So why did the average house size go up even though the average family size went down?

So why did the average house size go up even though the average family size went down?

Can we blame this on the Boomers?

a "big" house is the equivalent to yuppies such as buying an expensive car, just something to tick off their list so that they can say they have "status"

in reality most of those "big" houses feature very fucking small back yards with less than 10 feet of space between the house next to them.

The modern yuppie dream is pic related

>L-living the dream...
It is fucking hilarious that people pay out the ass to live in overcrowded "neighborhoods"
I may drive an hour to work (not counting traffic delays) but I have a yard big enough to have a 400m rifle range.

Houses got bigger because we got fatter

do you need a permit to shoot guns in your own yard?

no.
Just need enough land to shoot on, which varies from state to state

>permit
>private property
>America

>houses get bought
>houses get passed down to family members
>houses are all full so more need to be built
>since houses are being passed off to offspring and family, the only house 'sales' are the bigger houses the parents buy after ditching the family abode
>"people are only buying big new houses"
>start making more and more neighbourhoods of big new houses
>options become rent a shitty apartment or buy an enormous house
>problem feeds itself cyclically as businesses push to sell the things that already sell instead of the things people will need in the future

My county tried to ban it using zoning regulations, mostly the yuppie fucks that bought houses on the border of the county.
But no no permit needed, not even to construct the range, I have a reasonable backstop and 50 acres of land.
I didn't even need a permit to construct a Shed and a benchrest with a shelter. I even put down a 10x30ft slab of concrete to have a solid shooting platform and a 20ft high dirt backstop.

It was not uncommon in the suburbs of Los Angeles for poor white to have 4 to 6 kids in a two or three bedroom house prior to 1970. Mexican's don't seem to be doing that in houses at least because they are so transient.

Isnt that how white societies are built? Right next and on top of each other? Its degenerate to live so close its like japan hotels

I don't think I could live in such a soulless sprawl, despite how grim it can get in the UK, knowing my house is made from wood and polystyrene would just be soul crushing.

>New houses

You know America's ghettophication was in full effect in the 70s. So more poor people's houses were being built which is what is driving the average down.

I'd buy a piece of property and make a tiny ass house but there's probably some regulation against that in my city/state.

>Mexican's don't seem to be doing that in houses at least because they are so transient.
??? mexicans do it everywhere they can. t. los angelean

urban living is preferable to suburbans. such a fucking abortion of a 'culture'

I wasn't raised in a urban, or even suburban area, when I was a child, my nearest neighbor was a half mile down the road. The suburban model that we see today is based on the Baby boom property explosion, before that you either lived in the city, or out in the country.
DESU, when I first saw these kinds of neighborhoods, I was disgusted. No yard to relax in, no privacy and the houses are overpriced. No wonder people have no money, they buy an ugly big house with no yard, huge mortgage and they can't even enjoy their land. I rarely leave my property to recreate. I can ride my dirt bike, shoot my guns, have cookouts etc. They think going out is the norm, blowing all their cash to use someone else property to play sports, etc.

Because americans are retarded and value size over quality. They get rid of gardens and frontyards to make the house bigger so they can fill it with expensive shit they don't use and have rooms for people that will never be born.

Massive increase in house building efficiency, both material and labor wise.

They don't build it to last, but they build it fast.

It's called we are becoming wealthier as a nation

living in a small town in the middle of nowhere but still within city limits is truly the worst

no yard, no privacy, no urban perks, just meth, pepsi, and hostess snack cakes

but you can fuck off to the non city limits nowhere and hunt or fuck around on atvs or whatever

>mexicans do it everywhere they can. t. los angelean
They aren't usually home owners. The real poor ones with lots of kids have more than one family to a apartment or rented house.

I've been in them before. Kinda sad with working family coming and going at all hours and school aged kids up until 2 or 3 in the morning because the adults don't give a fuck because of their hours.

Lol, I agree. Yuppies invaded a small town off of the highway and ruined it, now hipsters live in the old town, and the white collar fools are buying $1M houses on zero land just outside of it. They just built a harris-teeter outside of "historic downtown"
Those fucks are sending my property tax rates thru the roof.

>They get rid of gardens and frontyards to make the house bigger so they can fill it with expensive shit they don't use
Right and when they fill that up they have to rent a storage unit to put all the other things they don't use. Then they have no money for savings and lots of worthless outdated "luxury items."

>implying they dont get mortgages
>implying the banks think theyre less lucrative than whites since they hold so many illegitimate jobs aside from the official jobs they have
home owning is a meme. there are tons of 'home owners' though; i hear them brag about it all the time. it makes them feel white or american or something.

You can do whatever you want, so long as you Follow The Codebook™

But if in a residential area, they probably will to keep the real estate value

it's because your family size went up, just not your head count.

No just need to be far enough away from a major road and have a backstop

fucking scorched

>driving an hour to work

idiot

This actually bugs the shit out of me. I blame it on greed. Builders want to make $150,000+ on their investment, so they build houses that cost them $200,000 and sell them for $350,000+ instead of making $35,000 or whatever, building $85,000 homes and selling them for $120,000.

Sounds like a non-issue. Means people have more money to spare. My parents just built a 3br 3ba for over a million, and they live by themselves. Not like we're running out of land or anything.

outside of specified city limits not actual city limits, 1/4 mile from structures without permission(if you get permission you're fine.) Not over roads.

And I think when EXTREME fire risks they place temporary shooting bans on public land.
NEEDLESS EXTRA INFO

The city one is really lenient as for it's like centralize city and not the actual city limits. Because there are some areas in near downtown that could actually pass the other two rules but you really don't want to be at work listening to people in 1/4 mile small field mag dumping all day.

So (((builders))) and (((developers))) could fleece more money out of customers

/thread

Damn son, fukkin rekt

I'm not giving up my little slice of heaven on earth just so I can "Save" half an hour. Besides, if I really wanted I could telecommute most days.
But you wouldn't know what that feels like because your country is packed full like a tin of sardines.