USA and EU on Brexit

I am not one to fall for the special relationship meme, but one of the most noticeable things about the Brexit result was the different reactions in the USA and in the EU.

Both Obama and Trump pretty much immediately said: "We're still bros, that isn't changing."
Whilst EU leaders basically said: "OUT OUT OUT!" There was no "We're still the closest of allies"; or "We look forward to a new friendly relationship" or anything like that. It was just anger.

It makes it clear that the UK was never liked by EU leaders; we were just wanted for the money that we put in.

So, let this be one of those times that the people of the UK do genuinely appreciate this muddled relationship that we have with the USA (most of whose citizens probably didn't even know that we were having a referendum).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/emxumavBU3M?t=71
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Obama's opinion on the matter is irrelevant as he is out of office in a few months.

You only need Donald Trump, m8.

Fuck the EU, we will always be bros.

Obama we ate dust to stay in

But now that we are out he might as well be concilatory, there is no putting the genie back in the bottle

Also this He is gone in a few months time anyway

Although it doesnt matter much, you have my support uk

no shit, the EU just saw us as a cash cow with nukes

You have to leave.
You are no-longer part of this union.

Of course there are people throughout Europe who support us, just not many of the leaders.

Schulz, Juncker etc. are probably not popular throughout Europe, incidentally.

>we ate dust
Would have preferred us*

What the fug

Everyone in my family knows of Brexit. And while my father's side might have some animosity towards you (family fought in the revolution). We all put down our burgers at the table and clapped for you when the vote was being read on CNN.

I'd like to say I was sarcastic about putting down the burgers and clapping, but I'm not. Fuck the EU and enjoy your new Freedom, old man.

>What the fug
Mobile user? My phone keeps correcting 'EU' to 'away'.

>It makes it clear that the UK was never liked by EU leaders; we were just wanted for the money that we put in.

no nation is liked by the EU leaders. hell, not even the european peoples are liked by the EU leaders. EU leaders only like three things:
>money
>power
>other EU leaders

The political leaders of the EU and its citecens are not interchangable, my dearest british friend. I welcome the brexit and hope that you will blossom into a New powerhouse of wealth and influence, guideing the way for the rest of us still in shackles and understand the boot of those greedy crypto-jews of brussels.

I like you even more than before, if that is possible and i hope, after the dust settles, that our economies will once again rule over the old World, but this time without a say of brussel or America. Lets make europe Great again, dear british brothers.

Yeah, my American friends didn't even know what the EU was let alone we won a referendum.

>And while my father's side might have some animosity towards you (family fought in the revolution)
LMFAO do they really hold a grudge for that long? Do they know it's [the Current Year]?

We're your best bros.

It's mostly the leaders of EU that are the problem; a lot of the common citizens are looking at you with hope. Everyone wanted someone to show it's possible to leave the union, but no country wanted to take the risk and be the first one. It would be a step out into the unknown, and a scary decision to make. I'm grateful you did it and opened the discussion for more exit movements.

Also, I've understood that people working in Brussels have long been ticked off by Britain having this special deal. You guys weren't part of Euro and Schengen, and because of that, EU wasn't hurting you as much as it's been hurting some other countries. You've stayed more vigilant about defending your own interests instead of readily accepting the stuff that Brussels comes up with, and I've got the vibe that eurocrats hate you for that.

Someone suggested the referendum should've been about UK either leaving EU, or dropping the special privileges and joining the union as a regular and equal member (Euro, Schengen, migrant quotas). I would've loved to see how that would've gone.

The EU blackmails the well-off states into staying with fear-mongering and doubt about economic instability.

Meanwhile it uses their money to bribe the easterners and southerners into staying.

Thats why they are afraid and this is why this is such a big deal to them.

>It makes it clear that the UK was never liked by EU leaders

I thought it was clear that continentals always hated the British

Yeh

Samsung has retarded tier auto correct

Which doesn't mean that they won't do anything to get deals in their favor. Your position now, an union which is likely to fall apart, is still weak as fuck.

>I thought it was clear that continentals always hated the British
The Eurovision song contest reminds me of this every year.

We had like, ONE big fight, Dad. Stop trying to make it out like it's so complicated, no relationship is perfect.

I was at work eating a Gordita at 3 AM when I heard the news. Put it down and literally danced. There's the fact that I despise globalism, but there's also a strong feeling in the hearts of every true American that goes out when a people earn their freedom.

Christ

How does he get away with it

>oh right, because he can't be voted out

Yeah. We even have my (however many it is) Great Grandfather's colonial officer uniform. My Uncle is in possession of my other (however many it is) Great Grandfather's Union Uniform too.

My old man is really into history and we just happen to be lucky enough to have a weird amount of heirlooms. I think besides the revolutionary/civil war stuff. My great grandfather stole a bunch of Nazi Medals off the chest of the soldiers that he killed. But that stuff is actually in a safe deposit box, because my family thinks Nazi shit is cursed.

Britain will always be our bff.

We may joke about being besties with Russia after trump is elected. Some of us even unironically support the merchants as our best ally. Liberals my hate you for leaving the EU, calling you racist xenophobes.

But we will be here and we will always love you

>It makes it clear that the UK was never liked by EU leaders; we were just wanted for the money that we put in.
No. Nobody likes you because of your special snowflake status. That's why nobody is trying to keep you in.

>nobody is trying to keep you in
Surely you can't be serious.

>most of whose citizens probably didn't even know that we were having a referendum).

Its huge news over here in the USA. Brexit is dominating our entire news industry. I hear people talking about it all the time at work.

Most Americans like the UK and consider it be our best ally ever.

"Out means out." was a phrase repeated a lot before referendum.

>I was expecting '...and don't call me Shirley'

Probably too much to ask for desu.

>there's also a strong feeling in the hearts of every true American that goes out when a people earn their freedom.

This user gets it.

I was just about to post a reminder that generally Slavs don't like to be called Shirley.

You never did understand us Dad, and you never will.

Americans love freedom, independence, and thumbing the nose at distant, bureaucratic power (except when it is other people doing it to us, but thats different of course). More than any of that and anything else though, Americans love their friends. Yeah, Brits are pompous, and self congratulatory, and fantastically ignorant, and project all their bad qualities onto everybody around them. Yes, Brits are hostile to many of the ideals we cherish, and cling to whatever bullshit propaganda they are being spoonfed today, and produce shitty comedy that people ironically enjoy. In fact, now that I think of it, I fucking hate you guys and I hope Poseidon swallows up your shitty little island.

Despite all that though, we like you because when push comes to shove, you remember your friends. I hope you fucking die and go to hell, and if you do, Ill blast my way through the nine layers to drag you out and then rub your nose in it.

Fuck the EU.

You will like what Boris said in his final plea to the public in the major debate of the campaign:

youtu.be/emxumavBU3M?t=71

This tiny little speech, it has been playfully suggested, may have been what won it for the UK.

Brits didn't used to be like that. Marxism has ruined Europe just like it's slowly ruining America.

I understand how you feel. I am like a schizophrenic sometimes; at one moment lambasting the USA, and the next moment taking inspiration from it.

British comedy is best comedy. We might be only a shade of a once great empire, but we know how to have a good chuckle about it all.

>Americans love freedom, independence, and thumbing the nose at distant, bureaucratic power (except when it is other people doing it to us, but thats different of course). More than any of that and anything else though, Americans love their friends. Yeah, Brits are pompous, and self congratulatory, and fantastically ignorant, and project all their bad qualities onto everybody around them. Yes, Brits are hostile to many of the ideals we cherish, and cling to whatever bullshit propaganda they are being spoonfed today, and produce shitty comedy that people ironically enjoy. In fact, now that I think of it, I fucking hate you guys and I hope Poseidon swallows up your shitty little island.
>Despite all that though, we like you because when push comes to shove, you remember your friends. I hope you fucking die and go to hell, and if you do, Ill blast my way through the nine layers to drag you out and then rub your nose in it.

Sounds about right.

UK leaving the EU set a precedent. it is the first step.
next, we need a euro country to leave the EU and successfully revert to its own currency.

that is the final taboo that has yet to be broken. if that happens, the union will pretty much dissolve overnight.

It has already took hold in Scotland. It's ironic really because Scotland was the centre of classical liberals like Adam Smith and the Scottish enlightenment and now they lap up more government like its nobodies business.

>Why aren't the people we fucked over in the worst way imaginable friendly towards us anymore?
I've genuinely got no idea.

To be fair, Schultz, Juncker and Tusk made this statement as part of a longer speech on brexit:

"As regards the United Kingdom, we hope to have it as a close partner of the European Union in the future. We expect the United Kingdom to formulate its proposals in this respect."

I missed the debate but heard that speech on Youtube. It was glorious, it felt like he was speaking for me and everyone else who's been watching the misadventures of EU with worry and frustration. I hope the Brexit vote will get to evolve into an independence day for you guys, and good luck walking the road that others were (at least for now) too scared to take.

I wish we could be the first ones to do that. Joining euro was probably the biggest and most expensive mistake we ever made (along with joining EU). Unfortunately, I don't think any of our politicians have the kind of courage that would be needed for fixing that mistake.