Was hair metal really as terrible as it was made out to be...

Was hair metal really as terrible as it was made out to be, or was it a meme started by people who worshiped smelly junkies who put a loaded shotgun in their mouth?

Attached: Promo_Poison.jpg (500x337, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jU11NcH7nHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-_XicGGkk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's pretty great desu. Most 80s metal is from Sodom to Ratt to Posion to Accept to Destruction.

youtube.com/watch?v=jU11NcH7nHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-_XicGGkk
If manufactured bands who were obligated to release a "credibility track" for the rock radio stations and a power ballad for the pop station is something you can respect, more power to you. At least there were some accomplished instrumentalists in the genre.

It's still among us today, only it's called trap and they don't play a guitar.

Do you need someone to tell you what your musical tastes are? Sounds pretty autistic to me. Are you in high school or something? Grow up kid.

As a legitimate form of rock music, it was really only a thing from 1982-85. After that, it turned into a self-parody with one manufactured group after another making the same generic songs and even some old 70s veterans returning from irrelevance to churn out Desmond Child-penned power ballads.

Most of it was shit that was the metal equivalent to stuff like Journey but there were a few good ones in the crop, most of them more on the fringes of it like Van Halen or WASP

They fact that they had to keep taking about how "bad" it was just shows that it was a meme.
If something was truly shit, you don't need to keep trying to convince people, they would figure it out themselves.

This. The whole "hair bands are bad" meme started when the industry wanted to push Grunge. Same thing with the Nickelback hate.

>Just turn off your brain
Their target market, in flesh.

Whitesnake [Geffen, 1987]

The appeal of this veteran pop metal act has got to be total predictability--the glistening solos, the surging crescendos, the macho love rhymes--each one new, yet somehow heard before. Who cares if they're an obscure nine year old vehicle for the guy who fronted Deep Purple five years before that? Rock and roll's ninth or tenth "generation" of frightened high school boys can claim them as their own. May they pass from the ether before the current crop of 11 year olds sprouting pubes claim their MTV. D+

Slip of the Tongue [Geffen, 1989]

They've gotten lucky and they don't intend to let go. With fast hand for hire Steve Vai operating all guitars and God knows what other assorted geegaws, they've consolidated the essence of all arena--pomp, flash, male sentimentality. This is now the worst band in the world. So you just move over, Journey. (Hey? Where is Journey anyway?) D

Attached: christgau1med.jpg (400x266, 18K)

Who are you quoting?

>hair metal isn't complicated
>music should be treated like art. Drink up soy, sit down, and think about it
lol

It was a bit naff, but at least it was fun, now your pumped out, dime-a-dozen bands are all shite "indeh" bollocks with the testosterone level of an ovary. It's boring. At least the Hair Metallers had some energy.

>Most of it was shit that was the metal equivalent to stuff like Journey
Yeah hair metal pretty much took over from those 70s arena rock groups. The hair metal guys were younger and more amenable to the MTV age.

wtf I hate music critics now

It's okay i thought GnR were cool when I was 13 too...

In The Heart of the Young [Atlantic, 1990]

The appalling pall that pop metal casts over 1990's abysmal Hot 100 is a triumph of mass narrowcasting. By carefully downplaying any accidents of gender, socioeconomic background, or subgeneration, it is in theory possible for any passive Caucasian under 25 to consume (in descending order of marginal differentiation) Heart or Jon Bon or Cheap Trick or Warrant or David fucking Cassidy. Winger are Whitesnake with the sexism muted and the facelifts down the road, their feigned vulnerability and youthcult rote masking their will to power. They may last a while, they may not. They're so bad that they're not even completely terrible. C-

I mean, he's not wrong.

Check out some stuff from that era. It's not super fucking awful, it's just manufactured pop music with a bit of an edge, it's that they were the "hardest" thing sonically that you'd hear on radio and TV that wasn't something outlandishly bizarre to most. So when your hardest pop stuff is pop metal, when Guns 'n' Roses came along they were fucking revolutionary because they were very much straightforward hard rock, so everyone starts switching to their style, then Nirvana comes along and the whole thing just goes huge.
GnR are hard rock, though. Stylistically and musically there's a big difference between them.

The generic songs and production so slick you could eat off of it was pretty bad.

BTW, check out Poison S/T--it's a real treat since they recorded the album on the cheap and didn't have the time to slick it up--it sounds really raw.

>doesn't like GnR
Wanna know how I know you're a soyboy?

>soyboy
>soyboy
>soyboy
>every fucking thread
Is anyone else getting reeealllly tired of this meme already?

>t. soyboy

Just Sup Forums leaking in here.

I would if I was a soyboy.

Attached: uWx62iWzES-iABbvPeFE8hfcksH4OsbKH1Zys9XfdpY.jpg (600x600, 63K)

>production so slick
I don't get this opinion. I can't consider any 80's recording "slick", they all sound murky to me, too much reverb and chorus. Basically what passes as 'indie' these days.
Pop and rock recordings from the early 00s to now is what I consider slick. Overcompressed, wide and upfront.

>I don't get this opinion. I can't consider any 80's recording "slick", they all sound murky to me, too much reverb and chorus
The thing about 80s pop production is that it de-emphasized melody in favor of an up-front rhythm section. This was in contrast to 60s-70s pop which was very melodic and had a weak beat.

holy fuck the taste on this board is such shit

sorry, we'll go back to discussing rainbow haired 69 face man in a minute.

t. nusoy cuckmale

Poison had two good songs, but hair metal just plain sucks!