/lbg/ - letterboxd general

The mission of /lbg/ is to promote the highest possible standards of film logging and reviewing by providing members with opportunities for professional development, by recognizing technical competence through examinations and by advancing the interests of its members.

Haven't got an account? Follow this link and sign up today! letterboxd.com

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/movies/comments/5p5s77/what_movies_do_you_consider_1010/
letterboxd.com/cancer/
reddit.com/r/criterion/
youtube.com/watch?v=UA5VgVxxVzg
youtube.com/watch?v=J3zeDRBf85s
youtube.com/watch?v=CQzUsTFqtW0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

whatever you do, dont follow anyone who posts their profile itt, theyre all just circlejerking douchebags

>goodreads for movies
yeah yeah except gr has way more useful features than shitterboxd

Such as?

Holy shit, what a complete faggot way to make the OP.
Also, could you try to be more desperate to be the one making the new edition of this garbage general?

>The mission of /lbg/ is...
kek, how delusional are you faggot. you must be german.

the point of /lbg/ is to shit talk about other users and pretend you're a patrician by logging obscure films that you haven't even seen.

reddit.com/r/movies/comments/5p5s77/what_movies_do_you_consider_1010/

Reminder that /r/movies is the definitive film and culture discussion forum.

>by logging obscure films that you haven't even seen
you mean by making your favourites all super obscure movies and only rate others by how obscure their favourites are and how many movies overall they have logged.

CURRENT THREAD:

Bravo to your tastes, sir. That's quite the selection

Post your top 10 and if you're patrician enough I'll send you an invite to the /r/truefilm and /r/movies discord

This is the OP of someone who takes /lbg/ as serious business.
Think positive: You might be bad, but you're not this guy

Groups.
Messaging.

Interstellar
Gladiator
Back to the Future
Grand Budapest
Die Hard
The Matrix
Terminator 2
Mad Max Fury Road
Goodfellas
Any Edgar Wright film.

Is being passionate about a hobby a negative trait?

It is if your hobby is letterboxd general threads

It certainly is when this hobby is a general in a board of a site, and them being what they are

No, but being autistic is.

No, but being autistic is.

Bravo to your autism, sir.

What are your hopes for future Criterion releases?

I can't even think of one.
dont get too worked up, it's all shit talking here. i like letterboxd. good way to keep track of movies you've watched. and every once in a while some people will have a discussion on movies they've watched.

>I can't even think of one.

typical normie.

The Star Wars Prequel Trilogy

>i hateee criterion so much my faves? everything by the hollywood collection :)

what exactly determines what gets a criterion release?

In ascending order: rights and film elements availability, moneymaking prospects

besides the fucking obvious.

rights + "movie buff" status of it (just check the reddit thread where they praise the canon).

+money

letterboxd.com/cancer/

The Graduate is sucha good flick and I strongly recommend it if you haven't seen it, it show how America used to be able to make authentic mainstream art films and not meme "auteur" trash like The Revenant

Sometimes the selections deal with the technical innovations the films presented. Case in point, Armageddon and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Armageddon isn't a great film, but as the extras explain on the Criterion disc, it was one of the first films to obtain help from and access to NASA and the military in a significant way. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button developed new technology in order to have Brad Pitt perform at different ages. Therefore, the contributions don't necessarily come from the films themselves, but rather through the processes by which the films came to fruition.

You really think it's an art film?

What is "inauthentic" about The Revenant?

How is AGI not an auteur?

If you aren't already, I recommend subscribing to this subreddit: reddit.com/r/criterion/
They've even got an /lbg/ favourite Edward Yang thread.

Okay, kiddo.

funny enough i actually just finished watching the revenant.
honestly, i loved all the raw frontier shit. the hunting and fighting was really well done. great acting and cinematography and all that other shit.
what it really suffers from is all the middle shit with the visions and "muh wife". beginning and end is great though.

The Dove might be the most pretentious thing ever

kind of criminal to have armageddon get a criterion release but no 2001:a space odyssey dont you think?

Why? 2001 already has proper bluray release.

Thoughts?

true. but i imagine there's a lot of behind the scenes stuff they could dig into and document that the blu ray doesnt have.

Not an art film like a film essay, but art like you are making a film with artistic vision, a genuine attempt to display your creativity without caring about critics
It's a complicated subject because it always develop into my opinion > your opinion, but it feels like he tries too hard, he cares to much about the technical details to the point everything seems a self-indulgent exercise of "look how good I'm making this" rather than a good film, I also think a good amount of the "inauthentic" attribution come from his "homage" to Tarkovsky, some people feel it's pure plagiarism; It is implied that Tarkovsky did what he did from a genuine perspective and Inarritu did it because he sees himself as a great director.

Do you have any basis for those claims and hate? Interpreting some cheesy Tarkovsky memorial scene as "i'm great director look at me IM DIRECTINGGGGG" is quite weird.

The problem is the full movie is full of Tarkovsky references, again, most people think of Tarkovsky and they imagine a well-read Russian trying to make philosophical questions through his films, making USE of technical details to convey his message, it is like Inarritu tries really hard to do the same but he do what he does because that’s what great directors do, there’s not an original message, there’s no substance, he makes technicalities the main achievement of the film.

tfw Wajda is actually pronounced Vaida all along

You didn't seriously think it was wadge-da did you?

go aawayy u have the worst account

What would mean substance to you? How would you rewrite a narrative in The Revenant (pick any) to have substance?

Stop using trash as an adjective.

Why do you say that? He has a good eye for cheesy, kitsch stuff, good bad taste as they call it.

HA nailedem

>reddit

youtube.com/watch?v=UA5VgVxxVzg

blocked by SJB hahahaha can't comment on that La La Land review that is pure cancer

fucken dumb ape. goddamn fucken idiot. so pathetic. so truly pathetic. i cannot stand to look at that polygendered oaf any longer. dirtugly chunk of catshit. cancer in your asshole, sally! centuries of temporal pain in your afterlife!

Reminder that la la land is bad just because the cast is white

>CW: white supremacy/racism/whiteness, gender

ahahaha what a fucking site my fucking sides

Wow i bet SJB is such a fan jazz, he must be a real expert on the genre and not just projecting his insane beliefs on the movie

That review was such horseshit. In the comments some fag runs in "wow great review, haven't even seen the movie yet"

I want to die

Some of the sequences in the untouchables were amazing by themselves but it never really came together into a whole

Emily Jean is amazing

One would think he'd realize that if he has to block every 2nd person the problem lies with him.

Then again, can't expect insane, narcissist trannies to be capable of that kind of introspection.

one of my least favourite DePalma's

youtube.com/watch?v=J3zeDRBf85s

/pastaeltbxfrola

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyPhsFxnc_c

pastafrola

h'haaa i need-a see this
'the fuck up

how he walk tho

I didn't really know how it would be pronounced, I knew it wouldn't be andurrzej wajjda but that was a fun way to say it in my head whenever I read it

stop calling daisy ridley xenomorph you fucking fags, she's adorable

i wanted to post this in more threads but i have to wait for the timer to let me post it again

youtube.com/watch?v=CQzUsTFqtW0

holy...

why did you react like that

Where the fuck is Dragon Inn already reeeeeeeeee?

Where the fuck is Dragon Inn already reeeeeeeeee?

get the european blu bro :^)

THAT'S FUCKING IT!!!!!

>tfw no Noriko-chan gf

a) which is the better poster?
b) which is the better film?

right has the most bitches, right is best

i agree w/r/t those posters, but i haven't seen Dragon Inn yet, and don't want to buy a poster for a film i might not like

(though i've seen Come Drink With Me and A Touch of Zen and loved them both, so i'm assuming it's a safe bet i'll like Dragon Inn, too)

A touch of zen for both

Master and Commander
The Deer Hunter
Cool Hand Luke
Zodiac
Ran
Amadeus
The Apartment
Lawrence of Arabia
Network
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze

The Hustler

Pulp Fiction
Fight Club
Blade Runner
The Big Lebowski
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Dark Knight
The Godfather
The Shawshank Redemption
2001: A Space Odyssey
Star Wars: A New Hope

threadly reminder Edward Yang is a meme

follow kagsmagnus right now.

why's a 7/10 movie getting so much praise?

it's better if you watch it with subtitles

>looks at director and cast

hmm i wonder why