Why's a 7/10 movie getting so much praise?

why's a 7/10 movie getting so much praise?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nbue2Pi2tNY&t=5s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There's a moment early on this film that nicely summarizes Damien Chazelle's approach to music and art: Ryan Gosling, sitting at his piano, puts on a jazz record, which begins with a complicated piano riff. He stops the record, plays the riff on his piano exactly as heard on the record, messes up, then spins back the record, replays the opening, and mimics it again. It's the same methodology behind the "Play one wrong note and you DIE" premise of the Chazelle-penned Grand Piano and the keep-the-tempo obsessiveness of Whiplash. Great artistry is about hitting your cues, keeping the rhythm, getting the notes right. Interpretation, originality, feeling are ignored in favor of technical proficiency. One wonders if Chazelle's kindergarten teachers indoctrinated him with this draw-inside-the-lines ethos or if it developed naturally from a lack of imagination.

It's an ethos that extends to his formalism too, all swooping cranes and tracks exactly in time to the characters' movements, in and out of rooms, through corridors and down streets, moving up towards the sky for the perfect landing. But all the motion ends up constricting rather than opening up the characters' movements; there's no spontaneity in the blocking, no freedom in the steps. It's all hard and fast. There's no grace.

It's for the better, I guess; remove the formal showiness and there'd be no cover for the mediocre dancing, set to a mediocre jazz score. I mean, seriously, this is some straight out of undergraduate dramatic arts program, off Broadway, Michael Buble material. And I know that makes me sound like an elitist, but there's the rub: Chazelle can't keep making movies about artistic excellence if he's going to keep filling them with subpar artistry.

And what is Chazelle if not an elitist, railing against the gluten-free pastry consumers of the world and the strict enforcers of tacky setlists (in what world does Chazelle live in that a high end restaurant in LA wouldn't want their performer playing free jazz?). He needs to set up strawmen for his protagonists to come in conflict with because he doesn't trust the audience to grasp that his leads are superior simply from watching them, and he's right. He needs antagonists to stack them up against, to prove their superiority. This tendency culminates in the shockingly awful John Legend subplot, in which Chazelle focuses his ire on the introduction of synths and pop into jazz music (because this is the 1980s, apparently). But the joke's on him: there's no difference in quality between Legend's pop concert extravaganza and the music proper in the film. Mediocre is mediocre, with synths or without.

Shit taste of plebs who like stone

Wasted effort man. Everyone here is a manchild scifi foot fapping faggot. This is no place for hig level criticism here. Thanks for your time tho, sorry for the underage people.

good.

Richard Brody's critique of Whiplash was so fucking good.

I'm so tired of that overrated douchebag of a Ryan Gosling, time was after the Notebook he was still nothing until Crazy Stupid Love and Drive

I quite liked from the visual side
It's anachronism I guess?
The whole movie just scream 80's, but there are also 50's, 60's and smartphones and youtube.

The only problematic thing about it is the whiteness of the leads; this is somewhat mitigated due to Gosling being autistic.

There is just not any meaningful ammunition for what passes as the media press to criticize the film. As for older people who are mainly outside the reach of these 'news' outlets; they have shown in the past that there is a market for musicals.

This. Stop liking that no talent bitch

It's actually probably this. That and Gosling homolust.

it's this year's The Artist

youtube.com/watch?v=Nbue2Pi2tNY&t=5s

6/10 op, it's a 6. If you gonna keep spamming these threads, fix your mistake at least.

how is a movie that's supposed to glorify jazz, ridicule samba? pathetic. obviously a white man's movie about shit they don't understand

If you're gonna keep spamming your video, kill yourself at least.

Because Hollywood loves to suck it's own dick.

no

more posts like this could save TV

the Venn diagram of "good movies" vs "movies that get Oscar praise" is getting more and more stretched

It barely had any jazz in it. It's the normie Muzak definition of "jazz".

I enjoyed the film, but it reveled in cliche, and in the end I was surprised at how despite trying its best to seem like a vibrant, lively big stage it ended up feeling a bit hermetic.

trash

I think it was pretty good but still an unrealistic view of LA.

Thats why there are so many tourist there, they dont expect to be hit with a smell of shit and millions of homeless people everywhere.

I expected to see at least one homeless since gayddit said it was representative of LA. In real life, ryan character would be homeless and emma character would be a hooker at night and a street seller at day.

>Great artistry is about hitting your cues, keeping the rhythm, getting the notes right. Interpretation, originality, feeling are ignored in favor of technical proficiency
i almost lost it at this but i saw it was richard brody and kept reading

i mean, i play fucking guitar and i practice until i get something just right, but what makes just right is ultimately subjective anyway, as in classical music where different people prefer different recordings that sometimes only differ in the subtlest of ways. i don't buy into the feel/technicality dichotomy, as even as i try to figure out the guitar playing in one of my favorite bands my conscious effort is into unlocking the rhythmic and harmonic technicality they use in their music to ultimately use it for myself in mine

the point about the audience need for antagonists is salient tho, and it is something that makes me wonder if 'cinema is dead' as people need clear signifiers in movies to ultimate deliver something that more or less panders to people's identities

This shit makes me so angry. I'm not going to say that La La Land is a great Jazz movie, but its clear that this guy has never played an instrument before in his life.

I play jazz, every day, and I loved that scene because that's what jazz musicians do, we steal from the great recordings practicing specific sections until we get it perfect.

And this guy is actually shitting on the score? What the fuck.

I loved the movie and don't much care what you or anyone here thinks of me for it. Now what, faggot?

Its a movie about hollywood

Spoken like someone who doesn't live in LA.

Because los angeles california is actually hell

>The only major city I've visited was LA for 3 days