Have no music skill

>have no music skill
>want to become a musician
>all music colleges ask for an admision test
yeah, is not like all the kids who want to be doctors or computer programmers are asked test to see if they already know the topic.

Attached: 1520380041734.png (650x773, 47K)

>going to college to learn an instrument
great idea.

what kind of music do you want to make? you could probably just do it by yourself at home

Just buy a cheap instrument and start playing retard.

I wanted to learn classical composition skills.

You wanted to learn composition skills without knowing an instrument?
There's something wrong with that approach, imo.

Imagine that you want to be a singer but your voice is absolutely shit so you'll never ever be able to sing.

I'd much rather have to deal with learning an instrument.

yeah, and that's the point of fucking colleges.

they don't ask admision tests for other majors.

Buy a crappy Yamaha keyboard or something, practice every day, and you'll be able to pass an admissions test user. If you can't put dedication into learning keyboard, you're pretty much not cut out for it.

man, I'm afraid I can't compete with 29 year old with fucking kids who've been studying since they were four years old.

You have to put in 10-20k hours to get good enough to make something good or be skilled enough on an instrument to be a session player and you're not going to clock up those hours in college

Then just live your life full of regret and don't do anything.

yeah, but you're not getting my point.

They don't ask kids who want to study CS a fucking CS test to see how good they are.

or the kids who want to study medicine a fucking surgeon practice before the school decides you're good enough to study.

isn't the fucking point of college is to learn something you don't know?

As someone who studies medicine, at least in the country I'm in, you have to have a science backgroud AND sit a rigorous admissions test and interview before they even cosider letting you into the degree.

I imagine for music it's the same, you gotta at least know how to read music and play an instrument based off that score before you can start learning college shit.

I reccommend getting a private piano teacher and learning to play/read from there. Give it time and practice user, if you're truly dedicated it'll happen

If you don't have time to teach yourself an instrument (piano), then you don't have time to practice if you were to get into a music program, which your professors will expect you to do. Preferably 2 hours a day. Alternately, you can take a non-credit course at a community college and use that as a jumping-off point. Still, you'll need to practice a lot. You can also lower your sights and apply for a more lenient music program. Or you can take lessons.

I can take private lessons, but I am not sure if they will allow me to learn the same as a music bachelor degree or learn enough theory as to compose classical music.

If composition is your main goal, I'd definitely suggest piano as the instrument to start on. Take lessons if you're beginning and ask your teacher to help you through music theory as well as practical playing skills.

You can buy beginner music theory books online or at your local music shop and just work through those to build up your knowledge of keys, rhythms, cadences, progressions etc.

Practical skills are important too since you're gonna be writing all your music on a piano anyway (even for string parts). You sound like you're pretty passionate about it so all I can say is get started now man, it's never too late

You can audit classes.
You can read books.
You can scour your local music library for CD's.
You can google.

I dunno if you can self teach yourself all the shit a bachelor has, plus all the profesor critiques.

You want to be a musician, but you don't want to try for it. That's all I'm getting. I don't understand the point of going to college for music, unless you want to be in some orchestra.

Your inherent musical skills will come out when you're learning, and you'll become your own professor. Yes it's nice to associate with other musicians, and you should always be doing that to hone in your craft, but it sounds like you're convinced that college is the only way for you to learn music but there are SO many examples that prove you don't even need to know theory to make music.
You need to know instruments or else you're not cut out for it. And you ARE cut out to learn instruments.
I hate to say it but you need to stop having such a defeatist attitude about it.

In a bachelor you will learn mainly theory and compositional techniques (e.g. counterpoint, chord progressions, modulations) but without a fundamental understanding of the theory basics none of it is gonna make sense to you.

You can do what this user says sure, but the one thing you're gonna need absolutely is a teacher who can notice the flaws in your playing and correct them. Self-teaching is good in principle but you've got to be ridiculously headstrong to stick to it, and no offense but you don't sound like that type of person OP

getting a classical academical composition education is what I want.

I'm just asking questions, but is frustrating to see begginer music degrees with fucking admision tests.

do this:
sit down with an instrument and try to learn it instead of just thinking about it.
like, get off your computer and sit down with an instrument instead of being scared of it.

I don't know what else to tell you.

I can guarantee you that 80% of what you would learn in classes you can learn with textbooks and google.
Music theory's not that hard to learn user.

That's so vague. What about music do you want to learn that you can't look up? These schools just teach you how to play in an orchestra. Just take your money and take lessons from a music teacher.

start taking harmony classes and musicianship classes at a community college. music schools are good but maily if you want to be a player in some famous orchestra

OP kill yourself. you are just making excuses. go practice something. do what you need to do to get into the school if that's what you really want to do. jesus fucking christ

>tfw wasting your teen years playing steam games taught you how much time 10k hours is

chill bro, I'm just frustrated I want to get in a music college but I don't have the skills to do it.

>chill bro
What? You have this idea in your head that music college is this great thing, but you're just not being realistic about it. Music college isn't magically going to improve your quality of life. In fact, it probably will do the opposite. If you want to learn something start doing it.

OP, you’re a fool. You mention these other courses you apparently need no knowledge for, but you are missing the point entirely. Imagine doing computer science without any mathematical knowledge or law having never written an essay before. You would be absolutely fucked.

The skills for music are not so transferrable from other academic fields, you either have an understanding of how it works or you don’t. You absolutely need to be competent at an instrument and know some music theory to start it at a higher level of education. This stuff takes a long time and a lot of effort to learn, it wouldn’t be feasible to offer a degree to someone with no prior knowledge or skills and it wouldn’t be fair on the majority of students who chose music because they know they are skilled at it.

no, no, NO,
user,
college is a business. the less of it you take the better.
all the greats took a semester and a half and then flew right the hell out of there.
music theory is also bullshit, it's all about practice and trying every piece you can and creating your own style.
1: learn a freaking instrument, preferably woodwind/brass then piano/guitar, then the drumset, it doesn't haveto be in that order
2: now that you've learned one or two instruments, start playing different crap with them, play covers, lot's of covers. covers you enjoy or you'll start hating what you play and that's not good.
3. now that you've been reading for some time: dabble here and there, make up some crap, and write it down, it doesn't need to be on sheet paper you can sometimes write the chords and go from there.
4. now get a band together, practice once a week, and after a few months do a gig.
this whole process should take a year, maybe less,
and then get washed up in drugs and alcohol for no apparent reason and die of an overdose like most good artists.
(actually: skip that part.)
lord with.

dude don't make these unrelated arguments though. you need to learn music, the basics, or whatever, and you CANNOT compare urself to other people who have been doing shit for a long time. FUCK THEM. only thing you can work on is you, starting right fucking now dude.

i was a junkie and nearly threw my life away, but i'm sitll here, 30 years old lol, almost finishing my undergrad, applying to grad school, and playing open mics. I mean i'm a fucking loser, but you have to try, and it's never too late, and you can't compare yourself to other people.

you can do it you fucking bastard.

MJ; no music theory, grew up with a band, wrote his own crap, self taught,
2pac: yeah he took theory lol
bach: he had to study YEARs before he even started to write: oh wait, no he just started writing.

It's not a competition. You're there to learn for yourself. There just happen to be other people in the room.