What are some good movies about moral dilemmas?

What are some good movies about moral dilemmas?

Other urls found in this thread:

mathwarehouse.com/monty-hall-simulation-online/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i fucking hate this logic puzzle, its never made ay sense to me

chances go from .33 to .5

you mean 100% to 50%.

sophie's choice

Not switching is more morally sound. The scenario provides no alternative to initially picking a track, so whatever you pick first isn't your responsibility. After one door is opened, if you consciously try to aim the train at a door that has one person in it, you're immorally trying to butcher a person against their will to reverse other peoples' fortunes.

One door has a prize behind it, the others nothing.

Would you rather choose from a set of 100 doors -or- 3 doors?

Less doors means higher the chances to get the prize.

The door you picked from the 100 set is 99% the wrong door. So when your choices are limited to 2 doors plus your original pick, of course you should pick again.

but your odds of success remain the same. whether you from a 1% chance of failure to 50%, or 33% to 50% its still the same. But apparently its not, which is why I hate this puzzle

but the best moral thing to do is to not touch anything

it's not different though, if they take away one of the doors without opening it and ask you whether or not to switch your odds are still the exact same. that's what they're already doing, showing you that it's a 'wrong' door doesn't matter, there's always at least one wrong door when you have to choose one of the three.

it's dumb statistician wank material, and 9705 is only correct if you're interested in some kind of self-justification of the moral aspect afterwards. choosing a door at random initially with no choice as to who dies is entirely out of your hands, switching your choice to another door with, again, no choice as to who dies is still out of your hands.

the correct answer to this puzzle is to put a penny on the tracks and derail the trolly before it runs anyone over, then knock-out and citizen's-arrest the person that was trying to force you to commit manslaughter under duress.

The key to understanding why Monty's reveal changes the odds is that Monty's reveal is not a random choice on his part. He will never accidentally reveal the prize. Thus, he is giving you information about the remaining two doors which informs your decision to switch or not.

Am I being detained

Pretty good answer. Plus, it appeals to my anxiety and desire to not touch the controls in any of these problems out of a fear of doing the wrong thing and being judged for it.

Inaction when you could save a life isn't murder, but it's not moral either.

It's OK as long as you touch first then ask age later

Monty Python is so fucking easy
Always switch
Always. Fucking. Switch.
The chance that you chose correctly the first time out of 3 is 1 in 3.
By switching you increase your chances. to be 1 in 2.
If you are a retard who says "hurr durrrrr it's the same chance whether you switch or not durr i'm fucking retarded rape my face"
Imagine the problem but with increased options. 1 out of 100 doors is correct.
98 are opened to be the thing you don't want.
Do you think you got it correct the first time, out of 100? Or do you think chances are you're better off switching because you know for sure it has to be one of the two remaining doors, and one door is a 1/100 chance. Switch.

That is a matter of quite significant debate, user.

At the time of the second decision, there are two possibilities:
>the door that you picked is the single correct one
>the door that you picked is the single remaining incorrect one
Regardless of which door you started with, at the time of the second decision, if you decide to switch, you're picking between one wrong door and one right door, thus your odds of picking the right one are 50%.

Couldn't you just change the track part way though and derail the train?

>Train derails
>Goes sideways and hits both groups of 5 people

Yes, user, give into the blood lust.

You just made me smarter, user.

I wonder if wording it like this might make more sense to some people: "You were likely wrong on your first pick."

>1) the door that you picked is the single correct one
>2) the door that you picked is the single remaining incorrect one
This is correct, but those odds are not equal. 1) is a 33.3% chance, 2) is a 66.6% chance. I don't know why you posted this reasoning correctly but still said it's a 50/50 choice.

They aren't equal probabilities though.

Imagine you could select from 1000 doors. You pick door #1. You chance of getting it right is 1/1000. 998 known incorrect doors are removed. Now you're left with door #1 and some other door (say #544). The probability of door #1 remains unchanged. The rest is now lumped into door #544 (999/1000).

It took me years to understand it too until it was explained to me like that.
With 3 doors it seems obvious, but when you increase the odds enough it makes perfect sense.

hmm

You're bizarrely coupling the probability of picking the right door on the first decision with the probability of picking it on the second decision. The odds on the first choice don't matter, because the second choice (if you choose to make it) is between one wrong door and one right door.

Always switch. Man Lab tested this, look it up.

>multi-track drifting

>By switching you increase your chances. to be 1 in 2.
its increased to 2/3 retard. 3/3 - 1/3 = 2/3

Anything by Kieslowski

Stop caring, walk away.

Only way to win the game is to not play it.

Alternatively say SHAZAM! and lif tthe fucking trolley

think of it this way, if you're choosing from 3 doors where only one has a prize, you have a 66% chance of choosing the wrong door

Switching after the reveal isn't foolproof, but it is the logical conclusion from knowing that you were more likely to choose poorly the first time.

>ancap society
>train tracks

>the one that you picked is wrong
>should you switch
Are people literally this retard? There is LITERALLY nothing to lose

>Use the great wealth a true capitalist society has provided you with to buy the land
>Shoot the trolley for tresspassing

Make a verbal contract with the 5 people tied down that they will become my slaves after I save them.
Order 4 of my slaves to derail the trolley before they can kill my new slaves.
Lose 4 slaves but get another 5 in the process

the free market will stop the trolley and save the people.

It can be hard to wrap your head around since it's so counter-intuitive, but think about it this way:

There are three doors: A, B, and C. C has the prize behind it but you pick B. Since you don't know which door has the prize behind it, 2 out of 3 times you'll be wrong. The host opens door A since it doesn't have the prize behind it.

You are always more likely to choose the wrong door with your first pick, which means that more often than not, the door that remains is the one that has the prize behind it. You should always switch.

This.

>You are always more likely to choose the wrong door with your first pick
Ooooh. Not that guy, but this really helped me, this makes sense.

Of course it's unintuitive because you naturally think in the wrong direction.
>Door stays the same
>Therefore odds are the same

But rather it's
>Door is actually most likely wrong in the first place because it's a blind guess
>So now you get to choose between a probably wrong door and a maybe wrong door

put my head on the rail in front of the train

The wierd thing with the Monty Hall problem is that instead of it being a 50/50 thing like you'd think, you actually have around a 60-70% chance at winning if you switch doors, and only a 30-40% chance if you stay.
Theres quite a few simulators you can run online to check this out, this is my favorite
mathwarehouse.com/monty-hall-simulation-online/

Shit gets spooky after a while.
>mfw its not 50-50 like it fucking should be aaahhhh

Are you dumb
Of course it's not 50/50 the whole point is that it's never 50/50 and it's been explained time and time again in this thread
There's nothing spooky
Think. Your first choice was 1/3.
Now you have one door eliminated.
It's as if it never existed now.
So, going back to the start.
You have 3 doors. You chose one. But now one is eliminated. You have another choice.
The odds you got it exactly right out of 3 doors is lower than the second chance you have.
Fuck it's so simple if you'd read the thread where people draw the same experiment but with 100 doors, with 98 of them eliminated after the first choice. The chance you got it right initially is lower than if you choose to switch.

bait

Just remember he's FORCED to reveal one of the bad options, so if EITHER of the other two was a good option, then you win by switching.

The Fool (durak), russian film from 2014 or something

nice Wholesome Meme

Underrated post.

I see 12 people dying no matter which choice is made.
Nihilism is fun.