The Great Debate

The Great Debate

Attached: thththrhekfndkhfblkfglkjfl.jpg (1170x877, 483K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Best artist of all time against two literal whos
>Great debate

bass>>>>>>>>>>>>>steel string acoustic>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nylon string

Tim Buckley

Mac Demarco

Leonard assfucks both of them for breakfast

> making yourself look like an idiot because you don't know two of the most famous folk musicians in history

Patricians: Cohen
Plebs: Dylan
Contrarians: Young

Dylan > Cohen > Mitchell > Van Zandt > Waits > Young > Springsteen > Lennon > Simon > Townshend

all good though

I get the debate between Dylan and Young, but what is Adam Sandler doing there? Is this some kind of joke?

Neil, easily. His music actually sounds good, which can't be said for the other two.

Leonard's the best lyricist
Neil's the best arranger and musician
Dylan's the best songwriter

Based Neil Young who has consistently released innovative and interesting music even to this day vs 2 hacks who have literally and musically died with 0 great albums to their name.

Who is who?

Honestly? It's Neil

Bob, no contest.

Attached: 21BBC648-DD0B-492D-B7B5-969999CD0CBF.jpg (300x300, 27K)

Leonard > Neil > Dylan
Its actually hard for me to enjoy Dylan.

Adam Sandler>Dylan>Neil

Left is Cate Blanchett, middle is Dustin Hoffman, right is Michael Shannon.

Dylan at his best > Young at his best > Cohen in general > Young at his worst > Dylan at his worst

Neil>Dylan>Cohen

I think Neil comes out as the one that effects me the most, as well as inspires me the most, either through the combination of fingerpicking and a fragile voice or through extreme distortion and manic whammy bar playing. Dylan is an insane lyricist but he lacks that raw power

Neil Young you dopes

>he lacks that raw power
Listen to pic related.

Attached: dylan.jpg (550x550, 67K)

This.

Attached: timbuckley20.jpg (1422x1075, 125K)

I'm not too familiar with the Bootleg series, so I'll definitely check this out, thanks!

I literally only listen to Dylan out of this.

>raw power

Listen to Blind Willie McTell (the song). That alone might change your mind.

You do know that Bob Dylan is not dead, right?

>The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan
>Bringing it all Back Home
>Highway 61 Revisited
>Blonde on Blonde
>John Wesley Harding
>Blood on the Tracks
>Time out of Mind
>Love and Theft
>Modern Times

All of the above are close to perfect albums and that’s ignoring the Bootleg series and the great songs strewn among many of Dylan’s other albums.

what? he died in 2009. there was a huge thing. it was on tv for a week.

Attached: 1482420100166.jpg (320x240, 16K)

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is one of my favorite albums of all times, but it may be partly because I love the movie so much.

I left out a few of my favourite albums on that list, those are just the ones I think don’t have a single mediocre song.

simply eric

Nice filename you fag

Bill Hader is pretty funny I guess. Definitely better than Adam Sandler, but Andy Samberg is definitely the best

Obviously nobel prize Winner

Attached: 210E3B1A-CC7D-4929-AA3B-C8D2897EE585.jpg (1024x1024, 142K)

youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

Phil Ochs.

correct

SO LOVE ME LOVE ME LOVE ME

>there are people who actually believe any of these three are in the same conversation as each other
This is why rockists are fucking retarded, comparing and contrasting artists who aren't even in the same generation or genre

Van Zandt > Dylan > Cohen > Springsteen > Waits > Who Cares

>artists who aren't even in the same generation or genre
Except they literally are.

Attached: 1519352636514.gif (220x212, 2.57M)

Dylan paved the way for the other two, not the same generation you fucking retard, the other guys emerged in a world full of hundreds of major artists who were all covering Dylan and in awe of him, it's the very opposite of being in the same generation, they are from the post-Dylan generation

That's not what "generation" means. Cohen was older than Dylan and Young despite his name is barely any younger. They were all contemporaries for a good chunk of the prime of their careers.

Yeah no shit Dylan created the archetype for modern songwriters that allowed Young and Cohen to exist but framing that as a "generational" thing is still pretty fucking retarded. Cohen was hanging around the Greenwich village beatniks years before Dylan even got there. And even still I don't think that makes any comparisons completely futile. Cohen was always more literary, Young more authentically rootsy even though all three were working within the same tradition. I tend to actually agree that calling really any contemporary songwriter "better" than Dylan is pretty clueless but still there's no need to be so fucking pedantic.

Actually, let me rephrase this using the "generational" mindset. They're still all of the same generation, Dylan was just the first one of that generation. He started it with Freewheelin' but that doesn't mean he's separate from it.

You have to be pedantic because they came out of the most fruitful period of music history, it's incredibly dismissive to compare Dylan to people who came after him as if they are the same thing

I don't care about how old the guys were, like both Young and Dylan were heavily inspired by Elvis but it doesn't matter because they did not become relevant figures in music at the same time

Cohen and Young both emerged as Dylan went into his first retirement after which he was never the same, so it's like saying none of that stuff that made him who he was is relevant and only comparing everything after

And then of course, there is the genre distinction, none of the three of them come from the same genres...the folk tradition before rock music was taken seriously, the chanson and other sung poetry movement of Europe and Vietnam rock are not the same genres

The music world developed so rapidly in the 60's that something like six years is a huge difference and it does matter, Dylan was so hotly anticipated people were putting out his songs before he did, he wasn't some contemporary of these two people nobody had heard of at the time

I agree with most of this but at a certain point who the fuck cares. Blood On The Tracks, New Skin For The Old Ceremony and Harvest are all clearly adjacent works in non-negligible ways. At the end of the day they are all working within the same introspective songwriting tradition and there are far more similarities between what they're fundamentally doing than there are differences.

Sgt. Pepper couldn't have existed without Pet Sounds and Pet Sounds couldn't have existed without Be My Baby. I'm not saying to ignore the contextual reality of these things but if we're going to be restrained by it to the point where we can't even discuss their similarities and differences then what's even the point of discussing this shit altogether. Again, just come on. We're talking Dylan and Cohen here. I'm not trying to compare Blind Willie Johsnon and fucking Devo or anything outrageous like that.

Dylan is objectively the best

They’re all so fucking trite and shit it’s unbelievable, listen to Nick Drake if you want a folk musician, or don’t since the quality will be wasted on you anyways, considering you give a single fuck about any of these people in the first place.

Why does this dude trigger /lit/tards again?

>listen to Nick Drake if you want a folk musician
Nick Drake phase? I see.

Stop acting like Nick Drake is obscure or the epitome of good folk music you absolute fucking pleb. He released three good albums then died. His relevance rapidly fades the older you get, it’s music for melancholic young men.

Dylan threw away more brilliant songs than is contained in the sum total of Nick Drake’s work.

Because the comparisons are always made by uninformed mouthbreathers who want to act as if their contrarianism is valid and then it always devolves into garbage like this where in every single thread, every one

Once you start comparing artists that have nothing to do with each other as equals, you come up with making people think it's okay to call Sufjan Stevens the best folk musician

Are you 15?

I remember my Nick Drake phase when I was 17, I put my mum off him by playing the same three albums on repeat.

I’m 29 now and long since grew out of it, in retrospect he’s a pretty mediocre songwriter but some of the instrumental stuff is decent.

Not a bad way to break it down.

For me, it comes down to Dylan and Cohen. I think Leonard is usually a more cerebral, esoteric, and articulate lyricist (not necessarily the better one, though). Dylan tends toward a more rustic, inarticulate style of writing, but I think his instincts as a poet/story-teller are easily on-par with Cohen's.

Left out The Basement Tapes and The Times They are A'Changin'

>The Basement Tapes
Half-finished songs by their very nature can’t be perfect. Sorry.

>The Times They Are a Changin’
Debatable but I just think it lost a lot of the magic of Freewheelin’. Several of the songs are quite samey and a bit of a rush job. I think it shows in this album that Bob was starting to get tired of the whole protest shtick.

>half-finished
According to whom? Unpolished does not equal unfinished. Basement Tapes is a 10/10.

I want to be better than all these men

fucking neil my guy

Love them all. I'd pick Neil just because he's the most diverse, he's done lots of different styles from grunge to synthpop to noise.

>Leonard's the best lyricist
O i am laffin

>It's better to be a jack of all trades and a master of none

Neil's the best live performer out of the three.

this guy speaks the truth

Dylan is best songwriter, Neil is best musician, Cohen best voice? Not sure what Cohen has that competes to the others.

Dylan is inarguably the best artist. Neil is a really great musician, but he doesn't have the same quality as dylan. Cohen for the contrarians.

pleb

correct

fpbp

This

Attached: 3F787D05-D417-4497-9455-1B407487AEB5.jpg (471x594, 76K)

I really wish the peak of Neil Young's career wasn't just five guitar solos, I really wish he had at some point in his career done a full guitar album instead of putting his best songs on inconsistent albums, his music almost never comes anywhere close to what the reviews claim