/daily/ - Warm Mashed Potato

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Attached: duc.jpg (279x300, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/christian-oestreicher/musique-combinatoire/
youtu.be/Y9-MLgHxQGs
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/スター階段/京大西部講堂_1983_9_17_live/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sir-richard-bishop/salvador-kali/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/blind_lemon_jefferson/the_best_of_blind_lemon_jefferson/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/aine_odwyer/anything-bright-or-startling_/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/agretator/distorted_logic/
youtube.com/watch?v=b6K1je7Q7ck
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/pierre_laurent_aimard/vingt_regards/
instaud.io/1TOE
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/alex-g/trick-4/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't just want tittie monsters. I want LITERAL titties monsters. Big tits aren't enough to call someone a tittie monster. I need weird girls with variously shaped bodies and multiple rows of tits. I need more~

lol

Attached: IMG_20180311_195938.jpg (750x667, 78K)

What can I say? I love music! That's why I rate it.

Aight but nipple rows where the top two are breasts and then it's a row of teats is not bad at all. Good visual character design for both male and female characters, and a fun experiment in anthropomorphic design.

Finishing Kosinski’s The Painted Bird. Great read.

>Miles Davis - Big Fun (1974)

God bless Miles Davis. His lifestyle is endlessly fascinating—that his reality was more caricature than logistical. More importantly, that his whole being, vision, experience was seamlessly intermeshed with his work. There’s this Thelonius Monk quote about how everyone is a genius by being themselves, and I think Miles Davis personifies the radiation of the self.

I mention it not because I find Big Fun a particularly essential Miles recording but rather because it’s very unapologetically him: four side-long tracks that meander without purpose and oftentimes dwell on ugly, unpleasant themes, as in the first 15 minutes of the album. It should be noted that none of this is criticism—its all part and parcel of his music. There is no build ever—you either like what he’s decided to riff on and the atmosphere that accompanies it or you don’t. I sometimes do. Being mostly a collection of outtakes from 1969/1970, there’s some strong middle eastern flavor throughout, Sly Stone funk of course at other moments.
7/10

Attached: ABB3E37F-0D62-4AE9-8126-E372FE8D184C.jpg (1218x1216, 399K)

>Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun (1968)

People have a point when they say the Grateful Dead’s live material tends to render the studio output obsolete, but I think they gloss over the fact that this recording isn’t far off from their live material, and actually splices some live recordings in. Only five tracks, almost all of them pushing close to 10 minutes with a decent amount of improvisation. In my book, that’s a big improvement over their debut in representing themselves as a band. Multi-sectioned, fiery, lysergic as all hell. It’s easy to overlook just how psychedelic this album is in 1968 due to the halo effect of the band’s legacy. This period in Grateful Dead history is rightfully dubbed “Primal Dead.”
8/10

>Tully - Sea of Joy (1971)

A lot of elements at play here. Some progressive electronic and folk and jazz, psychedelic folk, New Age, some Hindustani influence. Surf music, it’s going to be called. Most notably, it seems to play out like a film soundtrack (which it is), which admittedly takes me out of it just a little bit. Campy is what it is—in the same vein as Hair or Jesus Christ Superstar. I would say only a handful of tracks are enjoyable enough on their own and not as background music.
6/10

>Dumbo Gets Mad - Quantum Leap (2013)

Pleasant, dreamy, retro, psychedelic, hip in the same way as Since I Left You. And then other parts are that obnoxious, abrasive, atonal, Neo-riot grrrl Sleigh Bells thing.
6/10

have you listened to hailu mergia's latest release? it's nice.
also whats that album to the left of sun city girls?

I just spotted that, bookmarked.
Jackson MacIntosh - My Dark Side
Pretty fun, one of my favs this year

this album is really good

Attached: vegan reich.jpg (280x284, 22K)

Yo you had this on a list but where the fucc do I find it
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/christian-oestreicher/musique-combinatoire/

It just occured to me the list has the shopping list tag nvm

Attached: IMG_4117.gif (130x153, 1008K)

qwopsplay

I guess Yachty is going into voice acting now that his music career is over

Attached: 1520867109478.jpg (594x503, 54K)

He has a nice voice

cow

when will you DIE

Attached: 1518413655156.gif (500x375, 249K)

listening to seven and a half hours of onkyo in one sitting right now

Attached: EE330300-5103-40DC-A272-ABE2033E957D-20502-00000C662A8AC559.jpg (631x425, 112K)

why tho?

Isn't that just called taking your headphones out

because i can

youtu.be/Y9-MLgHxQGs

coolio

haha look at him go!

sober to death is slowly becoming one of my favorite songs

holy whiskers you go sister
where did the bear meme come from too tho
which version

because OG version is indeed GOAT. Still haven't listened to the new version yet tho

Attached: 1520719847023.gif (200x200, 67K)

Yesss
Need to get around to this at some point

>ha no I don't listen to idm it's onkyo
>oh you like idm? do you listen to any eai? haha

???
Onkyo and IDM are completely different things
And onkyo and EAI have some overlap but are largely different genres

Attached: D0EA645A-7EE9-41C7-99FD-DCE216E438E9-20502-00000C8D93DCF17D.png (696x720, 239K)

two discs in, its very good so far

would make a great 3rd line

the starter genre for electroacoustic is ambient

mooOOOOO

moo?
fuk this was me

make him go faster like the other one? [p[lease

someone give me a japanoise recc pls

this count?
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/スター階段/京大西部講堂_1983_9_17_live/

jimtov

honored...

sure!
thanks!

i'm dead tired, but might go on a hike soon for the nature n birds. all that
lately i've been doing fahey's fare forward voyagers when i walk. really good atmosphere and emotionally dense.
do you guys have other music good for walks? preferably acoustic and instrumental? i really like the santa barbara oil slick live album too

pic unrelated--lookin to scoop up some recs

Attached: 4chan_chart_plsnobully.png (1874x1232, 1.73M)

i do my walking to the motifs every now and then

the motifs - cross paths
maybe i already recd it to u idk

woops didnt notice the instrumental part, sorry
idk then, walking in silence aint that bad hm

here's some recs

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sir-richard-bishop/salvador-kali/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/blind_lemon_jefferson/the_best_of_blind_lemon_jefferson/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/aine_odwyer/anything-bright-or-startling_/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/agretator/distorted_logic/

uhh also didn't notice instrumental. richard bishop and aine odwyer are instrumental

oof it's okay i'll take all recs the walkin tunes didn't really have to be instrumental either
thanks gang i'll write these down

Steffen Basho-Junghans is the ultimate nature walk primitivist. Supposedly that’s how he mostly does his playing.
In the Morning Twilight, Late Summer Morning, Is

is he different from the robbie basho guy? bashovia?

Yeah, different guy, different era. This guy is current

Hiroshi Yoshimura - Green
you won't regret it

Gloria Ann Taylor - Deep Inside You

youtube.com/watch?v=b6K1je7Q7ck

Attached: 1463567220260.gif (400x225, 1.96M)

yall like
uh
breastfeeding?

yall like
uh
listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before?

yes

no

yessir

still listening to Crass rn. been meaning to get into them since I saw Penis Envy on SDC's top three in one of the old daily charts, and I'm realizing now that I've indeed been missing out

I've also been charting the rest of my British anarcho-punk listening. I'm excited to get into Flux of Pink Indians and the Subhumans next

Attached: flux_of_pink_indians-the_fucking_cunts_treat_us_like_pricks.jpg (592x599, 215K)

no
no

Attached: 1514744752663.gif (202x268, 1.76M)

I'm listening to THIS right now because Jim's rec wasn't on YOUTUBE and I don't have access to my LAPTOP right now so I'm on a computer in my school's LIBRARY.
I just watched the movie JIGOKU and it was really good. Now I'm reading ARISTOTLE, and he's a fuckin DUMBO. Once This Album's Up, I'm gonna watch Made in U.S.A. by JEAN LUC-GODARD.

Attached: R-512085-1300797505.jpeg.jpg (600x600, 93K)

cow

William Ackerman - In Search of the Turtle's Navel
Ilyas Ahmed - Between Two Skies

moo

>Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures
tightest piano on this side of the universe. aaaa!

>Hisato Higuchi - Bara Bara na Bamen
ambient guitar strumming. not the most thrilling, but the soft as silk muttersinging gives it an edge over similar pedal worship releases. gets bonus points for having bara in the title twice and an amazing cover.

>Volapük - Polyglöt
despite this being performed on real instruments, it all sounds like midi. animusic vibes.

>Ceramic TL / Ipek Gorgun - Perfect Lung
sorry this didn't do much for me either. the appeal of artist like opn is how methodical everything feels, even when it meanders. applying that style to a free improv setting is interesting, but doesn't work well with me.

>Croatian Amor - The World
errything is floaty errything is sex hey hey hey

Attached: neo.jpg (2856x1450, 1.16M)

too bad you didn't like Perfect Lung, though I expected that score
croatian amor - the world also coming with the best cover art ever

thanks so much for all the music friends i will check it out
especially interested in some of the american primitive but all of it is probably good

Attached: 91gCSXvbYhL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 644K)

oh god absolutely
the repress cover is even better

Attached: R-9622753-1483794712-6409.jpeg.jpg (600x600, 33K)

bump

whoa hey whoa hi

Attached: 1519803533361.gif (446x270, 1.07M)

Good morning /daily/!

Chilling home again today, 1 week vacation yay.

Gonna listen to some memes.

Hi!

How's it been? Are there any remnants of sad sibde I panned Placebo - Meds? you just stopping by or...?
We got some newtrips since your break as well

I'm doing fine, still occasionally bursting out in tears by the thoughts of that pan. Have you accepted the perfectness of that album yet?

Great to hear there are newtrips and /daily/ is still going, I'll stay for a while I think, but not sure if I can contribute much, I don't listen to that much much new music currently :/

>Have you accepted the perfectness of that album yet?
I've bumped it up to a 3/10, but I cannot accept it still sadly
Have a consolatory recc
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/pierre_laurent_aimard/vingt_regards/

>but not sure if I can contribute much, I don't listen to that much much new music currently
shitposting can suffice

Attached: IMG_4156.jpg (300x300, 30K)

thanks! listening right away

oh hey sup, been a while. did that venue re-open?
>I don't listen to that much much new music currently
how come?

hey hey, how are you doing? still studying?

they managed to stay in a little longer and are now closing this year :(
>how come?
don't really have the urge to explore music much, I feel fine listening to the same stuff over and over again, with occassional new songs
also rarely listening to full albums these days, which doesn't make participation on here any easier

i might try a chart tho, if i can think of something good

>do you guys have other music good for walks? preferably acoustic and instrumental?
benn jordan - louisiana mourning

yee. i changed my degree again since last time i mentioned it. media science. it's ok so far
too bad. if there's something interesting @ hirsch or something i'd wanna come around again tho
didn't you make a chart just before you left..? big hmm......

sure, I'll keep my eyes open!
hmm, you might be correct...

Attached: transdrone.jpg (585x663, 332K)

mindless self indulgence is edgy as hell but also unironically fun as hell

alright, i'll give it a try

On a scale of 1-10 how big of a meme would it be if I made a custom mbira with just intonation

b-but the piano is the least free instrument!!!1!!
-fish

Glad you liked Dream Letter that much btw, another pig 5.0 becomes a nkc 3.5
good taste confirmed

Attached: piggo10.jpg (612x408, 42K)

It would be a meme but it would be really cool also

>never take notes
>never participate in class conversations
>shitpost in class and don't pay attention
>in class right now
>do the readings at 11pm the night before the quizzes
>top mark in the class

Art classes are such a joke lol.

instaud.io/1TOE
gummo lmao

>the appeal of artist like opn is how methodical everything feels,
Really? iirc from the Redbull interview, Lopatin is fond of aleatoric techniques in his music production

>Great to hear there are newtrips and /daily/ is still going
hardly

hi tho

Dog have you given Alex G a shot yet? If you haven't, I have a hunch you might like his album Trick. It's indie rock but it's got a bit of an avant-outsider streak, so I'd at least be interested to hear what you think
>On a scale of 1-10 how big of a meme would it be if I made a custom mbira with just intonation
Well LaMonte Young is going to kick the bucket any day now. So if you time it right and dedicate it to him just as he dies, you'd get so much cred
art classes or 'arts' classes? choose wisely, stemlord

Attached: 1520224213672.jpg (1024x960, 150K)

>Well LaMonte Young is going to kick the bucket any day now
:(
I hope I get to make it out to his sound installation in NYC before he dies

nice

Attached: 20180313_105825.png (506x116, 11K)

A Toronto record dealer came to campus today and I got Africa/Brass and John Hurt """"Greatest Hits"""" (actually a live album).
:)

I don't get the difference but it's an art history class on german architecture from 1815-1945 I'm taking as an elective.
Also good call, gonna release "The Well-Tuned Mbira" the day he dies.

Attached: peppa_pig.jpg (1024x1024, 72K)

Well it's just typical stemlord/business student attitude to only think of classes in terms of GPA instead of actually trying to learn as much as possible from the professor

And I get it, because some classes are just EZ grade bs, but I've learned the most from some classes in the arts college at my university

lol hurry

What's up nerds, don't forget to listen to a bit of Ye today

hey fuck you rudi

jk how's life, read any good books lately?

What should I listen to first from him?

Trick

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/alex-g/trick-4/

Fuck, right. My eyesight is shit, need to stop masturbating so much. Listening to it right now.

how does one begin to respond to something like this?

Attached: file.png (340x195, 3K)

not a terrible offer for such a terrible album id say gopher it

Yes please ;)

Also yes, just finished the left one and am deciding between the other two for my next read, you?

Attached: image.jpg (3264x2448, 1.28M)