Is Netflix's Series of Unfortunate Events any good?

Is Netflix's Series of Unfortunate Events any good?

why was she so out of character at episode 6? it was actually distracting as fuck of how awful her character was reacting to things happening

its alright.

I hate the black comedy aspect. This is one of the few properties where they could go full on Zack Snyder grimdark and they ruined it.

If I say it's good Sup Forums will say it's bad, whereas if I say it's bad they'll complain it's actually good.

Tip: FUCK Sup Forums. Watch an episode and decide for your fucking self.

Fuck the hivemind.

if you like the books you'll probably enjoy it

if you've never read them and like comical lightly dark things you may like it

i'm not a pedophile but....where the fuck do they find this cute and sexy 13 year olds jesus christ

Wait there is comedy? I was considering starting this show because I really want a story of an ongoing grimdark shitstorm. If that's not what it is then just forget it.

I want to watch a train wreck.

>using zack syder as a positive

The entire thing is comedy. Maybe not the things happening, but the way characters act and how things fit with the narrator is definitely meant to be funny.

>Narrator: If you've never had a loved on die, you can't possibly imagine what the children were feeling
>Literally next line
>Mr Poe: I've never had anything like this happen to me, but i know JUST how you children feel

>people think Unfortunate Events is supposed to be serious

they're made in a qt factory

Yeah it's a black comedy that relies on "lol so awkward humor". It clashes with the idea of the series. In the pilot when Mr. Poe has to tell the kids their parents died in a fire the scene is played for laughs because he's "lol so awkward". Like these kids lost their parents and the writers want to play this scene for laughs. They just took the comedic aspect from the Nickelodeon movie and went with it.

It's been over 15 years since I read the books but I remember them being dark and depressing. But for all I know I could be wrong and they were probably comedic and I never picked up on it since I was a kid.

Loved it, it's not for everyone though. First episode is the worst.

>Award Winner and acclaimed actor Kevin Spacey is:

Are you gonna watch my show user?

When is this series supposed to take place? I thought it was in the early 1900s but then someone referenced the Internet

welcome reddit

It was ambiguous in the books. But nothing really "makes sense" anyways. They have submarines shaped like octopuses and tanning beds where people get flipped over with huge spatulas.

they probably misremember the books. As a kid I thought of them as this grimdark depressing shit. Now rereading and it's hilarious. To be fair count Olaf isn't as goofy as in the show though.

It might as well just be some fantasy land. It's hardly grounded in reality.

Well, the humor in books was more subtle, adaptation turned out to be more quippy and pathetic at certain episodes, most of which weren't in the original. Godawful Olaf-Jaqueline scene at the end of ep 4.

It's poorly written, pretentious garbage and it doesn't have the visual style of the film to save it.

People say that it's truer to the books than the original movie but that's hardly a good thing because the books are awful.

Wew. How Jewish is she going to look by the time she is 50?

Most of the book humor isn't really translatable to the screen.

Well that sounds lame. What a waste for a title such as "A series of Unfortunate Events".

I just want to watch a show where characters have to go through horrible shit for seemingly for no reason other then chance. Just depicting how horrible life can be, and no matter how they try to keep it together, it never gets better. Until maybe the end of the series.

That's what I would expect from a show of that title

>Implying Jewesses aren't the best looking women

what do they feed little girls to give them such full lips. its ridiculous

Jewish heritage

What makes it worse is how hard it tries to push the 'These children have such awful lives, how dreadful!' angle through the narrator.

The shit that happens to these kids is a playful romp compared to what a lot of real kids go through.

penises

It's a kids show about a kids book. If you didn't like or didn't read the books when you were younger you won't like this. As for people saying there was never humor in the book, Sunny chews on rocks, the entire book was layered in humor and satire, the story was always bleak but had reasons to make the reader (some 5th grader) laugh not some bitter Sup Forums user.

I've only watched the first two episodes so far and it's fine, but the movie was way better

its not set in any time. everything is like the 50s but even in the books they mention computers.

It's more or less that, but they made it kinda self aware. The events themselves are really fucked up and horrifying, but they don't present that in full serious fashion, more like something Tim Burtonish.

I'm going to marry Malina!!!

Can anyone tell me how to evade a ban

>black comedy
>children's show

pick one

You're behind on the times

Zack is a proven auteur. He's one of the few American directors still trying to be authentic

Looks like a tattoo of some kind. Could be one of those temporary dyes, similar to the ones they use at Indian weddings.

You're a cretin

He's got so many good films, I can't even decide which is my favorite.

There's no way her lips are natural at such a young age

>That scene at the end when she's singing and wearing a preppy school uniform

I fell in love hard

If you stopped growing sure; they better hurry up I'll cancel netflix out of spite if you become ugly

Neil Patrick Harris as Olaf is the biggest miscast ever. I would rather literally anyone else.

Beautiful AND rich!

Jews really are the master race.

I'm like 10 minutes into the first episode right now and I had to pause it because everything feels so awkward and bland

I feel uncomfortable watching this

I hate the casting in general. Olaf is not creepy or funny, the children are too young and annoying, Violet is literal jailbait, the dubbing for Sunny is stupid and shit, and the forced diversity is aggravating. Poe is black, Montgomery is Indian, Josephine is a sheboon.

>A man appears on your doorstep and tells you Malina's parents died in a mysterious fire and you are now her legal guardian for some reason

What do?

A goddess.

Put on a production of Al Funcoot's The Marvellous Marriage

>children are too young and annoying/violet is jailbait
they're the same ages as the kids in the books

>dubbing fro sunny is stupid and shit
you're 100% right

>forced diversity
lol go back to Sup Forums, none of these characters were canonically white in the books, their races weren't mentioned because it d o e s n t f u c k i n g m a t t e r except to fat autists like you ;)

How can a little girl be this sexy? Are they trying to turn me into a pedo?

reddit is that way kid

>you're n-not allowed to be on Sup Forums if you don't m-mind non-white people being in a television show

what a sensitive little cuck you are, i'm sorry a kid's TV show hurt your feelings. You should go talk to someone you care about and try to work through this tough time. I recommend taking a break from the internet; if you aren't careful you'll run into more things that shatter your pol safe space :)

I feel like there was something missing throughout the entire series. I can't really put my finger on it.

It felt like to wanted to be a hybrid of Burton and Wes Anderson but held itself back. Style and humor.

The two kids are okay, the adults are alright too except for Poe.
NPH's Olaf feels really off at times. Like I'm just watching NPH be NPH.

Never read the actual books but maybe the biggest problem is the source material is actually shit?

I remember them being popular-ish but I never knew anyone who talked about them in the same way as Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, His Dark Materials and any other books of that time.

I mean, you have to keep in mind that they're kids books. They're not shit at all, but they're not kids books like His Dark Materials, they're truly books for kids.

I liked the show overall, and I really hope kids watch it if they aren't reading the books any more. They'll learn a lot of good words.

NPH as Olaf in disguise is really fun imo, and I enjoy it a lot. But NPH as Olaf as Olaf seems really inconsistent to me, like he's a different character in every scene he appears in.

reddit is waiting

>Never read the actual books but maybe the biggest problem is the source material is actually shit?
No. First five are for set up and fast read, next four become more dark, the last four is sophisticated conspiracy thing with /pol vibes.

It's classified as a black comedy/drama on wiki

The jokes are similar to the ones you'd find in the book

first two eps were fine and then it turns to

>dude new guardian
>dude black guy doesnt believe them lmao
>dude adults lmao
>dude olaf in disguise lmao

repeat for 6 eps

lol triggered

Thankfully this ends eventually

you the triggered

you're the one who was #triggered by non-whites in your pure kids show, i'm just the one eating popcorn and laughing at your oversensitive fat ass :)

just watch something else, cuckboy. it's not hard

This stops after the first four books
Biggest problem I have with the source material honestly

It's that until the Vile Village. Then it goes full grim dark.

It's good, but not as good as the movie.

Though if you have Netflix you may as well watch it, considering it would be one of the better original series.

I'm really looking forward to the hospital and carnival books from season 2, and obviously for the collapse after vile village.

They're definitely doing way more stuff way earlier with the VFD and hints and secret shit than happened in the book, to hook people, but I hope none of the major revelations are changed in a big way. And I really hope they leave the ambiguous ending as-is.

>I'm so triggered all I can do is post may-mays
looks like you're the one who belongs on reddit, buddy boy. I'm sure you could find a thread there where your input would be more valued :)

Nah

you liked the movie? I didn't think anyone did. Cramming 3 books, even short ones, into a single film just felt fucked pacing-wise

>subtle lewd comments about Violet

What was Netflix thinking?

When?

I was going to say it doesn't make sense for their aunt or uncle to be nonwhite, but I just looked it up and they're both in laws. huh.

But the first three books follow the same tired formula, so it was probably the smart move, all things considered

Where?

I think the movie is one of the best children's movies around. The soundtrack and visuals are stellar, the story may not be paced well but it's interesting, and the acting is fantastic. It really nailed the black comedy and was Gothic like the novels.

I'm surprised when people don't like the movie. Normally people complain about it being much more lighthearted compared to the books, but that's clearly them misremembering or never read the books in the first place.

>le force diversity boogeyman

Sup Forums is that way cumskin. Diversity is the future. Adapt or die.

I should say, that as a standalone I think it's fantastic. Even the stuff with the spyglass not being resolved works - with the idea not everything in life is resolved, and it ends with the children moving on from their burned home.

If it had a sequel I don't think it would have worked.

Not today Schlomo.

Yep, they're in laws in the book as well. They actually kind of make a joke out of aunt josephine being black.

They've just met and when she tells them she's their aunt they just stare at her for a second and go "...really?"

The books don't make a point of describing anything that isn't charater-important. Often a characters mustache or outfit will be described but not their actual physical apperance. The only reason we know that the baudelaires and olaf are canonically white is because they appear in official lemony snicket-approved illustrations for the original books

who can be behind this post?

>if you hate the hivemind you should go to an even worse hivemind
lol

speaking of which, you should fuck off to reddit, crybaby. maybe the redpill sub will be to your liking

>any diversity is forced diversity!

it's stuff like this that makes it clear that it's not liberals, but you pol fags who are little cucks obsessed with having your special safe space.

the book is black comedy tho

Their races aren't alluded to in the book, though it's assumed they are white. Their characters don't change from not being white, except Pajeet because of his pooinloo accent. It's forced diversity because there's no real reason to do it except to force diversity.

>it's assumed they are white
not sure why you say that

>no real reason to do it except for force diversity
so there's no chance white actors also auditioned for the role of monty and they just liked this guy the most? no chance at all?

y'all are pathetic lol

I actually liked Josephine being black. It justified certain aspects of her character.

The characters don't change from not being white, but they also wouldn't change from being white... their race is irrelevant. Wait wait, is your actual argument that any character whose race is unimportant should just be white by default?

that's the funniest shit I've seen in days, just build yourself a lil' white pillowfort where no one can hurt your feelings

>someone out there actually believes this

They're clearly introducing the VFD earlier because every book is pretty much the same for a long while. It helps normalfags feel like it'll go somewhere eventually.

Oh yeah, I'm not complaining, it's actually a smart idea to bring in the VFD stuff earlier. Kids will be liking the show already, adults who have read the books know where it's going. Bringing in the secret VFD stuff earlier is how they hook adults who haven't read the books.

What's next for Malina's career?

Holy lel did he struck a nerve with you.

season 2 is been confirmed, right? RIGHT?