Doctor Who General - /who/

The Girl In The Fireplace Edition

Flipped Off The Castle Walls:

have a good day user

7th Doctor and Ace are the gold standard for platonic physical affection

Who likes Reinnette?

>platonic

I agree with this post but I don't think I have anything to add.

the hoodie/jacket combo is so good, makes him look like a big boy too

GOAT OUTFIT
O
A
T

not sure what I hate more refugees or Peter Harness' writing ability

don't you have a country to run mr turmp?

EPIC XD

Moff why are we shooting all my scenes first

Moffkino. It's the second instance of one of my favorite Moffat tropes, stupid machines running out of control without human supervision. Also Madame de Pompadour is a proto-Amelia.

this might just be me but did Kill the Moon have themes about abortion

like I get it was really subtle and i only noticed it on my seventh re-watch this year, but it think it does. nuanced

this might just be me but did The Zygon Invasion/Inversion have themes about immigration

like I get it was really subtle and i only noticed it on my seventh re-watch this year, but it think it does. nuanced

Harness' work is truly kino

Come on, it's platonic.

Nah the Doctor bangs all his female companions.

Fire Murray Gold. Doctor Who needs a complete music score overhaul. Let's have a 21st century version of that sweet, sweet electronic music of the past. While we're at it, be modest in its use. Right now we get manipulative, maudlin music every goddamn second it seems.

Wasn't there a rumour that he's stepping down with Moffat?

>manipulative,
Honestly don't understand what people mean this. That it's trying to make you feel something specific? Isn't that 99% of art?

Maybe people feel like it's unearnt? Like instead of having solid, dramatic writing they rely too much on the music to impose the elicit they want.

>Implying the First Doctor never fisted Ian

DELETE THIS

Exactly this. Music was more atmospheric in the original run, never a front and center feature of a scene. Ever since the show returned the music wants to be like Star Trek or Star Wars while having feelings.

>impose the elicit
lol, I decided "elicit was a better word than "impose" but I replaced the "emotion" with it instead. I'm such a goose

I mean the flipside is that the show is very good at storytelling through music. The example I always remember is from The Big Bang; the sharp turn toward slapstick comedy in the soundtrack that links "I could use a ridiculous miracle about now" to the Doctor popping up.
Anyway, I don't want a Capaldi era that doesn't feature lots of "A Good Man?"

>Music was more atmospheric in the original run, never a front and center feature of a scene.
I mean, that's true, except maybe for some of the scenes like the Cybermen breaking out of their tombs, but NuWho has music that's worth putting front and center. You're right, the music in the Classic Series usually did provide good atmosphere, but I find it hard to criticize Gold's music for being more memorable and emotionally intense.

>78722041
It's all very "X happens *and then* Y happens". The evil organization searches for the very very special individual in care of the MC.
Look for an original theme (not necessarily a message)
>Try and think of what ways it can be written with what you think are the particular strengths of Doctor Who that you won't find somewhere else
>Write just the essential characters for that
>Plan their necessary character development
>This means writing the settings (usually monsters and/or power-mad conspirators) in such a way as to bring to light the flaws in each character (or various characters at once, but in *different* ways) that should be fixed according to the theme you chose
>Then write the overcoming of such flaws, either by (subtle! and slowly-established!) dialogue, non-convenient epiphany, struggle, or desperation
>When each character's flaws are approached to an adequate level, only then have they the necessary character development to conquer the big bad (or big bad event) of the series arc

Remember not to just show the flaws being overcome by dialogue - dialogue will never be as powerful or universal as facing and then learning how to overcome personal flaws through scenes and arcs.
On the one hand, being too obvious and smacking the same issue through direct dialogue or references every two or three episodes is going to alienate the audience - even if it's not out-of-tone or out-of-context, underestimating the audience's intelligence or attention is how you get lower ratings and viewer counts.
But trying to be subtle without an actual sense of tact can lead either to misinterpretation, the audience being unable to follow, or simply the old "things don't sound as good on your head as they do on paper" issue. In which case, the plots and arcs are lost to everyone except you and your definition of the themes and characters that were poorly established for the audience and are.

Understanding people on an emotional level is very important.

Here's my two favourite examples, as I think the Ninth and Tenth Doctor had very solid character development without being too obtuse or alienating - though I admit Ninth's was more rushed (he only had the one season after all) and done in a campier way:

>Eccleston had his grieving and PTSD of the Time War, and we were directed to reflect on those character points by just a couple of lines of dialogue that were very spread out, in-tone, in-context, and then by episodes where we see the emotional reaction to a scene that directly touched on the subject matter of his PTSD (Both "Killer yourself" in 'Dalek', and "Everybody lives!" in 'The Doctor Dances'). In the end, his decision to accept what happened along with a lesson that he could still spread good, that the Universe still offered chances for hope and optimism, is what ended up explaining on an emotional level his decision to give up his regeneration to stop the Daleks and, more importantly, to save Rose.

>Tennant's arc had him coming to terms with his decision to commit double genocide by establishing his repressed egocentric, unforgiving demeanor starting from the first episode ("No second chances, I'm that sort of a man), as it culminated in the Time Lord Victorious thing which was the focus point in 'The Waters of Mars' - and then having him be directly confronted by those personal flaws, thus accepting what he did. This acceptance, in turn, ended up allowing him to take the third choice besides killing The Master/stopping Rassillon's final solution and not succumbing to despair or megalomania. His regret that he wouldn't personally resolve his personal flaws within his regeneration are the reasoning behind "I don't wanna go".

I'm sorry, I meant to respond to Gallifrey_Immigrant. I'm the one who called his story proposal "quite cliché".

Is it me or does Matt Smith's run feel like shite? Maybe it's because I rushed it but only the first season was good.

It's you.

Moffatt was the chosen one going into S5 and S5 is easily one of the best overall seasons of the modern show. After that stuff got rocky.

I actually liked the tight plotting of S6A but U tremendous articles questioning its complexity, saying it got too confusing to watch. Hogwash I say. It was easy to understand then and still is now.

It went to shit with the second half. I am not sure if Moffat wanted to make Doctor Who the way it was from S6B through S8 but I know that he shines in longer form and when he gets to let loose. Hence why S9 was his best since S5.

It's easier once you get used to the 'fairy tale' feeling of it. I liked it for the occasional feels and the timey-wimey arcs. Amy and Rory were great. I somehow warmed up to River Song. Clara's "Impossible Girl" thing almost ruined the show for me, but her character in series 8 and 9 fixed it.

Let's rank the series 9 stories, "/who/"
>Magicians Apprentice/Witch's Familiar
>Face the Raven/Heaven Sent/Hell Bent
>Husbands of River Song
>Under the Lake/Before the Flood
>Girl Who Died/Woman Who Lived
>Zygon Invasion/Zygon Inversion
>Sleep No More

(Don't know why I put the quotes, sorry about that. It's 5AM and I'm taking a break from studying for finals)

>mfw people say Clara in Series 7 was better

She had basically 0 character or development. Just fodder for that retarded arc. So glad they dropped anything to do with that when Capaldi came on board.

Heaven Sent
Hell Bent
Face the Raven
The Girl Who Died
The Zygon Invasion/The Zygon Inversion
The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar
Under the Lake/Before the Flood
The Woman Who Lived
Sleep No More

What went wrong

with his entire era

He was the last jedi

Thank you, user. I needed this to start my day.

Is there a more qt ace than in Greatest Show? I think not

S5 is matt's only good series

The fairytale tone was poor direction

>S5 is matt's only good series

But that's true.

prove me wrong (you cant)

they didn't let him use his scottish accent
seriously though, what was the point of changing his accent? eccleston used his own. what was the reason for changing?

1. Heaven Sent
2. The Magician's Apprentice
3. Hell Bent
4. The Zygon Inversion
5. The Zygon Invasion
6. The Witch's Familiar
7. Face the Raven
8. Before the Flood
9. The Girl who Died
10. The Woman who Lived
11. Husbands of River Song
12. Under the Lake
13. Sleep no More

Too human, fake accent, love story with girl 50 times younger than the Doctor, too much soap opera tears, GREEN AND ORANGE filters everywhere and lard on the camera

Overly sentimental, self indulgent tosh for tweens and tumblrinas.

But the Doctor was cute. CUTE!!

the only hot Doctor

will there ever be a scarier episode?

The only Doctor Who episode that really spooked me was Forest of the Dead when Donna is in the computer world.

ayy lmao

Confirmed Series 10 titles

A Star In Her Eye by Steven Moffat
? by Frank Cottrell-Boyce
? by Sarah Dollard
The Haunted Hub by Mike Bartlett
A Nightmare Visits by Jamie Mathieson
Extremis by Steven Moffat
? by Peter Harness
The Lonely Satellite by Toby Whithouse
The Eaters of Light by Rona Munro
? by Mark Gatiss
? by Steven Moffat
? by Steven Moffat

>Extremis by Steven Moffat
>? by Peter Harness
I have it on good authority this is a two parter written by different writers.

Listen was spoopy

Remember the Boneless freaking me on 1st watch.

I miss /who/

Listening to Doctor Who music right now and feeling sad and nostalgic...

I want to watch Tennant era Who and at the same time I want to watch some old serials that involve Gallifrey and the Time Lords and all the mishaps they got into with the Doctor.

I love you guys.

that makes you a bit gay mate

>implying /who/ isn't 90% grills

>and 10% tranny

new episodes when?

>tfw the Doctor actually meets Whoopi Goldberg and she's playing herself in the episode

GOAT

Rewatching Unquiet Dead. Weakest episodes in their respective series?

You could say that about any Mark Gatiss episode.

>Madame de Pompadour is a proto-Amelia
Yeah, except Amelia >>>>>>>> Madame de Pompadour.

Compare
>A stranger broke into my house. What should I do? Why, make out with him, of course!
vs
>A stranger broke into my house. What should I do? Knock that asshole out with a bat and handcuff him.

This episode never worked for me, mostly because I didn't buy into the romance. Why would you fall in love with the creepy dude that broke into your house when you were a kid? My least favorite Moffat episode (still good tho).

Pertwee trips for truth.

The Gatiss episode in Series 10 is now CONFIRMED for being shit.

>Pertwee trips for truth
This is a tongue twister

I quite like Idiots Lantern and The Crimson Horror's fun.

>seriously though, what was the point of changing his accent? eccleston used his own. what was the reason for changing?
RTD said he "didn't want for Doctor's accent to be travelling all over Britain"

well that stupid

Crimson Horror is unironically the best episode in S7

Mycroft let himself go
is it a bit up himself for gattis to write a character that he portrays himself?

My name is Jeff.

not when that character is usually the biggest cunt in the episodes hes in

Rumour has it the 12th Doctor is meeting legendary writer Gareth Roberts in an episode of Series 10 in an episode titled 'The Fourth Wall'

I remember being scared shitless when Midnight came out, I was 13 at the time.

At this point it's become a game to see how hard he fucks it up and whether he can actually pull off a half decent episode for once. I find it positively exciting

So I haven't watched since episode 3 with Capaldi. How has he been and how have his episodes been?

He's been good, but his episodes have been average

Just average?

Yeah. 'The Caretaker', S8E06, was probably one of the best in the entire show though. A perfect script.

Pretty good. Episode 4 is one of the best.

>misleading new people meme
Stop it. This user is trolling btw. It's a decent episode but not "one of the best in the entire show"

>user

Capaldi kinda grows on you. After s9, he's now my favourite new Who Doctor.

All his episodes have been good to excellent, except for In the Forest of the Night, Kill the Moon and Sleep no More. (These you could easily skip).

>These you could easily skip
You can't skip Kill The Moon.
It has important character moments.

What does that even mean?

The irony of protesting a 'patriarchal' state, in a country with two female heads of state, whilst the protest is being endorsed by the state broadcaster.

You can skip it, but only if you also skiip the brilliant Mummy On The Orient Express. Luckilly, Flatine is just as good

>skipping mummy

>three months away from Series 10
>know fuck all about it and havent had filming pics for months
Feels grand, father.

We knew way too much in Series 8 and 9 only from filming.