With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result...

>With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters

>Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away.

>but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

>And as the day wore on, the enormity of [the] step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais [...] the list grew and grew.

>The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

>The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

>Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

>Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

>The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

>When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never".

>All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

This was a cut-down version for character limit reasons. I suggest reading the full comment in the image.

Other urls found in this thread:

publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmpubadm/422/42204.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=l9rmHPmnnKw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>they thought this would be easy

If they do not enact the will of the people peacably, we will make them enact it violently.

Hi MI5.

Opinion: The Article

Right. It's a reader comment, not an article.

Time for you Britons to stop binning your knives and start depositing them into the bodies of the Remainers.

It will be. Juncker said he wants the official letter within the next week.

As much as I think you Brexiters just sound like you're taking your ball and going home because the brown kid was mean to you, I do actually think it would be monstrous bullshit for parliament to jew you out on this one. The will of the people should be followed.

Pack your bags, Bartosz

>government says brexit is not possible
>suddenly Her Majesty The Queen dissolves her corrupt parliament and invokes article 50 as head of state for the good of the people
>monarchy successfully restored

and then all the people rejoiced

wanking furiousllllrslly .. til the MI5 come an arrrest me ..

Don't worry lads. I've been robbing bike wheels all week, if you guys need spares I got some.

While the overwhelming majority of the Queen's prerogative powers are devolved to her ministers, there is one exception that allows her to wield power herself. Only "in grave constitutional crisis," the Sovereign can "act contrary to or without Ministerial advice."

>this could actually happen

publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmpubadm/422/42204.htm

This sounds like a plausible scenario, though I don't know much about the actual legalities of the process.

There's already a massive amount of butthurt and social shaming of the Leave voters, as well as a massive amount of growing uncertainty and fear. If this continues for a few months, the tension could become unbearable for many Brits and a growing number may demand that they Remain just to get some stability back (or it may just be portrayed that way in the media.)

The major establishment media seem solidly for Remain, and so every story connected to this will show the Leave vote (and voters) in a negative light.

The eventual rejection of Brexit (and perhaps Trump as well) could be painted as a rejection of 'hate'.

Not happening, shill. Take your "shaming" back to your safe space. The EU officials have initated the proceedings.

Not everyone who has a different opinion is a shill. I'm for Brexit and have been since I heard about it. I just agreed it was a plausible scenario.

As far as I know, the British parliament have to officially initiate proceedings via atricle 50 or whatever, not the EU, even though the EU may make a lot of noise. The referendum by itself is not legally binding so the EU cannot do anything but complain until it is made official.

Eh this is probably true, the young people will always win in a violent world. Its Darwinian.

They can live in a compromised bitter country with no ideals except selling out I guess, see how long that lasts, hope they like Londonistan, a Saudi Arabia West might make more sunshine? Lots of exciting beheadings and hand chopping too!

Retarded burger here. What's Article 50?

Please dumb it down for my burger and freedom soaked brain.

Nice dubs.
The part of the Lisbon treaty that says how a member state can trigger leaving the union.

youtube.com/watch?v=l9rmHPmnnKw

Dumb it down further.... who says yes or no to leaving?

Her majesty and family are crypto-kikes.

>Tommy Mair offs an MP without atmosphere that emboldens revolutionary violence
>Thinking this wouldn't embolden a million tommies

>Even though we lost... IF YOU LOOK AT IT THIS WAY... We're ACTUALLY WINNERS!

You think they didn't know all of these things were possible (and likely) in the face of their decision?!?!

You REALLY BELIEVE that some no-named nobody from "No_Sauce Inc." making a (what looks to be) a Reddit post has a greater understanding of what can and may happen than the VERY MEN WHO STAKED THEIR PROFESSIONAL LIVES ON IT?

All this salt and arrogant hubris... I've never seen so much of it concentrated in such a short span of time.

Thanks Britbros! It's been marvelously entertaining and educational.

Imagine if Trump wins... I may have to buy an old 1950's fallout shelter/Bunker to survive the blastwave from several hundred-million anuses rupturing in succession!

Fellow semi-redpilled burger here

The referendum was just that; something to refer to. It does not actually do anything besides indicate to the Parliament where the country stands.

Article 50, from what I understand, is the official executive order that must be enacted for Britain to leave the EU. It contains the thorough process of leaving.

As to how Artitle 50 literally gets enacted step by step, Id like to know as well. I think it's an executive order by the PM.

We'll see. God that'd be fucked if they just said fuck it

the leader of your country is a darkie

The UK government would formally trigger the procedure. After that negotiations start, during which we will still be part of the EU. These negotiations can take at most two years, unless there is a unanimous agreement from all states to extend them.

Our government is not, strictly speaking, legally bound to actually start this. They could decide to ignore the referendum and stay. The comment I posted in the OP considers this a realistic possibility; others are sure it would provoke actual riots.

And if they say nevermind thanks for your opinions it's possible your queen can say uh no we're doing what the people want to them?

I should point out that I quoted it without further comment, although in fairness I did then post this .

My actual thoughts:
* It is unlikely that there would be full-blown riots in the event of an un-brexit, but sporadic violent attacks would be completely possible
* In general I think it is vitally important for a government to follow the will of its people
* However, if we're completely honest, a lot of people voted against their own interests. Look at the many reports of people literally saying "oh god I voted leave but now the reality is sinking in"
* Given that, and the fact that many people who would have voted remain either stayed home due to either apathy, an assumption that Remain had it in the bag, or storms and flooding... well, I do think leaving on a 52% vote is questionable considering the HUGE consequences literally everyone will face

Disclosure: I'm a Scot. We overwhelmingly voted Remain, and if this actually happens we're probably going to vote to leave the UK and join the EU ourselves. I actually do also identify as British (I voted to stay in the UK in the first Scottish independence referendum) and the resulting conflict is probably affecting my judgment.

There is wording on the books that would indeed kinda-sorta seem to allow for this, but nobody seriously thinks it would ever happen.

I dunno mang. What about the Jo Cox thing? Assuming it wasn't just another jewish/leftist trick, it proves that shit has already hit the fan enough in Europe that there are people willing to sacrifice their lives to fuck with the elites. To me, it appears to be a pretty unstable situation. I could totally see riots happening.