What's about this guy's work that makes it genuinely scary...

What's about this guy's work that makes it genuinely scary? I don't get scared at horror movies yet some scenes from Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Wild at Heart and even Blue Velvet really gets me. Any other Lynch movies that have this scary atmosphere as the ones I mentioned? Or are there other filmmakers with similar approach that I might like?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c5WC0TW_0qc
youtube.com/watch?v=d5aqLzl_VrA
youtube.com/watch?v=Oo12sNDsSfE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He's actually interested in characters and their emotions

Fire Walk With Me is pretty spooky. You might not enjoy it as much as you would if you watched Twin Peaks first though

he has a knack of finding really creepy and disturbed looking people.

Just watch them all.

I don't know any other director who can make daytime L.A. a creepy nightmarish place

He's a fucking genius with editing & sound design, he really knows how to build suspense

What is the non-entry level version of Lynch

Lynch

I think what I like about it is his approach to it. Take Mystery Man and his arrival at the party. In the typical horror movie he'd blink for a second with some spooky sound for a shock value. But here the motherfucker just stands there and then walks toward Fred. And then the close up. The intensity. The same with mother from Wild at Heart. I think that would be my way to scare people if I ever make a film - if something spooky happens, it doesn't disappear just like that but keeps getting more and more fucked.

Eli Rothodowsky

he's deeply interested in transcendental meditation and studying his own dreams so he has a good grasp of the weirdness of the unconscious mind and the surreal, creepy nature of dream imagery

there was one scene in twin peaks that just fucking wrecked me as a kid, i'm trying to remember what it was. I don't think it was Bob coming out from behind the couch but that shit is spooky as fuck too. I know it was at the end of an episode.

youtube.com/watch?v=c5WC0TW_0qc

this one pretty fucking scary too desu

I watched first season of TP years ago. Gonna watch the whole thing before the new series starts.

This one?
youtube.com/watch?v=d5aqLzl_VrA

Yes holy shit that's it.

Volume cranked up and when the screams started playing it destroyed 8 year old me

You're not alone, although I was a fully grown man at the time.

This. Some of the most memorable scenes work because they're building this heavy atmosphere of fear & dread in a setting that should be "safe." Two guys having lunch at a comfy, brightly-colored diner in broad daylight should be a nice scene. But the one guy is sweating, and seems completely terrified over something that doesn't even make sense. There's that low, stomach-chaining drone on the soundtrack that just steadily builds louder and louder as the scene SLOWLY moves you closer & closer to something bad.

It really just captures the feeling of a nightmare. There's just a feeling of certainty that something fucking horrible is about to happen, but only one character can see it, and there's just a feeling of helplessness as the threat pays off exactly like that character thought it would.

First watch season 1 and 2, then Fire Walk With Me and directly after that Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces.

even that joke picture is spooky

Yeah I know what you mean. There are some good scenes like that in Fire Walk With Me too. Like the diner scene in the beginning where the redneck with the out of place glamorous girlfriend repeats the same question twice and the FBI office scene.

The entire Laura Palmer storyline, too. I think that's his scariest/most distressing film overall. It's just something about the contrast with the nice, Norman Rockwell neighborhood and her whole "daytime" persona, but inside her home it's just fucking Hell on earth.

It's the kind of thing he's been doing for his whole career, but it's really just cranked up to full blast in FWWM.

Yeah, I actually just watched FWWM: The Missing Pieces like an hour ago. The scene where Laura hears Bob whispering from under the fan and she starts slowly, slowly smiling like a lunatic is some of the most disturbing things I've seen. Reminded me of s music video by Circlesquare. Lynch fans might enjoy this vid, check it out:

youtube.com/watch?v=Oo12sNDsSfE

He gets the soundtrack just right, builds the suspence well. Like the jap horror films.

>jap horror films
Can you recommend me some?

Kiyoshi Kurosawa is good. Try "The Cure," "Charisma," "Pulse," or "Loft."

The first time we see Bob at the end of the bed freaks me the fuck out

Lynch is a skilled and talented film maker.
99.9% of film makers are untalented, visually illiterate persons.