Can we have an honest discussion about the state of music in 2018 without using buzzwords like dadrocker and soyboy?

Can we have an honest discussion about the state of music in 2018 without using buzzwords like dadrocker and soyboy?

Music is fucking gone. #1 for 2018 so far is Car Seat Headrest? Are you joking?

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2017
youtu.be/vvW6qiTkZdw
youtu.be/8h2VvMgwIF4
youtu.be/2R2UAHQNGz8
youtu.be/svmr9qJIwDE
youtu.be/47HuRQstUJQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its only been three months in 2018

#5 is a prog metal album about slugs, what is your point exactly?

soys run this board. kys normie

>Music is fucking gone
You mean pitchfork is gone

Ok.

rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2017

wow thats pretty sad. idk what to tell you. think after a while your taste doesn't fit what "society" likes. just accept like I have

Don't worry user, Death Grips will release their album soon enough

>still caring about what is popular

ok bro

on topic though, I predict nu metal will become popular again

>he still acts like there is a single movement, genre or vein of music happening at once
>he hasn't accepted the fact that with the internet every genre is experiencing a revival
>he hasn't focused on what he likes
>he hasn't found a local scene that interests him
>instead, he goes online and bitches about an album ranking on a site for austists
>in twenty friggin eighteen
nigga you playin yourself

Who gives a fuck about popular? You said that not me. Compare any of these lists from the last few years to the lists from the 90s. The music coming out is just kind of shit. No one is going to remember Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell Live in 20 years.

There isnt anything happening at all in music. There aren't even scenes anymore.

>There aren't even scenes anymore.
underage b& that never goes outside confirmed
you're an idiot lmao

Nah I'm 28 you're just a dumb kid growing up in a culturally sterile generation

I know the difference. You don't.

>replies with DURR Sup Forums BUZZWORDS: the post
>tells him to go outside

anna von hausswolff's new album is #3 and that's pretty cool
nice that people care about her

it isn't my fuckin fault that you're too lazy to literally use the same computer you're using to shitpost to look up local shows in your area or to find music that interests you, but stop spouting the hurr music is dead meme just because an album you don't like is at the top of a list somewhere

jesus fucking christ you're just as bad as the children that whine that all music is bad just because they haven't bothered to listen to anything else than the radio and some spotify lists.

Yeah, sorry. You don't know what you're talking about. You just keep flying off the handle and acting like a child.

I couldn't give a fuck about my city's revivalist scenes. I'm well above pretending any sort of scene in 2018 is important or significant in anyway. The scenes in 2010 weren't either.

And that is why none of it surfaces anymore and Car Seat Headrest and Sufjan Stevens are being hailed as the best things. All the scenes are derivative shit now.

>lives in a time when he has instant access to every bit of music ever created
>cries
i don't understand why you're so concerned about what's popular or being critically acclaimed. your argument is basically "music is over."

Stop caring what other people think

And this thread isn't about local scenes anyway. No one gives a shit about that crap. It's how there's nothing culturally significant being released anymore.

I don't like OK Computer for example but people have remembered it. Will people be talking about Car Seat Headrest or MGMT in 2037? Absolutely not.

Not the guy you were arguing with but you're insufferable. Go outside and quit whining like a bitch

Great argument

>b-but every genre you want is isntantly accessible through the interweb
DOESN'T FUCKING MAKE CURRENT MUSIC ANY LESS SHIT DOES IT YOU FUCKING CLUELESS TWINKS

>#15 of the ENTIRE year of 2015 is a video game soundtrack

OH NO NO NO

>your argument is basically "music is over."
That's because it fucking is.

hey, boy, Dead Magic is #3 if you like experimental music.

That said, the state of music is damn good for 2018 because this is a transitional year for music. A lot of what has been popular for the past 4 years is going away due to over saturation and music operates in 8 year cycles broadly speaking

oh wow are you that guy that has heard every current release? that's so cool

>2018 because this is a transitional year for music
People were saying this in 2011

in a lot of ways 2011 was a transitional year
it all just really depends on where you're looking

yeah, it's all equally garbage, be it your meme nigger rap, pop faggotry or indie shit.

then fucking kill yourself lmao if it's the only move left

Attached: 1424360990642.jpg (998x974, 109K)

>caring about aggregators

aggregators have shit taste
consensus is nothing when it comes to art

you are literally obsessing over POPULARITY in ART. That's beyond stupid

Yeah, because people were waiting for Death Grips and Odd Future to happen. And then they did. And it was fucking nothing.

Remember WU LYF? Neither does anyone else.

>music = art
wrong and gay

>MGMT
It's hard to predict but I think they might

Heavy Pop was a good song :(

You have no clue what you’re talking about.

Where are the Coils of 2018? The Orb? Oval? Unwound? Jesus and Mary Chain?

Haxan Cloak and Dean Blunt wow so exciting. Zzzzzzz

Please tell me again how James Ferraro and Ariel Pink are somehow significant.

>It's hard to predict but I think they might
yeah, but only while they're suking each other off

You're using RYM ratings as your measurement, stay away from that circlejerk of a website.

This has been a terrible decade for music. Hopefully the rap meme will be over in the next decade

Attached: gatdr4.png (888x1084, 388K)

>I think they might
How unfortunate that would be for this generation of music you people are trying to defend.

And yes, even below the surface of aggregator popularity, there is nothing happening.

I’ve heard virtually all there is to hear. Its all being rehashed now. There is nothing to develop

Good god that is bad.

Every fucking genre has already peaked. There are no more avenues to explore. There is nothing new to develop.

People have been saying this for hundreds of years, and they're always proven wrong.

>they're always proven wrong.
They've haven't been proven wrong for 15 years.

Popular music is over. It came, and now it's gone.

people voted for the nazis and listen to coldplay, you can't trust people

kys my man

Since you want to avoid buzzwords, ill explain this to you in a way that includes none.

You are a person. A human being, who experiences that, in their subjective reality, they have been born at the "wrong" time of the infinite timeline we experience. A great dysphoria is aroused by the fact that you live in 2018, instead of say, the sixties. Back when music was subjectively "good".

Rym is not about popularity. It's a quality filter. That's why car seat headrest being the top album of 2018 is a travesty.

who gives a fuck about popular music tho

You just tried to call me a dadrocker which is fucking bullshit and not true.

You're a fucking idiot if you don't know what the term popular music entails.

Tip: It's almost every fucking thing you listen to.

This is the people who are trying to argue with me.

>whines about subjective reality (which is a buzzword)
>writes a subjective post
objectively you are a fag

"hurr all new music is bad le my generation is better"
whatever you say gramps

I'm starting to hate Car Seat Headrest not for their music itself, but for the fact that for the last 2 albums, they've completely overshadowed Parquet Courts in those particular years despite that band putting out superior material.

Human Performance was better than Teens of Denial, and based off the singles Wide Awake is certainly going to be better than Twin Fantasy.

Le wrong generation ): ):
Please just fucking hang yourself you whiney worthless subhuman, the world will be a better place for it

ay faglad, go suck your dad's cunt to the sound of taylor swift. if you're not a gaylord and in fact into real music, everything good is in the past

>jesus fucking christ you're just as bad as the children that whine that all music is bad just because they haven't bothered to listen to anything else than the radio and some spotify lists.
what are you even talking about you retard, i never said anything like this
i think there's plenty of good music that has come out this decade, my only post in this thread was

The 90s were objectively better than the 2000s and 2010s, yeah.

youtu.be/vvW6qiTkZdw

youtu.be/8h2VvMgwIF4

youtu.be/2R2UAHQNGz8

youtu.be/svmr9qJIwDE

youtu.be/47HuRQstUJQ

I'd be mad too if my generation was responsible for James Ferraro and Car Seat Headrest

>remakes finally hit music industry

well it was happening for movies for years now.

Fun fact: Anyone who literally only values "originality" and "innovation" above everything else in music does not actually like or care about music.

>Yeah, because people were waiting for Death Grips and Odd Future to happen. And then they did. And it was fucking nothing.

Death Grips disappeared up their own asses, which was honestly to be expected.

Odd Future, on the other hand... they dissolved as a group, but Tyler has had a resurgence (as of last year), Earl is considered one of the top MCs of the underground, and Frank Ocean has blown up in the last couple years. The dregs of that group like Hodgy Beats and Domo Genesis, yeah, they faded into oblivion, but the Odd Future experiment clearly had more net positives.

HAHAHAHA

ferraro is great. I know youre just hav

ugh I wish I was born in the 90s, no one understands my hip tastes these days, music is dead ): ):
Im sure figuring out the noose is tough but I believe in you! You will get it one day and finally remove yourselves

nope

>ferraro is great
No one thinks this. Not even you.

this thread is fucking bananas

I knew shit was bad when people were trying to put over The Strokes and Animal Collective. Then it was Tame Impala and Odd Future and Death Grips. Now it's Carseat Headrest and cloud rap

Culturally. Sterile.

Anyone who values culture over sound doesn't know how to listen to music.

And there are no fucking sounds being made in 2018 that are worth giving a shit about.

>Tip:

Attached: HD2072_07-E1P-global-001.jpg (1250x1308, 39K)

And the fact that there are none IS WHY YOU HAVE NO CULTURE.

this
they saved 2017 with Steroids
they will save 2018

i follow him on twitter and like all his posts. He is more than just music. He just premiered a play.

don't talk to me or my fellow poster ever again you fucking little cunt. take your shitty millennial taste and shove it up your tranny vag

Quit responding to him he's just mad.

Wrong. ALL sounds are worth giving a shit about, it's only a matter of sifting through them to find the ones that are most immersive and provoke a positive reaction.

If you're the same guy that posted this then the fact that you think a bunch of poor-man's Flaming Lips, Primal Scream and Labradford shit is "superior" to a lot of stuff in this decade that's really on the exact same level, then you are a complete lost cause. Lemme guess: You thought the new Slowdive album WASN'T on the same level as their 90's materal?

Steroids was pretty forgettable.

It's simply because it's a re-recording of a cult album. Re-recordings/remasters/re-whatevers of classic/cult stuff always get inflated reviews in all media, as its influence and legacy is already kind of clear by that time opposed to new stuff.

Flaming Lips, huh?

Yeah, I’m done with you.

Slowdive always sucked, just so you know.

Slowdive >>> Mercury Rev, just so you know.

Sorry for your taste.

Not interested in wasting my time with some who listens to The Soft Bulletin and Souvlaki. Move along.

But one more thing: it definitely makes sense now why you’re trying to defend the current state of popular music. You don’t know any better.

I am, seriously no good music in 3 decades, it's not just me being an obnoxious nostalgia fag with shit taste whining about everything, music has actually died, we should all whine about it in this thread while some faggot complains about how he wishes he was born 30 years ago

Neither Souvlaki nor Soft Bulletin are each of those bands best albums though.

ITT: name an album and i'll say it's shit

Attached: 1485799853150.jpg (400x400, 28K)

You're listening to indie rock, nigga. The whole genre is based on nonsense titles, band names, and lyrics. Kek

Thinking music can be rated objectively is literally brainlet-tier. Yeah yeah I know, I'm a soyboy or whatever. I challenge you to come up with a single cogent argument for music having objective value without resorting to
>muh skill and musicianship
>muh complexity
>muh real emotion
>muh deep meaningful lyrics
You literally can't prove me wrong

Nobody cares. Neither of those bands have a good album. Embryonic and Pygmalion and In a Priest Driven Ambulance and Just For A Day and The Terror and Slowdive and Yoshimi and Telepathic Surgery.

Fucking yawn.

objective ratings:
>it's good IF
i like it
>it's bad IF
i don't like it

i don't like anything
all music is bad

>muh everything is subjective
boring

This is definitely part of the problem. Socially inept internet nerds saying things like “nigga” and “Kek”

Face to Face is a great album but when a re-recording of an album from 7 years ago is the AOTY it means there's a problem

Nigga u gay xD

Attached: 888.jpg (600x641, 51K)

>Socially inept internet nerds
bro do u even lift?? xD

Prove I'm wrong

2017 was a specially shit year. Look at 2016 and you already see some fantastic music.
2015 was some one of the best years in recent memory.

tfw no capital o significant Other tho

>He assumes 2017=the entire decade
Every decade has their 2009s, big fucking deal.

Attached: e556af2d59ed9c8665e17739bc38db9f.jpg (800x594, 187K)

I didn't say they were significant you utter retard

your bullshit aggregator said that - popular opinion said that

What's the next cycle going to sound like?