/swg/ + /fmg/ = Film Production General

Has realism ruined film and television? Exposition has gotten such a bad reputation that writers and directors omit completely instead of finding clever/natural ways to insert it and are seen as "deep" for doing so. And I'm tired of watching movies and straining to hear dialogue because the actors are whispering.

>Useful Resources: Filmmaking
filmmakeriq.com/
learnaboutfilm.com/
filmmakingessays.tumblr.com/
youtube.com/user/curtisjudd
linchpinseo.com/color-guide-designers
youtube.com/user/RJFilmSchool
youtube.com/user/DSLRguide/videos
archive.org/details/filmtechniqueact00pudo
cinema5d.com/film-color-schemes-cinematic-color-design/
docs.google.com/document/d/1Gh-fomKSuIEZ-GJo2tere4YMjsDvmmsuyiJKzQ-1ZRk/

>Useful Resources: Screenwriting
imsdb.com/
screenwriting.info/
mysterymanonfilm.blogspot.com.au/
johnaugust.com/qanda/words-on-the-page
litreactor.com/columns/writing-powerful-descriptions
cdn.writershelpingwriters.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Active-Verbs-List.pdf

>Free Screenwriting Software
fountain.io/faq
story.adobe.com/
storywriter.amazon.com/
trelby.org/
writerduet.com/
celtx.com/

>Active Contests & Other Links
screencraft.org/screenwriting-contests/
withoutabox.com/
tblaunchpad.com/
filmfreeway.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dxOECOtYeZc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Reposting yesterday's questions.

>Should it be a requirement that movies feature some sort of lesson and employ narrative techniques such as metaphor and symbolism? What separates movies like Captain America: Civil War or the original Total Recall from The Godfather or 2001: A Space Odyssey? What qualities must a movie possess to be considered "true art"? And who decides these qualities?

>not reading screenplays to get a grip on the screenwriting format
>implying people actually take artistic inspiration from scripts, which they've likely already seen the full movie of anyways
>DUDE DISHONESTY LMAO
this fuckin dude.

oh, that's why people read scripts.
I never understood why it was necessary.

What does /fmg/ think of using the golden spiral for shot composition? Me personally, I use it whenever I can use aspects of both the boxes and spiral, but I don't use it over the rule of thirds where it doesn't fit. I like to have a balance of shots composed with both methods in my projects.

Isn't the rule of thirds just a simplified version of the golden ratio?

Nope
They are kind of close, 1.61 is close to 1.66, but that 0.5 or so puts it off slightly.

The golden spiral is more complex though.

eh, who cares? The rule of thirds and golden ratio are important because they help your production from not looking ugly and amateurish, but ever since I've begun to actually notice it in film I've begun to hate it. I can't help but feel like it's lazy.

is it really all that self-indulgent if i cast a 10/10 in the role of my character's girlfriend, and it just so happens that we are the only two people that could play that role good?

>the only two people that could play that role good
impossible.

i'm the director, i make the calls!

and a shit movie

shut up

you can't omit exposition, if you knew what it was you'd realize how stupid your post sounds. that's like saying people are omitting 'dramatic tension' or 'conflict'
exposition isn't the problem
it's BAD exposition that gets a bad reputation

>you can't omit exposition
people do it all the time.

Doesn't make it right.
Channel Criswell covered this well:
youtube.com/watch?v=dxOECOtYeZc

I didn't say it was right, did you complete misread my post?

Would I watch The Lobster, Harold & Maude, and Carrie?

Why act like a dick?

I never saw those films.

go fuck yourself.

bump

>tfw no /swg/ + /fmg/ discord

then make one

I don't even have a discord desu

I don't even know what discord is, I'm just trying to keep this thread alive.

bump

bump

I will soon have an "important" gig. My KINO career up to this point has been based on animation. Could I make the jump to filmmaking or im doomed to be the kidz toon show artist for fucking ever?

Any advise on making such transition is good.

help me, oh good /fmg/.

Make an animated film.

I've already made several animated shorts, won some awards with them... but a full film is kinda keep doing animation instead of live action.

Kek. That's my post from like 2 days ago. How did you dig this up or be triggered for this long?

Define artistic inspiration. If people don't seek inspiration from screenplays and are just reading them to learn the format, then why do people read so many? Do you really need to read 200 screenplays to learn the "format?" Why read them at all, instead of reading Screenplay Format for Dummies? You fags call it a meme but keep proving it right again and again. You're being dishonest.

What's wrong with just doing animation?

never read 200 screenplays, only read a few for reference. strawmanning up the ass.

Discord is completely autistic and would ruin these threads

I appreciate op for trying to to something good on this abandoned board

If you were actually literate, you'd (personally) would have understood that the "you" (in a general sense), as a hyperbolic hypothetical example, referred to "people" in the context of the previous sentence.
Go read more literature instead of digging up posts from days ago on a Tibetan Anime Board and being triggered that hard. Maybe I hit a sensitive spot?

what the hell is discord anyway?