This is a dishonest film for a dishonest, shitposting board who praise mediocre to bad performances

This is a dishonest film for a dishonest, shitposting board who praise mediocre to bad performances

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nbue2Pi2tNY
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I didn't like it either. If art imitates life, La La Land can't be called art. I already wrote up a big polemic about it in the other thread though.

This desu. This is art imitating art, leeching off the originality of previous great artists.

pfft I bet. "micromemetic minutia has consumed my small world & heralded a post-depression era in my life marked by apathy and an autismal obsession with psuedo-criticism heck yea cringe compilation here I come"

I don't get these memes

It is annoying how one is expected to always write an essay everytime to explain shit when anons get fiesty over buzzwords.

>tfw too intelligent to critique a flick

Oh look more retards parroting Korinefag

name one post-9/11 film that will be remembered 50 years from now

Art doesn't have to imitate life though.

Lord of the rings, harry potter...I mean you cant deny those.

I won't mention the star wars prequels but we all know they will be remembered one way or another

Dishonest critics

i hate that fat bastard but la la land is pretty dishonest

'haha dishonest' ahaha'd hadeh 'c-cause Sup Forums tell me movy dishonest' 'la la lant gna ruin the oscars like, soon! cause frickdumb internet meme propaganda fooled me wholesale' fuckin simpleton.

>average la la land fan

yea & the joke's always the same.
'typical movy fan. r-REDDIT!'. yawnfactor twenty-seven.

Harry Potter? LOTR sure, but who ever compliments HP movies for being anything but a good reminder of stuff they liked in the books? No one will look back on HP movies as anything more than a cynical cash grab. They'll be exhibit B for the downfall of movies, right after capeshit.

its like high end Hallmark

and you know im gonna hafta take my gf to this because she likes dancing and ryan

I went to watch la la land at my local theatre and when i came back my car wasnt there anymore
The movie isnt just dishonest its downright criminal

H'HAAAA funny post

Harry Potter will only be remembered for being one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. This pasta is so stale nobody will realize I'm gay. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Everybody except bitter losers here. They were extremely well done for blockbusters. Every singe one was different

>This pasta is so stale nobody will realize I'm gay.

>film
>honest

I don't think you understand.

It's a pasta but it's true.
ALso gtfo faggot

Shut the fuck up with "dishonest" this or "dishonest" that bullshit. Just repeat it to yourself in your autism room and allow us to discuss, analyze, and critique movies. Also if anybody says, "film is a visual medium" again I'm going to have a stroke.

Film is a visual medium

Yes, silent films. You fucking moron.

It was shit

dishonest post desu

Sup Forums is the worst board. Even Sup Forums, in its pure vacuum of anything worthwhile, is superior to this, which is truly the antithesis of value. I don't even know why I browse the board anymore.

Its for rare Mike Stoklasas

Honestly I really enjoyed it and no one is really saying anything thats an actual issue other than its "dishonest". please make an actual argument on why this film is bad and explain.

personally i thought the music was pretty good (im not a musician so i dont pretend to understand it on a technical level but i enjoyed its score and soundtrack) the main two characters were very well fleshed out through just the interactions and actual songs through out, no other characters were really well sorted out but arguably i think that was a good thing, the side characters you do get a glimpse at (Kieth, Couple that i dont remember the name of, Greg and Gregs friends, etc etc etc) serve a purpose showing possible futures for our main protagonists and the struggle they go through trying to accomplish their "dream" do they want to sell out their traditions to become a Kieth and be monetarily successful in a field they love, do they want to focus on their relationship that is being strained in their pursuit of "making it", or do they want to play it safe and get a real job giving up all hope on their dreams and ambitions. finally the ending is probably my favorite part, rather than the cliche bullshit i honestly wasn't expecting the out come that arouse at the end and actually felt emotionally invested in the characters relationship rather than feeling it being forced like most other movies. granted thats just the way i feel so feel free to disagree.

Sup Forums is worse than Sup Forums but La La Land, like Birdman and other oscarbait is devoid of anything good imo

why do you think its devoid of anything good? what makes something good in your opinion?

I really enjoyed it. Movies don't have to have a "message", especially if they're musicals.

I play piano in a jazz trio once or twice a month and thought Gosling did a great job faking the keys, too. Much better than Miles Teller on the drums in Whiplash. That was cringeworthy, despite the movie itself being great.

You're gonna hate me but something that actually speaks to you emotionally. Almost as if with purpose, something that makes you feel human.

something honest
I think the writing and therefore execution is bad. The premise is a nice idea but ends up lacking

art is consuming itself
there's nothing human about this movie, but rather a reflection of tropes based on tropes based on real human beings. it has no pulse

All films are visual. Without the cinematic dimension you might as well be reading a book or watching a play

based femma dropped out of the dishonesty in motion

i mean sure everyone has their opinions and i totally understand that, and i feel like La La Land specifically spoke to me since my whole analysis comes from that this movie is not so much as accomplishing dreams in hollywood, but more so the sacrifices and self destructive behavior you have to go through to make it in any form of art industry its an unknowing and unforgiving industry were people who make it are not always deserving of making it or even happy when they do, i practice art so i can understand that to some degree. each song not only sounds fairly decent but also tells you something about the story and the characters and at the end they aren't happy they are filled with regret and longing for the past when they were still together despite having been successful in the what they wanted to achieve. its not just so much as an advertisement to "follow your dreams" but a cautionary tale that you may not even be happy when you do. not only does it sorta romanticizes old school cinema/hollywood but it also bashes it poking fun at some of the cliches of it and some of the attitudes people have going into it. but fuck man maybe it is just a dishonest movie like everyone says it is that has nothing of value you tell me.

This is why we have glorified cameramen as "directors" who jerk themselves off doing 1 shots because "film is a visual medium" instead of spending more time hashing out a proper story.

Film is not just a visial medium. Last I checked it had music, and a story to tell.

>Damien "muh feelz" Chazzelle the post
Neck yoself

you can have movies without story or music but you can't have movie without moving images

nice constructive counter point, thank you for your input

You can have flicks, movies and film with motion pictures, but you cannot have kinos without story and music. Even silent films had music and sound. Otherwise turn on the powerpoint and insert your fucking slideshow you moron.

>I'm a fucking pleb and don't understand the importance of compositing or cinematography
What are you even doing here? The music and sound is secondary to the medium

>kino
oh, you're actually fucking retarded
should have known sooner

Read your post again. You're not even sure what happened. You just ask questions and have a bunch of "feelings" not real emotions.
Hence my reply
>muh feels
was 1000% accurate.

The reason you feel this way is guaranteed because Damien is a hack and he wrote it in a way to exploit your feelings in short "moments" or vignettes, instead of going through and telling a complete fucking story. This is the type of cancer of modern films. The fact that you are so unaware of it and activily praising it means that you are part of the pretentious schlock that is dishonest filmmaking. I mean that unironically.

>glorified cameramen
Like I said. Pretty pictures don't make good films. Look at Nocturnal Animals or Neon Demon.
Pls go to film school instead of going to films.
Kino is just a german word of Cinéma.
>being this easily triggered
>oh no be said a meme I can't handle the truth

> Pretty pictures don't make good films
They do, alongside acting talent of course. Shit pictures make shit films just like they make shit pictures, top yourself

>Pretty pictures
>what is montage, mise en scene, visual storytelling, visual puns, and so on and so on
you're a memester lacking any understanding of the medium. movies are visual, you're retarded

frozen

>"feelings" not real emotions.
There is nani to be sore

Nope. You can have an ugly film and if it has a good story it'll still be good. But you can't have a well-shot film with a shit story and still have it be a good film.
Movies are visual but not solely visual. Do you watch them on mute? What is dialogue then? Is that visual as well? You can certain make a feature length totally silent film with no sound, but it wouldn't a good film. It would just be an experimental film.

Jeez you guys are stubborn with your reddittier film education.

Name one film that looks like absolute shit by the standards of its time that is artistically good

Anons here generally don't like good films so they lile arthouse fedora crao without any story. Plot doesn't matter but story does matter a hell of a lot and its how you originally tell it on screen obviously that matters

>You can certain make a feature length totally silent film with no sound, but it wouldn't a good film
spoken like a true embryo
watch more movies

miles teller actually played the drums in whiplash you mong

>dishonest film
???

i was in the mood for a musical and tried watching this shit and i was completely fuckin repelled. not that im completely opposed to musicals - the wizard of oz is literally my favorite film of all time. i suppose there was just nothing unique or charming about it, seems to mostly exist to pay homage to older musicals like singing in the rain that i have zero affinity for and i really just didn't like the music. probably doesn't help i'm a forlorn virgin and can't relate to being in love.

are there any other musicals Sup Forums would recommend? how's les miserables or sweeney todd?

Les Mis is alright, a lot of people shit on Rusty's singing and they dropped a few songs but it's pretty good for what it is

Off the top of my head: Born on the Fourth of July. And other Oliver Stone pictures. They are not dogshit but nothing special about the cinematography. The shots serve the story, not the other way around like modern flicks.

You're half right. Plot is more important than story. The word story is meaningless. Unless you mean craft of storytelling, then that's important to constructing the plot. "Story" as a loose as term is what got us here in the first place. "Lalaland is about young love? Regret? Loss? Ambition?" Etc. Eventually all writing gets muddled in layers and layers of "story" which are actually just extended themes. Plot is what is actually solid. Like Emma meets Goose at a party and they go on a date, they sing in the rain, they break up, etc. THAT is real story (plot) and it doesn't get buried in an infinite pile of analysis paralysis dogshit. Aristotle was right 2300 years ago. He knew his shit.

Rec some feature length movies that are completely silent, no music, no sound design. Thx bb film connoisseur.

>They are not dogshit
>The shots serve the story
Then it doesn't look like shit and your argument holds no water

So define dog shit nigger. Like unwatchable and unintelligible (someone pissed on the filmstock)? Or just not perfectly framed, lighted, colored and edited but gets the story across?
Jesus
>being this dense
Congratulations you don't have autism, turns our you're just a dumb fuck

A film with no idea how to composite shots to tell a coherent story, fucking hundreds of films like that

>dishonest
that meme is stupid even for Sup Forums standards

youtube.com/watch?v=Nbue2Pi2tNY
yep

>Just an excuse for drama
>Forced drama
has the meme returned?