Kraftwerk

Does there music still hold up today or has it become dated?

Attached: kraftwerk-die-menschmaschine1978-emi-1c-058-32-843.jpg (800x800, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JnJfY8qbqPg
youtube.com/watch?v=QVlBTO622Bw
youtube.com/watch?v=S4PuRxz8Clc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The U2 of Krautrock

What do you mean U2?

Like how people call U2 post-punk and they're way more popular than any post-punk band despite being pleb trash
Kraftwerk are the same but for Krautrock

ymo aged better than kraftwerk

kraftwerk only got popular after they stopped making krautrock stuff tho

It certainly has aged better than most of the stuff it inspired. It may as well have been released yesterday. I mean one of the most commercially successful bands of the current century got a hit by just singing over the backing track of a Kraftwerk song.

Well... Can you name me their krautrock albums?

Attached: 1520876066104.jpg (800x800, 394K)

absolutely true

Their first 2 dumbass, the stuff they are famous for is not Krautrock for two very simple reasons, the timeframe and the style

Some people would argue there is no general style for Krautrock (even though there is similar aspects in most of it), but in the very least there is a time period and that period is when Kraftwerk started (and it just so happens at that time their music actually sounded like all the other Krautrock)

Anybody who doesn't listen to Trans Europa Express at least a few times a year is an uncultured goon. Everything they released between the mid-70s and 1981 is stone cold classic.

Well, congrats, sucker, but actually there were 3. Well and don't forget about Organisation band. And now tell me, shithead, does anyone remember these albums???

Listened to it live.

What the fuck does it mean for music to sound dated? I hate this meme so much

Nobody's saying they are krautrock you contrarian moron. Their early stuff and Organisation were kraut, but not their successful albums.

I'd lump krautrock into 2 subcategories: the electronic, ambient, spacious music of bands like Tangerine Dream, Cluster, Harmonia, and early Kraftwerk, and the minimalist psychedelic rock of bands like Can, Faust, and Amon Duul. NEU! was the band that did the best job of bridging the gap between those two styles as half of their songs were ambient and half were rock.

Kraftwerk's last "kraut" album was Ralf und Florian. Everything from Autobahn on was purely pop music, albeit fantastic pop music that had more of an influence on the next decade of music then anyone with the possible exception of Bowie, who was a big Kraftwerk fan himself.

>I mean one of the most commercially successful bands of the current century got a hit by just singing over the backing track of a Kraftwerk song.
Which song?

Which band??

Coldplay

Found the song. Thanks.

holds up immensely, I see kraftwerk as more of an electro group than straight synthpop
all their albums are great, including their krautrock stuff

Imagine being such a pleb that you think art can age and becomes less enjoyable over time

>Haha these ancient greek statues are so DATED, I can't enjoy them!
>Haha these renowed works of poetry that bring many people to tears are so OLD I can't enjoy it lol!
>Haha Rembrandt's paintings are so dated they aren't even enjoyable to look at anymore lmao

>And now tell me, shithead, does anyone remember these albums???
What does that have to do with anything? Not the same poster.

>I mean one of the most commercially successful bands of the current century got a hit by just singing over the backing track of a Kraftwerk song.
whomst?

nice yellow cover I like it

I guess some of it is dated, but The Hall of Mirrors is just so... cold sounding.

Coldplay

Did you like the song?

Yeah

true ymo never really had a drop off in album quality, like their last studio album has some of my favorite songs on it:
youtube.com/watch?v=JnJfY8qbqPg

and I feel like ymo matured better as a band, picking up more jazz / classical influences (especially with ryuchi sakamoto)
I think you can really hear this in their recent live shows, like from 2012
youtube.com/watch?v=QVlBTO622Bw

i love kraftwerk to death but their live shows have been the same for the past decade pretty much. And they had a pretty considerable dropoff in quality before they stopped making music all together.

also, meme:

youtube.com/watch?v=S4PuRxz8Clc

I've always assumed that they were trying to look and sound retro-futuristic and ironic, back in the early '80s when I first heard them for the first time.

it does though. art that is over-reliant on contemporary trends decreases in quality when those trends change, same goes for art created with rapidly advancing technology. hence they become dated

solid state survivor dropped a year after the man machine and absolutely shits on all of kraftwerk's output

reductionist dumbass
something can be less enjoyable if the onlooker isn't grounded in the same culture/experience, which objectively happens over time. a showpiece can become a banality, something overly referential can become opaque or empty, etc.

computer world still holds up for me