Japanese Rock/Metal

Why haven't you converted to Jap rock? Western rock is stagnant at the moment, look towards Japanese rock music for something actually interesting.

youtube.com/watch?v=rFF1r-C--tU

Attached: GAZ BABES.jpg (900x563, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CvJQ1pFBi8A
youtube.com/watch?v=kKQR2bGo3Hw
m.youtube.com/watch?v=s6aHATj_mWQ
youtube.com/watch?v=EsX7x3TEL_s
youtube.com/watch?v=8g3A-kuHc3g
youtube.com/watch?v=NEJf5SBgKhw
youtube.com/watch?v=k1Qzmgcdvdk
youtube.com/watch?v=cTf7MxWGDG0
web.archive.org/web/20040604201144/http://proxemics.net:80/honyaku/history.html
youtube.com/watch?v=6uGb9dbpeD8
youtube.com/watch?v=K_llkLxlpFA
youtube.com/watch?v=mkUI-Y4svWo
youtube.com/watch?v=o3E2yqlyABw
youtube.com/watch?v=5mH4u-vE2kE
youtube.com/watch?v=2jIKzC1rL1k
youtube.com/watch?v=SBwK2s734DQ
m.youtube.com/watch?v=51CH3dPaWXc
youtube.com/watch?v=iK0l7wNp3i4
youtube.com/watch?v=yWM1kaDVMvI
youtube.com/watch?v=W3uW63JXnjU
youtube.com/watch?v=HTHIM5mGeaU
youtube.com/watch?v=R4c2tGS83e4
youtube.com/watch?v=N-e-uoy1-20
youtube.com/watch?v=FmYCyQpQedc
youtube.com/watch?v=ADr9QbMAsio
youtube.com/watch?v=XXgOFhF_gL8
youtube.com/watch?v=2nBfC0KfuIk
youtube.com/watch?v=IN1Uia-5rOY
youtube.com/watch?v=I5FCecUs3Ak
youtube.com/watch?v=UYQ6n3G-VvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Tvp-FoiAxGw
youtube.com/watch?v=G2WEJp6T09A
youtube.com/watch?v=iF9OCscCcDE
youtube.com/watch?v=crIDYHftFsE
youtube.com/watch?v=GaUFrs_Y-KM
youtube.com/watch?v=vlEsoafzC-o
youtube.com/watch?v=v1HnGNuH6FA
youtube.com/watch?v=8FopY7ZaYDY
youtube.com/watch?v=tkgIcZWuqkc
youtube.com/watch?v=YH56iAHUtCI
youtube.com/watch?v=zdYlBdStd6Y
youtube.com/watch?v=D90AOhojK3M
youtube.com/watch?v=5r7yMqKH8JM
youtube.com/watch?v=r7jR1DsW56Y
youtube.com/watch?v=nqnv24KX6lQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

G.I.S.M.
Gauze
Lip Cream

Unless you've heard of these three bands, don't talk to me about Jap Rock.

Alright, fine. Give me some good J-Rock. No metal plz, I'm already gay.

Some good J-rock bands who aren't metal are:
DIV
Alice nine
Mucc
Kiryu

Nice. Gonna check them out.

Don't fool yourself, those Visual Kei bands are just boy bands with loud guitars, totally fake and meaningless.
The only redeeming quality I found in it is that their Japanese fans are really into it. It feels good to see music lovers who are sincere/not completely jaded.

I'd recommend you Mucc's 2004 LP and sukekiyo stuff (which is genuinely great).

Crystal Lake is really good but not Japanese vocals. But still Ryo's vocals are insane

youtube.com/watch?v=CvJQ1pFBi8A

The only Japanese "metal" band I've heard is Crossfaith, my nerd friend dragged me along to see them live. They were fucking terrible.

Yeah many vkei bands are manufactured and completely lack any substance.
However, about 1 in 10 vkei bands are legit and make really great music.

Try this

Attached: satori.png (1000x1000, 735K)

youtube.com/watch?v=kKQR2bGo3Hw

I was. But spotify started banning hacked apks so I lost all my jrock music.

Stacked Rubbish was fantastic. The last I heard from them was the album Dim which I liked mainly for it's percussion and bass. Can someone update me on their more recent works and how do these hold up?

Bands I liked were Versailles, Moi Dix Mois, An Cafe, D'EspairsRay, Penicillin. As you can probably tell, it's been a while.

These guys (Diaura) were pretty cool but they had a short run.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=s6aHATj_mWQ

Wow, they really changed over the years. I remember listening to them and other bands from that scene back in the day.

Few years ago, I saw envy and Brahman in Osaka. I was really impressed by the crowd, people always say that japs are quiet and well behaved in concert but nothing could be further from the truth.

bump

>Western rock is stagnant at the moment
J-Rock is just as stagnant. It sounds different, so it feels less stagnant to you, but watch a couple of anime openings and it becomes depressingly obvious.

80s Japanese metal was fucking god tier
youtube.com/watch?v=EsX7x3TEL_s
youtube.com/watch?v=8g3A-kuHc3g
youtube.com/watch?v=NEJf5SBgKhw
youtube.com/watch?v=k1Qzmgcdvdk
youtube.com/watch?v=cTf7MxWGDG0

Attached: anthem floof.jpg (620x631, 71K)

But user, I have. They've been killing it with math rock, and beyond stuff like toe's post-rock endeavors or tricot's pop sensibilities. Besides, they're also fucking grand at power pop, which is impressive.

This.
I can't stand the majority of VK bands, but the few ones I like, I really really like.
Here's a good read about VK
web.archive.org/web/20040604201144/http://proxemics.net:80/honyaku/history.html

Attached: mizers.jpg (486x500, 57K)

Can you point me out to an anime opening that sounds like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=6uGb9dbpeD8
Would be interested since all anime openings I know lack any sort of post-punk/goth sound, I'd like to hear something like this on my animes.

I remember reading an interview from a manager in the VK scene that confirmed any suspicions that this music is a manufactured product. I can't find it, but it was an interesting read and I wonder how much of it is also true in the other areas of music business.
He was explaining that older people just wrote the music for the younger bands (whose members were selected for their looks). I'm sure this is what happened for many early Dir En Grey tracks (guys from X-Japan were credited on a few of them).

Gazzette are just a boring copycat of Dir en grey's 2000s era. And not a very good one at that.
Kagerou were a better DEG copycat band.
youtube.com/watch?v=K_llkLxlpFA

Yeah I've read it too.
And it's kind of not a secret, really. Most of VK is managed by Dynamite Tommy, who was in one of the pioneer "visual" punk bands, Color, and who owns Free-Will, the company that manages artists like Dir en grey.
However, it's not that ALL of the bands have ghost writers, Dir en grey always had their own songs, Kaoru being the leader and main songwriter. Yoshiki from X Japan produced 3 singles for DEG, their major debut singles, but that was it. Before that, when they were still indies, DEG were produced by Yukiya (from the Kreis label) in at least one of their singles.
There's also certain VK artists that don't really play by anyone's rules and just do their own thing, like Mana and Kozi (ex Malice Mizer), Misa (ex Babylon) or the many, many angura kei bands.

What's the opinion on western Visual kei?
youtube.com/watch?v=mkUI-Y4svWo

The only one I like is Romantica
youtube.com/watch?v=o3E2yqlyABw

I'm a big fan of Jap psych,punk and metal, miss me with that gay anime intro shit.

>anime opening songs are ba-
youtube.com/watch?v=5mH4u-vE2kE

Attached: SIAM_SHADE_SSmag7a.jpg (500x549, 41K)

>Jap psych
I like Acid Mother Temple, could you recommend me recent similar stuff?

Dawg, Phantom Thief Jeanne used ハルカ…/カナタfrom them as it's ending theme...that dude's definitely hit a point.

>alice nine
noice, i love these guys

they put out a new thing today actually
youtube.com/watch?v=2jIKzC1rL1k

Attached: 1235335851527.jpg (600x800, 193K)

>ctr-l "boris"
>o results

let's fix that

youtube.com/watch?v=SBwK2s734DQ

i feel the gazette is so close to being good, but something about there music is missing that one thing

Technically they aren't like a horrible band, but they aren't anything special either. I remember when they appeared in the early or mid 2000s, and they were just another of the hundreds of deg-inspired bands, people called the vocalist a Kyo wannabe, and most people knew it as the band with the nose-banded bassist (or guitarist).
Then they blew up in popularity over the years.
I think a big part of that is that their management, PS Company (same as Alice Nine), pushed them really hard.

Fucking based

m.youtube.com/watch?v=51CH3dPaWXc

Malice Mizer is the only VK band.

Attached: malice-mizer-1994.jpg (1028x1000, 134K)

I'm glad Metronome is back. I wish Yuuichirou was still in the band though.
youtube.com/watch?v=iK0l7wNp3i4
I was at this show
youtube.com/watch?v=yWM1kaDVMvI

fuck yeah
youtube.com/watch?v=W3uW63JXnjU

>tetsu era
Patrician post, my friend.
I'll also add that their best songs are all unreleased material
youtube.com/watch?v=HTHIM5mGeaU

Based

Attached: tl17449731.jpg (320x240, 22K)

Attached: japlist (1).jpg (2762x1754, 883K)

First link sounds like some Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas sound the second link sounds like 90s techno mixed in very poorly with metal.

Do you like this sort of music?
youtube.com/watch?v=R4c2tGS83e4

youtube.com/watch?v=N-e-uoy1-20

Metronome have been doing their thing for a while, they formed in the late 90s.
Yeah they mix sounds of techno, electro and chiptune music with punk and metal, but also ska sometimes:
youtube.com/watch?v=FmYCyQpQedc
Or just whatever
youtube.com/watch?v=ADr9QbMAsio

Needs some ROMMEL, Saver Tiger and Gargoyle

Do you like other stuff that combines rock and electronic music?
youtube.com/watch?v=XXgOFhF_gL8

Yes, I like the MCM.
I also like Himitsu Kessha Codomo A, which are similar to Metronome in aesthetics (both of them borrowed from Uchouten anyway)
youtube.com/watch?v=2nBfC0KfuIk

That reminds me of V [NEU]. Music to me sounds like Japanese bullet hell games.
youtube.com/watch?v=IN1Uia-5rOY
youtube.com/watch?v=I5FCecUs3Ak

youtube.com/watch?v=UYQ6n3G-VvQ

Don't forget Earthshaker either:
youtube.com/watch?v=Tvp-FoiAxGw
youtube.com/watch?v=G2WEJp6T09A
youtube.com/watch?v=iF9OCscCcDE
youtube.com/watch?v=crIDYHftFsE
youtube.com/watch?v=GaUFrs_Y-KM
youtube.com/watch?v=vlEsoafzC-o

Attached: earthshaker.jpg (600x517, 50K)

Neu has a more traditionally pop-rock sound, mixed with some electronics yeah.
Metronome and Codomo A are more punk, and often have less major key structure in their songs.
There's also Uchuu Sentai Noiz
youtube.com/watch?v=v1HnGNuH6FA
Never got into them as much but they usually hang out with the metronome and codomo A guys (well, back in the day, but I think they're still going)

>plays boring three note riff in your path

DOLL$BOXX are really lit pop rock. Really tight band, high energy, really good arrangement/part writing.
Galneryus are big gay power metal if you're into that.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is guilty pleasure as fuck for me. Hype synths and fucking awful auto tuned vocals but so much energy and cringe I just dig it.
ゲスの極み乙女。are really fucking tight indie pop/rock. Everyone in the band is a fucking weapon. Really creative songwriting, great hooks, cool guitar tones, mental fucking bass lines and loads of really creative shit all focused towards serving the song.

Gesu no is tight as fuck. It really screws with people who like good indie jazz rock but hate non-English lyrics.

Oh shit I only knew them as ゲスの極み乙女。for this whole time. I've literally had that copied into a note on my desktop so I could look them up whenever I wanted to listen to them. You've just made things so much easier for me haha thanks.

Attached: 1520976218666.jpg (300x250, 40K)

I pretty much listen nothing but this band all of last summer
youtube.com/watch?v=8FopY7ZaYDY
youtube.com/watch?v=tkgIcZWuqkc
youtube.com/watch?v=YH56iAHUtCI

More metal/hardcore than anything like mainstream metal: Sunsowl - Aim High
youtube.com/watch?v=zdYlBdStd6Y

Just download the Coaltar of the Deepers discography.

please do not enjoy the things that i do

Attached: 116700_artist.jpg (140x235, 21K)

I recommend these two

Attached: topsters2.jpg (937x409, 26K)

Feel good? Are you feel good?
Are you feel good? Feel good?

This guys are great and I don't see them being posted very often
youtube.com/watch?v=D90AOhojK3M
youtube.com/watch?v=5r7yMqKH8JM
And yes the vocalist is a man

youtube.com/watch?v=r7jR1DsW56Y

Any good Jap Post-Hardcore/Emo/Math shit?

Bump
youtube.com/watch?v=nqnv24KX6lQ

>Western rock is stagnant at the moment
I disagree. By almost all measures, Western Rock and its various sub-genres are still setting trends for what rock sounds like.

The western rock of today will be the mainstay rock for Japan in a few years. It's always been that way. We've always been more progressive and innovative (at least in rock) than Japan, as far as pushing the medium goes.

That's not to say I don't like j-rock or Japanese bands. I fucking love Japanese music and a lot of my favorite rock bands are from Japan. All I'm saying is that there's a distinct lack of innovation and progression in the Japanese rock music scene. Where is the Japanese Brand New? The Japanese QoTSA? The Japanese mewithoutYou? Japanese Radiohead?

Japan is still trying to make music that sounds like America's 2006 soundscape. They've some bands like Mono, Boris, Toe, Pens+, and I love all of those bands, but they are far from actually pioneering the genres they play in (though these bands kick immeasurable amounts of ass).

Yoshiki "i'll do anything but work on that album that i have said was 90% complete" Hayashi

Attached: 28698580_1697715573600750_2834915725288182020_o.jpg (1080x1080, 123K)

Attached: 2712517.png (500x500, 680K)

bump