I was at my film club yesterday, and some of the members were raving about this film

I was at my film club yesterday, and some of the members were raving about this film.

Is it any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-ciFTP_KRy4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Absolutely not

I certainly enjoyed it but it's flawed. If it remembered it was a musical throughout I'd be perfectly happy.

I just wanted more scenes like A Lovely Night, dammit.

I thought it was great. I'm not even going to waste time spouting meaningless drivel like "...but it wasn't perfect." Nothing is.

It's a hopeful movie and cynics in this hateful cesspool don't like even momentary happiness. The movie promises an homage to old Hollywood classics and that's what it delivers.

Film club?

If you have a vagina its really really good. If you have a penis its alright. I guess keep it for date night.

>hopeful
It has a sad ending.

My film club called it "dishonest" wtf

I'd say bittersweet, rather than sad.

They achieve their dreams...just not the mutual one. It's ending is true to the opening number. There's something melancholy to the ending, which is as close to real life as you get in a movie like this. They DO both end up happy, just not with one another.

I didnt really give a shit about their ambitions and they could have made their relationship work if it was actually important to them.
Then they just do other people. I only ever really felt sad seeing Gosling be upset while he played the piano.

I thought the musical parts of the film needed more space and the same for the drama.

Mine did too, but those idiots also make a big deal when a superhero movie announced so wtf do they know, right?

No they are stonefag plebs

the ending really hit me hard and ive been really depressed about it for like a week now.

No its dishonest crap.

I have seen the "dishonest" meme someone before. Could you explain why this film is dishonest to me? Ill spread it.

oh look everybody it's the watsonfag shill.

You should try and bang someone better than your ex. It will give you a whole new perspective.

People do grow apart, though. Life just works out that way sometimes. I dated a girl who moved away for school. We tried to make it last but we were living separate lives. We probably would've lasted had she not gone... No other reason broke us up. Relationships require nurturing and distance/the commitments associated with it make that a very difficult proposition.

Cant really argue with that.

What I do wonder is about the opening sequence. All those people all wanting to make it big in LA. That would make for a very miserable population when the vast majority of them fail.

Ever spent much time in LA?

>spectacle for spectacle's sake

literally no better than capeshit desu

Nope.

it's an ok movie with a pretty great ending. The payoff at the end is worth watching the crap that came before it.

They are miserable. There's an endless pool of people to choose for a finite number of roles. And there are a SHITLOAD of incredibly talented people that don't know the right people or don't hook up with the right casting call at the right time and they end up in obscurity forever. Even the middling "that guy/girl" roles are snapped up by a choice few. Most are just chasing a pipe dream...

This. Gosling and Stone are cancer.

It can be quite depressing, for the reasons you mentioned. Lots of delusional people chasing a dream that obviously isn't gonna pan out, lots of less-delusional people who gave up on their dream, and lots of disillusioned people who achieved their dream and found the reality of it to be disappointing

I know some girls that want to be actresses and in their early 20s I can already see their life forming.

They are getting fuck all work and going no where and they have hooked up with some mildly successful nerds who will end up being their husbands.

At first I was quite angry with the ending. I thought it was going to be a bait and switch and that it would turn out she was acting in another film, and her husband was another actor. I couldn't reconcile the cheery, hopeful tone of the film with the depressing ending. Gosling hit me right in the feels

Now that I've had time to digest it, I actually really like the ending. The whole film was about following your dream and ambitions, and how in the end they are what define your life. Relationships come and go, and you're nostalgic over them

Overall I didn't resonate with the feel good, "you can get there if you just try" attitude of the film. It was almost sickly, which is why the ending was the highlight

>Defining yourself by your career.

That is playing the REALLY long pain game.

It's pretty unhonest

Chazelle is probably blinded by his own success and genuinely believes in the whole "try, try and try again" philosophy/bullshit

He's made 2 big films, Whiplash got 3 oscars and La La Land will probably win a ton more including best picture and/or director. He's fucking 32. He has no idea what it's like to have to actually give up your dream

He might not have to. Most people will. I think for most people if they define themselves by their careers they will end up suicidal.

>Filmmaking was Chazelle's first love, but he subsequently wanted to be a musician, and struggled to make it as a jazz drummer at Princeton High School. He has said he had an intense music teacher, who was the inspiration for the character of Terence Fletcher in Chazelle's breakout film Whiplash. Unlike the film's protagonist Andrew Neiman, however, Chazelle stated that he knew instinctively he never had the talent to be a great musician, and after high school, pursued filmmaking again.[2] He studied filmmaking in the Visual and Environmental Studies department at Harvard University and graduated in 2007

Really makes you think.

>film club
>mfw

I got thrown out of mine for being drunk all the time.

That sounds absolutely based.

Start your own drunk film club.

Seriously, what the fuck is a "Film Club" ?

unless you're not supposed to talk about it.

Wait. How can a movie be dishonest?

don't feed this meme pls

Tell that to kanji club

If it's just pandering, but if is true, I think La La Land was an honest expression of Chazelle's passions, and people are just trading shitty memes.

>people talking about how great ryan goslings piano playing was
>he played one song the entire movie

stupid normie faggots

I'm lying. There was no club.

>film club
triggered

Any film club memories Sup Forums?

>i was at my film club
lol

I thought we were your film club user

Lie Lie Land is a live-action Disney movie. Except Disney movies have better soundtracks, characters, and the struggles faced by those characters aren't fucking retarded. Hollywood hasn't put out a movie this self-masturbatory since The Artist. It is honestly unbelievable how shallow this garbage is.

>dude just follow ur dreams no matter how delusional

The movie justifies this idiotic moral by having the characters achieve their insipid dreams through luck and happenstance rather than hard work. Mia shits out a single one-woman show and does one performance of it; of the 8 people in the crowd, one is a casting agent who falls in love with her and delivers her an A-list acting career on a silver platter. Seb's friend bumps into him, and immediately offers him a job. Following that, despite the decline of jazz in LA and having no experience running a business, Seb ends up owning a hugely successful jazz club. I am sure it is very easy to romanticize succeeding in Hollywood through dumb luck when the people making the film did just that.Many of the scenes in the film were homages, but it doesn't justify them. The overlong scenes of Seb and Mia dancing against romantic backgrounds get old very quickly, and just hammer home the fact that there is no substance to this film. It is also surprising that the relationship at the core of this film only came about due to coincidence; these two run into each other 3 times for no reason other than convenience for the writer.

Chazelle obviously has the self-awareness to realize how saccharine and empty the movie was. In order to make it seem like something other than a sugary bowl of sunshine, he attempts to give it a "bittersweet" ending, but he even fails here -- both characters get everything they wanted out of life.

>b-but they don't end up together, they were meant for each other

You have to be a teen girl to even consider this line of thinking.
3.5/10 - at least it looked good

LA LA LAND
BY BYE MAN
LALA LAND
BYEBYE MAN

BYE BYE MAN
LALA LAND

DONT THNK IT DON SAY IET

>The movie justifies this idiotic moral by having the characters achieve their insipid dreams through luck and happenstance rather than hard work.

I know its just hp pasta but its true.

Its similar with hp, it teach kids that loosers will be winners one day and its not working in real life.

Similar with:
>be a nice guy and gentelment and women will appreciate this and love you

and it always end like this
>Chad fuck her bareback in the anus and dump while nice guy put ice on her sore anus and says that chad love her.

I saw it and I enjoyed it. It's not deep, but it's fun.

Looked good, nice music but half baked. Good performance from the leads. I did like them following their dreams but not getting everything.

it's well made but the characters are unlikeable, the dialogue is stupid, the subject matter is inane dramatization about Hollywood nonsense that's been done a thousand times before

But again it is a very well made film so I would maybe even recommend it just for that. Certainly not as good as the director's previous work though

Same

seriously though I feel bad for Tom Hulce, he never got teen girls creaming over him for learning a hundred different Mozart songs when he didn't even know how to play piano before taking the role in Amadeus

How fucking good is this scene though:

youtube.com/watch?v=-ciFTP_KRy4

Nothing in La La Land matches the level of kino in the above scene.

La La Land is the true glib facsimile of musicals.

>glib facsimile
fuck i forgot about this meme

Goose was nominated for the wrong movie desu

Just think, the same people who like this movie are the same people who listen to John Legend.

this film better for women.

sure, seb gets his jazz club, but where's his new lover?? why isnt she laying across the piano singing all sexy like???

...because its okay if men never find love again, he was just a stepping stone in her life... now he drinks whiskey and fucks prostitutes... shes rich and famous... the end.

can someone recommend a film like LA LA land but the couple actually gets back together?? asking cause my ex is living in another city and this film has given her closure...

How is it about not working hard to achieve your dreams, they both main characters are devoting so much of their time and effort to becoming successful that it becomes a fucking point of conflict

>I got cucked and this movie triggers me

>only 5 songs, none memorable
>not a single funny scene
>emma stone just likes ryan gosling for no reason, he literally puts in no effort to get her as a gf
>"sad ending" where they both achieve their dreams, but have to sacrifice their relationship (big deal)
6/10 movie

>Is it any good?

Yeah. La La Land shows how everyone who moves to LA to be a star is a delusional faggot.

>The movie promises an homage to old Hollywood classics and that's what it delivers.

I have to respect Stone and Gosling for learning how to sing and dance, and the Goose for learning piano.

Time to find a new club.

>All those people all wanting to make it big in LA. That would make for a very miserable population when the vast majority of them fail.

Boulevard of broken dreams.

>Yeah. La La Land shows how everyone who moves to LA to be a star is a delusional faggot.
except mia became a star and seb achieved his goals too

Every movie is dishonest.

But sometimes a lie can point to truth.

>Hollywood hasn't put out a movie this self-masturbatory since The Artist.

It's the definition of Oscar bait.

Hollywood loves movies about itself. Reminds me of how Stone was also in Birdman.

This. The film's conflict is between love and ambition.

Yeah that's how triggers work. They reopen old wounds.

Irresponsible and dishonest film making.

You're forgetting all the nobodies idling on the freeway in the start of the movie. The delusional faggots moving to LA.

2 out of 100 people achieving something does not negate the 98 failures.

Plus, their success came at a cost. Love gets ground up in La La Land. That could arguably even be a point about how relationships in Hollywood almost never last.

There's a film club that hangs out in the bar underneath my local theater.

Naturally I was quite jelly and wanted to get in on this, as I got closer I heard a guy with a nu-male beard and glasses go "yah the dicaprio totally deserved the academy award for the Revenant" and then this girl goes "I love that DC is finally going into a strong female direction, maybe I'll actually watch one of their movies xDD"

As an auteur of Capekino and was naturally disgusted so I lifted my dark cape and took my leave.

>> This. The film's conflict is between love and ambition.

We don't see Mia's acting range, or intensity of rehearsals, just a handful of weak auditions. We see Mia writing her one-woman play ONCE. Acting and writing are two very different things to aspire to. What the fuck does she really want?

We're not sure if Sebastion wanted to own a club, become a jazz sensation, or showcase jazz. Those are 3 VERY different character goals and passions. What the fuck does he really want?

The love story begins with two people who are shitty to each other, and rather unlikable. Yes, I'm sure they're relatable to portions of the audience, but definitely not LIKEABLE.

If you're not sold by the quality of the music and the choreography, then that argument/dinner scene falls flat and ANNOYING as fuck. Here we have these two people who started off as jerks and now we're supposed to care that they're arguing?

Not until Sebastian encourages Mia to go to her interview does ANY REAL ACTING START. And that's at the ass-end of the movie.

(1/2)

(2/2)

It makes no sense whatsoever that Sebastian suddenly quit touring, because there was never any sense of impending doom or time running out in the storyline of him getting his own jazz bar. It had been implied that playing with the band was ENHANCING his appreciation of jazz. Why the fuck did he quit touring after we just saw that he wasn't suffering any real emotional turmoil from breaking up with Mia "No you can't talk to Mia! She's NOT here and I won't give her a message!"

The only thing that makes sense is Mia abandoning Seb, because she's been a selfish cunt up until now. But wait, she SOUGHT Sebastian out in the first place, so then I guess she didn't love him? But wait, then she has a fantasy flashback full of regret? Why???

Okay, now we're back to the story making no sense.

FUCK THIS MOVIE.

Plot hole: Sebastian's success has been paying for their lifestyle and contributing to Mia's project. That is never addressed and apparently not a big deal to Mia, when she questions his career choice or when she breaks up with him. "I can't even pay the theater now." Congrats, now you're a selfish asshole, too.

And fuck the people who thought it was *HIS* fantasy. He just played some notes on a piano. Everything was from HER point of view, she just plugged him into her life events.

my nig, i can't believe how many people are just saying the opening number is best and everything else is forgettable.

except there's not ten of them coming out a year

Thats the definition my dude

>Visual and Environmental Studies

I guess the Social Work & Marine Biology major wasn't available.

It's technically amazing but the plot is boring.

I feel like I saw the exact same storyline in New York, New York.

No, very overrated, self-masturbatory drivel. It doesn't deserve the Oscar nominations it got. But if you have a vagina you will love La La Land, because the film was made for you.