Which version of A Series of Unfortunate Events is better? The film version or the Netflix version?

Which version of A Series of Unfortunate Events is better? The film version or the Netflix version?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pIUnmZAHY3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=WvDzyRMlm6Y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hard to tell. I haven't seen the movies in years.

The books

this, I'll need to rewatch the Jim Carrey's Series of Unfortunate Events.

I don't remember anything from the movie other than the girl being a total 10/10

neither version is good

Film had best score and production values.

The movie has the better tone, music, and production budget

However the Netflix show has better writing, pacing, cast (for the most part), is more close to the books, and is getting the full series adapted as opposed to just the first 3 books and a botched ending of book 1

I'd say watch both.

I agree except for the casting. The majority of actors in the show gave horribly awkward performances, and NPH is completely unintimidating as Count Olaf

both versions have their pro's and cons. they're both OK but they both make some bad decisions in adding/removing content as well as casting. I'd recommend reading the books

I liked the movie

The show is terrible. Sherlock tier pandering garbage.

Nice quads. But can you explain what you mean?

Haven't seen the movie in years, but the show looks ugly and the new kids suck.
End of episode 8 was great though.

>more close
Closer.

Movie was good ok it's own right, but as an adaptation of the Series Of Unfortunate events books the show is much better for me.

Also ending song is best song

the book version pleb

*on its own right

Terribly sorry

>botched ending of book 1
writing with left hand shit is stupid

Does it actually legally matter what hand you write with? Like if you sign a contract you later disagree with can you just go "haha wrong hand oops"?

Sure

Every character is as smart/dumb as the plot needs them to be. The characters don't have personalities, they have costumes and jobs to preform. The only ones who don't suffer from this are the children, and they're worse off being stagnant and boring. The show in general is way to jokey. There's no tension. We feel no consequences. When we're presented with The Count being despicable it's just off-putting and weird. The show hypes up how terrible all of this is but it's treated like a joke. There's nothing even remotely dower about it. In the movie there are multiple times where you feel liek the kids are in real danger and you can actually understand why these are UNFORTUNATE events. The show starts with that premise and immediately flys off the rails. It's like fan fiction, which is why Sherlock is shit. It's written by people why simply like the source material but don't have any understanding of it.

No. Of course not.

It's a kids book. If they really wanted to, they could have just said that she was coerced into marrying, and annulled it.

movie undoubtedly

>It's written by people why simply like the source material but don't have any understanding of it.

You do know Daniel Handler wrote the show?

I like the netflix version better.

So you're telling me this is a George Lucas situation?

No. Hand you sign it with doesn't matter. But since she signed the contract under duress, it's null and void anyway. But signing with the wrong hand is funnier and it's for kids so it doesn't matter.

well said.

I'd say the film has a slight edge, the higher production values allow of a more realised

No, technically neither would burning the document. Nor getting a judge to sign on it under false pretence, or signing it under duress...

*only 5 episodes in

from what i've seen, the movie is much better. the movie also has a bitchin' end credits sequence

Content: Netflix show
Visuals and acting: movie

the movie forgets that olaf is a bad actor

which is fine but it's not a good adaptation

the one that doesn't feel like a costume musical special of how i met your mother

So can someone explain to me why the books are so loved? From what i remember they set up all this conspiracy and macguffin shit only for it to not matter at all and have no real conclusion or explanation.

They tell you that they're sad and unfulfilling, and they follow through on that promise

Most children's first dive into mature stories that don't always have a happy ending. Solid and fun writing on top of that

Are you the same guy that said the exact same shit the last time i asked this question?

Quantifiable literary faults =/= In Narrative 'disappointment'.

What you're arguing is basically "HAHA I WAS PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED!" as justification for acting retarded.

All of the answers are available in the lore

It's not the 'happy' ending though. It's the complete lack of closure and certifiable faults from a literary standpoint.

If i start a shitty series by saying "This is going to be shitty lmao" i don't understand how that's justification for it being shitty, especially when it's quite well loved and respected despite said failings.

I'm not, this appears to just be the accepted answer. I guess you're just stupid.

>Quantifiable literary faults
When the books tell you, straight up, from the first page of every volume "this is sad and there's no answers", and it follows through, there's no problem, you're just butthurt that they didn't satisfy your autistic need for answers. This is ignoring that he gave most of the answers away later anyway.

Story
series > movie
Olaf
Carrey > NPH

Series is good. Movie is also good.

>Quantifiable literary faults
Either quentinpost like a man or fuck off

From my understanding 90% of the explanations are found in the 'Lemony Snickett Autobiography' which is completely separate from the mainline series.

For a series so respected to get multiple attempts at adaptions, it just seems like a major cop out that gets glossed over because it was the first series you people read as kids.

>not reading the Autobiography

To be fair, it is unauthorized

>it was the first series you people read as kids.

No, that would be the Tripod trilogy.

The only thing that was explained during the original publishing time frame was the Great Unknown...which didn't really need an explanation, just that it was sinking shit.

wasn't*

Anyone who doesn't understand the choices made in the Netflix series has zero appreciation for the books

Desu senpai that girl was fine as fuck.

deadryl was incredible as aunt Josephine in the movie, watch it just for that

>the movie forgets that olaf is a bad actor

It did? I just felt that all the adults were idiots.

>Netflix
>better cast
I can't think of a single actor on the show who is better than the film version.

Netflix for obvious reasons

The movie credits are as good as the movie. I can only imagine how expensive they must have been

klaus and the henchmen are much, much better

snickett is a tossup

Sunny.

>snickett is a tossup
not really. jude law was perfect. meme man isn't the right fit at all.
literally the only thing the tv show gets better than the film is olaf's henchman. everyone else is a worse actor, and the story just isn't as entertaining. this proves that being a faithful adaptation means jack shit in terms of making good art.

i can stop posting in these threads now because you have literally said everything that I have issue with this show

nailed it

the tonal issue is so weird, especially in episode 3 where there's is a dead body on the screen half of the episode and everything is treated like a joke

why don't they just fucking kill cunt olaf

he has a knife dude

Agreed, but disagree with the cast part.

I think my main issue with NPH (which actually goes for a lot of the characters) as Olaf is he feels incredibly stiff. Every line seems kind of forced out, and the actors feel wooden. Somehow in the movie, the actors just sort of fit right into their characters.

What made Carrey's Olaf work so well was the fact that a lot of his lines were improv'd (originally). His intro does a good job displaying the range Olaf operates within: comedic and brash, to quite unnerving. His "Why so glum?" is such a great line.

youtube.com/watch?v=pIUnmZAHY3Q

I do like the show for including more material from the books, and you're right in that its pacing is well done. I just feel like they followed the books a little too word-for-word. The world the Netflix series created feels smaller somehow. The movie, despite it's length, absolutely nailed the book's feeling of "Timelessness".

tl;dr, I really wish we got everyone from the movie (back when they were that age), and turned it into a series, instead of a one shot movie.

I love the hook-handed henchman in the series. I was sold when they did the first musical number and played the piano and ended his little rift by striking some silly ass pose so smoothly. Fuck me, the dude is hilarious.

>Snickett is a tossup.

I can't take the guy seriously, knowing he's been in Rules of Engagement and voice acted in Family Guy. Soon as they introduced him as Snickett I wanted to drop the series, but was really curious as to how NPH would do as the Incredibly Charming and Dashingly Handsome Count Olaf.

Mr. Poe is funny as fuck

What do you mean? One's a movie and the other is a tv series. How do you even compare an hour and a half movie that smashes three books together to a tv series that isn't even finished?

Very carefully?

anyone else prefer the movie Sunny over the Netflix Sunny?

I know everyone is up in arms bout NPH, but I think he's good. Not great, because he can't do actually villanous Olaf as well as he can do funny Olaf, but he's fine. Carrey was better in terms of acting , but I have to disagree with I'm not watching aSoUE to hear improv. I love how closely the Netflix series is sticking to the lines in the books, because they were good.

But my main issue is am i really the only person who thinks Waburton is a really bad Snicket? He's not doing his usual inflections, but he sounds wrong and looks wrong and doesn't actually seem sad, just matter-of-fact. Please have some respect and don't cast Kronk. I'm sure there's someone out there with a nice voice who can actually capture the feeling.

I think the series wins automatically because it came out after the books were over. Starting an adaptation before the reveal of the entire plot backbone is a bad idea.
Not do say it doesn't have flaws. I don't remember if all of the episodes have the same director, but they need to. The deaths and violence in the 1st and 3rd stories were presented grimly enough, but not quite as much in the 4th, and only till the cavalry showed up in the 2nd. Keep the tone that they had when Olaf smacked Klaus. That was sad.

The music was forgettable all around.
Both have good set and prop design.
The baby was overplayed in the books too, so that doesn't matter
I think the Netflix series also wins for casting. The kids are good, Poe is great, the judge is great, the troupe is great, but I'm a sucker for stupid henchmen in general.
The parent b-plot was a little annoying, but I see why it was put in. I dropped the books around the same time as a kid because i didn't see where it was going and it just seemed weird. I'm glad I picked them back up, but I can see how a hook would be useful, even if they were browbeating the secret society shit anyway.

With the exception of Snicket, I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

TV Violet < Movie Violet
TV Klaus > Movie Klaus
Carrey is better as Olaf being Olaf
NPH is better as Olaf in disguise
Puddy and Young Pope are different but equal for Lemony

I haven't seen the movie. But I do think that Sunny should get more lines.

The 4 book adaption was one of the best, but they turned her sword-fighting moment into a damsal-in-distress.

the film
Not in the UK, Australia or New Zealand (Graucoub v L'Estrange)

In terms of better cast:

>Netflix
Mr Poe
Henchmen
Justice Strauss
Klaus

>Movie
Josephine

>Toss up
Olaf
The rest of the Bauldelaires
Lemony Snicket

i recently rewatched it and don't think it holds up at all

there was actually a point in legal history, yes, but not today

When was that?

>dower
>not dour
You're not as smart as you think you are

how long until season 2?
fuck.... its going to be after Stranger Things S2 right?
:/ Violet is going to be too old by then

>Mr. Poe is funny as fuck
Mr. Poe is amazing, the best part of the series.

>we're very concerned

wtf kind of tagline is that

they started filming before the first one was dropped late 2017 and then finished in mid 2018 is my guess

if they go real hard mid 2017 june-september release with last season on 2018 early

considering the fact that they just assumed it was going to be an instant success they've must've already gotten all the actors needed

>Used to love this series
>Watch first episode
>Generally uninterested with its direction
Does it get better when it's more established?
I generally found NPH annoying and the tone was too focused on humour.
Am I alone?

No, a lot of people here are having a hard time adjusting to NPH. He's not terrible, he just feels, off.

The movie's budget helps it out, it captures the atmosphere of the setting a lot better. And while Jim Carrey's Olaf isn't great, NPH's is worse.

In other regards the show is better. It's still not perfect though. It feels a bit too light hearted, a bit too silly, not quite grim enough, though as the show went on that got better, and I'm still optimistic for later seasons. It wasn't really until the second half of the series that the tone got really properly dark and muddy.

I agree with for the most part as well. But I'd say the movie casts Monty and Josephine better than the show. and I'd also add the movie's set pieces are better.

Agreed on all points.

NPH makes Olaf too, I dunno, youthful and bumbling. Olaf, though he was eccentric and full of himself, could still get shit done, he wasn't a total idiot. There was real menace there. NPH only really shines at the disguises, which is literally the reason why he was cast.

Nah, but it does get better. Each book adaptation is better than the last, the last two episodes are actually pretty decent. I wasn't a huge fan of season 1, but the way it was shaping up was enough to get me excited for later seasons, particularly 3.

NPH got a little better over time, a little more comfortable, but he's still one of the worst things about it.

Why is no one mentioning the movie soundtrack?
youtube.com/watch?v=WvDzyRMlm6Y

Thomas Newman kicks ass.

Maybe my memory's off because it's been so long, but I thought Olaf kind of fluctuated between being kind of a buffoon and being genuinely sinister in the books too. At least over the first half of the series.

It must have been 8 years since I read the books, if not more. I'm sure the waiting list at the library is a mile long. Maybe I'll ask my mom to send me my old copies...[/spoiler

>he just feels, off.
You could say he feels Oloff

I feel like that was directed intentionally. It seemed like they were trying for that stilted Wes Anderson type vibe with a lot of the dialogue.

Yeah, that's the impression I got too.

Film had the better girl.

Did anyone read the spin-off series about Young Lemony Snicket?

Yes, and the Netflix series reference it a couple times.

NPH is a touch too quirky and young-sounding for the role, and he's up against a fantastic interpretation. The chick who plays Violet is just an awful actor, and while I do like Warburton as Snicket, Jude Law was a better pick, Snicket should be a lithe reporter-esque character, not Brick Mcshithouse.

The series is closer to the books in tone, and the rest of the cast is better than in the movie, but unfortunately the most major roles are the ones that they fucked up on. I'm excited to see where the series goes from here, but I think the film is still absolutely worth watching. Some of the parts where they deviated from the books the most, like with Stephano or the train scene are great. But others are awful, like Olaf having a massive fucking magnifying glass on display pointed at the Baudelaire mansion.

If you were only able to watch one for some crazy reason, I'd still say the movie right now. For one, it's a lot shorter. But if you haven't read the books, it does spoil a few bits, so if you were going to watch both eventually, I'd start with the show.

You realize it's directed like a Wes Anderson movie because the books are written like a Wes Anderson movie, right?

Oh, what am I even asking? No, you clearly don't realize that.