SILENCE Directed by Martin Scorsese

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pCKwtUXyU1k&t=2s
youtube.com/watch?v=4xx25XajyjE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, and Liam Neeson

Really? Did Scorsese really need the most popular male actors for this movie? Andrew Garfield sucks by the way.

good

seriously why did he cast andrew garfield

>everyone shitting on Andrew Garfield
Yeah, his accent was inconsistent, but his emoting was convincing. He seemed fine in the role.

youtube.com/watch?v=pCKwtUXyU1k&t=2s

6/10. Decent idea for a story, great acting and visuals, extremely repetitive and overly simplistic plot.

I didn't think he was able to fully perform for the last 2/3rds in the prison, too many dramatic moments fell completely flat for me. Not 100% Garfield's fault, but he didn't help

Best movie of 2016, maybe even best of the decade so far

>this faggot advertising his shit channel again
fuck off you dumb cunt

>Mfw the relationship of the Priest-Bros Garfield and Driver was the most riveting aspect of the film

>Mfw Sup Forums is too pleb to comprehend this

the memes never lie

absolutely beautiful film.
>tfw Silence, Moonlight, La La Land, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water, and Manchester By the Sea, American Honey, Arrival all came out in the same year

what a year for kino

Of course it was. Then the film got much worse once they were separated.

>Christians get themselves killed because they worship idols

Just another reason Protestants were right all along.

>That bastard Scorsese didn't let them have their reunion

Oh lord why must we suffer....

truly I am the face of Sup Forums

Refusing to go through with the gesture was a symbolic representation of resistance in the face of evil.

>the self deprecating method of coping meme

>you will never experience the unconditional love that can only come from your Christian butt buddy after years of suffering together
Is there even a purer form of love?

Pretty underwhelming.
Needlessly drawn out at times.
Separated Garupe and Rodrigues too early.
Wasn't a fan of Andrew Garfield.
Liked some of the visuals, particularly the burning of the bodies on the beach.
The movie did a good job of showing torture without it being ultra-violent. I thought that helped the beheading scene a lot and made the torture as a whole seem more realistic.

self deprecation is a meme?
hacksaw>silence btw

You don't get to be a company wars fighting faggot and pretend to have taste

The Inquisitor was a delight

Can't believe this wasn't in the movie

youtube.com/watch?v=4xx25XajyjE

>rearned

From an objective standpoint many of the critiques people have of the movie are salient, but as someone who felt like he had a genuine religious moment in the cinema watching this, the criticisms seem frivolous to me. I feel like this requires some sort of faith to really appreciate.

this, I'm not sure how impacting the movie might be if you didn't grow up religious, attending church on sundays.

I don't understand a thing you just said

Yes you do

did you even see the movie? I'm quoting the inquisitor

Probably his best work in 20 years.

Takes several viewings though...

Already got the screener yesterday, have to fap and eat some salad first though before i watch it now

God i wish the weekends were longer

no

yeah i know, Japs say R instead of L. It's a tired joke though mate

Haven't seen it yet.

I like Adam Driver, though. How was his performance?

he doesn't drive a thing

He's not in it for that long, but he's pretty good.

Garfield's performance was actually good too imo

This is why the school days need to be longer

this is him: he's not a child, just a manchild.

no it's not. add some scooby doo talk replacing all first letters with an R too and you've got a party

PfftHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Martin Scorsese is finished.

plebs must die

Garfield's performance aside, it was pretty good. I feel like more should have been emphasized on the twist of a guy having his martyrdom glorification turned on its head. The elements for all that are there in the movie but again it might just have been Garfield's acting that didn't get it across. Or maybe a better connection should have been established between the priests and their congregation to make their executions feel more impactful.

>box office record breaking blockbusters determine a films quality
Guess that means Avatar is a better film than the Godfather and Citizen Kane combined.

>Guess that means Avatar is a better film than the Godfather and Citizen Kane combined.
It is, what's your point?

Why didn't the Japanese just exile Christians instead of torturing and killing them? Are they just sadists?

The film is great. I wish they had a better lead than Garfield though he is really isn't that great of an actor.

should've been driver

Japanese state, aka Samurai (I know there's more to the Edo caste system than that shut up I'm writing a short comment) want to stay in power. Can't do that if all the peasants are converting to a different religion and going full Rage Against the Machine on them. So they kill them, but then they figure out this nasty little religion is built on martyrs so they've only been reinforcing it all along. Only way to really undermine and excise it at this point is, as seen in this movie, to get the people spreading it to confirm it was JUST A JAPE FRIEND, JUST A JAPE.

was there really any indication the plebes might revolt simply because of christianity though? what reason did they have to believe it?

I always thought it was they they saw christianity as a foreign culture invasion

The film takes place in the years just after giant uprising was quelled and Christianity was banned as a result (even though the uprising was mainly over taxes, the region happened to be where Christianity was flourishing and a lot of converts were involved in the rebellion).

Following the religion itself, in a system as chaste and rigid as Edo era Japan, is a sign of revolt.
They don't have to take up arms or try to overthrow those in power. They just have to turn their nose up at their temples. And in a culture where people can receive the death sentence simply for being impolite that's a pretty big deal.

Its a hard movie to say if you like it or not. To me it seems like a personal project for Scorsese and his religion. While I don't believe in Christianity I still found this move and theme engaging.

Cinematography was great. Liam Neeson's dialogue, and the inquisitor's dialogue were very interesting. I do think it could be cut down in the middle by 20 mins or so.

Christianity is a pretty radical religion from a political standpoint. Its founder forgave adulteresses and hung out with the poorest and most destitute of his society. Radical egalitarianism is a Western concept partly because of Christianity.

Did you not see the movie? He's great in it.

Garfield was fine don't really get the complaints. And the length felt justified given the themes of martyrdom and torture. Enjoyed it however the film was to obsessed with icons and its depiction of faith/Christianity felt to simplistic.

>tfw could relate to Rodrigues's faith stemming largely from vanity

I don't think the film was too long since it was running around 2h30mins.
I suppose I'm in the minority here but I loved it and I am not even religious. I guess it resonated with me as a better take on the power of belief as Hacksaw ridge where you similarly see an ndividual's struggle with belief but it's handled way worse.
Still one of the weaker Scorsese movies I'd say but that is not really saying much.

Garfield actually wasn't so bad. I have to say I get the reviews that say Driver may have been better in his place only because I find him a slightly better actor. It was strange that they cut his character out so early because I liked the relationship between him and Rodrigues.