Remember that episode of TNG where they discovered the origin of all intelligent life in the universe but no one really...

Remember that episode of TNG where they discovered the origin of all intelligent life in the universe but no one really gave a shit?

that was a bunch of episodes of tng

remember when they discovered a literal fucking dyson sphere and no one gave a shit afterwards

>race mixing creates secret code by founding master race.

really makes you think.

i loved that episode

engineers - star trek flavor

>tfw alone in the galaxy

Why would they, beyond pure scientific trivia?
If I tell you that you share a common ancestor, 100k years ago, with some guy in Asia, Africa or the ME, would you suddenly develop a familial bond with that person?

>If I tell you that you share a common ancestor, 100k years ago, with some guy in Asia, Africa or the ME, would you suddenly develop a familial bond with that person?

If you tell me that me and that asia dudes ancestor were created by an alien race, then yeah it's a bit more than trivia you fucking idiot.

why do they always abandon these epiphany changing moments so easily?
they do this with the alien technology they encounter too. gets forgotten.

pisses me off my desu lads

tried to appeal to plebs who turn on the TV and just watch one random episode at a time, which is why episodes are rarely that connected in TNG

Because the focus of Star Trek on such events is never about how they will impact the galaxy, but rather about offering allegories about what would happen if humanity encounters such things and presenting the viewer with possible moral issues which would arise.

>TL;DR morality>practical issues

>The first two seasons of TNG are nearly unwatchable.
Is this true?

"No!"

It's not like it wasn't obvious to every race in the Galaxy for hundreds of years, I mean, hundreds of races on different planets don't just end up having 95-ish % similarity AND genetic/reproductive compatibility by pure chance.

If it's the origin of all intelligent life in the universe, doesn't that mean it's also the origin of the rape gangs?

No, they are much more experimental and creative than the later seasons. It's worth watching.

What's up with all the Star Trek threads lately? Is this the usual amount and I'm just noticing them because I'm binge watching TNG atm, or is it a sudden increase?

Remember that time in TNG they met a friendly alien who not only had access to long-distance teleportation technology, but was able to make an individual human smart enough to spontaneously invent said technology? And then he was never mentioned again?

Hadn't watched a lot of Trek since I was a kid and been running through them all in order with only a vague overall memory for the most part.

S1 and 2 are absolutely the worst for TNG but they have their occasional high point and when I started them I didn't find them THAT bad and actually enjoyed them overall. But I don't think I could go back to them after the later stuff aside from cherry picked eps.

They're better than s1 of DS9 though.

First season was more like The Original Series and alot of the characters changed from episode to episode because they were still figuring things out. Season 2 was sort of transitional. Season 3 pretty much established what TNG would be and settled the character personalities, and then 4-5-6 were the peak.

Season 7 was absolute garbage.

They could have done a series just about exploring & colonizing that Dyson sphere. Nobody on staff really seemed to realize that it's the biggest non-natural object in Trek history.

>S1 and 2 are absolutely the worst for TNG

The last season was the worst, or have you blocked out the memory of the episode about the "rape them until they like it" ghost?

Actually the very start of s7 is is where I'm up to.

Is it really worse than Shades of Gray?

I like that the Romulan instantly accepted it but was still like "Well, that makes sense. Kill yah later losers!"

>hating season 7

romulans already had a race directly related to them they dont get along with.

Here are the only good episodes in season 7:
>Parallels
>The Pegasus
>Lower Decks
>Thine Own Self
>Preemptive Strike
>All Good Things

The rest range from okay to garbage.

And no, Masks is not "kino" or whatever other buzzword you want to use this week.

S7 had a lot of clunkers, but it still had plenty of great episodes.

>no Genesis

>not liking Sub Rosa

that's like the most Trek episode ever made

Braga OUT!

TNG really was pretty shit a lot of the time. It gets too much nostalgia credit.

Everyone shits on Threshold for making the crew into lizard things but no one seems to care that worf became fucking bigfoot and barclay turned into a spider.

Sub Rosa was fucking trash, it's possibly the worst episode in the entire series, which is saying a lot considering Wesley had his own episodes. The last fucking thing I want out of a Trek episode is to watch Crusher and Troi talk about how much Beverly's grandmother liked to get fucked. That was some nasty shit.

Someone redpoll me on voyager

I've seen all of tos, tng, and ds9, and the first episode of voyager is prolly the best opening episode I've ever seen

Is it really bad? I can see it streamlining, but does it pick up on a certain arc? Like when ds9 did after the dominion war or TNGwith the borg incident

I will say I don't feel the same synergy between the voyager crew thus far

Voyager doesn't really have arcs.

It gets sexier after a sexy actress joins the show, but I can't really say that it ever gets better.

remember when Picard & friends discovered a literal fucking space face and no one gave a shit about Haskell afterwards?

the usual

they piss away the premise of them being stranded by pressing the reset button every episode. The only good parts are seven and the doctor because they are the only things that actually develop

>it's a Janeway memes herself out of an easy way home because she is too moral to take it episode

what do u mean reset button

so is every episode just anthologies of planet visitations and shit like that

>It's a Janeway genocides another race because she's fucking insane episode

I have to confess I actually like Janeway pls no buly

Relationships never seem to evolve. No matter how much damage the ship takes, it always looks brand-new by the next episode. They discuss the possibility of running out of supplies in the beginning, but they never do run out. They never replenish their supplies, they simply have infinite supplies and nobody talks about it. Side characters disappear for years because the writers forgot they exist.

The network wanted EVERY episode to be viewable as someone's first episode, so the writers rejected continuity and maybe 5% of episodes build on the events of previous episodes.

I think Kate Mulgrew would have been a great captain on a better show.

>They never replenish their supplies, they simply have infinite supplies and nobody talks about it.
But that's fucking wrong, the set up for half the episodes is them going to a planet or nebula or system to find some resource they need or other.

I hate when they feel the need to give in universe explainations for things that can clearly just be attributed to budget restraints and were never a problem to anyone with even the slightest ability to suspend disbelief.

Like this dumb episode to explain why most aliens look like humans with makeup on their face or Enterprise's idiotic shit about forehead ridges.

No one but autists even cared. It's a fucking 90s tv show, I'm able to accept that there are production limitations.

youre in for a wild ride friend. the short answer to your question is that they have a bit of a good recurring Borg plot, but it's short lived.

the long answer is prepare for a neverending cycle of wacky MOTW episodes without consistent character development episode to episode, without any consequences from any decision whatsoever!.

get ready for:

Chill Chakotay
Acootcheemoya Chakotay
Genocidal Janeway
Kegel face Janeway
Bizarro Janeway
Sassy Janeway
Bitchy Kes
Bitchy Kes
Bitchy Kes
Fuckin Neelix
Tuvok
Tuvok's Eyebrow
B'elanna's temper
B'elanna Nero, Action Hero
Tom Paris, StarScamp
Tom Paris, possible dom for harry kim
1940's Time Paris
EMH sentence intonation 1
EMH sentence intonation 2
EMH sentence intonation 3
Broccoli
Neelix's cooking stankface
DNA shenanigans
Holodeck shenanigans
Space Nazi Pirates
>AyyyLMAOs
Neverending torpedoes
A bit of Q to redeem whole seasons
7/9 =10/10

And So Much More!

I don't consider it to be a bad show, in fact it's fairly good, but I think it's the weakest Trek. However, I'm still working my way through ENT.

Voyager has quite a few faults. For one thing, it seems to take the longest of any Trek to get it's groove. Most of the characters feel a bit bland at first, either because their characteristics were recycled from other shows, or because they weren't very interesting in general. It takes a little longer for them to grow on the audience. I ended up liking Tuvok and the Doctor the most. Tuvok because I like Vulcans, and the Doctor because he is the most entertaining. Be warned though, because the Doctor acts like a bitch in much of the final season.

As far as the episodes themselves, it's pretty hit and miss. There are plenty of finely-written, memorable episodes, and quite a few dull, weak episodes. The worst one that I can remember is the one where Janeway is talking about her distant ancestor who was an astronaut who, by the way never went to space. It was the slowest, most dreadfully mind-numbing episode in the series. It was the only episode I have ever seen in the history of Star Trek that can be defined as purely filler.

Overall, I think it's worth watching, and it's still a good show in general, but it's my least favorite Star Trek series.

And then they leave the planet without getting the resources because >reasons.

How will Voyager ever survive without those precious resources??? Oh, they're just fine next week.

I agree. I like Tuvok too and even Neelix sometimes fuck Chokeogay though D E S U

Mulgrew was never a problem with that show, hell I think she was one of the strongest things in it. She gave 100% to everything she had to work with.

That just wasn't much, unfortunately.

I blame a lot of it on shitty writers personally. I still don't get why staff bullied the guy who played Harry Kim so much.

Why fuck chakotay?

So far I love janeway, Neelix is annoying (and not in a meme or sardonic way), tuvok is decent, doctor has potential, and the rest I'm so neutral on idk how to feel about it

Also elaborate on bullying harry Kim actor

Seriously was this an old Roddenberry script or what?

Because preachy MUH SPIRITS indian man gets old pretty fast

They hated him for some reason. His death was all planned out but then he got ranked as one of the hottest actors around by like TV Guide and they had to keep him.

he is the only actor in Star Trek that got refused the permission to direct an episode when he asked

>Where do I begin when it comes to answering what I thought were the missed opportunities on Voyager? I think it would be best if we go back to the beginning. When casting ended on Voyager, all the actors were invited by executive producer Rick Berman to attend a congratulatory luncheon. It was during this lunch that Berman informed us that he expected all actors portraying human roles to follow his decree. He told us that we were to underplay our human characters. He wanted our line delivery to be as military -- and subsequently devoid of emotion -- as possible, since this, in his opinion, was the only way to make the aliens look real.

>My first thought was, “That's not right! What the heck was Berman talking about? Was he pulling our legs? The human characters shouldn't be forced to muffle their emotions. We were human, not androids!” But, being the newbie in Hollywood, I did not make any objections... yet. During the entire first year filming Voyager, actors were required to re-shoot certain scenes because of excessive emotion. I personally had to re-shoot only a couple of scenes, since I learned my lesson early that crossing the writer/producers was an unwise decision. Kate Mulgrew held the record for the most re-shoots, numbering in the double digits. It is a little-known fact that during the first season, Mulgrew's Janeway had a teary eye on more than one occasion, only to be vetoed by the producers and covered up with a re-shoot. If you can allow Captain Picard to bawl his eyes out for 10 minutes over the death of his relatives in the opening of the film Generations, then how on earth can you not allow Captain Janeway the chance to show some genuine emotion?

1/2

>7/9 =10/10

>Thine Own Self
my negro

Janeway is good, but a bit nutty.
Chakotay is alright, but a bit bland.
B'Elanna is, in a manner of speaking, Voyager's Wesley.
Tuvok is solid, but he's always just 'the Vulcan'.
Tom is a manchild, 50% fun, 50% obnoxious.
Harry Kim is boring as hell.
Neelix is a bit meme-ish at first but he get much better.
The Doctor is arguably the best character through most of the show.
And Seven of Nine undergoes the most development of any character.

>Years after the initial lunch meeting, I made a comment off record to a TV Guide reporter on how upset I was over (executive producer Rick) Berman's ridiculous mandate of less emotion for the human characters. My wording to him at the time was, "I think the producers of Voyager did not take the risks to make the show as good as it could be." Even though I wasn't really specific about what the issue was, that printed comment alone sealed the death of my ambitions to direct an episode of Star Trek. Robbie McNeill was the first to direct an episode during season two. After Robbie, there was a mad rush by Robert Picardo, Tim Russ and Roxann Dawson to be the next in line to direct for season four. I felt, “Let them go ahead of me.” I was in no rush. After they all had their chance to direct during season four, I asked to direct for season five, but unfortunately the TV Guide article had just gone to print and I was turned down.

2/2

Rick Berman refused to let Garrett Wang direct, refused to promote Harry Kim or let the character grow in any way, and planned to fire Garrett because Wang snitched to TV Guide.

Reminder that the actress for Marta was seventeen years old when they shot this scene.

Man, 17 and she'd already snogged Patrick Stewart. Her love life must have nosedived from there.

>tfw you will never kiss the poo emoji guy

I can believe it. From what I've seen of him, Berman's an asshole.

SHEEV?

>Jean-Luc "French Kiss The Young Miss" Picard

"he could use the force to influence the midichlorians to create... life.

No she wasn-
>checks memory alpha
Holy shit she was

>that bro moment between the Federation and the Romulans at the end

muh dick

Which episode?

>Jean-Luc, did I ever tell you about the time a transporter accident created a clone of me? He was stranded completely alone on a planet for 8 years. Later, he became a terrorist and ended up in a concentration camp. He was a good friend.

I'm at a loss for what kind of idiot actually thinks "make everyone act duller and more emotionless" and doesn't get booted by higher authorities.

It's like... was it totally forgotten that was a HUGE problem with the first 1.5 or so seasons of TNG?

>gets extremely mad when they tried to clone him on that planet
>gets a literal double of himself

it's like poetry

He was the higher authority

Yeah I mean, a LITERAL FUCKING SPHERE? Not even Dyson actually buys that it would be a single solid object. That's insane. Rings, swarms, not a legit sphere. Just getting enough mass would basically require that it was an incredibly supermassive solar system to start and that they had the technology to harvest and utilize virtually every bit of matter.

Remember when Star Trek literally learned to harmlessly beam the age out of someone, but leave all their memories intact? You know, essentially discovering the path to immortality for as long as you want? And oh yeah, which was instantly reversible?
Yeah... they forgot all about that, too.

>consequent posts in the same thread
R A R E
A
R
E

Also, I'm probably one of five people who doesn't fap to Kidko who thinks Rascals is silly fun.

Riker wasn't just mad, he literally beamed down to the planet and murdered the clones in cold blood. An action that somehow didn't land him a court martial.

It's a rainy day and I watched some TNG today. This was one of the episodes. Dream not of today, boys.

Ah that must be the episode where the ship gets split into two, and people die but they fix it by sending the people who died on one ship over to the other one. That wasn't a bad episode, except for the bit where everybody lived. That was a bit cheap. And if they had kept consistent about their supply situation, it would have been very impactful, but naaaaaaah.

a coochie moya

Especially since, *ahem*

>Killing your own clone is still murder!

You want to do WHAT to moya?

it was at the initial stage, it was more like abortion

>hundreds of races on different planets don't just end up having 95-ish % similarity AND genetic/reproductive compatibility by pure chance.
That's because they fail at basic biology. I mean vulcans have green blood, that I assume uses a copper based analogue of hemoglobin, with radically different internal anatomy... but Vulcan/Human hybrids are a thing.

I mean fuck, even between humans, having incompatable Rh factors can lead to potentially severe pregnancy complications... but I'm supposed to believe that completely different blood chemistry just kind of washes out with no serious problems?

introducer her to the bones of my ancestors if you catch my slipstream

Season 1 is literally pleb filter. The second season was hamstrung with the writer's strike.

Most vulcan/human hybrids didn't make it.

Spock was meant to be the only one.

Do you think Pilot and Areyn ever got it on?

user Barkley's mutant flu wasn't the key to getting everyone safely home... it was just another day in starfleet.

Threshold crosses the retard barrier so many times.

They pretty much always say that it requires medical intervention for it to work, and sometimes gene therapy. Still kinda silly, but given that they have a shared genetic ancestry, that helps.

Still complete nonsense, but remember. It's just a show, and you should really just relax.

>tfw Voyager was literally a containment show for all the Star Trek garbage
>tfw Deep Space Nine was only so good because Michael Piller was smart enough to realise Brannon Braga and Rick Berman were retarded sex pests that needed to be kept at an arms distance

Abortion is murder though

FOR INSTANCE: They have a functional Warp 10 drive, and the ability to easily reverse the crazy ass changes that it produced. NEVER MENTIONED AGAIN.