it is harder to make a living in music these days, which is a huge strain on your creativity.

Because it's harder for you to make a living in music these days, it forces you to stay busy with other means, which puts stress on you and reduces creativity. You know those days where you are scatterbrained and feel like you are stressed out? Imagine trying to make dark side of the moon under those conditions. It's impossible.

If there was some type of welfare system that existed for musicians making music? It makes you wonder how many Classic Albums could be made a year. It can generate some type of crazy ass Renaissance of music

*an average group of friend's identity anymore.

It's not much of a point if hot discussion

>If there was some type of welfare system that existed for musicians making music? It makes you wonder how many Classic Albums could be made a year.

Holy shit. Has this whole thread just been communist propaganda?

>If there was some type of welfare system that existed for musicians making music? It makes you wonder how many Classic Albums could be made a year. It can generate some type of crazy ass Renaissance of music

It's called having a good economy, which lets working people have enough free time and surplus cash to spend listening to good music. In fact indie's heyday corresponds to the last time when the middle class had it really, really good in the US.

>muh hype

I remember when rock was young...

I respect your thought, however the economy in the late 2000 in early 2010s was in shambles. There seem to be a lot of creativity during that time

But this also contradicts my thigh on how if the economy was easier on musicians their music would be better and more music would be made.

Yeah, maybe there would be a lot more indie rock bands if it was easier on them, but I'm not sure if the music would necessarily be any better or not.

it's an interesting thought when you think about how there are no masculine white men in music for white girls to look up to

Rap the new Rock N Roll

-yEEZY

It's just hard to innovate on the electric guitar, which is pretty much what rock music always depended on

>I respect your thought, however the economy in the late 2000 in early 2010s was in shambles. There seem to be a lot of creativity during that time
Not as much as mid 90s to 08 though. That's the time frame I'm talking about. Mp3 blogs started to seriously die around 2011 which is also a good flag in my mind.

>welfare for musicians
Wouldn't work for obvious reasons. You fellas need to remind yourselves that much of what we refer to as the golden era or whatever was a result of US/English post WW2 prosperity. If you look at the big scheme of things it wasn't that many years, recording technology wasn't widespread until the 30s or so. The popular music industry as we know it is a very recent thing, so it's hard to make any predictions. Remember that jazz still was mostly about the live experience, rock was the first genre to really be catapulted by huge record sales, and a big part of that is because huge record sales only began to be a thing after the 50s. The reason guys like Little Richard made a shitload of money with a couple singles was because a) American economy and b) albums were a new thing.

That definitely influences music tastes. Radios were much more diverse in the 70s as well, you could listen to fusion and bee gees in the same station. But of course this type of debate is stifled in the real world because it's "snobbish" to say the masses have become musically illiterate precisely because they listen to musically illiterate artists. Somehow the modern mindset has become that you need to be a phd to listen to something more complex, as if every grampa who grew up during the Great Depression had a degree in music to listen to classical like they did. Daring to criticize the lowest common denominator is a recipe to be labeled as the devil on earth. Prime example: prog fan says punk is too simplistic. You know very well the shitstorm that would ensue if, say, an artist said that in an interview.
>you want to silence a popular expression of the people!
Of course they ignore that the "rebellious anarchists" who supposedly fought the system played in the labels' hands, because they WANTED punk to take down prog, for the same reason they prefer soundcloud rappers over someone who wants to do something more complex. It's easier for them to profit of some disposable nobody. This "lowest denominator immunity to criticism" has been a thing for decades. And I bet that if I said I prefer classical to rock because it is more "evolved" a shitstorm would ensue as well. First they took down classical, then they began dividing popular music.

This is awful. There's hardly anything musical about this. Post-hardcore is just an activity for high schoolers. This shit was really big in the midwest around 2008 and I knew a lot of kids involved in the local scene. None of them gave a fuck about music outside the context of that scene. The few that did outgrew it by senior year.

>Tinsel Town Rebellion
From Madam Wong's to Starwood
To the Whiskey on the strip
You can hear the crashing, blasting strum
Of bands that come to be real hip
And get a record contract
From a talent scout someday
They'll sell their ass, their cocks and balls
They'll take the check 'n' walk away
If they're lucky they'll get famous
For a week or two perhaps
They'll buy some ugly clothes to wear
And hope the business don't collapse
Before some stupid magazine
Decides they're really good

They used to play all kinds of stuff
And some of it was nice
Some of it was musical
But then they took some guy's advice
To get a record deal, he said
They would have to be more punk
Forget their chops and play real dumb
Or else they would be sunk
So off they go to S.I.R. to learn some stupid riffs
And practice all their poses
In between their powder sniffs
Chop up a line now, snort it up now
And when they think they've got it
They launch a new career
Who gives a fuck if what they play
Is somewhat insincere

Did you know that in Tinsel Town the people there
Think substance is a bore
And if your New Wave group looks good
They'll hurry on back for more
Of leather groups and plastic groups
And groups that look real queer
The Tinsel Town aficionados
Come to see and not to hear
But then again this system works
As perfect as a dream
It works for all those record company pricks
Who come to skim the cream
From the cesspools of excitement
Where Jim Morrison once stood
It's the Tinsel Town Rebellion
From downtown Hollywood

The last one was Peter Steele. He was a chad^10. And the best thing is he wasn't an empty pretty face, Type O was actually good.

His projects were generally pretty good, not amazing but still good enough.

Yea it's overall a symptom of cultural relativism i.e. nothing is never objectively better than anything else in any way; everything has value and should be respected full stop.

Am I wrong in thinking Rock and old style inspired Funk will make a comeback in the next 5 years? Not counting Punk which never goes away.

I'd be okay with that. Sure beats gaudy meme rap.

Rock died with white urban culture. White culture is all suburban totally docile now.

Capitalism ruins music

Harm's Way - Posthuman
Godflesh - Post Self
Dying Fetus - Wrong One To Fuck With

those are just three outstanding metal albums from last/this year I can think of

>Notice how Radiohead stopped being god tier at the turn of the 2010s, too

Stopped reading here.

I suppose you could say that if you ignore 70 years of capitalism producing great music. Like I said earlier, music is becoming shittier because civilization is in decline.

There's plenty of great rock music, just because it's not popular doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

>If there was some type of welfare system that existed for musicians making music?
Well there are platforms such as Patreon that YouTubers like to use that could work for musicians. No need to resort to welfare systems when the public can do it on their own and more efficiently.

most musicians make better stuff when no longer trying to make music that most people will like. its a good thing if they don't have to worry about that. no longer being the majority of popular music doesn't equal a dead genre.

No genre dies, no genre is dead

Stop caring about whats trendy and popular