/jazz/

dumb time signatures you appreciate when drunk edition

youtube.com/watch?v=iScSUwSZAuI

Attached: miles chugging one down-1960.jpg (1020x1549, 786K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VPGEqPXstew
youtube.com/watch?v=apkgYw7QMhU
pnas.org/content/98/20/11818.long
nature.com/articles/nn.2726.epdf?referrer_access_token=n2Sw7NoWhdSpm_ZSP9Mc79RgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0PZhF0xUDVMe20KAJehTFUp9hVRHBDZ09f_R6NPRtQ5bjc3sv4Gd9024OodEAOqgX1_hE0q2vWmvyPSbtK8COCXYmH8PPf2zoBbqqt6xUoOnC0Z2eIqwfnRmUxwFzT3AwROJixNjJaWQ1iE6oTdeKLYrrSOL0oCq8cAVuvnaiqdlObc02OKgJNScafbsGnaZ5w=&tracking_referrer=mentalfloss.com
mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1162/jocn_a_00371
m.youtube.com/watch?v=DcsxmqE7nfs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

who /giant steps// here?

Honestly I don't think about time signatures at all when I'm listening to music. Either it sounds right or it doesn't. That song sounds pretty right.

it's 4/4 though, and all about chords

youtube.com/watch?v=VPGEqPXstew

I once did some drugs and was walking through a city at night and this came on and it was so much fun. Like not including concerts and such, was probably one of my favourite music experiences.

took me some time to figure out that it wasn't 1/8 but rather some weird 7/8 7/8 6/8 7/8 way of timing

When a genre in 4/4 is infinitely even rhythmically interesting and capable than many others, that says a lot about the genre. Just think of comping for any instrument capable of doing it. There are virtually mathematically endless possibilities of doing it in a jazz setting.

yeah but that was what I was listening to at this very moment

I don't know how to count time signatures, but are these time signatures weird? Could anyone count them for me, maybe?
youtube.com/watch?v=apkgYw7QMhU

Time signatures are worth considering, although maybe not at first listen. Some math rock signatures can seem palatable and very listenable to different people.

yeah, but that's still 4/4
not that it limits anything, but when I'm drunk I'm more akin to concentrate on counting than taking care of chord changes

I've been very happy with the results of simply listening to music and deciding whether I like it so far. What can music theory possibly improve about the process, apart from me categorically and prematurely ruling out certain things?

>What can music theory possibly improve about the process, apart from me categorically and prematurely ruling out certain things?
Oh, no. Don't tell me you're another one who thinks music theory also "proves" if a piece of music is objectively good or bad. The real reason why it's important is the more dopamine your brain receives from better understanding and enjoyment of music.
pnas.org/content/98/20/11818.long

That study only says that listening to pleasurable music releases dopamine, not that the release increases with higher theoretical understanding.

Wrong link.
nature.com/articles/nn.2726.epdf?referrer_access_token=n2Sw7NoWhdSpm_ZSP9Mc79RgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0PZhF0xUDVMe20KAJehTFUp9hVRHBDZ09f_R6NPRtQ5bjc3sv4Gd9024OodEAOqgX1_hE0q2vWmvyPSbtK8COCXYmH8PPf2zoBbqqt6xUoOnC0Z2eIqwfnRmUxwFzT3AwROJixNjJaWQ1iE6oTdeKLYrrSOL0oCq8cAVuvnaiqdlObc02OKgJNScafbsGnaZ5w=&tracking_referrer=mentalfloss.com
mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1162/jocn_a_00371

did someone say time signatures?

Attached: MI0003334126.jpg (500x500, 22K)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=DcsxmqE7nfs
The opening piano melody reminds me of something but I can't remember. Any helps thanks

Is that a Bailey's ?
Pretty patrician.

Mere theoretical knowledge probably won't change your perception or understanding of jazz all that much, especially on first listen.

What WILL change that perception is experience applying that theoretical knowledge through critical listening and improvisation.

For example, sometime look at the blindfold tests in the back of downbeat magazine where they ask jazz musicians to give their thoughts about a track. Compare that to what the average Sup Forums poster has to say about a given jazz track, which is almost never more than:
>I like it
or
>it sounds good

This, seemingly unorthodox time signatures have never phased me. I don’t think about them when I play guitar and sing either, I just find a rhythm that fits the song. I should probably learn more about them if I want to play with bands, but my friend who plays banjo has never had difficulty following me when I do rhythm and vice versa.

but do you even use unorthodox time signatures?

Maybe not terribly unorthodox but I don’t only play in 4/4, I know that much.

Yeah but I don't think 3/4 or 6/8 really count as unorthodox. And I'd be surprised if you naturally play in 5, 7, or 10 or anything like that without ever having to think about it.

To be honest not too sure. My lack of theory knowledge is irritating, I am trying to improve on it. I mostly play by ear.

Best jazz album of the 21st century imo. I listened to this for a while before I even realized that a lot of the songs were in weird time signatures because I think they make them sound so natural. I've tried to figure out some of the time signatures before but I never really can very well. As soon as I think I've got it figured out the pattern changes or I realize I was counting it wrong or something.

I think time signatures barely count as music theory though. It's just really counting the number of beats that the music is organized in.

I don’t actually count in my head though, I just play what sounds right.

I know you fuckers like to ignore/shit on Dave Brubeck for being too "white" or "academic" or whatever meaningless buzzwords are in fashion, and truthfully Paul Desmond's sound isn't my favorite either, but you have to admit- this album is really more innovative than Kind of Blue or The Shape of Jazz to Come, and extremely ahead of its time/influential considering how many jazz artists started experimenting with time signatures in the 60's and then later.

Attached: 81tHyH2mfuL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 44K)

bump