The King's Speech

>The King's Speech
>The Artist
>Argo
>12 Years a Slave
>Birdman
>Spotlight

Movies that everyone immediately forgot about as soon as awards season ended.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2KrAI82s8_k
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican's_list_of_films
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not true for 12 Years or Birdman

Birdman > The King's Speech = 12 Years a Slave > The Artist > Kevin Smith's filmography > Argo

>except The Kings Speech is actually a good flick

People still talk about birdman

12 Years was pretty good tho.

Birdman is genuinely good and will be studied in film school later on

Spotlight is the only forgettable one of them all.

>wow he's the next big Hollywood leading man!
>does nothing

12 Years A Slave was the most baitey out of all of these
Fucking shitty movie about niggers

Just because people don't spam those on Sup Forums all day like they do superhero movies doesn't mean people forgot about them.

I think birdman is a bit better than the rest.

Agreed with the others

Thats only true for half those movies.
Kings Speech, 12 years a slave, and Birdman are all still relevant.

It drives me INSANE that The King's Speech beat The Social Network AND Toy Story 3.

Also, three of those movies are about Hollywood. La La Land is a lock for this year.

to be fair, no one is "talking" about the social network, black swan, avatar or other movies that were considered potential classics back then. When's the last time you heard people talking about Prisoners? Exactly

District 9, Tree of Life, Django Unchained, Wolf of Wall Street, Whiplash and Nightcrawler will stick.

I unironically enjoyed Argo

I'm in agreement, though The Revenant took my respect for Iñárritu down a peg.
You forgot Spotlight though, I'd put it down there with Argo.

>is at the top of everyone's list this year
>no one talks or mentions it ever

I agree with The Artist and Spotlight. But what movies from this decade do people remember then?

I think it's because it's a hard sell. It's a sort of film you'd stumble upon and love but on such a personal level you don't even bother to recommend it to friends.

No one talks about it here because this board is full of plebs. You should have realized that by now.

yeah, but no one is even talking about it here

>this board is full of plebs
And a bunch of Sup Forumstards that hate anything that as black people in it.

Post your top 10 of the year. Make me fucking laugh kid

>'oh you've got such great taste user! I love hearing your suggestions. What's it about?
>'ga...ni...I mean it's about growing up but...it's... there's two bla....actually it's dishonest, don't watch it.'

>DUDE WE TOTALLY FORGET THESE FILMS
>WE WILL LIST THEM EVERYTIME TO REMIND US HOW WE FORGET THEM

Why didn't OP list Slumdog Millionaire? Did he forget?

Hollywood died and sold out after the 70's. Serious cinema was taken up by foreign markets afterwards. Everything celebrated by oscars in recent memory are half-hearted attempts to rekindle past greatness.

Because it's about gay niggers and produced in jew capital of movies, while this is a Catholic European board.

There's nothing wrong with it, bit it's not an oscar material and really forgettable.

Meanwhile every shitty superhero, sci-fi and action flick Hollywood shits out gets posted here 24/7 and any dialogue driven drama no one cares about here.

That's probably the most popular best picture winner of the millennium aside from LOTR

The Revenent.

I thought it would at least have some legs due to LEO'S OSCAR meme status but nope.

Watching Birdman in the theater was very fun

Spotlight is the biggest piece of fucking garbage. How the fuck did it win?

Argo was a particularly bad case.
Spotlight did the most bland thing it could with the material it covered to the point of everyone having forgotten about it by now.
I wouldn't classify the King's Speech or The Artist as part of the post 70s 70s movement, both are to fairy tale and fantastical for that.
12 Years a Slave almost got it, but it lacked a sense of modern day urgency and rawness that would have been inherent to it had it been made in the 70s.

The best films of the year are usually not even nominated for awards by "the academy".

Stop giving these dick sucking corporate industry hacks attention.

12 Years a Slave was an excellent piece of film making and Steve McQueen is widely regarded as one the best contemporary directors.

But besides Birdman you are correct. Argo and Spotlight were especially forgettable films that didn't even deserve to be nominated.

It's baffling. Revenant should have had that thing in the bag after winning best actor and director (not to mention the Golden Globe and BAFTA)

And at least The Big Short had its meme format going on for it and focusing on a topic that affected millions of Americans fairly recently.

The only explanation is a smear campaign on Catholics.

12 years is Oscar bait trash. It's up there with Chicago and Artist. Only won because it's a white guilt movie.

great soundtrack tho. still listen to it occasionally.

Everyone saying birdman isn't shit are reddit theater fags

Films come in various ratios, lengths and styles. Some blur the line between film and documentary, some experiment with having unorthodox structure and plot. Really, if we were to define what "film" is rigidly, we'd have a hard time. Thus, it's only possibe to instinctively recognise a film. Not by looking at its characteristics, but by recognising its ideal essence as that of a film. However, 12 Years a Slave is a bait. It may be shaped like a film and you may be fooled into thinking it's a film on your first impression, but its very essence is bait. So it cannot be a movie. And therefore it can't be watched. So the only thing I can ask when you make statements like these
>12 Years a Slave was an excellent piece of film
Is why are trolling? Or if not, how dumb are you?

No, just Emma fags

I've always liked Argo and thought it was really exhilarating. What does tayvay have against it?

That too same thing I think

It falls under the "it's good, but not best picture material" category

Birdman and 12 Years a Slave are excellent, 2 of the best films of the 21st century thus far. But The Artist, King's Speech, Argo, and Spotlight are unabashedly oscar bait tripe. There was even controversey that The Artist stole Bernard Hermann's score from Vertigo, and Kim Novak rightfully called out that nostalgia-repurposing bullshit.

Birdman was 5/10 meh tier

>muh camerawork gimmick
>muh 1000 unresolved plots

So deep

Pretty dumb if I'm honest. You'll notice though that I carefully said 'film making' and not 'film.

Birdman wasn't forgotten.
The rest is true though. Just because a film is objectively good doesn't mean it's any more memorable than Capeshit installment #848.

I thought it was such a piece of hamfisted, unexciting, mediocrely directed trash

Birdman is dishonest shit and Emily Stone is a bad actress

Don't forget
>daaaaad it's over for white men
*kills himself*

What the fuck is this trash? I could've watched Jason X and get more out of it.

Birdman is forgotten nobody discusses a thing about it see this guy that I agree with

It was competent. That was about you could say for it. If it hadn't won a bunch of awards I wouldn't give a single solitary fuck about it - nor would anyone else.

I didn't like how it was basically engineered to make a fuss and how "meta" it was.
Every critique is always countered with "but that's the effect the director wanted to create, so many contradictions xD"

Birdman > 12 Years a Slave > Spotlight > The King's Speech > Artist > Argo

Is the Artist worth seeing?

That's not true, I liked half baked and how high

I agree, it really was good. But Sup Forums are too immature to look past LOLNIGGERS to appreciate the actual film-making aspects of it.

By that metric the Dark Knight Rises is a masterpiece.

But Sup Forums did in 2013 when it came out, newfrog. And even then most agreed McQueen sold out

I liked it but how the fuck did it sweep the awards circuit? It won GG, PGA, DGA, SAG, BAFTA and Oscar.

You'd think that Lincoln or Life of Pi would have won one of those.

I think this might be my exact list.

No, just watch the plethora of kino silent classics.

And buy some of the fucking blurays so we can get more damn restorations

I can't take it seriously after Brad Pitt's scene. It's like the entire movie stops so Brad Pitt can make a PSA to the audience about how terrible slavery is.

okay, but it's an enjoyable movie

im pretty sure life of pi got all the technical awards

Birdman > The King's Speech >>>>>> Spotlight >>> Argo >>>>>> Niggers >>>>>>>>>>>>> The Memertist

La La Meme will be this years The Artist, a masturbatory peace of insincere crap. It'll sweep everything.

kys

I actually like Birdman quite a bit.

12 years and birdman were never forgotten about. I thought spotlight was great too but I understand it wasn't a huge zeitgeist film

So true, brother.

It's McQueen's best movie, plebs.

youtube.com/watch?v=2KrAI82s8_k

Not an argument

Vast majority of Oscar winners are forgiveable or semi-forgiveable. Here's a quick list I've made of what Best Picture winners actually remained classics:

> All Quiet on the Western Front
> Gone with the Wind
> Casablanca
> On the Waterfront
> The Bridge on the River Kwai
> Ben-Hur
> Lawrence of Arabia
> Patton
> The French Connection
> The Godfather
> The Godfather Part II
> Amadeus
> The Silence of the Lambs
> Unforgiven
> Schindler's List
> Titanic
> The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

That's because most of them were also box office hits in their time.

But as you see, there's also no Kubrick, no Kurosawa, no Hitchcock except Rebecca, it's mostly forgettable dreck that wins and people only watch because it won oscars.

for you and some r*tards

Except it's not and was the first sign of decline in the oscars.

From top of my head
>no One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
>no Rocky
>no Deer Hunter
>no Platoon

I thought the 2005 list of nominees was

My Fair Lady, Annie Hall and Platoon are still classics too but I do agree a lot of the other ones have been really boring and forgettable.

No. Just watch Astaire and Rogers films.

>no Hitchcock
Thrillers aren't adult cinema and don't deserve Oscars

>no Kurosawa
maybe he got a better screenwriter, he would've been considered.

Oscars cater to the Golden Age of Hollywood. The only issue is that mostly since New Age of Hollywood, oscar movies were only made with the expressed concern of winning awards and halfheartedly maintaining Hollywood's dignity while all the major studios spent all their cash on Porky's sequels and special effects-driven schlock.

I liked Argo

you're right about rocky and platoon

but one flew over and deer hunter are perfect examples imo of "famous for winning oscar" famous just like the king's speech or forest gump would be in the future.

whats hilarious is those are the forgotten movies.

How many people can genuinely say they can distinctly remember the difference between Avengers 1 and Avengers 2.

Someone brings up prisoners ever single Villeneuve thread

>one flew over
It's famous for the performances of the two leads and the chief

>deer hunter
famous for the russian roulette scene

I still haven't forgotten about Argo, that movie was great.

Not even the best Ben-kino

"Critics of the phrase Oscar bait might tell you that making movies is already too difficult to do well without adding the pressure of having an awards-worthy product," concedes VanAiresdale.

He nevertheless defended use of the term. "The takeaway from Weinstein and the rest shouldn't be that Oscar bait is a reductive concept that's bad for movies," he wrote. "Rather, bad movies are bad for movies."

Since the race for awards did generate some good movies, he felt, moviegoers should not be so dismissive. "Oscar bait is the only reason that grown-ups have anything at all to watch in a movie theater anymore, with four months of awards season compensating for the other eight months of craven superhero franchises, anemic romantic comedies, and whatever Adam Sandler wipes off his shoe."

I liked Birdman and The King's Speech a lot and thought Spotlight and Argo were OK. I never watched 12 Years a Slave or The Artist because I can smell the bullshit from a mile off. I'm giving La La Land and Moonlight a miss this year too

Gone Girl, Good Will Hunting and The Town are the trinity of Benkino

Ben Affleck didn't direct Gone Girl

You mean Gone Baby Gone

That's wrong though, it's visually and critically engaging in new ground

>Thrillers aren't adult cinema and don't deserve Oscars
he won for rebecca which at best it would be at the tail end of a top 10 hitchcock movies

Meanwhile, in the year of Vertigo, the winner was ... Gigi. It won 9 oscars and broke a record that year. Vertigo wasn't even nominated.

>he won for rebecca
He didn't he was just nominated

Just take a look at the AFI 100 movies or sight and sound 100 movies. Almost none of these movies are ever talked about on Sup Forums. I'm not complaining, but just pointing out that these movies are clearly meant for a different kind of people. What nerds think is different than academia.

Also movies rarely degrade on critical acclaim either, so these are pretty much modern classics in a way and there isnt anything to change that. For example, a lot of people seem to think Drive is a classic and greatest movie ever even though almost no one outside a few film circles gives a damn, meanwhile La La Land looks like an instant genre topping classic and people here didnt like it much. even though both must be good one is considered a classic because its more academic

I unironically think we should abolish Oscars and give the job to Vatican.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican's_list_of_films