Why does sampling trigger autist so much?

Why does sampling trigger autist so much?

Attached: 1469664015234.jpg (333x348, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c5qwsSZ_98M
youtube.com/watch?v=LDZX4ooRsWs
youtu.be/3L-x_pb93_4
youtube.com/watch?v=5jlI4uzZGjU
youtube.com/watch?v=QpbQ4I3Eidg
youtube.com/watch?v=fyaI4-5849w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because it's unoriginal. If you can't play an instrument at all, then you're not a musician. If you have to rely on liberating other people's original art to make your one-dimensional pop music, then you're not an artist at all. Anyone can take a part of a song, distort and pitch shift it, change the tempo, add shitty lyrics, and boom. It's done.

Attached: 1512284971655.jpg (853x106, 37K)

Sampling is fine. When your whole song/album/discography is made up of samples, then you’re a hack. There are some exceptions to this rule, but over all, if you only ever sample, you arent a musician.

>Anyone can take a part of a song, distort and pitch shift it, change the tempo, add shitty lyrics, and boom. It's done.
No. Not really.
Just like any form of art. It takes some skill.

>When your whole song/album/discography is made up of samples, then you’re a hack
>if you only ever sample, you arent a musician.

Attached: dj-shadow-endtroducing-1996-2lp.jpg (600x600, 94K)

Name an album that is entirely composed of samples and is also bad.

A lot of people who like music but aren't involved with it beyond consumption like to grab hold of words and misuse them in a shallow attempt to feel superior to others, despite not even knowing what it means it the first place.

Same shit with autotune. Even though it's abused by producers to make up for shitty singers it's ultimately nothing more than a tool, and it's the usage that's the problem not the tool itself.

Oh, please. It all starts with the idea of the song. When you hear a part that feels underwhelming, you automatically imagine how it could be better. That's what sampling essentially is. It's just readjusting a song to fill your vision. Nothing more.

Sure is 14 in here.

Isn’t that proving my point? Anyone can make a “great” album full of samples cause all you have to do is choose from great songs written by someone else.

I don't care to argue, just name an album that's entirely composed of samples and is bad.

see

You guys are only considering sampling in the form of like, vaporwave and some types of hip hop

You can take a few second part of a song, slice it, and use it as an instrument, to play different notes - that's literally no different from using a synth

More like still no different than taking a riff from a song and slightly adjusting it. Playing the melody backwards, or adding one additional note, it's still lazy. You might as well just compose your own melody anyway.

>Anyone can make a “great” album full of samples
can you?
it's still lazy if you don't build your own instruments from scratch

Again, if sampling took real musicianship, there would be tons of albums that failed at it, just like there are for so many other types of music.
Again, there are exceptions to the rule. Paul’s Boutique, for example, is a great album made up of samples. But they proved themselves as musicians with their other work. I’m not opposed to sampling, there’s some great tunes made up of samples. But when “your” song is just somebody else’s song, then you didn’t make a song, you just put a new packaging on someone else’s work.
Again, not opposed to sampling as a form of music. But DJs who only sample arent musicians.

Yeah, I could. It would take time but if I wanted to I could do it.
Are people who make edits of movies filmmakers?

Its not bad actually. Some samples contain piece of musician's soul and sound better than if they were played by artist who sample them himself.
Also, if you play other artist's melody/riff in your song, they will probably call you a plagiarist, but if you sample it, it would be more ok.

it takes skill to make something original from a sample the same way it takes skill to make something original from any other instrument

>there would be tons of albums that failed at it
Girl Talk.
Literally anything Girl Talk.

What's wrong with not being a 'real' musician? Seems more like a semantic quibble more than anything, and in the end, sample-using music is still being made and listened to.

I care if the music I listen brings me pleasure, not if it's original or groundbreaking.

Bro sampling and pitch shifting and looping to make a hip hop beat takes no skill. Even i can and have done that shit and im shit at playing all instruments.

Link?

the same way playing a couple of riffs on a guitar takes no skill, it's just another instrument

ITT people who have never used a daw or know what sampling even is

but ur just pressin a buttong

Attached: 8nRqoXW.png (800x729, 48K)

By the same logic, I guess this is also unoriginal and lazy because this artist didn't draw everything and take all the photos themself.
Sampling isn't taking something good someone else made and claiming it as your own like many people make it out to be, it's taking something and recontextualizing it with other elements.
And why do people equate difficulty with quality? There are people who take the bee movie and find literally every time a specific word is said and either speeds it up or plays a different clip entirely or some other absurd bullshit and essentially put in excessive effort to make a shitpost on the internet. Are these shitposts artistic masterpieces because of the amount of effort put into creating them? Of course not.

Attached: e8eaaee6c3d436ffa4e0fa4c6392893b.jpg (736x979, 126K)

>he doesn't hear talent

Attached: 5fd.png (768x752, 88K)

>photoshoping makes me a great artist
>it's still an image bro! it doesn't matter how it was made!

Play a g shape barre chord right now.

lol, that painter doesn't even know how to use the burn tool

fucking idiot

says the one who doesn't even know how to use the reply option

If they add their own interesting stuff and make it new, yes.

Attached: IMG_7213-1.jpg (620x409, 107K)

Reality is meaningless. Concepts will always prevail over concrete action. Only a brainlet would limit his mind to reality.

>it's taking something and recontextualizing it with other elements.
So basically you distort the artist's original vision in order to conform it to your own. Disgusting. The artist intended his art to be aligned in his own vision separate from others' interference. To take the artists' intent, purpose or meaning and butcher it into your vision, as opposed to creating something on your own that fits your vision, is to tarnish your artistic integrity. It's akin to genetically modifying a plant into an animal; you not only ruin the uniqueness and beauty of said tree, but ruin the purpose of nature itself. And no. Nature is too whimsical to be a part of reality.

youtube.com/watch?v=c5qwsSZ_98M

Whoa man real instruments amazing Endtroducing got nothing on this.

Photoshop is a bad analogy.
I agree that if you just take a melody or drum line and use it for your own song then it’s unoriginal and lazy, but look at albums like Endtroducing... or Since I Left You, those are more than just stealing a melody or drumline, those take tiny samples from hundreds of sources to create something entirely new

I uh
gggg I want to talk to a pretty girl.
maybe she lkes me?

Concepts are meaningless unless put into concrete action.

There's a boy named Jack. He decides to shoot his friend Lily, a pregnant single mother living below the poverty line. What do you think is gonna happen to Jack?

Nothing. Because deciding to do something, and actually doing it are two different things. Reality is the only thing that matters. You're a loser if you convince yourself otherwise.

>I agree that if you just take a melody or drum line and use it for your own song then it’s unoriginal and lazy
Lazy or not.
The average listener doesn't care in reality.
Find a melody and abusing to your own needs is pretty smart.
It Was a Good Day still bangs.

Without concepts, you fail to grasp the bigger picture or underlying meaning of action or intention. Jack's decision to shoot her friend could have been caused by an intrusive thought, or it could signify if he secretly suffers from a psychotic disorder. Understanding his thought process and internal conflicts, along with how his decision reveals his personality tells just as much, if not more than the fact that he did not attempt to kill her. One could use his decision as a premonition for his fate, like if he would kill her in the future, or if he wants to kill somebody else.

What's the use of attaining the big picture if you never do anything with it? Action isn't everything, but without it, you're nothing. Everything on Earth is about what happens. Feelings aren't the focus of history books, actions are. Feelings are secondary. You think anyone who isn't a giant Einstein nerd wonders about why he did the things he did? Most people don't care when looking at the big picture of things. They just know he did it, and it's done, and it's important. Imagine if he didn't do shit with all his gifts and knowledge. We wouldn't be here talking about him. What you do with concepts is more important than the concepts themselves.

Sure the average listener doesn’t care, but that wasn’t the point I was making. I think sampling is a genuine technique and there’s nothing wrong with it, but there’s also a line between “I just took this guys melody and pitched shifted it and put beats over it” and “I cut a small quarter second of a woman singing and used it as a synth and then cut out the drums from another song and made a whole new break with them while still keeping the organic drum sound etc etc”

Most people that don't like sampling are making the argument that taking some older song, looping one section of it and rapping over it doesn't take as much effort as writing music yourself.

I personally think sampling has a right and wrong way to do it. If it's completely transformative than it's great, otherwise it's just lazy.
Good examples of sampling done right are Since I Left You, Music Has the Right, Donuts, etc.
Bad examples are like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=LDZX4ooRsWs

Attached: SILY.jpg (355x355, 49K)

a guitar chord is also just a sample

i am autistic and i trigger samples all the time.

Samples are the new synths. Since even dadrockers started incorporating synths everywhere they can no longer throw punches at synths for being "not real instruments", so the samples were the next logical step.

>Synths are not real instruments
When the fuck did anyone but people into buttrock say this?

>has an smash bros logo profile picture.
This gotta be satire.

What's wrong with Smash Bros?

>They aint musican cause i said so

That's literally most of the arguments here.
Rockists are sad.

Attached: 1509587806936.png (645x729, 40K)

NOT REEL INSTRUMENZ

Attached: images.png (235x215, 6K)

You can still make original music with electronics/computers WITHOUT using others' original works, and be a musician. Likewise, you can still steal others' riffs and melodies by using a guitar. When I posted , I meant by "not being a musician" that if you can't create your own music using an instrument, whether an electronic/electric or acoustic one or with computers and such, and had to rely on musicians that made their own music (SAMPLING), they you aren't a musician. A musician creates music on his own as original and distinguishable as possible from other works. That's what generates new music and keeps it alive. Sampling represents that we've reached the nadir, the abyss. We're scraping the bottom of the barrel and recycling ideas that have already been done.

Computers are real instruments, but sampling instead of originally composing diminishes it.

>That's what generates new music and keeps it alive. Sampling represents that we've reached the nadir, the abyss. We're scraping the bottom of the barrel and recycling ideas that have already been done.
You do know Sampling is basically useless nowadays? Even in Hip Hop.
I don't know why you're acting like the end of music.

Because it feels as if this reflects a grander thought that art is beginning to, if not has lost its sense of originality. Look at Rock music as a start, for example. To be honest, there's only so many ways to play some heavy, distorted lick and protrude to the world your inner "anger" using as much cryptic clichés as possible before it just gets all muddled and repetitive. That's the whole problem; rock in general has now exhausted its course. After the rise of Nirvana, who heavily relied on melancholic, depressive ideas in their music, brought Alternative Rock to the mainstream, there was a noticeable difference in the attitude of Rock music. Genuine optimism faded in favor of sorrow, and the typical bravado you'd see in Glam Metal/Hard Rock was replaced with angst in Nu Metal, Post-Grunge and Emo. This transgressive attitude prevalent in Rock failed to advance the genre any further; it stagnated with its power-chord heavy dynamics and loud, edgy vocals. Even bands like Radiohead, who made some of the greatest masterpieces of modern music, took quite a lot of their ideas from bands like Faust, Kraftwerk and The Velvet Underground. This amount of "inspiration" in music makes me worried about whether the world can still make original ideas or not. It's like, this reflects a grander thought that humanity is beginning to lose its sense of purpose or meaning.

This is the point where you start listening to modern classical to find where all the truly original ideas are from

I'm a clinically diagnosed autist person, and I only listen to sample-based music from between 1988 and 1991.

Hmm...

Elaborate, please. Favorite artists?

Bump

>implying autists aren't the best samplers
youtu.be/3L-x_pb93_4

Attached: IMG_3594.jpg (1200x1200, 398K)

found the autist

Scores of bad pop songs that lazily use sampling/interpolation to trigger the Pavlovian response of hearing a familiar track.

youtube.com/watch?v=5jlI4uzZGjU

youtube.com/watch?v=QpbQ4I3Eidg

youtube.com/watch?v=fyaI4-5849w

If this is all you know of sampling, you're gonna hate it.

>anybody can do it
found the guy who hasn't made anything sound good using samples

What about self-sampling?

It's okay, but still just as lazy as stealing someone else's work.

I play plenty of instruments and have recorded my own songs in the past but presently I find working with samples much more rewarding and interesting. There's an element of novelty where you never know what you're going to find but you have an idea of what you want and how it will work with your current song. It's definitely not easy either. It's more time consuming than simply playing and recording exactly what you want. But it adds whole new layers and dimensions to the music I think. Working with samples has made me look at crafting a song in a totally different way. And it's nice because I had kind of hit a musical dead end and was pretty uninspired for a while. I think anyone who knocks sampling and says It takes no talent isn't an actual musician.

you can't hear it because this is an internet post silly billy