/swg/ + /fmg/ = Film Production General

So, what actually was the best movie of 2016?

>Useful Resources: Filmmaking
filmmakeriq.com/
learnaboutfilm.com/
filmmakingessays.tumblr.com/
youtube.com/user/curtisjudd
linchpinseo.com/color-guide-designers
youtube.com/user/RJFilmSchool
youtube.com/user/DSLRguide/videos
archive.org/details/filmtechniqueact00pudo
cinema5d.com/film-color-schemes-cinematic-color-design/
docs.google.com/document/d/1Gh-fomKSuIEZ-GJo2tere4YMjsDvmmsuyiJKzQ-1ZRk/

>Useful Resources: Screenwriting
imsdb.com/
screenwriting.info/
mysterymanonfilm.blogspot.com.au/
johnaugust.com/qanda/words-on-the-page
litreactor.com/columns/writing-powerful-descriptions
cdn.writershelpingwriters.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Active-Verbs-List.pdf

>Free Screenwriting Software
fountain.io/faq
story.adobe.com/
storywriter.amazon.com/
trelby.org/
writerduet.com/
celtx.com/

>Active Contests & Other Links
screencraft.org/screenwriting-contests/
withoutabox.com/
tblaunchpad.com/
filmfreeway.com/

why post this

*in boyhood kid voice* its funny

i'm a depresso fuckwad and my dreams are dead but i'm bumping your thread in honor of the dreams of others.

It's not relevant.

What were your dreams? Film related?

Opinions on romantic comedies/dramas?

>tfw too unintelligent to write a comedy
I am physically incapable of being funny.

What movies do you guys think are bottom of the barrel when it comes to script quality/effort? I think it's gotta be either horror or comedies for me.

Horror definitely.

mentally*
Anyone can be physically hilarious.

Good comedy takes a lot of effort.

That's a really shitty mindscape. There can be great horror, comedy scripts. If you're learning as a filmmaker then it's fucking stupid to reject a whole genre and not try and figure out why they like it.

I'm in a class were we have to make a 5 minute film that's silent, with no narration, or on screen text.

Should be a fun challenge.

what's your idea?

So there's all this expensive ass camera equipment on campus you can check out for projects and shit. The film will be about a guy who gets his stuff stolen and tracks down the thief throughout the city.

I'm writing something in which I have 3 protagonists, who all get pretty equal amount of focus.

What are some films that manage to pull this off?

is it a comedy?

I'm not quite sure what the tone will be.

I'd say A New Hope, but I feel like Leia doesn't get enough focus in that movie.

Only two genres m8. Tragedy or comedy. Sad ending former vs happy ending latter.

Tragedy > comedy.

well, good luck then.

I'm not OP but you're right, but that doesn't stop me from viewing comedy at a lesser genre than drama or a thriller.

I'll give it a rewatch. Basically it's three high school kids who are friends and running a business together.

I'm reworking the outline but can't help but think that the arranging of the scenes doesn't work right.

big jay's day out guy here. in post for a new short film.

currently developing 30 minute short film with local company. getting paid a rate of 125 a day for that shoot. not bad.

>but that doesn't stop me from viewing comedy at a lesser genre than drama or a thriller.
what makes you think that way though? Have you not seen any good comedies?
The Lobster, Arsenic & Old Lace, The Nice Guys, Harold & Maude.
Brazil is most likely considered a drama, but it's very funny.

What's their business?

How do you all feel about the rules of thirds?

not as good as the quadrant system :&)

What the fuck is the quadrant system?

Who /Brighton/ here

>tfw have the whole thing in your head but can't write it

who cares, we're all gonna die with no afterlife and the sun will burn everything anyways.

I wouldn't call The Lobster a comedy. I have seen good comedies, hell even great ones. But that doesn't make me take the genre seriously. I will always see a drama as taking more skill and commanding more respect than a comedy. Maybe it's because so many comedies are lowbrow "DUDE WEED" bullshit. I don't know.

>I wouldn't call The Lobster a comedy.

>tfw have been working on a few projects (a feature and two shorts) for almost three years now but constantly get discouraged and always end up putting them on hold over and over again

Short of quitting my day job, I don't know how to get the motivation to actually finish the things i'm working on. Even when i'm making great progress I always get the feeling that whatever I end up doing is going to be a wasted effort no matter what.

How do you guys pull through and stay strong?

Do you not enjoy Filmmaking at all? Is it not fun or rewarding ?

lol this is good

Don't get me wrong, it is enjoyable, and that's why I do it. But when you put so much time and money into a project a little voice comes along that tells you"it is all for naught" and you kind of start doubting yourself. I am at point where i've already done a lot of shitty "shorts" for school, and want to make something of value.

bump

bump

How many screenplays have ya read?

At least 200. Screenplays are really easy to read, if they are well written. You can finish most in a couple of hours.

>reading screenplays
>not literature
JUST

Requiem for a Dream

Show some clips and get feed back. If people like it, it'll motivate you to finish it to show the public the full piece rather than just a clip. That's what works for me at least.

bump I guess goodnight children

why do most scripts suck?

seriously. even the shit that gets made is mediocre. not saying i could do any better, but it seems like nobody else is either.

>want to make movie so people will like and respect me
>want to also do it to win my waifus heart
>realize how much of a loser i am and my dream will never come true because i am my own worst enemy

Refer to my post here OG screenwriters learned from real literature. Modern screenwriters learned from hacky screenplays. You end up with a montage of homages like Tarankino.

The dishonest filmmaking copypasta is 100% accurate.

whats the pasta?

I interned on a few tier 1 indies last year. Waiting patiently for them to release.

Dishonest Filmmaking: (Damien Chazzele, Tarantino, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Wes Anderson, Christopher Nolan, Alex Garland, Paul Thomas Anderson, Nicholas Refn, Tom Hooper, Tyler Perry, Rian Johnson, Alfonso Cuaron, Noah Baumbach, Andrea Arnold, David Yates, Denis Vilenueve, James Franco, Steve McQueen) are intellectually bankrupt moral whores and charlatans; their films appeal to the modern phenomenon of the 'Pretend Epic' or Pseudo Cinema, often tied to the criticism that "It was a movie that thought it was a film" they have no ideas of their own and are filmed purely to have fancy essays made about them. They obfuscate their lack of insight under a smug impenetrable irony and often contain scenes with disingenuous attempts at depth with characters spouting platitudes that the director takes VERY seriously
This directly panders to the IMDb reddit sensibility of quote circlejerking since these hacks are masters of the fools wit, "Quipping" (Not to be confused with the marvel co-opting of the word) , it sounds smart, cool and worldly but in reality there's nothing of substance, the Revenant's attempt at spiritualism was cheap and laughable and whilst someone like Malick has considered his philosophy, Inaurritu wears his introspection on his sleeve to give his film a false sense of depth with pathetic sermonizing

THIS is Dishonest Filmmaking

They leech the greater works that preceded them; like The Enemy being a rip off Eraserhead, but they have nothing else to say
They act under the guise of deconstruction with surface layer obvious 'social commentary' and a quirky forgettable score praised as 'innovative'. They are all inauthentic sycophants that rely on oscar buzz and post 9/11 detachment for relevance.

These directors are hacks and will be forgotten to time

Some notably earnest filmmakers include, but are not limited to:
>Mike Leigh
>The Coen Brothers
>Werner Herzog
>James Cameron
>Mel Gibson
>Terrence Malick
>Gaspar Noe
>Clint Eastwood

oohhh isn't this from that picture like a week back?

you guys have some legit autism and i love it

i feel bad that i think this is 100% true.

why is franco even there?

the drug dealer from pineapple express?

what the fuck? he directs movies?

what the fuck people consider him a sex symbol??

I'm just starting getting into writing a, get this, bridge between the DC Universe (DCEU?) and the Marvel Universe (FOX and Sony but not MCU), and takes place inside The Matrix, plus a tiny bit of inspiration from Sonic, Avatar, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Oceans 11, and some others in there too.

The actual idea came out of an independently produced comic series (and company) written in a small German studio apartment in 2010 and has evolved into the monster it's become ever since. The original 3 comics were a Batman trilogy, with the third one "Batman: Black Mask" where the character of Black Mask evolves into someone named Dr. Kill.

Most major characters are made up (OC) but are fairly fleshed-out and (mostly) original.

The main, titular, character is an old billionaire named Dr. Kill (originally Black Mask) who is actually based on Mr. Burns from The Simpsons (he even has an assistant named Smithies (not Smithers)). He employs assassins to do his bidding, mostly just heists to steal the things he needs to complete his experiments even though he is a billionaire, but some of that stuff is inherently illegal.

Another major character is Deadpool, who works for Dr. Kill. He is much more serious than the comics versions and is an adversary of Batman somehow. Also, he turns out to be Neo (from The Matrix).

This screenplay is based in part on the third Batman comic and has Batman face up against Deadpool, who opens a portal to another dimension that bridges the DC and Marvel Universe. Shit goes to hell by this point and opens up a chance for a whole film franchise.

One running gag is that New York is always getting completely demolished (even more intense than in the movies because it parodies the movies) and is always rebuilt in the next issue, to the point where it actually shows the construction workers rebuilding the city in later issues.

The comics themselves are rare because they're German, independent, and the original sources are not public domain.

So has anyone actually been on a production of literally anything more professional than a student film?

I have an idea for a film but it involves an unsolved murder and I'm afraid the government might kill me if I go through with it.