There are people who didn't understand this movie

>there are people who didn't understand this movie

and that's when it was, again, confirmed that people are idiots

The time travel shit was as stupid as Interstellar.

>want to watch it badly, but I'm busy with college, postpone it because I can wait a bit
>retarded as fuck local cinema replaces the movie ONE WEEK AFTER RELEASE
Same shit happened with Split and now I can't meme about kino. Are they already available for torrenting?

Dvd screener is out

Arrival is coming back to theaters this Friday, user

What do you mean people dont understand it? its pretty straight forward, but then again so was inception and people didnt get it.
Btw it was pretty good, added to my existential kino list.

Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened

You don't have to like it, doesn't change that it wasn't hard to understand

who knew that a cashew is an aerodynamical shape for a spaceship

>a ship needs to be aerodynamic in space

>post about dunning-kruger
>is dunning-kruger the post

when pseudo-intellect goes meta

God you really love this tranny fucker

>Comparing the typical american garbage movie interstellar with arrival
Come on bruh, realized the non linearity of the scenes as soon as the girl mentioned her father btw.
Its more of an existential movie than a scifi movie autismo, the theme of the movie is embracing our mortality and other's gracefully.
>Aerodynamical
>Spaceship
Do you even know what aerodynamic means? here is a tip AERO

Where you live, maybe. I'm not american and even when there are specific national schedules for movies here, like it should be, these cinemas do whatever they fucking want.

I just saw this tonight

>do you want to make a baby
>yeah

what in the fucking shit is this fucking fuck fu ck

does sexual determinism make you uncomfortable?

are the heptapods a reference to tralfamadorians

i think so. I though of them when she mentioned that some things might be so instinctual to them that they don't understand the question "why"

I know right? I will never make a baby with a red head qt
But then again my children wont probably have a terminal genetic disease

fell asleep after the occasionally hesitant but totally strongk independent woman advocates diplomacy.

If this movie was made by an American director the aliens would had cured the little girl at the end.
I for one welcome our non obese intellectual foreign overlords

Could you please tell me in detail why I'm pseudo-intellectual? Thanks daddy

Butterfly Effect
>with ayyyliens

it really hit me when the lady was tlaking to the one alien in their misty stuff and his tentacles sort of looked like a hand, and i was like, he kinda looks like an upsidedown tralfamadorian. plus their whole "we see thru time" thing. well i guess they "speak" thru time or soemthing but still.

they're not space travellers, they're 4th dimensional

No they're not

Westworld at least can lead to philosophical pondering g, arrival leaves you nothing to think about, there's nothing presented to continue working your brain over after it's done.
Fucking contact was better in literally every sense. Only idiots and redditors "find" depth in this hollow film.

did you fucking see them take off into space at the end of the movie? no, they fucking disappeared into clouds. they're 4th dimensional.

>time travel

there isn't any time travel

Do you really have to worry about wind resistance when traveling across dimensions?

Did you even watch Cosmos?

2Deep4U

> tfw I can't post a Carlos with this

>people talk about determinism and time travel despite neither of those things being in the movie

Amy adams made it pretty clear that she was making a conscious choice to still have a baby despite knowing her child would die

Your opinion is why people hate this film

>IT WAS JUST 2DEEP4U IDIOTS!

It was a good movie and I enjoyed it a lot but almost everything is explained in a fairly straight forward manor

Maybe they didn't give a shit about language and just wanted explosions? They're plebs and normies but not exactly idiots

>The double meaning to everything during the beginning voice over

I was shocked in the reddit discussion thread how many people were hating on this based film.

But why did they need help from a species that was not as smart as them?

they weren't worried about wind resistance.

do you even understand the concept of dimensions? probably not.

Did you see they had the title card for the movie placed at the end? There were a lot of little things that made the movie very enjoyable

They need the help of said species when the species has advanced for 3000 years after having been given the language.

>hurr durr, time is a dimension
eat a fourth dimensional dick, faggot

Like we make a concious choice to keep on living despite knowing we are going to end up old and die miserable in a wheelchair shitting ourselves.
That's what the movie is about, only brainlets get flustered about the sci fi elements.

He already has and will.

deep

What makes you think in 3k years we wont surpass them?
Japan was infighting with bow and arrows when the west found them, look at them now.

samefag

faggot

Wrong. Fuck off to a Nolan thread, autist.

>implying technological progression is predictable
Lot of things can happen between now and 5017, user. Might not even be a humanity in 3k years.

>considering the moral implications of Amy Adam's character knowing the future and continuing on a path of known suffering for her family anyways.
>not philosophical pondering.

explaining things in a straightforward and direct manner is how science works. it's part of why i liked the movie.

Isnt that my exact point? nobody would had ever believed some rice monkeys would surpass Britain in science when they were first discovered.

O B S E S S E D
B
S
S
E
S
E
D

>surpass Britain
Just wait till Brexit happens, we'll be ahead of the slanty eyed wogs in no time m8

It's not much of a philosophical stretch of the brain buddy. It's quite easy to imagine that the enjoyment of having the time they had with her daughter would out weigh the grief.
Wow, much thought, so deep.

>there are people who think they're intelligent because they understood this movie

>Don't understand it.

There isn't much to understand. It's just not that good. Dishonest film making at it's worst.

>American film
>Russia and china are always evil

can you fucks STOP with the propaganda for ONE film jesus christ

>lol I said the meme again

I dont get it, whats not to understand? the movie is pretty damn straight forward and spells everything out

That guy you're replying to is exactly the type of person the OP is talking about.

Nothing will trigger me harder than Inception.

You can hate it all you want, but that shit is not hard to understand. Convoluted sure, but it still follows its own logic.

>>Russia and china are always evil

But they LITERALLY are.

>they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences

The Dunning-Kruger Effect is when someone exceptionally skilled views themselves as average or below average, assuming that what comes easy to them must come easy to everyone, and that those smarter or more skilled than them must be the average.

It's NOT about average people seeing themselves as above average. You couldn't have gotten it more wrong.

I can't even try to think of something more ironic

The screenshot itself has both definitions so you're both wrong in a way

>tfw you can never cite dunning-kruger because you know the first and immediate response will be claiming you're suffering from dunning-kruger

Its a single term to describe to very different behaviors.

Its kinda retarded.

Name one work of science fiction that, in some way shape or form, doesn't go into detail about the concepts contained therein.

>The future can be changed
>Imma have dis retard baby

Id have left her too.

There is nothing to understand. Its a very straight forward movie. My gf loved it. English isnt even her first language and she didnt miss anything.

Turns out she was wrong about the future being able to be changed.

That isnt what happens in the film.

Hope "le dishonest" meme fades out just like the "le glib facsimile" meme.

It is, though. Everything that happened was pre-determined. The characters misinterpreted what it actually meant.

I dont want my gf to watch this movie because she probably would grow reluctant to the idea of aborting a fetus with genetic diseases.
One moment you are watching kino with your gf and the other you are forced to raise a down syndrome potato

What is there to "get"? Jesus christ

Kek sure thing bud

>an island full of drunken monkeys is going to surpass anybody in anything
face it. the time when the sun never set on the british empire will never return

this

Just call it what it is, pleb shit for imdb """""film buffs"""""

The movie was alright. The acting and the cinematography was great, but the aliens were completely unnecessary. The whole point of the movie was to tell the story of a mother's heartbreak, since the start of the movie. To be entirely fair, the only point of the aliens was to build up to the very end where Amy Adams suddenly can see the future - or whatever the fuck "time is a full circle" - just so that she can make the choice, when posed with the question "would you go through with having a daughter even though you know she will end up dying?", she can say "yes, because it is better to have experienced the loss than to not have experienced it at all."

The movie was total false advertising. The aliens were stupid macguffins in order to build up to the last 5 minutes of the film.

The same people that are stupid enough to not get such a straight forward plot are the same people who thought you could stop an interstellar civilization from genociding your species with a block of c4

chazelle, pls

>they arrived
left the theater right then

You left the theater just after the movie ended? You mean, you didn't stay the night at the cinema? What kind of barbarian are you?

WEB-DL is out next week. Blu-ray rip in later February.

YEAH LETS JUST BRING A BABY INTO THIS WORLD AND LET IT SUFFER THROUGH A DISEASE BECAUSE MUH LOVE
FUCK YOU AMY ADAMS GOOD JOB MAKING YOUR DAUGHTER MISERABLE YOU CUNT

Most amazing fact about the writing of Arrival (which was quite good, by the way):

The screenwriter, Eric Heisserer, also wrote the bullshit that is the following:

>A Nightmare on Elm Street reboot
>Final Destination 5
>The third reboot of The Thing
>Hours starring Paul Walker
>and now he's making a new Van Helsing movie.

Did this guy just get really lucky? Or has he been suppressing his talent until Arrival, only to make is dormant again?

I can understand why you might think that. They made some big mistakes in this film.

>hur durr! look at me, i'm smart i understood the movie and some people did not. Those people are retarded, i'm smart look at me everyone i'm smarter then you Hur dur dur dur dur!

Van Helsing will be the GOAT, screencap this.

It was shitty version of 'Slaughter House Five'. What's there to get?

If you're one of those people that said Amy Adams had her kid when she shouldn't have you literally didn't understand the movie

She can't not choose to have it. She always has it. There's no point in time at which she's not going to have it. At the same time there could be a moment where she could choose to say no, she's living in the same moment where she's literally having the kid and also the kid is dying. Time is fixed, she can just see it all at once.

Sorry if this hurts your "muh free will"

>all humanity must unite to advance and save our race
>giant propaganda to submit to a new world order with one ruler so we can advance with ayylmao's
She saw her daughter die from disease and it seems her husband leaves her, why not alter the future if you could see it? like marry blackman with eye problem instead

wtf are you talking about?! Amy Adams clearly explains to her daughter that she told Ian about the CHOICE she made and he thought she CHOSE wrong.

another shitty movie with bullshit time travel cliches
what is to understand or not understand
>sob story
>linguistic crap
>time travel revelation
>more crap
Biggest plot hole is if the aliens could see it they would have already known human language and start communicating nearly instantly, drop them a usb stick and leave earth immediately

It would have been better if it was just about arrival of aliens and no time travel

kek

true

There isn't any time travel involved, my dude. And that's not a plot hole, I hate to break it to you.

The movie spelled out why the aliens couldn't just do that.

You filthy skank.

They know the human language from the start, we just think that we are teaching them ours language when they are infact teaching the humans their non-linear language.

Again, you just had to watch at the goddamn screen to get info, pretty straightforward.

And dropping a usb stick with millions of circles wouldn't be of much help.

She can't have another kid until the first one's cancer takes its course.

The world can't be united under the alien language unless she sacrifices her daughter.

That her sacrifice takes the form of a daughter is not even a narrativenecessity, it just so happens the central protag is of child-bearing age so the simplest internal conflict would be that of a loss of progeny cf. the Hebe story of Abraham.

t. retard.

There is no time travel you dumb fuck.

>Its more of an existential movie than a scifi movie autismo, the theme of the movie is embracing our mortality and other's gracefully.

This guy.