Attached: zz top.jpg (2065x3000, 1.03M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IGzCDJro3hk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Gimme all your lovin',
All your hugs and kisses too

Gimme all your lovin',
don't let up until we're through

They had some good meat and potatoes blues rock, but I think it's same problem as Ted Nugent--their redneck image and fanbase turns off a lot of people (admittedly they're 1/10th as annoying as Nugent).

Damn, why are their early albums so expensive? Checked Ebay prices and fuck. I don't get it. They were a major label American rock group, not some obscure Belgian prog band.

While I admit they are largely not for me, Eliminator and Tres Hombres were both good albums

Their early albums on London didn't sell that many copies and I'm pretty sure they had only regional popularity back then. When they switched to Warner, they started getting national attention and Tres Hombres was a pretty major success at the time.

That said, original London pressings in good condition are rarer than hen's teeth.

I have a buddy who picked up some original London ZZ Top albums in thrift stores in the South. They do exist although like you said the band didn't get big nationally until switching to Warner. I guess most copies of those early ZZ Top albums were taken to parties and played to death. They were the perfect music for that.

Too bad most people only know the 80s MTV version of ZZ Top with the giant beards and leopard print outfits when they looked a lot more like Hank Williams in the 70s and had shorter beards.

repetitive
But I guess that's because I grew out of most blues rock

The first couple of albums are perfect oldskool blues rock. After they went MTV with drum machines and shitty guitar tones, forget about it.

The 80s version of ZZ Top was pretty cringy. I mean, I get it that they couldn't keep playing 1973's music forever and they had to adapt to the times, but still lame as fuck.

Very based southern/blues rock.

I love them, my dad took me to see them live when I was young and they were one of the best live acts I've ever seen. Something about their music always makes me happy.

Tres Hombres is the perfect encapsulation of 70s rock guitar--there aren't many other records that capture it better. Frank Beard is a beast of an axeman, even though the albums did have plenty of overdubs.

To be fair, you could already see the direction they were headed in with Deguello, which starts to adopt a bit of a slicker New Wave sound.

>Christgau shits on the 70s version of ZZ Top
>he thinks their 80s albums were hot shit
How did anyone take this guy seriously for so long?

brilliant, one of the best. Timeless.
I don't know why all their cds fuck up oin my player though.
Also was anything after Afterburner worth getting?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (2803x2777, 661K)

If it weren't for ZZ Top, there would be no Motorhead.

Attached: Capa - No Remorse.png (300x300, 79K)

My interpretation is that in the 70s, he probably thought "Ho hum, another dime-a-dozen blues rawk band" but in the 80s he thought blues rock was a refreshing change of pace from the usual slick Los Angeles hairspray bullshit. I mean, that's kind of how Stevie Ray Vaughn got big--I think if he'd come out in the 70s, he wouldn't have gotten much attention. It's just that during the Reagan years, it was almost rebellious to play blues licks through a tube amp.

I see good artists cite their pre-80's stuff as an influence. Can someone post good songs of theirs?

Their latest album is the closest to being worth listening to, but it's still not as good as the early material.

>Their latest album is the closest to being worth listening to
Mostly because Rick Rubin figured out how to utilize Frank's scratchy old man voice rather than expect him to sound like he did in the 70s.

Tres Hombres and Deguello have their best-known songs outside of Eliminator.

One of those bands that peaked early, like Sabbath, Aerosmith, Metallica, and whatnot.

>Lemmy knew about ZZ Top since I don't think
There was this TV program called The Tube with J Holland and the blonde junkie woman, tmk that was their big uk break.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 14K)

I can't hate 80s ZZ Top that much--yeah the production was sleeker and had more synths and big drums, but at least they didn't stoop to doing Desmond Child power ballads like Aerosmith and some of their other contemporaries.

Attached: 1ba4c09fd9b96bbf93bd08564e859f87.jpg (720x560, 63K)

MORE LIKE
>ZZZ Top
SNORE

GRAMPDADCORE

Did they influence Motorhead? I'd be surprised if Lemmy knew about ZZ Top since I wouldn't think too many people in the UK had heard of them. Had he even visited America yet at that time?

Damn, I get it. Your redneck dad used to play them in the car on the way to driving you to Little League practice and you hate him ever since which is why you only listen to P4k-approved dreampop bands with a girl singer and nu male musicians.

During their early years on London, probably not but once they switched to big label Warner, people in the UK would definitely have known about them.

>urprised if Lemmy knew about ZZ Top since I would

It would seem unlikely that he hadn't of heard of them as they were playing with Santana , Jimmy Page , Aerosmith as support in 1970. Even though kerrang didn't start until 1981 it must have been in the Melody Maker.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (717x1024, 228K)

>Did they influence Motorhead? I
Nah.

Them and the Nuge are pretty much as pure rock and roll as it gets--loud, bluesy, dirty, fast, and completely unpretentious.

screaming

If it's 1970, Aerosmith weren't even a thing yet.

I got the year wrong. The poster is June 12th 1976. So motorhead formed in 1975 makes it very likely he knew ZZ TOP.

Yeah, that. Like I said, most people only know the 80s version of ZZ Top with the fuzzy guitars and pseudo-hair metal wardrobe when in the 70s they just looked like country singers with ten gallon hats and whatnot.

Low-tier dadrock. Do not listen to.

Cool as fuck. I just wish they didn't trail off after Eliminator.

youtu.be/IGzCDJro3hk
mate trail off in what way?

Album quality, I mean.