Ok, watched this a few hours ago and still dont get it, what was the alien gift? their language? why we would need it?

Ok, watched this a few hours ago and still dont get it, what was the alien gift? their language? why we would need it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G8U21reHexg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>what was the alien gift
>their language

yes, and with the language, the ability to experience memories from the future. its the reason their writing system requires them to know how its already goign to end, they write from the future and the past, to meet in the present.

>why we would need it

the idea here is that if we DIDNT get the language we would have inevitably fought each other and destroyed ourselves, not because of the aliens, but because any number of other reasons we are currently fighting. this struggle with the aliens allowed the humans to unite, especially since we now know our future.

it was done so that one day in the distant future our species would still be alive and be able to help the aliens in their time of need.

these are the type of people telling you whether a movie is bad

yeah but why did she have her kid anyway

>why we would need it?
If we knew that Trump was going to become president, we could have prevented it and saved the world.

Because it was an essential part of her discovering the alien language.

this

I can't believe anyone can be retarded enough to not get a movie that is made specifically for the capeshit crowd.

yeah but she knew her kid was going to die

>Why we would need it?
What kind of sentence is this?

again, the existential aspect. she chooses to control her life by choosing to give into whats happening.

also because she already remembers loving the child so much that she wouldn't want to live without her at all.

she only knew that after she had already had the kid, in the future.

Globalist propaganda

nah she was afraid if her past self changed actions her future self would be unable to communicate

so she killed her kid

how was the chink general directly speaking to her past self? did the future general also learn the language at that point in time and can cross timestreams, so to speak?

Socks would have better. Everyone needs socks.

nope. she gave birth to someone she knew would die.

which is actually normal considering immortality doesn't exist. she couldn't prevent the death. only the birth.

i get the gift was their language but still dont know how it works on people, if you know it you can see the future?

>asking questions about things that are literally plainly stated in the film

>speak to her past self

thats not what happened. basically the language let her access the future as memories. memories of the future is the best way to describe it.

at the time when all this struggle was happening you have to remember that her character was 1) new to the language and 2) new to the 'gift'.

she hadn't mastered it the way the aliens had so it was confusing and harder to sort through, like trying to remember what life was like when you were 3. blurry and vague.

she wasn't communicating with different parts of her life, just 'remembering' things that hadn't happened yet, and in doing so ensuring they would.

The "get time travel powers just because you learned our language" part waas writen by a retard. They already put that 12 parter info into te film, couldn't they make it that it had info on how to time travel in it?

It's villememe shills pretending to be dumb

thats the idea. language shapes the way we see the world according to the movie.

when you learn it, time collapses and you experience consciousness at all points in time if you choose, like tuning in to a radio station. all your future selves are sending input back to you.

She knew the future the same as she knew the past - you can't change either.

The way they shot tht scene was as if future her had no fucking idea who that general was and wat the fuck he wants from her, time travel or not she should have already remembered that she fucking called him.

hollywood semantics. her future self should have as much agency as the version we get to watch, eliminating hard determinism but preserving arrow-of-time.

people abort their babies when they detect abnormalities in the womb

she spoke to the chinese guy and changed the future

again, she was still only learning the language, not having mastered it, and in those moments was just barely even realizing that she had this gift, let alone how to use it.

She says it was a choice and Hawkeye thought she chose wrong.

And the time travel talk wasn't the purpose, just a bonus. They came to become allies with Earth for whatever was going to happen in 3000 years.

What does war mean in Han Mandarin?

some do. doesn't make what she did 'killing' her daughter. it was literally giving her a chance to live her life.

why don't you just stick to cat in the hat in the future, all right pal?

amor fati bitches

yeah but how long do you have to wait before you no longer bear onus of your lasting actions

no time at all. she didn't kill her daughter. she let the inevitable happen. she let her daughter live for as long as possible

>dude big gov will protect you lmao
>dude dont listen to those right wing guys, they're crazy xD
other than that the movie was pretty good

Its shit OP

its self fulfilling
he tells her what she said later in her life

you're one of those don't touch the lever carry no responsibility people

Your "theory" does not excuse shit writing.

no, im just not autistic.

we all know our kids will die. some will die sooner than later. the kid almost made it to adulthood, its worth letting them live their life.

its not a theory, its literally what happened.

its not shit writing either for that matter.

but im sure you're a master of the art.

on the contrary, if you dont let her live despite knowing her whole life exists, thats a lot closer to killing. you're not letting them live at all.

i know but the chink general behaved with full awareness that the past events of the story can only occur if he did what he did at that exact moment, which is fine. it's just redhead's reaction that bewilders me as if she doesn't know what exactly is happening. like another user pointed out, she should have a memory of making the call.

Good point. Wasn't there like 15-20 years that had gone by though? She had also never met him in person

is there a stream for this flick yet?

>masturbation is murder

overrated shit

felt underwhelmed

>i did it mommy i finally became The Arrival

Agreed. The aliens left for no raisin and then I didn't care at all about the sudden romance and kid plot at the end.

You can tell most people on Sup Forums hated Arrival because they don't speak more than one language.

dumb american swine

I feel like her past self, when soaking to the general (or some time after that) told the general that she would need to hear that info at a certain point in the future

>about the sudden romance and kid plot at the end.
>sudden at the end
These are the kind of idiots who critique films unironically on Sup Forums.

I dislike films where Jeremy Renner tries to convince us he is heterosexual in a love story.

He should stick to being a gay action hero.

>[Panting]
>"So..."
>[Panting intensifies]
>"..this"
>[PANTING]
>"...truly.."
>[A short pause for some more Panting]
>"..is.."
>[P A N T I N G]
>.."The Arrival"
>[Pant]

How can you not get one of the best sci-fi films in recent memory?

The Arrival makes Interstellar look like Lost in Space.

This movie is the most consistent pleb filter I have ever seen.

that's fine, but why does she react like she had no idea why the general was conveying the phone# and wife's last words info to her in that scene? is it adams' acting or vile's directing of his actress that was lacking? i felt adams didn't fully understand what that scene was supposed to import. it looked like a world summit cum anniversary celebration of the arrival too, the events of the movie should be recalled in her memory.

They were obviously each others love interest. I just didn't expect the alien movie to end with the focus on her getting a baby and a husband. The pinnacle of the first alien interaction is her family life. We don't see how this changes the world

Was barely explained at all in the movie, read the short story instead.

Have you ever experienced a memory of yourself for the first time?

Is the memory of yourself you, or is it a memory of you?

The greatest science fiction films generally have the setting as a backdrop for a character study or social/political message.

>Blade Runner
>Metropolis
>The Day the Earth Stood Still
>2001
>Children of Men

Etc.

arrival could allude to the appearance of extraterrestrials, or a pregnancy

BRAVO DENIS

I think the general figured it out on his own without learning or using the alien language. If you don't understand a language that doesn't mean you can't identify it.

Superior film incoming

>comparing two very different films in different genres

go back to r/movies

both are made by same director, reeeeee. you need to go back. we do that alll the time.

I am now fully convinced by all these threads lately that screeners bring out all the sub intelligent dogs who are only capable of discussing literal plot points of a film, if that even.

Just wow.

It always surprises me how stupid modern day audiences are, can't even follow the plot of a movie anymore. I guess that's why they like the MCU's generic and formulaic plots because they are easier to follow for them. Generation Z is fucked.

>Wasn't there like 15-20 years that had gone by though?
Year and a half, and she acted like she heard what happned for the first time..

I speak 3 languages and i found time travel because new language a retarded shit, where is your god now?

She did hear it for the first time then. It's just a twist on the grandfather paradox.

There is no time travel in the movie, only change of time perspective where she sees the future just like we see our past in the form of memories.

Also I hope you don't count english in those 3 languages you know because your whole post is an uncoherent mess of sentences.

>There is no time travel in the movie, only change of time perspective where she sees the future just like we see our past in the form of memories.
Fuck no, she acted during the meeting with genaral as if it was her from the past, confused and shit.
>Also I hope you don't count english in those 3 languages you know because your whole post is an uncoherent mess of sentences.
Jokes on you, i practise my english here and when i play games online, so i just copy the way you talk.

The language helps you see the future.

It was gifted to humans because it allows humans to help the aliens 3,000 years in the future in some manner unspecified.

It was quite boring desu
Too much time in one location. Or maybe im just sleepy tonight.

>10 minute set up
>1 hour 30 minutes translating circle
>10 minute romance

youtube.com/watch?v=G8U21reHexg
I wish I had space language so I could go back in time and prevent myself from watching this

Did you completely miss the ending?

>lowercase "reeeee"
>We do it all the time
>We

Spotted the true imposter newfag. I am the true alpha-olddog here and Ive only got one thing to say to you, kiddo.

REEEEEEE

Ability to perceive the future, but that is pretty fucked up... I mean, that would constantly change if more than a million people learned the language.

Minor example:
Person A perceives future where a bomb will explode tomorrow.
Person B also perceives the same thing.
Person C, D, E, F, etc... same thing
Person C Decides to "change the future"
>Future changes so the bomb is avoided
Person A through w.e now reads the future where the bomb is avoided BEFORE it actually occurred.

Fuck, I'm so confused
Its entirety is a plot twist to begin with. Its just so fucking vague.

I might go read that short story and see if it makes things clearer how this shit was supposed to be Sci-Fi Sapir-Whorf

>Time Judge rules which future is ascendant
>This future is now much more likely to be perceived than alternate futures, like a stronger wifi signal in an area
Reminder the hectapods' entire civilization are all clairvoyants

The d was just that good. Also she wanted his money

alex pls go

user she wasn't literally in the future meeting the chinese general. It was a visual representation of her recalling a memory from the future.

8 Y E A R S

There's present Adams and there's future Adams. There are two separate Adamses, just as the 1second from now you is not literally the same as the 1second ago you. Contrast with a scene recorded today will still be the same scene viewed a decade from now.

The future Adams experiences. And those experiences are what past Adams recalls. There has to be a conscious being on the future end, and not just a representation in order to record experiences into memory.

tl;dr future Adams is as real as present Adams