Angel

Re-watching pic related, and it's actually a lot deeper than I remember it.

A lot of the characters are well done and experience real arcs, a lot of the writing is clever with only slight touches of 90s-cheese. Hell, even the puns are good.

Angel is sympathetic yet interesting throughout and I was hoping we could have a thread about it? Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=vpAol_17mO0

Season 6 when?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tGAAtO5Sz9w
youtube.com/watch?v=Q5D-YIldov4
youtube.com/watch?v=vpAol_17mO0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This might be a meme question but how does he do his hair?

He was prett famous back in the day for having great hair, but he can't see himself in a mirror, so how does that work?

Make-up artists I guess? I bet they have people like that on set.

Seriously though, he probably just wakes up looking like that.

Well Sup Forums?

the first few episodes seemed like Buffy with guns.

you can tell how much effort was put into making that show. nothing today on the CW comes close to it still.

It was tough to get through Season One but after each season it got better and better and in the final season you didn't want it to end. I remember being surprised that the show could sometimes look really poor but still be so interesting. One episode I remember fondly was when Lindsey McDonald was stuck in some king of groundhog day torture dimension by Wolfram & Hart ^^. If you've seen Buffy you should definitely watch this show.

>first season Cordelia

She was hotter than Buffy ever was.

Literally aged like wine too.

The whole series is a TWEEST version of the Tomb of Dracula comics. It's great.

Connor>>>Janus

No matter how shit Connor was in the ealier episodes he was in, Janus is a faggot with not one redeeming quality.

Anyway, even the sequel comics After the Fall continues the Tomb of Dracula theme by making human Gunn into a vampire like they did to human Blade in the comics.

There's also a cartoon version of Tomb of Dracula. It's the Drac gets a faggot son who wants to kill him, then turns human storylines they used.

youtube.com/watch?v=tGAAtO5Sz9w

>After the Fall
>any buffyverse comic that's set after the show

AtF is the ONLY Buffy comics worth a damn.

It's the script of season 6 turned into comics form (but with more SFX budget than the actual show would have had).

>Gunn
>Blade

Potery. They also put Wes in a wheelchair for a few episodes for that Quincy Harker feel.

Oh yes, I'd find use for her.

I don't get why everyone hated Connor. I thought he was alright.

I liked him too, but I guess we're the only 2 people to feel that way.

Season 5 Connor was Best Connor though.

Angel would vote Trump.

I would argue day and night that Angel is the superior show to Buffy.

Angel most certainly had a rocky 1st season but there is a running plotline from season 1-4 that culminates in one of the most interesting season finales I've ever seen as well as laying the groundwork for Season 5. In all my years of television watching I've never seen a group of characters that I've enjoyed more than Angel's supporting cast.
>Angel
>Cordy
>Wesley
>Gunn
>Fred
>Lorne
>Eventually Spike
This was the team to end all teams. Also the character arcs for the main cast are nothing short of phonemenal. ALl the characters change in significant and realistic ways throughout the series that I have never seen replicated. Wesley Wyndam Pryce is my favorite Whedon character out of all of his properties.

truly best girl after willow rosenBERG of course

only problem with Lorne is that it took them until season 5 to really figure out what to do with him

muh nigga

He was comic-relief for a few seasons but he was pretty good at it.

I think I went a little gay for Wesley.

Wes has the best character arc in any tv show.

that was one of the meta joke reasons spike picked on him for it "nancy boy hair gel" it probably took a lot of effort doing it without being able to see it, kind of going by feel.

Who wouldn't?

Like Spike can talk, he's a Billy Idol ripoff!

Buffy confirmed for Hillary-supporter.

true

Never caught that joke. Was it in Angel or Buffy?

That intro is so fucking cool.

do I need to watch Buffy before watching this? I just want Amy Acker

Not really, they do a decent job catching you up and Angel actually does a better job delving into his origins

God no. Buffy starts incredibly slow and barely touches on Angel or his actual personality.

Angel's own show does a much better job of characterizing him than Buffy does.

In Buffy, Angels is just a pretty face that existed as Buffy's season-romance. Angel's personality is very limited there, and it doesn't start showing the moral complications of his position until his own show begins.

thanks, I'll give it a try

Bu-but I've been enjoying the comics.... Guess I am alone here.

>Angel would vote Trump.

he's a dead illegal immigrant. that's core Democratic constituency.

Yeah but he's Irish

Billy Idol ripped off him

sure, Spike

Buffy is so low-test.

Last season of Angel was genuinely excellent TV. I mean the rest was good, but the concept of the heroes going to work for WR&H was genius. Its like if Palpatine offered the rebels from Star Wars a power-sharing deal. Or in fact like the UK Lib Dems joining a coalition with the Tories. Absolutely clever. It follows through on the themes of Buffy: as a teenager you can be idealistic and fight everything but then you grow up and compromise (or maybe sell your soul a little) and work with the system, or become some hopeless isolated nutter.

They played Angel's character very well in the last season. He felt like he was giving up on his atonement for the greater good. That he'd signed his soul to the devil for what he thought was right. It was a neat final season.

>Season 6 when?

Literally never ever. Joss told us that he wouldn't be working on any more TV adaptations of Angel. The only thing he's willing to entertain is more Buffy crap.

Angel. Early first season episode.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q5D-YIldov4

David Boreanaz has said he'll never play Angel again also.

I really hate what Whedon has become, but marathoning Buffy and Angel as a teenager was amazing.

She show hits its stride mid S1.
I found a lot of it to be better than Buffy.

Really? Why?

In fairness, the guy is getting too old for it. If the series was to pick up for a 6th season, they'd have to do some magic to make him look younger. Yes, yes, I know the "he hasn't aged a day" meme, but if you look at the guy in the end of season 5, and now in Bones, he's gotten a lot older.

The only way they could pull it off was if season 6 took place 10 years after the end of season 5.

Wesleys death is the only thing that has made me feel as far as TV goes.

The entire scene and the arc building up to it is fantastic.

He aged like shit while the show was on. S1 and S5 feel like 20 years.

Hell he looked much younger when he left Buffy beforw going solo.

17 years later and still the GOAT opening theme to a tv series.
>youtube.com/watch?v=vpAol_17mO0

Setting it ten years later wouldn't solve it. Angel is a vampire, he doesn't age.

>what is the Shanshu prophecy

i keep trying to rewatch it but that first season is pretty rough around the edges as they try to find their groove.

i always thought they could do an animated adaptation. or maybe a video game. something like the Telltale games or an adventure game, more emphasis on solving mysteries and puzzle solving than "choices" that don't actually matter.

This. Guy. Fucking. Gets it.

What was the deal with that cop women from the earlier seasons? She ends up disappearing or some shit.

She got a steady job offer on Law and Order so she left. Basically she finds out Angel is a vamp, then some crooked cops go after her dad, kill him, and it looks like Angel did it. She then tries to commit suicide, angel saves her, and she leaves. She comes back in the comics as some antiques dealer, but that's after After the Fall, which is where I kinda fell off.

That's not Batman:TAS

ATF was irredeemable garbage and is not canon. Show ends S05.