Korg Monologue users

Any synth players here? Thinking about buying a Monologue, anyone got any experience with them? I make moody synthpop because I'm a degenerate but I also like squelchy acid sounds

Attached: 4E1EB3E5-7EB3-4CD9-BDA6-845DBC5D0B1F-5539-0000065B2FE2CF25.jpg (313x470, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wokwave.com/old-plugins/html/vsmini_vocoder_plugin_by_wok.html
tal-software.com/products/tal-vocoder
global.novationmusic.com/synths/bass-station-ii#
youtube.com/watch?v=Rezc9NjvBc4
youtube.com/watch?v=pvTZ-wHrrj4
youtube.com/watch?v=V5r-PBBNsng
youtube.com/watch?v=CcgQ_eSVp7s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Go CL.

Just buy a cool 90's synth off ebay. Lot cheaper and better sounding

synths r gay

CL?

like what?

Ciat-Lonbarde

I dunno. Get a yamaha or ensoniq or something. There's plenty of old rave synths on there. If you're gonna get some new flashy synth you mine as well just use VSTs

I also make gay synthpop for my normalfag friends, any good vocoders/vocoder plug-ins for poor autists?

you should just go with a minilogue instead of a monologue, i mean if you make synthpop you probably want to actually play chords and stuff.

I really like "VSMINI" by Wokwave, and it's free. 32-bit only, though. It's the best approximation I've gotten to a Tobacco/Black Moth Super Rainbow sound (if you like that sort of thing). To set it up, you pan your vocals hard to one side, your synth to the other, and route them both into a channel that has the vocoder on it. You flip a switch on the VST to decide which side is your carrier signal and which is your modulator.
>wokwave.com/old-plugins/html/vsmini_vocoder_plugin_by_wok.html

TAL Vocoder probably gets the most buzz out of all the free ones, though. The setup is pretty much the same.
>tal-software.com/products/tal-vocoder

Attached: vsmini.jpg (391x559, 65K)

microkorg S

I've been eyeing one of those, too.

Casios CZs are nice and cheap

Just do it. They're not a god-tier synth, but you can get them for like $200 now which is just plain fucked up for how good they are. What do you have to lose.

Would a Casio CZ-1 be a good purchase? I'm broke as a joke but I've heard you can model a lot of expensive Oberheim-esque synths with this thing

>comparing old ROMpler like Ensoniq that aged like vinegar to a pure analog synth

CZ has always been underrated
Speaking of CZ1
> It has a full 61-note 5-octave keyboard with velocity and aftertouch sensitivity
>With the CZ-1 you get 8-stage envelopes, 2 oscillators per voice
>Plus it also have MIDI.
I would buy it imo.

Get a dx7

That's 80s

So buy a SY-something

I'm afraid that all you're talking about is all digital gear, when the op is interested in analog sounds. It's true that the st series is an analog like synthesizer, but the engine is quite poor. On the other hand the ms2000 would be the perfect analog synth emulator, and given that is an early 00s product it has a very low price on eBay. If I had to make such a purchase, that would be my pick. It also has vocoder

Ok, but keep your dick off my synths

A agree, MS2000 is dirt cheap compared to what it actually worth

Sold mine, after less than a year it started going out of tune constantly and volume knob would not respond. Sent it back to Korg under warranty and they just gave me a new one.
So instead of waiting another year for it to be unusable got rid of it, not shure what will I get to replace it but damm shure it won't be a current Korg product, their quality control has gone to shit.
It was fun while it lasted but I gig once a week and need a real synth, not a glorified Volca

Get a Microkorg, both Monologue and Minilogue lack of character are just gimmicky crap, the mini at least had some firmware updates to fix their fuckups, Monologue never got one and the volume knob issue has been there forever.
Microkorg can do the same (except sequencing) and it's reliable af also has way better filters than the "logues"

It's hard to program at first but pretty good, if you're into synthpop and specially 80s style goth the Casio CZ series have gr8 presets for that

Microkorg has shit keys, even if it's a very capable analog modeling synth

Just bought one last month. It's not bad. Great for learning the basics of synthesis, and the oscilloscope helps in understanding what different parameter tweaks do to a waveform. It has a pretty neutral sound for the most part, though I have yet to pair it with any analog pedals to beef up the tones. I should warn you about the envelope, though. There's a very noticable clicking sound when the Attack and/or Decay are below 25%. I don't mind it much, but it can be annoying to have to adjust the envelope first when working on a sound. I do think it's kinda overpriced. The Microkorg XL (which I owned prior to the Minilogue) has a ton of more features and effects, and costs about the same. The sound of the Minilogue is only marginally better imo. Consider renting one for a few days before making the decision to buy it.

You can chop them of and use a conroller or an MS-2000 if you find one.
I sequence most of my stuff so keys are not an issue, but agree they're kinda shitty until you get use to them.
If Korg ever makes a modular/desktop version might get one, with that said, its still a better synth than the mini/monologue (even of the noise generator sucks)

Both the minilogue and monologue sound dildos. Ensoniqs are some of the best I've ever heard. They're digital but have analog filters. Gonna get a lot more out of that than a monologue. Literary every time I've ever heard a monologue it's sounded exactly the same, and it's not a very good sound. Like everyone else said, ms2000s are great. The microkorg has the same engine but shitty interface, only 4 voices, and no sequencer (atleast I think the ms2000 has a sequencer, i may be wrong). I like the roland boutiques too, if you can get one for cheap. Just very tiny.

Hopefully the analog craze will die out soon and we might get some decent cheap VA synths.
Something like the Blofeld with more voices and a decent engine would be a godsend, too bad the Blofeld sucks balls. Tried the boutiques, just cant into those tiny knobs and dont want adapters, just put a fuckin 1/4" output like a normal instrument for fucks sake

>mono
minilogue at least please

I've owned a lot of Korg gear (MS2000, Wavestation EX, Delta string machine) and still have an MS-10 that will be older that most of the people ITT, but I'd go for an Atruia Microbrute for analog sounds and value for money.

As a lover of all things electronic and dance music, buying a monophonic synth in 2018 is retarded

Not sure if VA synths can make a comeback now that you got :
- Emulations (Arturia for example)
- Sampling got better with old synths (UVI)
- Analog toys and small synths (Volca, Microbrute, Yamaha Boutique) now a trend

2/2
If you want something that sounds like REAL TB303s, though, for "acid"(and a whole lot more), the Novation Basstation 2 is your choice. It has an 18db filter mode (most other synths have 12 or 24bd filters). It does the 12 & 24db slope as well, and has bandpass, highpass filters as well as your standard lowpass filter.
global.novationmusic.com/synths/bass-station-ii#

I just want a multitumbral desktop synth with analog filters a few knobs and a simple workflow.
Guess I'll just have to get into E-MU romplers in the meantime, Blofed sounded so good on paper but too bad it doesn't even makes a sound while plugged in a set

E-MU filters are shit. Oh, yes,they have about 20+ different types but they will never self-oscillate. Tame as fuck. I still own an E6400 and the filters sound good on acoustic emulations, but for a synth? Nope.

I dont play ambient so dont care much about self-oscillation, just want my filter sweeps to sound good
On another subject, hope the Digitone does well and we get a some cheap and good FM synth, something like the Volca FM but without the dumb limitations and proper outputs/non-toy knobs. I could forgive those but the fact that it doesn't support program changes is baffling. Almost pulled the trigger on a TX802 recently, but someone beat me to it, sucks that its so fucking big and heavy thou.

>cheap and good FM synth
the Yamaha Reface DX is good and like $200 used. it's basically the same engine as a DX11 but way easier to program.

I think it's underrated because it can't support DX7 patches and the Volca FM can, which is pretty shitty because the Volca sucks ass except for that fact

OP here, hanks for your replies, will take them into consideration when selecting my purchase. Also just realised that the synth in the original image is actually a Minilogue

Yeah, the Reface series are seriously underrated, too bad I live in a shithole country and there about $600 US dollars here because dumb taxes and shit.
My only choices are used modules and stuff like that, not that it's a bad thing (recently got a K1r for $60 bucks and missed on that TX802 that was around that price) but the market here is very limited, maybe when Uli decides to make a FM synth clone I'll get one.
For some reason, Korg and Beringher have decent prices here, like just $30 more than in the US

Don't support synthesizer manufacturers.

>$60 TX802
Damn son!
I love that thing. It's like having 16 synths in one box

Yup, that's why someone beat me to it, there hard to find in the wild and when one shows up they sell in seconds, specially for that price.
For $60 you get a K1m, that TX was around $90, still a bargain (they normally go for around $150 in the used market)

Well first off that's not a monologue that's a minilogue, meaning it's polyphonic and you can play more than one note at a time, which you'll want. The minilogue's good, I've played it some, but I'd personally reccomend getting the Yamaha Reface CS and then a bigger controller keyboard. Has some really nice vintage synth pads and lead sounds.

Attached: 82954CA8-5596-4E74-B8E0-5DB006062E88-14244-00001D2188B8270A.jpg (1920x1080, 123K)

My best friend has an MS-2000 and it’s super fucking flexible. Does lots of squelchy acid stuff and also pads and chords, insane bang for the buck and it has its own character.

If you can get it for a fair price then you should definately go for it.

bump

That being said, I’ve only heard good things about the Mini and Mono-logue’s.

So if you really want to then go for it.

Got monologue last summer and might sell it soon. Bought the Behringer Model D a while ago so the ML is not getting used that much anymore. Still a nice synth but there are better options.

Don't buy into a dying industry. Build a good PC, get a good midi keyboard and some soft synths. Your sonic possibilities will be endless. Don't limit yourself in 2018.

softsynths are better

Sell it before you get hit by the volume knob issue and/or it starts going out of tune. Usually happens after a year, luckily mine was under warranty and they just gave me a new one since they couldn't fix it (sold the new one right away).
It's a nice synth but build quality is shit-tier, at least the *brutes last 2yrs before the oscillators start becoming imposible to tune.
I might get a Model D, but rather wait for more reviews before getting one

I'm with the others, check out some 90s VA synths. you'll get more out of your money.

JP8000
youtube.com/watch?v=Rezc9NjvBc4

Korg MS2000
youtube.com/watch?v=pvTZ-wHrrj4

Yamaha AN1x
youtube.com/watch?v=V5r-PBBNsng

Roland JX305 - this one is a rompler, but it can eaisly do synthpop and has an onboard 8 ch sequencer (also m83's secret weapon)
youtube.com/watch?v=CcgQ_eSVp7s

>implying a single click bitmap interface is better than knob per function

maybe on price, but that's it

Attached: 1415819457769.png (360x327, 230K)

It's like you assholes don't understand softsynths and midi.

wtf are you talking about?
All analog synths go out of tune, re-tuning them is just a part of necessary maintenance

one or two years is a little bit soon, unless you're changing climates or something, but I don't see how that's worth selling it

I don't understand the appeal of hardware VA synths. If you're going to do digital emulation, why not just get a midi controller and softsynths for cheaper? Like the only real point to analog by now is the sound quality so I'm legitimately confused

no, theyre cool for sure but theyre a programming nightmare and they dont have fun knobs

>If you're going to do digital emulation, why not just get a midi controller and softsynths for cheaper?
What makes you think that is a cheaper solution? you can find these synths for under $500 and they can also act as a much more robust midi controller than what you'd find on the market for the same price... the fact you're getting an onboard synth engine is a bonus.

Cz sounds great, but they are really fucking annoying to program. Plus you need a 80 dollar memory card to save your 20 patches (unimpressed yet?). You can make equally wacky sounds, or imitate prince and madonna, on any of the new digital synths. Unless you are playing 3 octaves, i dont recommend cz. I say this as a previous owner and fan.

some like to do music without computers

novation circuit mc-303 jp-08 satisfy my unemployed needs

>wtf are you talking about?
They didn't include anything to keep the VCOs stable like a any proper analog synth so a sequencer sending too many notes, temperature, PSUs, etc can fuck them up

>All analog synths go out of tune, re-tuning them is just a part of necessary maintenance
Duh, of course, the problem is when all retuning methods fail or work for 5 minutes. In my case 1/2 of the keyboard was a semitone lower than the other half, contacted Korg and sent it for warranty, read my previous post

>one or two years is a little bit soon, unless you're changing climates or something, but I don't see how that's worth selling it
Any synth that shows those signs of shit build quality to the point the manufacturer rather replaces it instead of fixing it is a big red flag, why keep a synth that cant be trusted? How do I know it wont happen again now that it lost it's warranty (they labeled it as fixed)

Does that answer your question?

Regarding the appeal of VA synths the answer is the same as in any hardware vs DAWs discussion. It's literally a matter of taste and how you like your workflow.
If you gig often hardware is far more reliable, if it's well built and doesn't shit itself randomly, but thats what rehearsals are for

Circuit is good but the fact that it doesn't have a screen sucks, also, not a fan of Nova synth engine
The MC-303 sounds gr8 (specially the drums) but the rest is crap
Have you considered selling both and getting an MPC or better groovebox?

Well yeah, if you're only buying one synth.
But say you spend $1000 on the perfect MIDI controller that does everything you need, then you can pirate 50 softsynths for free. You couldn't afford buying 50 different hardware synths even if they are cheaper than the MIDI controller

a good MIDI controller can have knobs set to whatever parameters you want, so the interface is essentially the same as hardware synths

Oh, well shit. I didn't realize the tuning issues were that bad. Most of that stuff you deal with on vintage synths should be kept stable with digital controls, I mean Roland was doing that with DCO synths in the 80s. My Juno very rarely goes out of tune.

> My Juno very rarely goes out of tune.
Exactly, thats because its a well built synth and the reason it's not a cheap one. A friend has a Moog Prodigy for almost 10 years, plays in a band that is constantly touring and only tuned it once, when he bought it.
Unless you can afford a good analog synth you are better of with a good VA one. Say what you want about the Microkorg, but that thing is reliable as fuck and thats why so many professional artist use it live, also bcs it sounds good of course

>perfect MIDI controller that does everything you need
no such thing
also OP is looking to buy one (1) synth, so what is the issue?

Same here user

Then read the thread and avoid it
Its a glorified Volca with shit build quality and no character, it's loud and looks good, but that's about it.
There are better options out there depending on your needs

For the price point for an analogue poly there's literally no better option.

Not even true
for ~$400-500 you have

>JX3P
>JX8P
>Alpha Juno(s)
>Poly 61/M
>Poly 800 / II
>AX60 / AX80
>Delta DL-50
>Tetra
>SQ-80 / ESQ-1 (not fully analog but similar enough)
>DW-6000 / 8000 (also not fully analog)

Maybe even a Matrix 6 or 1000 if you find a good deal.

That being said, I find that even virtual analog like the JU-06 sounds better than the Minilogue

does it even have midi

OP was asking about the Monologue, which is monophonic (he just posted the wrong picture).
Anyways I would skip it and just get a Microkorg, it's not as flashy but is a better synth overall and has more character, unless you REALLY want an analog one
I have both and after months of using the Minilogue I undusted my old MK1 and never looked back, maybe my time with the minilogue helped me learn more about synthesis but that's it. Probably will sell the mini to get a good FM synth that my setup is lacking

None of those are as easily programmable and hands on as the minilogue. They might sound better but the minilogue is so straightforward and filled with knobs that its insane nobody thought to make a synth at that point that isn't covered in menus before.

Really it depends on what he wants. For easy patch creation and tweakability while being fully analog and having patch memory there's nothing else.

>knobs are more important than sound
lol.
like it matters how easy it is to create a patch if it sounds like shit?

also most of those either have external programmers or apps you can control them via MIDI with

also, none of those are hard to program and the ones without dedicated knobs have a slider you can use to control the filter, which is the only reason most people need real-time knobs for

Except for the ESQ-1. The slider on that cannot do filter sweeps. It requires you to press the key again to hear a change, which is totally dumb, but I love mine.

>a shitton of analog features cramped in a budget synth
>built by current Korg, that is known to have dropped the ball quality control hard
>for an analog synth it's gotten like 5 firmware updates that are basically bug fixes, and still has bugs
If nothing of what was said on this thread (regarding both mini/monologue) doesn't make you suspicious I dont know what to say.

You know what they say when something looks too good to be true

Attached: 1494280811102.png (399x320, 119K)

>None of those are as easily programmable and hands on as the minilogue

Attached: 1378402087155.jpg (386x384, 19K)

He's saying that most of those don't have knob-per-function so he can't feel cool looking like a faggot on stage twiddling knobs randomly to make his cool EVER EVOLVING AMBIENT DRONE MUSIC, MAN

>AMBIENT DRONE MUSIC
this is what 90% of people who own at least one synth make. It's really stupid.

>squelchy acid
Sounds like an excellent fit then OP. Go for it. Maybe try to find a used one.

Wrong. A Monologue is $300 new. Used you could get it for even less. Especially if OP likes squelchy acid sounds, which is the primary thing the Monologue does, there's no cheaper, better option.

You cannot have a working Poly 61 M for $500.

Is it so wrong to prefer the immediacy of knob-per-function as opposed to holding down three tiny plastic buttons at the same time and then gently nudging a LCD digit indicator upwards one integer at a time?

I dunno why I said M, they probably sell for more. but I see regular Poly 61s from 450-600

Yes, the non midi version can be had for much less

No but it's faggy to care more about knobs than the sound and quality of the synth.

Also, do you hate synths like SH101 and Junos too? Because those have sliders instead of knobs. Imagine a synth like those, except you can only move 1 slider at a time. That's how easy it is to program without knobs. We're not talking about DX7 here

Nah sliders are good too. But most cheap polysynths can't be arsed to even have those. Trust me, I love the roland stuff. But outside of the tiny boutiques shit's expensive

I sold all my hw meme synths in the past year: Blofeld, microbrute, system 1m, emx1, even the BS2.
Fuck, i gave away my tascam 414 (which i loved) too.

Now i'm a full digital whore. Live 10, push 2, apollo twin.

Next week keylab 88 and shape 65 will come in, can't fucking wait.

Analog is dead.

Shitty 90s romplers is where it's at.

Same. It's nice to have so much space again.

have fun not performing live :^)

How is performing live with softsynths different from using hardware synths?

that's a trick question, there is no such thing as performing live with softsynths

The sound of a Jupiter 8, classic Oberheim, Prophet V, etc., will never be "dead" anymore than piano or violin will ever be "dead". They're great instruments.

he's a opn fan user

Attached: smile.png (265x306, 131K)

Like anyone could notice
I used to play two synths at a time while singing, no one actually cared or knew what i was doing.

Also push 2+a shitty 25 keys controller is more than enough for a jam or a performance. The rest is just showing off and wanking for people who trust their eyes more that their ears

>he had knob per function but didn't utilize it

wew