Why do people consider this a bad movie?

Why do people consider this a bad movie?

It's just really weird.

But that can be a good thing

Because it was nothing except M. Night jerking himself off the entire time. His cameo was him playing himself as "the most important writer to ever live and who's writing will change the world". He even made sure to only kill a film reviewer in it since he was so butthurt about The Village reception

>tfw i liked M.Nights previous work and convinced my friends to go see it with me and they called me a faggot for months

one of the most pretentious movies ever made

It backfired because the critic was genuinely the only entertaining character in the movie.

The Village wasn't even that bad of a movie. It's problem is that it was marketed wholly as a horror film and it's not at all what it was. It was just a psychological drama with a blind girl inna woods with da tweest.

I don't know about Lady in the Water though. It got panned so hard it never even showed up on television.

Not in this case.

It's self indulgent dogshit. He wrote himself into the movie as a great writer that will change the world and was so butthurt about negative reviews of The Village that he had a film critic character in the movie get eaten by a wolf.

Because it was a bad movie.

Pretentious how?

Do you really think he thought he was the most important writer in the world?

It definitely seems like he disappeared up his own ass after Signs.

Nobody in this thread has made an actual argument. All just personal gripes with Shayamalan

The movie is based off a fairy tale he would tell his daughter. If I was him I'd put myself in the movie as well. He did a decent job playing the character too.

How?

Story is interesting and fun, good for children. Paul Giamatti is really good and a joy to watch. Bryce Dallas Howard is best girl. Cinematography and score are great too.

solid 6.5/10

It's actually not that deep man. It's just a fairy tale.

By making shit movies and ignoring people when they told him screenplays weren't working.

He bought his own hype and started believing he was a genius.

>The movie is based off a fairy tale he would tell his daughter.
What an awful idea. No wonder Disney refused to finance it.

What does "working" mean?

If they are what he wants them to be then they are working. It's art. It's subjective. He makes what he wants to make. If you don't like it that's cool. It's not for you.

This, Shymalan started getting praise from everywhere after Sixth Sense calling him "the next Spielberg", Shyamalan is a perfect example of why you should never read reviews of your own shit

I bet his daughter loved it. Fuck yourself and go back to your Star Wars thread

Which is a nicer way of saying “he made this shit up as he went along so it doesn’t make any god damn sense and it doesn’t matter because the whole point of it is to put you to sleep.”

If you make part of your """""""art""""""" a petty jab at some critic at the expense of plot and tone, then maybe you need to reevaluate what you are doing.

Kek. Fuck his daughter, fuck him, and fuck you retard.

>I bet his daughter loved it.
Who cares? I bet Robert Rodriguez's kids loved Shark Boy and Lava Girl. Doesn't make them good movies.

>The Sixth Sense
Oh shit! That's a wicked nice twist!

>Unbreakable
Shamalamadingdong does it again!

>Signs
Haha, okay, goddidit, nice.

>The Village
This is a hot pile of garbage.

>Lady in the Water
This is a flick at best.

>Uh-vatar

It didn't put me to sleep. And it was pretty straightfoward shit. Made enough sense

What's a "good" movie?

Movie critics are faggots. Is this reddit?

>movie critics are faggots so stopping your movie in its tracks to talk shit about them is okay

It's funny, cathartic, and was a part of the story.

It is okay. Because it's his movie.

The Village is a decent movie. Last airbender, Happening and After Earth were all shit.

Split is great though

This is probably the most irritating thing about the movie and it's always used as a defense. It all comes back to this bed time story gimmick and the fact that bed time stories are something you make up on the spot to put a kid to sleep. They are not something you spend a hundred million dollars on and make a person pay money to watch for 2 hours. I know Shyamalan is into this idea of the magic of storytelling and storytellers and he even has the lady in the water be named “Story.” But bedtime stories, by definition, are half-assed bullshit with no effort involved that are considered more successful if they are boring. So the idea of a feature length bed time story is an insult. He should have left the stories in his kids room and written a coherent fucking script.

>Split is great though
No it's not.

>The Village is a decent movie
I've literally never heard anyone say this or anything equal or better than this about The Village.

>If they are what he wants them to be then they are working.
If that's the case then every movie ever made where the director was satisfied with the final product is a good movie you fucking retard.

>Main character must lay down on a couch and drool, pretending he's a little kid for a thai granny to tell him a story
>A young boy can tell prophecies from looking at serial boxes
>Shyamalan wrote himself as a writer whose writing will save the world
>There's a movie critic character that points out everything wrong with the movie, but he gets killed off for being """obnoxious"""
>The """twist""" is that some guy we met for one minute early in the movie and forgot all about is the hero of the story and not the main character

It's so goddamn ridiculous it's entertaining to watch. It's like it was written by a seriously disturbed mental patient.

Monster Trucks- concept based off of studio execs 4 year old kid

The Lady in the water- concept from made up stories told to his kids

Avatar Last Airbender- picked up only because his kids were into it

Strange Magic- George Lucas wants to make a "girls movie" for his daughter

Shark Boy & Lava Girl- concept from R.Rodriguez son

am I missing any?

Hook, I think, began when the screenwriter's kid asked him what would happen when Peter Pan grew up.

I think Chris Stuckman did in his review

It's an average fantasy movie hindered by Shyamalan's constrained visual style.
The most offensive part of it is the scene where every other character insults the Film Critic for being wrong, even though he was 100% RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING

This is the one with the real annoying Korean exposition lady right? I fucking hated that bitch.

I like The Village.

What's his meme?

The VIllage is great.
On rewatches it is definitely the Elders's movie.

I actually find the premise and aesthetic of this movie really weird and compelling. Think I'll download and watch it now.

It doesn't sound like something a director should be mocked or criticized for making. Strangeness is so rare these days, it should be celebrated.

anyone else just really liked the soundtrack?

>>I actually find the premise and aesthetic of this movie really weird and compelling.

You know what? it's the exact same deal with me! I've looked at photos of the film on imdb and it looks really beautiful, I should actually give it a watch too.

Not if it makes you uncomfortable to the max. Placing yourself away from the norm can present an interesting feel, but he went past interesting into uncomfortable.