What happened to South Park?

First 5 seasons are seriously top tier quality, way ahead of his time and specially with a really good world design. After that it goes to shit like no other tv show before, even worst than the Simpsons.

Since it was a long time ago and I watched it recently, does anyone know what happened back then that made that drastic change?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tG4dOOiGV7U
youtube.com/watch?v=Jo4XXm8OUP4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They turned into cucks I guess
Let their success go their heads
started phoning it in, maybe ran out of jokes

>hating on season 6, 7 and 8
>toilet paper
>casa bonita
>stupid spoiled whore video playset
>aspen
it went downhill after that, with the focus on ripping on celebrities/scientology.

It's really not that bad

Besides Casa bonita is all pretty shitty. After Kenny Dies it goes downhill.

Is worse.

Isaac Hayes died, Matt and Tray slowly but steadily went up their own asses as the seasons went own, reaching maximum up-ass levels at season 20. Something good appears every now and then but it's rare.

6-9 were just as good as 1-5, the rest is dogshit.

Too little satire, too much observational humor tbqh. They got lazy.

The first 3 seasons are dogshit "LOL SO RANDUMB"

4-8 are the good seasons

If youre gonna whine about a show at least know the basics, dipshit

>poo poo pee pee
>oh my god they killed kenny!

HAHAHAHA ROFL SO FUNNY

fuck off faggot. this show was never good.

For me the limit is on Kenny dies as I said. Butters is a sympthom of that decline. Besides being a good character, is overused.

1-5 The stories of a town throw four kids (Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny). Creates a consistent and solid world with their parents, teachers, neighbours and classmates.
6-20: The stories of three kids (Cartman and Butter vs Kyle) and Stan's dad overreacting to normal things.

It sucks terrible show 0/10 CRAP, but I'll keep watching every single episode the moment it comes out!

Have you even season the series past the season where Kenny dies permanently? Most the best episodes of the show come after that.

>that drastic change?

They went 100% "current events + we are triggered" with their ideas.

They kinda adopted a very simple formula, The Simpsons has been doing it for many seasons too.

Yes, I did. Some good episodes between a lot of crap.

I know, just wanted to know if there was any reason for it.

Well for me and some other people I've spoken to, what killed the show was the season long storylines. I think it was 3 or 4 seasons back they started this new format? Anyway, the show works best when they use an episodic format and the show revolves around one crazy situation.

Burnout. It's hard for 2 people to make a consistently good tv show for 20 years.

And nothing in seasons 1-5 was crap?

This is so retarded it has to be bait

Of course there was crap idiot, but it totally changes how the show works.

There's crap and there's crap user, the original seasons had crap too.
but classic Southpark crap was like.. Chef finding out that Jimbo was conjuring up zombies because he.. wanted to.. test out his guns.
and people would be like "neh, just wasn't very funny"
current Southpark crap is like "what if.. Jimbo turns out to hate TRANSGENDERS and then.. Kyle's mom is like.. triggered by that because.. she's actually a tranny herself.. and then.. Mr Garrison like.. TWEETS about how.. he doesn't like mexican trannies"

Shudder..

Same tbqh. I have to see how this literal shit show ends.

>First 5 seasons are seriously top tier quality,
seasons 1-3 are pure shit.

Went on for too long and they ran out of ideas so they decided to go all political.

I seriously fucking hate how they've moved to doing an over-arching story through the season.

Its just... dumb.

And I REALLY hate how every episode is political commentary now. Some of their best episodes weren't focused on politics.

I'm doing a full rewatch because I have missed a lot of episodes in these 20 years.

Yesterday I watched the Towelie and Oprah's vagina episode.. just.. wtf...

Yeah that one didn't make sense, I guess Trey & Matt felt the same because after that they completely changed the course of the show by going nonstop current events/politics

After the first 10 years the show starts to go downhill, you can't really expect something to remain the same quality forever. But the early seasons were just overly immature, they had to evolve beyond that at some point.

there's a point between recent southpark, which everyone agrees is garbage, and the first few seasons, which everyone agrees is at least good, where the best episodes are

imo it peaks at season 13 and then begins a steady decline, but i can understand people disliking the pop culture/recent movie references and seeing the peak as having been earlier

i love medicinal fried chicken, the tale of scrotie mcboogerballs, cartoon wars, imaginationland

there's always been duds in the seasons too

Season rankings:
1. 7/8/11
2. 3/4/5/6/9/10
3. 1/2
4. 12/13/I stopped watching

....cont:
I should say that after many, many viewings of South Park, I started to really enjoy seasons 1 and 2. The Gnomes episode in particular stands out as brilliant to me. Amongst the all-time best. It's absurd, it has a clear partisan message, it's funny, it's got the innocent boyish interactions between the characters; and it's a well-rounded, intertwining story that feels so well-packaged. There is no room for improvement. It is a great prototype of what SP would go on to perfect, in my opinion, in season 7 and 8.
Oh, and it coined a Sup Forums meme (??? Profit)

I miss when Southpark was like that, sure the whole Satan & Saddam was cringy as fuck but in general it was comfy.
Now everybody is just bitching and yelling about shit.

The season with the Warcraft episode was the last good season, in my opinion. Make Love Not Warcraft was kino in its own right.

god that pic

I'm glad the 2nd Southpark game is going to be about super heroes, I would have been so pissed if it was all Trump & SJWs.

Guess they're saving that for the third one.

the member berries ruined it all right now

I really like how they're made, how characters work and how the world is shown. It's a really really good construction. If you find it more or less funny is subjective.

So it doesn't bother you that they're putting these established characters and their working world into cringy easily forgettable scenarios?

5 isn't even as good as 4, you're more generous than I am OP.

>baneposters irl.jpg

They were obviously very pissed off about Mohammed being censored, and decided to make something bizarre and not funny

Lol

it's the nostalgia talking you fucking faggots, first five season were horrible, literally trying to be too edgy.

After that I've loved pretty much every season, last two are definitely garbage because they went too far with the making fun of SJW bullshit. Director PC was kinda funny the first couple of episodes tho

>Liking the coon
Who invited captain shit-taste in this thread?

the difference is the early seasons relied on original storytelling and the later seasons rely on current events

Damn I almost completely forgot this past season even happened just a month ago. It was so bad. I subconsciously repressed it.

>After that it goes to shit like no other tv show before, even worst than the Simpsons.
just fishing for replies i see, well i'm feeling generous so have another one

isaac hayes didn't technically die on south park! remember that he joined scientology or something, and after south park did their scientology episode he got buttmad and left the show...

...so then trey and matt did that episode where chef joined some super-adventure-club [a stand-in for scientology] and it scrambled his brain and whatnot [they ended up just recycling old clips of chef dialogue for that episode] and in the end chef died... but was resurrected as darth chef at the very end?

yeah that happened. i know isaac hayes died a few years later, but he technically left southpark b4 he died cuz you know, making fun of everything but scientology? a-OK. making fun of scientology? SPs in the house!

you try writing 20 seasons of tv by yourself. it's amazing that trey even had that much content in him, alongside 2 huge videogame scripts, 3 movies and an award winning play. south park isn't very funny anymore but I have a lot of respect for trey parker

>LOL SO RANDUMB
nah your taste is pretty shit m8. bigger longer uncut is fucking kino and was the peak for south park. how old are you? 18?

the only decent episode in that season is pinewood derby and it's a 6.5/10.

South Park peaked from seasons 2-7 and every season after that is spotty at best

>the least edgy episodes
>trying to be too edgy
what? the first seasons were pg as fuck. I mean it was a big deal when they finally got to say fuck in thr movie and the gore was still very cartooney and silly

>First 5 seasons are seriously top tier quality
Why just the first 5 seasons? It seems you picked that number completely at random. I think the quality kept up during most of the show, until the last two seasons, especially when they tried to keep continuity through the season. First season kind of sucked shit, also.

I miss how quotable the show was. the first 4 seasons or so produced a shit load of pop culture.

What is this, a retard's haiku?

the show definitely switched gears after the movie

I guess I'm a pleb, but I still like it. It's not like zombie Simpsons with big guest stars thrown in to plug something like a late night talk show. It's gets a little preachy some times, but usually not offensively so. At least they can still make fun of blacks, trans shit, jews, and crippled people.

I gonna kill myself, not today not tomorrow but soon, pretty soon

>first five seasons
Seasons 4-10 are literally the Golden Age.

first seasons great just for how groundbreaking it was at the time, it set the world on fire. politicians and soccer mom's couldn't stop decrying it and the effect it would have on the children, and for young people it was an immediate sensation

When asked what their worst episode was, Matt Stone and Trey Parker responded with "the entire first three seasons." And the movie isn't an episode, it's essentially a musical (which may very well be argued to be their strongest suit, as shown by The Book of Mormon).

literally every classic episode is in the first 4 seasons user

Why are people pretending that seasons 1-3 of south park aren't dogshit that is just as bad as the newer seasons?

>b-but I like the shit animation!
>I like all the random celebrity appearances I pretend don't exist and are only a thing of future seasons!
>muh kids doing kid things!

So why include two years of south park if the show 'switched gears' after the movie

>I liked it because it was edgy

lmao?
just lmao

Can't believe I watched the last 4 seasons. I don't think there's been a single good episode...even The Simpsons has the occasional good episode.

matt and trey think the show matured with the social commentary. they don't realize what made it popular and charming in the first place was it's unique humor which was derived solely from the characters/absurdity of situations.

>I liked it because it was edgy
nothing in the posts you replied to suggested anything close to that. are you schizophrenic?

These are the same people who made the last 10 years of South Park complete garbage, of course their taste in their own show is shit.

Upvoted!

It's explained during the thread. Before Kenny Dies it's the story of South Park and it's people, after it is Cartman vs Kenny morality plus Stan's dad.

I see you're familiar with the terminology from that website, perhaps you'd like to stay there in the future.

>it set the world on fire. politicians and soccer mom's couldn't stop decrying it and the effect it would have on the children
>I liked it because it made moms upset and I wasn't supposed to be watching it
lmao dude just stop posting. You liked the show in the early years because it was edgy and when the movie came out and it gained popular attention, you stopped liking it and now claim it's all "shit" after the movie

you can't hid your inner contrarian around here kiddo.

I agree op, but very few people will say the same

The old seasons were the only legit comedy

Yeah, nothing outrageous happens during those seasons, no alien abductions, Barbra Streissand monster rampaging, all normal shit.
The only thing more pathetic than a nostalgiafaggot is a nostalgiafaggot who doesn't remember the fucking show they're nostalgiaing about.

What website?

I watched the show for first time a month ago you idiot. There's no nostalgia. And I didn't say it was normal shit, don't know where you read that.

You're describing a show about South Park and its people, when it very clearly wasn't. You're probably thinking about King of the Hill.

Retarded logic. I said also the second part is about Cartman and Kyle, I guess there's no Chtulhu there neither.

Fine, as long as we agree that your argument is retarded.

ARE WE IN PARIS, MINGIE??

I guess you struggle finding the differences betwen the plot and the characters and the world. Those are three completely different things and wikipedia can help you.

Those are part of the plot, poindexter. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Shut up already m8. You didn't hit one and you're still trying to argue.

That ziplining epidose was pretty good

I used to dislike the first 3 seasons but interestingly those have become my go-to epidoses when I crave some South Park in the past few years. Something about the crudeness of both the animation and the jokes makes those seasons very comfy for me. I guess I'm charmed by their simplicity. Also I only now understand how groundbreaking early South Park was for the popular culture of the times

Anyway

Seasons 1-3 raw but really entertaining
Seasons 4-9 (or something) best of South Park
Seasons 10-14 declined a bit but still pretty funny, consistent quality
Seasons 15-19 this is when show becomes hit or miss, some great episodes sprinkled among mediocre ones
Season 20 pure fucking shit

Up until like season 10 was still pretty good.
1-3 is pure kino
4-8 is prime southpark
9-10 still good, not yet in full decline
11+ I don't know why I'm watching this tier

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i.e.: scuttlebutt, that being said, the reason the show has REMAINED popular is the fact (I think) that it combines said absurdity with highly topical subject matter. Contemporaneous criticism enabled it to stay afloat, and even airborne (to extend the metaphor) at times. This is why the Simpsons, for example, met with a much more pronounced plummet in quality—they're basic schemata couldn't keep up with the ever-changing culture in which it was nested. In short, to say that South Park is a good show because of its mere sense of absurdist humor is, well, absurd—social commentary has played an equal, if not greater, role in its continued success

See, you say the last 10 years have been 'complete garbage', and I simply disagree. Change isn't inherently bad. Also: you've been watching a show you think is shit for 10 consecutive years? That's pretty stupid

They might have been bad in some ways but at least they were actually funny and not horribly predictable. South Park is basically just an animated news satire show now.

Don't forget to bring a towel.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If you don't think new SP is predictable as fuck, you're delusional.

Didn't say that, special friend

What is the best episode? Mine is probably crème fraiche.

I still like some episodes past the cheff years(the one where satan has a birtyday party, the election episode, some of season 18,19) but I really did like the earlier episodes the best.

I liked em the best because the 4 boys still felt like kids running into some wierd shit in a redneck mountain town, now a days cartman is just there to shock everyone and stan seems to be the "logical" one and I dont know how to describe kyle and kenny.

Either way the older episodes are better.

Also best intro was season 1-3
youtube.com/watch?v=tG4dOOiGV7U

The movie was great as well and had some nice songs
youtube.com/watch?v=Jo4XXm8OUP4

Just realized that movie was released during season 3. Heh.

They have to balance being an appealing show to both liberal fuckfaces and the current alt-right.

I stopped watching after the coon comic shit

>Change isn't inherently bad.
No one argued that it is. The argument was the SP changed for the worse.

>less plots per episode
>less jokes
>dull pace
>social commentary is too on the nose

Yes but my point is that the change that occurred is not necessarily bad, which is how I think many people characterized it: bad because it was simply not what theyre used to. I could be wrong. Anyway, I think up until about 3 years ago it was in fact change for the good. Now that's my opinion, and is open to much deliberation.

I agree i liked the whole hearted Trey parker plots and could swallow a couple current events but nigga you cant say it just stopped being funny after sea. 5 i mean "good times with weapons " is at least in my top ten. and what season was that ? It has its peaks and valleys unlike shows that actually go to shit after 7 seasons. cough* ASIP.

When i fisrt started watching SP i didnt even like it , maybe because i didnt understand the jokes at the time but thought it was edgy beavis and butthead type shit, kids cursin and what have you, i actually had to make my self like it at first. Really the faces and reactions were more humorus to me than the jokes back then. I dont know if i learned an apreciation for it or it was shoved down my throat by my peers, ijdk .

>first 5 seasons

Seasons 6-8 and parts of 9 are literally the golden age of South Park. You have moderately shit taste. Post season 9 is pretty much entirely garbage though.

I actually thought it was alright until about Season 15, though it was getting progressively worse since season 9. After 15 though it gets pretty unwatchable for me. I still can't believe I endured Season 20.

1-2 Meh
3-9 Top thier
10 Still great
11 Great episodes and meh episodes
12 Meh episodes
13-18 Some great episodes
19 Great season
20 Shit season

season 4 by far