The BEST Rock and Roll music has to offer. Full stop

The BEST Rock and Roll music has to offer. Full stop

Attached: ASHETON-obit-web-master1050.jpg (1050x702, 167K)

Other urls found in this thread:

unipv.it/britishrock1966-1976/pdf/mooreeng.pdf
academia.edu/16418359/From_Crimson_King_To_Crafty_Master.
songsouponsea.com/Keeling/Keeling-InTheCourtOfTheCrimsonKing.html
songsouponsea.com/Keeling/Keeling-Red.html
pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6ef6/1bcfa2c0c55c8b25f62748abc1067182dd17.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This is not King Crimson

LOOOOOOOOORD

If we're rolling back the definition of rock and roll to a really circumscribed standard I agree.

>circumscribed

Attached: 1499997805551.jpg (345x336, 214K)

it's a word

>it's a word

Attached: abc.jpg (356x400, 65K)

you need to leave Sup Forums

don't send him off you meanie

I agree 100% OP. The pinnacle of rock.

While i like many prog bands i think they sort of got the idea of rock music wrong. They are trying to compete in the same league as classical music and jazz and in that competition they never really stood a chance.

>While i like many prog bands i think they sort of got the idea of rock music wrong. They are trying to compete in the same league as classical music and jazz and in that competition they never really stood a chance.
Compete? You definitely got something wrong.

My wording wasn't the best there. I guess what i meant to say is that the prog bands wanted to accomplish largely the same goals as classical composers an/or jazz musicians but generally didn't succeed in it nearly as well.

was obviously meant for

>My wording wasn't the best there. I guess what i meant to say is that the prog bands wanted to accomplish largely the same goals as classical composers an/or jazz musicians but generally didn't succeed in it nearly as well.
How did they not succeed? Their work has been recognized and analyzed by the academia. All very interesting reads, enjoy:
unipv.it/britishrock1966-1976/pdf/mooreeng.pdf
academia.edu/16418359/From_Crimson_King_To_Crafty_Master.
songsouponsea.com/Keeling/Keeling-InTheCourtOfTheCrimsonKing.html
songsouponsea.com/Keeling/Keeling-Red.html
pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6ef6/1bcfa2c0c55c8b25f62748abc1067182dd17.pdf

When it comes to innovation(highly valued trait in classical music) or pure musicianship (highly valued trait in jazz) they just don't stand a chance against the masters of jazz and classical, who also very clearly influenced KC's music. It's still very interesting music for a rock band and of course you would find a bunch of analysis on their music. That doesn't mean much tho, i mean there's a plethora of papers written on the fucking Beatles too.

Lark's Tongues/Red-era KC could compete with a good number of jazz bands. Bruford was a trained jazz musician.

>That doesn't mean much tho, i mean there's a plethora of papers written on the fucking Beatles too.
That doesn't mean the Beatles had the same motivation as progressive rock bands and doesn't make the music comparable. Even jazz musicians say that blues and jazz are one, and surely enough, they never truly escaped it (even though it's far less sophisticated than jazz). I wouldn't say there is a devide between jazz, classical music and progressive rock (including similar genres and subgenres of it).

>KC could compete with a good number of jazz bands.

Yea i guess but not with the greats. Rock music in general just doesn't have the sense of timbral and rhytmic dynamicity and expressiveness that most jazz musicians spend their whole lives cultivating. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's a different genre with different aesthetic goals and to me, Stooges achieved those goals better than any other band.

>Rock music in general just doesn't have the sense of timbral and rhytmic dynamicity and expressiveness that most jazz musicians spend their whole lives cultivating. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's a different genre with different aesthetic goals and to me, Stooges achieved those goals better than any other band.
But how do you say The Stooges achieved this, when there are bands such as Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Don Caballero, Henry Cow and Mothers of Invention among others? I would guess because it's your personal taste and preferences, nothing more.

Look, the one true innovation of rock music was the idea that you could convey raw emotion and energy through music, that's it.
The more technical viewpoints of music (instrumental virtuosity, harmonic/melodic innovation etc.) had already been refined by classical and jazz musicians for years and years. Then prog rockers sort of came along and thought to "give those things a go", while in reality, no rock musician can outdo classical composers in terms of innovation or musical complexity. And while i like most of the bands you mentioned, i still think that prog is in a way a dumbed down version of art music.

Now Stooges on the other hand tried to do something completely different. They knew what the strenghts of rock music were and elaborated on them creating extremely fascinating albums.

Unironically the Stones.

Upon scanning this post, I saw "KC" and was hoping you meant KC of KC & the Sunshine Band. so maybe not "rock" like you mean rock, but it sure is great music with about 1000 layers going on.

Otherwise, this is the answer. pic related

Attached: Humble-Pie-Performance-Complete-OV-23-600x600.jpg (600x600, 88K)

Even at their worst they were better than 99% of people at their best

Attached: hfdgdfdgdfddfgd.jpg (1426x1426, 370K)

AND DO YA FEEL IT
SAID DO YA FEEL IT WHEN YA TOUCH ME